Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so because they were fined in the past, that means it was the right thing to do? because they were fined, that means that shootings 3s are bad?

i honestly find it astonishing how you continue to make ridiculous claims, and never have a shred of worthwhile evidence to back yourself up.

"durhuhuhrrhhrhrh bigs were fined for shooting 3s back in the day so that is PROOF that its a bad strategy that no one should use!!!!!"

most illogical.
    Exactly of anything it shows that 90s coaches had an antiquated backwards mentality

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Exactly of anything it shows that 90s coaches had an antiquated backwards mentality
    im especially curious of all these 6'8 160lb players that lebomb says exists today

are there even any?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im especially curious of all these 6'8 160lb players that lebomb says exists today

are there even any?

Exaggerated a bit to get my point across, but look at the typical 6'-7-6'-8" player. They weigh 180-185lbs. Very thin and loooooong is Todays NBA. No wonder we see so many ACL and Achilles injuries. Deez s need to eat a sammich or two.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Exaggerated a bit to get my point across, but look at the typical 6'-7-6'-8" player. They weigh 180-185lbs. Very thin and loooooong is Todays NBA. No wonder we see so many ACL and Achilles injuries. Deez s need to eat a sammich or two.
    id like to see proof of that

take for example one of the skinniest players in the league, brandon ingram, he's actually 190

so I'm curious if you can produce 20 cases of 180-185 lbs players in the 6'7 - 6'8 range who a actually get regular minutes, since you claim that's the typical weight for such typical players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/3/...breaking-point

According to sbnation, even nba insiders are worried that the proliferation of threes are ruining basketball as geny in styles is boring (well duh), but here we have a couple of self made experts claiming this is not a problem at all.

Then you have Dwayne Casey, who was a head coach known for designing defensive systems saying that it’s much easier to penetrate the paint when you aren’t allowed to touch anyone on defence, and we have the same self made expert claiming that todays nba players have this seemingly evolutionary ability to suddenly becoming much better athletes and claiming yesterdays nba players just somehow can’t compete in today’s nba as if players aren’t adapted to the new rules nor given the same training.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Most the NCAA blue bloods had a historically poor season. Exactly why I stuck with the College game - coaching matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year's been kind of an anomaly it seems. I think some of it has to do with no fans, more normal schedules, and players trying to conserve energy. Players are just more comfortable out there and the fans aren't there to energize the home team on D and intimidate the away team. I'd be curious to see how things change when fans can come back.

As for the overall trend of the game. It's about numbers. 3 pointers are just the more effective shot, so why not jack them up if you can, especially when defenses aren't allowed to play you tight or make you uncomfortable? The combination of historically elite shooting at just about every position, along with crackdowns on physical defense, and a refusal to crack down on offensive contact initiation and hilariously illegal screens has made individual defense almost impossible. You need to have a locked in, synchronized team D to have a chance, and most teams can't be bothered to do so. They would rather just out-chuck the other team from 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I agree with Neo, championship level teams haven't changed much in terms of their balanced attacks and elite defenses. It's the other 26 or so teams though that ruin it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My wife was watching an NBA game last night, and although she defends Todays NBA (basketball in general), she pointed out there was at least 7-8 possessions in a row during the game where a 3pt shot was taken and BRICKED. There were plenty of opportunities to move the ball around, and get a nice 2pt shot. But a quick 3pt shot was taken instead.

Todays NBA

My wife cannot even defend this anymore.
    Last edited by lebomb; 03-15-2021 at 09:01 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I agree with Neo, championship level teams haven't changed much in terms of their balanced attacks and elite defenses. It's the other 26 or so teams though that ruin it
    That Lakers team that won last season is first or second round fodder in a lot of years, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My wife was watching an NBA game last night, and although she defends Todays NBA (basketball in general), she pointed out there was at least 7-8 possessions in a row during the game where a 3pt shot was taken and BRICKED. There were plenty of opportunities to move the ball around, and get a nice 2pt shot. But a quick 3pt shot was taken instead.

Todays NBA

She tried to communicate something to you and you missed

She meant to ay you have been bricking lately

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

Todays NBA

and vice versa the exact same could be said about 80s and 90s ball where on dozens of possessions each game there would be 4-5 wide open 3pt shots available on a possession that were passed up because they were incapable of hitting it, or would rather force a contested hook or midrange shot simply because its a "better shot" that they bricked anyways

yesterdays nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and vice versa the exact same could be said about 80s and 90s ball where on dozens of possessions each game there would be 4-5 wide open 3pt shots available on a possession that were passed up because they were incapable of hitting it, or would rather force a contested hook or midrange shot simply because its a "better shot" that they bricked anyways

yesterdays nba

Chuck away then.....doesn't matter when, from what distance, if there is a fast break or not, if there are rebounders, doesn't matter at all. Just chuck that M/F. Pull up from just inside the half court line with 22 seconds left on the shot clock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yesterdays nba
    Defenses leaving Magic Johnson and Dennis Johnson wide open
    and they were guards
    the disrespect

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Chuck away then.....doesn't matter when, from what distance, if there is a fast break or not, if there are rebounders, doesn't matter at all. Just chuck that M/F. Pull up from just inside the half court line with 22 seconds left on the shot clock.
    no one said chucking brainlessly is good strategy either. however it doesnt happen nearly as much as you suggest.

the scenario you just described maybe happens once a game, if that, and is usually done only by guys who are actually capable of hitting those kinds of shots on a consistent basis like steph, dame or trae.

championship ball always has been and always will be the same strategy - a balanced offense, versatile defense, executes basic fundamentals well, and effectively attacks opponent weaknesses. every era has its popular strategies, which inherently have flaws. in the past, where defenses were forced into a lot of one-on-one situations, post up players were most effective. over the past 15 years with more restrictions placed on physicality, but limits greatly released on defensive strategies, dribble penetration and deeper shooting is much more effective now.

ive said it plenty of times, yet somehow i continue to get labeled as a guy who loves the modern game. but its not exactly my favorite style to watch either. i simply understand the style and see why its an effective strategy, because of how the rules are and how the game is officiated. i also think its absolute crap to just say "oh if you stick shaq or mike in the modern game they would win 10 rings in a row because less size and no handchecking!!!1!!1!1", because the illegal defense rules allowed them to be far more effective as one-on-one players. it was especially obvious in shaqs case with how quickly he declined, despite being bigger and stronger than every player in the NBA, and clear proof of it was the finals against detroit. all that being said, i want to see some major changes.

personally, i would love to see the 3pt line pushed out a foot (and made the same distance all around, instead of a shorter corner shot), adjust the rules that award fouls so easily for offensive players initiating unnatural contact (a huge reason for reduced defensive physicality), and stronger enforcement of anti-flopping rules (another reason for reduced defensive physicality). then we will get a nice balance of both worlds, and i personally feel will result in the best basketball product possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should cancel the 3 pt line tbh lol, just to see how players would react

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Todays NBA

That is not so bad. In fact by the numbers, it's even a good shot in today's NBA. But that sh** wouldn't be so much a norm if it wasn't pussy ball.

Have the Mavs game on in the background right now. Mavs got down by 14. But Donkey can just dribble up tra la la la and shoot from two feet behind the line barely contested again and again and the lead is down to 3. It's not real basketball. It's for neckbeards getting thrills up their legs watching 25 footers go through the net.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    That is not so bad. In fact by the numbers, it's even a good shot in today's NBA. But that sh** wouldn't be so much a norm if it wasn't pussy ball.

Have the Mavs game on in the background right now. Mavs got down by 14. But Donkey can just dribble up tra la la la and shoot from two feet behind the line barely contested again and again and the lead is down to 3. It's not real basketball. It's for neckbeards getting thrills up their legs watching 25 footers go through the net.
    define "real basketball"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    define "real basketball"
    rEaL mEn mUhpHysIcAlLiTy , dEcApiTaTeD eVeRyTiMe yOu WeNt tO tHe bAsKeT huuuuurrrrrr duurrrrrrrrrrrr

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    define "real basketball"
    If you need it defined for you, you're the pussy I speak of.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    If you need it defined for you, you're the pussy I speak of.
    I want to know your definition

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to know your definition
    That's nice.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    They should cancel the 3 pt line tbh lol, just to see how players would react
    Confusion followed by dribbling out of bounds for the uncontested shot

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    derp folds again

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you tin me? All kinds of thangs have changed.

4 on 1 fast breaks and a 3pt shot is taken
    No defense, players roll to the rim uncontested
    No player movement on offense, s just standing around waiting for a 3 ball
    Players taking shots that would have got you benched in the REAL NBA
    6'-8" 160 lb SGs
    6'-8' 160 lb PGs
    6'-8" 160 lb PFs
    6'-8" 160 lb SFs
    Real Centers - Embid, Rudy Gobert and maybe Jokic

All kinds of has changed.

Todays NBA
    A dude like Boban would be an all-star if the game were played right. Instead he's just an after thought.

Thread Information