Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yep, Shaq would get fouled relentlessly and would clack free throws. But, he would destroy slammin that biach down on 95% of the players in the league. Shaq would not struggle in the least bit. These 168 lb, P/Fs, S/F, positionless players would get run smooth over by Shaq.
    you obviously do not understand how zone defensive concepts would greatly limit the types of looks he used to be able to experience. if he actually had some ball handling skills to be able to create his own looks then it would be a different story, but in terms of just catching clean passes deep in the post 40 times a game like he used to, thats just not happening.

i dont doubt that shaq would still be able to average 25+ppg simply based on his size and power alone, but his defensive liabilities would be massive, and he would be nearly useless in clutch scenarios. the league is tailor made to make him pay for everything he is weak at. and its far easier to gameplan against him than it used to be. i cant say it enough, how the 04 Finals exposed his limitations against zone schemes incredibly well

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If we are playing 90's rules, sure. In today's game his touches would be limited.

And on the other end, today's bigs will pull him away from the basket limiting his effectiveness on that end as well.

What would Boban average in the 90's? I think he is 25/12 back then. Today he is a 12th man.

Yep, Shaq would get fouled relentlessly and would clack free throws. But, he would destroy slammin that biach down on 95% of the players in the league. Shaq would not struggle in the least bit. These 168 lb, P/Fs, S/F, positionless players would get run smooth over by Shaq.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we are playing 90's rules, sure. In today's game his touches would be limited.

And on the other end, today's bigs will pull him away from the basket limiting his effectiveness on that end as well.

What would Boban average in the 90's? I think he is 25/12 back then. Today he is a 12th man.

Bruh, you must not have watched the NBA back in the day. Putting Boban in the same sentence as Shaq is insane. Shaq would wrap the rim around Bobans neck. Also, Shaq would get a touches in Todays Weak Ass no physical contact NBA. He would absolutely dominate down low on ALL players. Who could stop him? Name one person who could stop Shaq, well.........besides himself and his free throws.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Bruh, you must not have watched the NBA back in the day. Putting Boban in the same sentence as Shaq is insane. Shaq would wrap the rim around Bobans neck. Also, Shaq would get a touches in Todays Weak Ass no physical contact NBA. He would absolutely dominate down low on ALL players. Who could stop him? Name one person who could stop Shaq, well.........besides himself and his free throws.
    ignorance is bliss I suppose

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    if that were true, then 90s big men must have truly sucked

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    if that were true, then 90s big men must have truly sucked
    Boban is better than prime Muresan who once averaged 15/10 for a season. Neither of them sucked, the game and rules have changed.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Shaq's a better player than Boban. No doubt. But Boban would own most other bigs then with his height and strength.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Boban is better than prime Muresan who once averaged 15/10 for a season. Neither of them sucked, the game and rules have changed.
    10 points better?

and prime patrick ewing was barely able to put up 25/12

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10 points better?

Ignorance is bliss for sure...............Defense was actually played in the Real NBA. Todays matadore defenses? Patrick would avg. over 30pts per game. Not the other way around. You got knocked on your ass half the time trying an uncontested lane shot and you had to really try and score a bucket. Now players step to the side and let a go right down the lane for a floater or layup. Todays step aside defenses vs the Real NBA. Please,

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    10 points better?

Ok, maybe not 10 points better. 20/10 easy if he could stay healthy. But that's a big if with guys his size.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ignorance is bliss for sure...............Defense was actually played in the Real NBA. Todays matadore defenses? Patrick would avg. over 30pts per game. Not the other way around. You got knocked on your ass half the time trying an uncontested lane shot and you had to really try and score a bucket. Now players step to the side and let a go right down the lane for a floater or layup. Todays step aside defenses vs the Real NBA. Please,
    He wouldn't get enough touches to average even 15 today, imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, same with Joel Embid.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah, same with Joel Embid.
    Embid has distance range.

And he can hit free throws.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embid has distance range.

And he can hit free throws.
    Y’all have a short memory on how dominant Shaq was. Look at some film and tell me how the fucc he wouldn’t get touches in the soft ass NBA? Lol, Shaq would own the paint. Oh wait! Bigs are supposed to live outside in Today’s NBA. My bad.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Y’all have a short memory on how dominant Shaq was. Look at some film and tell me how the fucc he wouldn’t get touches in the soft ass NBA? Lol, Shaq would own the paint. Oh wait! Bigs are supposed to live outside in Today’s NBA. My bad.
    He was a freak. NBA had never seen anything like him, imo. Wilt would be the closest thing to him.

But when the other team is hitting 3's and you dump it into Shaq and he gets sent to the line for 1 or 0 points, it does not take long for your team to get buried. A smart coach like Pop would foul the out of him in a playoff series and Shaq would get swept.

Now I'm with you on this era being soft. It just is thanks to the soft culture and rule changes. If we are playing 90's style/rules then you have a case.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    He was a freak. NBA had never seen anything like him, imo. Wilt would be the closest thing to him.

But when the other team is hitting 3's and you dump it into Shaq and he gets sent to the line for 1 or 0 points, it does not take long for your team to get buried. A smart coach like Pop would foul the out of him in a playoff series and Shaq would get swept.

Now I'm with you on this era being soft. It just is thanks to the soft culture and rule changes. If we are playing 90's style/rules then you have a case.
    Hard fouls are flagrants in todays NBA. Shaq would have so many and 1's, he'd be feasting off of soft contact. You also can't foul away from the ball like you could in the past unless you want to see technicals and side outs. Don't you think if you could Poeltl would be living at the free throw line?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Hard fouls are flagrants in todays NBA. Shaq would have so many and 1's, he'd be feasting off of soft contact. You also can't foul away from the ball like you could in the past unless you want to see technicals and side outs. Don't you think if you could Poeltl would be living at the free throw line?
    Oh, Poeltl will be living at the line if the Spurs make the playoffs. Just wait and watch - I am looking forward to seeing it and then reading the comments here in the spur's forum afterwards..

But it's a decent point about the hard fouls. This blurred line about flagrant or standard foul also existed back then. The refs figure out what you are doing strategy wise when you foul the guy every time he touches the ball and they begin to act accordingly, though, when contact is made..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soft fouls were also flagrants in yesterday’s NBA

Revisionist history smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soft fouls on jordan were also flagrants in yesterday’s NBA

Revisionist history smh
    FIFY.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    just saying something repeatedly and aggressively doesnt make it true, fwiw

provide some actual evidence to back your claims, other than a few highlight videos

theres plenty of full game analysis all over the place that gives clear explanations and examples of how exaggerated and uneducated your claims are

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Orlando shaq would do well in today’s league. Nowhere close to as dominant as he was but would still be useful. Laker shaq would be killed on defense. Mike Bibby and Mighty Mouse got fat contracts after looking way better than they actually were because shaq wouldn’t guard the pick and roll.

He’d still be dominant offensively as those skills are transferable in any league but he’d be a huge liability on d.
    yeah after looking at the stats, Bibby and Stoudamire actually were very similar players. Bibby never even made an all star team, but in hindsight he's viewed as way better than he actually was because of extremely favorable matchups in the playoffs. He had the luxury of abusing Steve Nash in three straight postseasons and then torched Derek Fisher and Shaq in 02 when they couldn't stop the pick and roll

As a Maverick fan watching him growing up, I thought he was a combination of Allen Iverson, John Stockton, and Christ himself....when in reality I was just watching him play Steve Nash every time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just saying something repeatedly and aggressively doesnt make it true, fwiw

provide some actual evidence to back your claims, other than a few highlight videos

theres plenty of full game analysis all over the place that gives clear explanations and examples of how exaggerated and uneducated your claims are
    YouTube it. Look back at prime Shaq. Also to prove my point about Today’s ball. App State getting hammered by Norfolk St in the first half of NCAA right now. Why? Chuckin 3’s and they are 0-16. Passin up all kinds of good 2 pt shots for the 3.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    YouTube it. Look back at prime Shaq.
    in an era that only allowed 1-on-1 defense, or blatant doubles that was only permissible if a man was left completely unguarded and unshaded

again, see 2004 finals

Also to prove my point about Today’s ball. App State getting hammered by Norfolk St in the first half of NCAA right now. Why? Chuckin 3’s and they are 0-16. Passin up all kinds of good 2 pt shots for the 3.
    so your example is a game between two crappy teams that ended up going down to the wire and being a 1 point victory for norfolk st?

regardless, no one disagrees that chucking is a bad strategy. just that you and many others massively overstate how much chucking actually occurs. sometimes teams have a lot of wide open 3s, and they simply miss. just like there are nights when teams have a lot of wide open 2s, and simply miss. a one game example where a team went cold on their 3pt shooting isn't proof of anything. and lets not act like there were never games or teams in the past that were guilty of taking a lot of bad quality shots, in favor of quan y. the nuggets of the late 80s-early 90's were prime example of that, among others 108fga per game rofl no team in recent history has even come close to 100. in fact, only in the past 3-4 years teams have even cracked 90 fga/game, and only one year were there teams shooting 92 fga/game, while in the 80s pretty much annually multiple teams were shooting over 92 fga/game, and many of them shooting over 95. yet somehow its only the modern teams that "chuck" more revisionist history

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in an era that only allowed 1-on-1 defense, or blatant doubles that was only permissible if a man was left completely unguarded and unshaded

again, see 2004 finals

so your example is a game between two crappy teams that ended up going down to the wire and being a 1 point victory for norfolk st?

regardless, no one disagrees that chucking is a bad strategy. just that you and many others massively overstate how much chucking actually occurs. sometimes teams have a lot of wide open 3s, and they simply miss. just like there are nights when teams have a lot of wide open 2s, and simply miss. a one game example where a team went cold on their 3pt shooting isn't proof of anything. and lets not act like there were never games or teams in the past that were guilty of taking a lot of bad quality shots, in favor of quan y. the nuggets of the late 80s-early 90's were prime example of that, among others 108fga per game rofl no team in recent history has even come close to 100. in fact, only in the past 3-4 years teams have even cracked 90 fga/game, and only one year were there teams shooting 92 fga/game, while in the 80s pretty much annually multiple teams were shooting over 92 fga/game, and many of them shooting over 95. yet somehow its only the modern teams that "chuck" more revisionist history
    The point is App St. passed up multiple opportunities to take a much easier 2pt shot, but instead chucked a 3pt shot much like Todays NBA. Result? They lost by 1. Why not take the much easier open 2pt shot instead of shooting 16% from the 3pt line. If you know you are shooting horrible from 3's, go back to a nice 2pt attempt. Dont just chuck 28 shots from the 3pt line when your whole team is ting it up from out there.

The real NBA and real Basketball > Todays NBA = Todays Basketball

Thread Information