Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bird/mchale/parish

magic/kareem/worthy

mike/pip/rodman

just to name some well known trios
    Cir stances put them together.. Now in todays game Bird would want to play with Magic.. And Pippen was always in need of a Batman.. Rodman could NOT throw the ball into the Ocean.. Harden is an MVP player in his prime that punked out.... I’m not saying this has never happened before, but this is getting ridiculously excessive. And it’s only going to get worse the more times that it works.
    Last edited by dbreiden83080; 01-16-2021 at 10:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oscar Schmidt would have averaged 60ppg on 70% in today’s nba.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Cir stances put them together.. Now in todays game Bird would want to play with Magic.. And Pippen was always in need of a Batman.. Rodman could NOT throw the ball into the Ocean.. Harden is an MVP player in his prime that punked out.... I’m not saying this has never happened before, but this is getting ridiculously excessive. And it’s only going to get worse the more times that it works.
    all I said was have been three-star teams for many years and are usually the teams that win multiple championships. it's extremely rare for a single star team to pull that off.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Oscar Schmidt would have averaged 60ppg on 70% in today’s nba.
    lebron would have averaged 116ppg on 200% shooting in the 80s and 90s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all I said was have been three-star teams for many years and are usually the teams that win multiple championships. it's extremely rare for a single star team to pull that off.
    Are you a fan of this? I’m just curious? Because it seems to me all these guys want to do in this day and age is top each other with building super teams. The whole idea of getting over the hump seems to be lost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh the skill set is tad bit easier to display when you can't touch the offensive player.. The league changed the rules years ago to open the game up. Fans wanted offense. So they got it.. The rules allow for it.. Ewing in his prime was one of the great post shooting Centers of all time. And in an era of great physicality..
    Well nobody could touch Mike so....

Defending without touching l/grabbing is actually more difficult, you have to have good anticipation, k ow how to read the offense - especially today with all the ball movement and pick and roll, have great footwork and mobility, be in tip top shape

Anybody can just touch and grab

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well nobody could touch Mike so....

Defending without touching l/grabbing is actually more difficult, you have to have good anticipation, k ow how to read the offense - especially today with all the ball movement and pick and roll, have great footwork and mobility, be in tip top shape

Anybody can just touch and grab
    Teams are scoring 85+ points by halftime. Exactly how much defense is going on today’s game? The rules are set up that way. The ratings were tanking, the fans were complaining. So they change the rules. The game is what it is by design today. The rules were changed to open the game up. That is not conjecture on my part that is fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody complained in the 80s when teams scored tons of points

Offense was down in the 90s because the league was sp diluted because of expansion so you had a lot of untalented scrubs in the league

The league today is much deeper from top to bottom, not to mention the influx of skilled international professionals players, so it’s logical to have more scoring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody complained in the 80s when teams scored tons of points

Offense was down in the 90s because the league was sp diluted because of expansion so you had a lot of untalented scrubs in the league

The league today is much deeper from top to bottom, not to mention the influx of skilled international professionals players, so it’s logical to have more scoring
    The 1990s was not the problem. That was a golden age. The Michael Jordan era of basketball made the league more money than any point in history. Still to this day and I don’t think it’s even close. Directly after that was the problem. Too much physicality, low-scoring game, just ty for television ratings. So they opened everything up. It’s a of a lot easier for athletic ability to flourish when you can’t be physical with anybody. That’s just common sense.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The 1990s was not the problem. That was a golden age. The Michael Jordan era of basketball made the league more money than any point in history. Still to this day and I don’t think it’s even close. Directly after that was the problem. Too much physicality, low-scoring game, just ty for television ratings. So they opened everything up. It’s a of a lot easier for athletic ability to flourish when you can’t be physical with anybody. That’s just common sense.
    Yup, it was diluted some thanks to expansion, there is no denying that. But it was cant miss basketball thanks to GOAT-MJ. It boasts the highest rated NBA finals EVER in 1998. Compare that to last season's ratings where I think like 5 people tuned in

And in today's game I think Jud Buechler and Vinny Del Negro would look athletic, running around the 3 point line unchecked, averaging 20ppg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, it was diluted some thanks to expansion, there is no denying that. But it was cant miss basketball thanks to GOAT-MJ. It boasts the highest rated NBA finals EVER in 1998. Compare that to last season's ratings where I think like 5 people tuned in

And in today's game I think Jud Buechler and Vinny Del Negro would look athletic, running around the 3 point line unchecked, averaging 20ppg
    It honestly makes me laugh how people troll talking about the skill level comparison. James Harden won the last few scoring les in the league. I mean give me a ing break. Michael Jordan in this league when you can’t touch him is putting up 40 points a game without breaking a sweat. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid or trolling their ass off. he wouldn’t even need a great three-point shot. Just keep driving the ball and they will call fouls. He shot 83% from the line for his career. He will shoot 15-20 free throws a game. And in the second half of his career the turnaround jump shot was unstoppable. Nobody could do anything with that. And again nobody plays defense in the game today. So nobody’s doing anything with that now that’s for ing sure.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Are you a fan of this? I’m just curious? Because it seems to me all these guys want to do in this day and age is top each other with building super teams. The whole idea of getting over the hump seems to be lost.
    The players today are more like celebrities and it isn't just because of social media. So failure is far more difficult for them to handle. Chicken or egg; are younger generations naturally weaker/more thin skinned in the West or social media makes them this way.

The perplexing part is they are richer than ever. So you'd think that would soften the blow of losing but black community in America is so incredibly image based. And I think the US vs Them political atmosphere has made them more willing to partner up than battle head to head
    Last edited by FrostKing; 01-17-2021 at 02:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The players today are more like celebrities and it isn't just because of social media. So failure is far more difficult for them to handle. Chicken or egg; are younger generations naturally weaker/more thin skinned in the West or social media makes them this way.

The perplexing part is they are richer than ever. So you'd think that would soften the blow of losing but black community in America is so incredibly image based. And I think the US vs Them political atmosphere has made them more willing to partner up than battle head to head
    Well pretty much I think they are just a bunch of ing pussies. For a true compe or failure is supposed to motivate you. Not make you quit and want to team up with overwhelming talent to overcome the opposition. So pussies in my opinion.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    no I'm not a fan of it. but I understand it. unfortunately it's just not fair for a superstar to be blamed for either A) team ownership sucking at building good teams around them, or B) other teams getting giftwrapped ridiculous trades or draft picks that warp the compe ive balance of the league (the KG/Ray trades, Gasol trade, the Lakers in the 80s already being a compe ive playoff team and getting the #1 pick for magic and another #1 pick two championships later, a 55/62/59 win team tanking for duncan, among other things)

the heatles were formed because of two trades that completely messed up the balance of the league, leaving the Celtics and Lakers far and away the best two teams in the NBA

then after it looked like balance was somewhat restored, as there was quite a few very compe ive and promising teams in Cleveland, GS, Houston, OKC, SA, Clippers, and Toronto, suddenly KDs move to GS messed everything up all over again.

since unfortunately the only way people want to give players andy kind of validation for their greatness is by championships (which is stupid since it's a team accomplishment), I completely understand why they would be willing to team up to increase their odds at winning, especially when teams get stacked in bogus ways

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Well pretty much I think they are just a bunch of ing pussies. For a true compe or failure is supposed to motivate you. Not make you quit and want to team up with overwhelming talent to overcome the opposition. So pussies in my opinion.
    In their defense- unless you have a genius GM, you probably need to MJ your teammates and that won't fly in today's generation/media. Most these guys were babied growing up as athletic prospects. Most the greats of the earlier generations were humbled in College. Even the coaching has taken step down. Coach K of all people stopped molding Champions midway thru the 2010s and just recruits talent now. Granted that is age based as he nears the end but him of all people have the equity to do anything he pleases.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It honestly makes me laugh how people troll talking about the skill level comparison. James Harden won the last few scoring les in the league. I mean give me a ing break. Michael Jordan in this league when you can’t touch him is putting up 40 points a game without breaking a sweat. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid or trolling their ass off. he wouldn’t even need a great three-point shot. Just keep driving the ball and they will call fouls. He shot 83% from the line for his career. He will shoot 15-20 free throws a game. And in the second half of his career the turnaround jump shot was unstoppable. Nobody could do anything with that. And again nobody plays defense in the game today. So nobody’s doing anything with that now that’s for ing sure.
    I think MJ works on his 3 point shot in this era and shoots it 35-36%. He, at the very least, develops a solid corner 3. Anyone who thinks a gym rat like Jordan wouldn't have adjusted, is, like you say, simply trolling.

And they also claim that MJ was overrated defensively but the advanced stats prove that's some BS. He had Defensive win shares of 5 or more 9 times in a 15 year career. Compare that to Lebron who has only did it 4 times in more seasons.(18). Durant has done it twice and Leonard has only done it once.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    well in your opinion you think mma and ufc is cool so there's that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no I'm not a fan of it. but I understand it. unfortunately it's just not fair for a superstar to be blamed for either A) team ownership sucking at building good teams around them, or B) other teams getting giftwrapped ridiculous trades or draft picks that warp the compe ive balance of the league (the KG/Ray trades, Gasol trade, the Lakers in the 80s already being a compe ive playoff team and getting the #1 pick for magic and another #1 pick two championships later, a 55/62/59 win team tanking for duncan, among other things)

the heatles were formed because of two trades that completely messed up the balance of the league, leaving the Celtics and Lakers far and away the best two teams in the NBA

then after it looked like balance was somewhat restored, as there was quite a few very compe ive and promising teams in Cleveland, GS, Houston, OKC, SA, Clippers, and Toronto, suddenly KDs move to GS messed everything up all over again.

since unfortunately the only way people want to give players andy kind of validation for their greatness is by championships (which is stupid since it's a team accomplishment), I completely understand why they would be willing to team up to increase their odds at winning, especially when teams get stacked in bogus ways
    But I don’t really see them getting that validation. Now we have James Harden. The prime of his career took place in Houston with the entire operation built around his talents. And he had great talent. Anyone he wanted from Howard, to Westbrook, Paul, they brought in for him. He didn’t get it done. So what he’s going to get a bunch of credit for winning a championship in Brooklyn with a stacked team? Who the would give that to him? Certainly not me. You had several years in Houston to prove to me that you are one of the greatest players of all time. You failed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well in your opinion you think mma and ufc is cool so there's that
    And what exactly is that? Please provide some context?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I think MJ works on his 3 point shot in this era and shoots it 35-36%. He, at the very least, develops a solid corner 3. Anyone who thinks a gym rat like Jordan wouldn't have adjusted, is, like you say, simply trolling.

And they also claim that MJ was overrated defensively but the advanced stats prove that's some BS. He had Defensive win shares of 5 or more 9 times in a 15 year career. Compare that to Lebron who has only did it 4 times in more seasons.(18). Durant has done it twice and Leonard has only done it once.
    so it's logical that MJ would somehow develop a better shot in this era, but somehow it's impossible that these supposedly "soft" players playing in a "tougher" league wouldnt result in them being tougher?

funny how you only allow your arguments to be applied when it benefits your personal, biased opinion.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    But I don’t really see them getting that validation. Now we have James Harden. The prime of his career took place in Houston with the entire operation built around his talents. And he had great talent. Anyone he wanted from Howard, to Westbrook, Paul, they brought in for him. He didn’t get it done. So what he’s going to get a bunch of credit for winning a championship in Brooklyn with a stacked team? Who the would give that to him? Certainly not me. You had several years in Houston to prove to me that you are one of the greatest players of all time. You failed.
    I don't disagree. I'm just saying that's his perspective, and I get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so it's logical that MJ would somehow develop a better shot in this era, but somehow it's impossible that these supposedly "soft" players playing in a "tougher" league wouldnt result in them being tougher?

funny how you only allow your arguments to be applied when it benefits your personal, biased opinion.
    Jordan does not need a three point shot in today’s game. Just drive the ball and they will call fouls over and over and over again. 83% from the line for his career. And the turn around jump shot. The mid range game. Nobody could stop it. You can’t touch him now. No physical defense whatsoever. He destroys the league. You know that.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Depends on who you are talking about. Some would, some wouldn't, imo.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

MJ would likely be weaker today too. A victim of today's society. Money did this to the sport. Common story.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Jordan does not need a three point shot in today’s game. Just drive the ball and they will call fouls over and over and over again. 83% from the line for his career. And the turn around jump shot. The mid range game. Nobody could stop it. You can’t touch him now. No physical defense whatsoever. He destroys the league. You know that.
    I didn't say he needs one. I'm just addressing how biased and flawed the other poster is, especially based on previous posts hes made.

but it's also been very well addressed that defenses are more physical today than people want to admit, less physical in the past than people want to admit, and that defensive strategies are far more advanced than ever after illegal defense rules were done away with. do some research instead of just saying cliche crap.

Thread Information