Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, today NBA...........shoot a 3 is the first option, 2nd option is a drive floater if the 3 is not open. Thats it in a nuts . No other offense to really speak about. Ive seen players have a 3 on 1 break and the PG or SG pulls up a 3 with noone under to rebound. Garbage.

Real NBA>Todays ChuckBA
    90s NBA, ISO or pnr
    No other offense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A used to get benched back in tha day for some of the chukin players do now. Fast break 3pt shots.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Keep doing the lord's work OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A used to get benched back in tha day for some of the chukin players do now. Fast break 3pt shots.
    Because those s couldnT shoot and coaching was antiquated

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    lol revisionist history

guys who actually could hit them consistently were quite glorified. see reggie miller, john stockton and larry bird. lmao reggie was literally average at best at every other aspect of basketball, but was glorified as a HOF transcendent superstar simply because he was such a deadly shooter for his time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol revisionist history

guys who actually could hit them consistently were quite glorified. see reggie miller, john stockton and larry bird. lmao reggie was literally average at best at every other aspect of basketball, but was glorified as a HOF transcendent superstar simply because he was such a deadly shooter for his time
    "wow you can actually shoot unlike most of those plumbers, here your ticket to the HOF son"

Klay Thompson would have averaged 50 ppg in that era tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "wow you can actually shoot unlike most of those plumbers, here your ticket to the HOF son"

Klay Thompson would have averaged 50 ppg in that era tbh
    Maybe, but the real NBA players could hit 2pt shots from all over the court. Todays NBA playuhs can only hit 3's and layups. They cant transition to various shots all over the court because they dont practice any shots besides 3's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, but the real NBA players could hit 2pt shots from all over the court. Todays NBA playuhs can only hit 3's and layups. They cant transition to various shots all over the court because they dont practice any shots besides 3's.
    Most of today's players hit the 3s more than the 2 because it's better, they don't have to hit the 2
    However, guys like Kawhi, DDR, McCollum, LMA, Murray have a great mid range game; Jokic can hit the 2 and the 3

In the 90s , why would you ask Shaq to hit a jump shot if he could score 30 pts easily near the basket?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Maybe, but the real NBA players could hit 2pt shots from all over the court.
    lol what? there are plenty of deadly midrange shooters and scorers. the main differences are 1) people dont shoot them as frequently, even though they shoot them just as well, and 2) there is no michael jordan or larry bird who mastered the art of midrange beyond anything ever seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol what? there are plenty of deadly midrange shooters and scorers. the main differences are 1) people dont shoot them as frequently, even though they shoot them just as well, and 2) there is no michael jordan or larry bird who mastered the art of midrange beyond anything ever seen.
    Debatable.........When I look at the Todays NBA, I never see anyone shoot a midrange besides Derozen. If all you are really practicing or shooting is the 3, how could you be deadly from 2? Maybe a floater or layup/slam.

Also, noone plays D anymore either. Its all matadore defense, tha is comical to watch. In Todays NBA, whisk a on his arm and its a flagrant one with a 2 game suspension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    60s NBA is better than 90s NBA

60s NBA was more physical, and players knew to properly dribble back then - no palming, carrying, traveling

They could shoot from mid range back then , no 3 point bull

90s NBA = soft 3 pt goty era with gay ass flat top haircuts and players appearing in MTV promos

60s NBA = REAL MEN!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by lefty; 03-01-2021 at 04:36 PM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Debatable.........When I look at the Todays NBA, I never see anyone shoot a midrange besides Derozen.
    kawhi, luka, tatum, murray, jokic, ingram, pg, are just a few that come to mind that have excellent mid-range games.

If all you are really practicing or shooting is the 3, how could you be deadly from 2? Maybe a floater or layup/slam.

Also, noone plays D anymore either. Its all matadore defense, tha is comical to watch. In Todays NBA, whisk a on his arm and its a flagrant one with a 2 game suspension.
    regular season, i agree. bc no one except young stars trying to make a name for themselves cares about the regular season. experienced vets know how to play just hard enough to win games, and then turn it up a few notches in the playoffs. playoff basketball has very intense defense and far more physical play than regular season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of curiosity, were there any actual "plumbers" playing in the NBA in the 90s? I see that joke all the time, curious if there were any players who actually went to unclog toilets before suiting up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of curiosity, were there any actual "plumbers" playing in the NBA in the 90s? I see that joke all the time, curious if there were any players who actually went to unclog toilets before suiting up
    Probably, I mean look at guys like Ehlo or Brent Price

But jokes aside, Mark Eaton was an actual car mechanic

And John Starks was an actual grocery bagger

You don’t see a car mechanic or a grocery bagger in today’s NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Starks bagged groceries before he went to college, it's not like he hung his jersey up and clocked in at Safeway after the game

Jonathon Simmons was working a regular 9 to 5 before he paid for that try out and made the NBA, i don't hear anyone saying mentioning that steph curry was playing against 9-5 average joes in the playoffs tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey I like Starks tbh, he was pure heart

I feel bad for his game 7 vs Houston tbh, after his great games 4 and 5 and especially his amazing game 6 performance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh regardless of era, championship teams are always the same. its the mid and low tier teams who have mostly changed. but the very top teams generally always have balanced attacks (in terms of paint and perimeter scoring), physical defense, and good fundamentals on ball movement, spacing, rebounding, and help defense.

there have always been popular gimmicks, such as SSOL, sheer mass, sheer speed, grind to a halt, PnR spam, superstar spam, moreyball, etc... but teams that solely base their team around one of those never win championships

every era has its style. 80-to-early-90s was lots of points and no defense. mid-90s was slow it down and beat people up who were too good for you to guard. most of 00's was grinding out possessions. early-to-mid-10's was all about spacing. and now its fast-paced and quick 3s to bury your opponent quickly, or to make improbable comebacks. and i'm sure its going to change pretty soon again. each style has its fun points, and boring points. its just a matter of personal preference, not that any of them were necessarily a superior style. it was just different styles that came as a result of adjusting to the different types of talent that was coming into the league. if suddenly low post offense becomes the popular thing again, and we have 4-5 shaq-like players dominating the league and winning all the championships, then the style will have to change once again.
    Lot of truth here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Larry bird was a garbage man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larry bird was a garbage man.
    A garbage man who kicked Jordan’s salty ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A garbage man who kicked Jordan’s salty ass
    So Jordan can beat grocery baggers, car mechanics and accountants but not garbage men?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Jordan can beat grocery baggers, car mechanics and accountants but not garbage men?
    there were exceptions to the norm

He looks bad either way

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Maybe we should. Increase intelligence, work ethic and toughness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi, luka, tatum, murray, jokic, ingram, pg, are just a few that come to mind that have excellent mid-range games.

An example of what I see coming up today with regards to College/future NBA players, so don't freak out.

My son plays AAU ball. During warmups all every single team does is do layup drills and 3pt drills. You know what I see during every single damn game? Teams shooting all 3pt shots, making about 27% of them and layups. No one ever, and I mean ever shoots a mid range shot. When they do? Its usually a brick. All they do is practice shooting 3's and taking 3's in a game. The game has become one dimensional big time. Just callin out what I see.

Real Bball > Todays ChuckBA
    Last edited by lebomb; 03-02-2021 at 07:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we should. Increase intelligence, work ethic and toughness
    MJ was so tough je couldn’t beat the Pistons
    , cried to Stern who obliged and changed the rules for him, and Jordan started winning when the league became soft
    Such a tough guy

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    An example of what I see coming up today with regards to College/future NBA players, so don't freak out.

My son plays AAU ball. During warmups all every single team does is do layup drills and 3pt drills. You know what I see during every single damn game? Teams shooting all 3pt shots, making about 27% of them and layups. No one ever, and I mean ever shoots a mid range shot. When they do? Its usually a brick. All they do is practice shooting 3's and taking 3's in a game. The game has become one dimensional big time. Just callin out what I see.

Real Bball > Todays ChuckBA
    lol you say "oh I'm talking about my son's AAU" yet continue to apply it to the NBA when it actually does not apply. not to mention that probably not one of them will sniff the NBA.

the only time when it wasn't "one-dimensional" by your definition, was the late-00s to mid-10s. that was by far the most balanced time. 80s was fast breaks then iso. 90s was walk up then iso. not particularly multi-dimensional.

if you preferred seeing that style, that's one thing. but to act as if it was any less "one-dimensional" is simply not true. the dimension has just changed.

Thread Information