Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilkins is very close to how Todays NBA players are. 6'-8" long, athletic wing. He would fit in and do very well in Todays NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ISO era also made it easier for scorers
    KD, Kobe, heck even that chucker Melo would have dominated in that era
    They dominated in this era. A geriatric melo is still in the league.

I’m sure Kobe, even now, could score four points a game in today’s nba if he decided to come back.

, KD with no Achilles is still an mvp candidate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isnt it just common knowledge that 6'2 165 lb unathletic players with maybe 10-12 years of organized playing experience can completely lock up 6'8 250 lb world class athletes who have played organized ball since they were 5 by simply getting physical and roughing them up?
    You mean like Jason Terry did to Lebron? Or was it the other way around?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michael Jordan without Phil and Scottie
    Wilkins
    Dantley
    English
    You leave dantley out of this.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    You mean like Jason Terry did to Lebron? Or was it the other way around?
    jason terry primarily guarded lebron? he locked him up?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Michael Jordan without Phil and Scottie
    Wilkins
    Dantley
    English
    rofl among plenty of others

"but but but only today's nba stuffs empty stats!!!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jason terry primarily guarded lebron? he locked him up?
    Yeah. True. Terry only lit him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Someone said that in this thread?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hey I referee youth basketball these days with the great and nicest person in Adrian Dantley and the guy could have thrived any era.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yeah. True. Terry only lit him up.
    was lebron the primary defender of terry throughout the series?

Someone said that in this thread?
    did I say someone said that in this thread?

Hey I referee youth basketball these days with the great and nicest person in Adrian Dantley and the guy could have thrived any era.
    I liked dantley too. but he was a stat stuffer. and could stat stuff in any era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was lebron the primary defender of terry throughout the series?

did I say someone said that in this thread?

I liked dantley too. but he was a stat stuffer. and could stat stuff in any era.
    Continuing your crusade about not being able to read.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    were there empty calorie stat players in the 80s and 90s?
    Of course.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Continuing my crusade of making things up
    fixed.

ok good to know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fixed.

ok good to know
    I wanted to say something to you but then you can’t read so what’s the point?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I wanted to say something to you but then you can’t read so what’s the point?
    ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I step away for a couple of months and see lefty reversing course on " today's NBA?" Must be counter-trolling.

Now it seems like this discussion is talking about relative player skill levels. Are today's players more skilled and athletic in general than yesterday's? Sure. But who cares? Unless you have an attention span that can only tolerate TikTok videos, basketball is a much tier sport than it's been since the pre-shot clock era, when players would pass the ball around for like twenty minutes looking for a perfect shot.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 02-28-2021 at 03:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I step away for a couple of months and see lefty reversing course on " today's NBA?" Must be counter-trolling.

Now it seems like this discussion is talking about relative player skill levels. Are today's players more skilled and athletic in general than yesterday's? Sure. But who cares? Unless you have an attention span that can only tolerate TikTok videos, basketball is a much tier sport than it's been since the pre-shot clock era, when players would pass the ball around for like twenty minutes looking for a perfect shot.
    So you’re telling me you prefer yesterday’s NBA where they would isolate the superstar and have his 4 teammates standing there like traffic cones?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    tbh regardless of era, championship teams are always the same. its the mid and low tier teams who have mostly changed. but the very top teams generally always have balanced attacks (in terms of paint and perimeter scoring), physical defense, and good fundamentals on ball movement, spacing, rebounding, and help defense.

there have always been popular gimmicks, such as SSOL, sheer mass, sheer speed, grind to a halt, PnR spam, superstar spam, moreyball, etc... but teams that solely base their team around one of those never win championships

every era has its style. 80-to-early-90s was lots of points and no defense. mid-90s was slow it down and beat people up who were too good for you to guard. most of 00's was grinding out possessions. early-to-mid-10's was all about spacing. and now its fast-paced and quick 3s to bury your opponent quickly, or to make improbable comebacks. and i'm sure its going to change pretty soon again. each style has its fun points, and boring points. its just a matter of personal preference, not that any of them were necessarily a superior style. it was just different styles that came as a result of adjusting to the different types of talent that was coming into the league. if suddenly low post offense becomes the popular thing again, and we have 4-5 shaq-like players dominating the league and winning all the championships, then the style will have to change once again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you’re telling me you prefer yesterday’s NBA where they would isolate the superstar and have his 4 teammates standing there like traffic cones?
    They still do that, left. That's what the HORNS set is. A player like Harden or Curry brings the ball up, dribbles at the top of the key, bigman flashes to pick. If the three is there, the shooter takes it. If not, he drives in for a non-contested layup, due to all the space generated because defenders have to stick to shooters like white on rice. If the layup is contested, he kicks it out to a "traffic cone" spot up shooter. Rinse-repeat for two-and-a-half hours.

At least 90s isoball was physical and lower scoring, meaning points meant more. And the midrange game was still valued. Today's NBA has rendered 90% of the court useless.

Then you also have spastic offenses that just fastbreak and chuck.

You know I'm right. You don't have to countertroll to kick it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They still do that, left. That's what the HORNS set is. A player like Harden or Curry brings the ball up, dribbles at the top of the key, bigman flashes to pick. If the three is there, the shooter takes it. If not, he drives in for a non-contested layup, due to all the space generated because defenders have to stick to shooters like white on rice. If the layup is contested, he kicks it out to a "traffic cone" spot up shooter. Rinse-repeat for two-and-a-half hours.

At least 90s isoball was physical and lower scoring, meaning points meant more. And the midrange game was still valued. Today's NBA has rendered 90% of the court useless.

Then you also have spastic offenses that just fastbreak and chuck.

You know I'm right. You don't have to countertroll to kick it.
    Iso ball wasn’t just involving guards back in the days, it also involved dominant bigs, feed Hakeem, Chuck, Shaq etc down low and stand there so it was more common vs today

And lol at the notion it was more physical, another myth that needs to die

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Iso ball wasn’t just involving guards back in the days, it also involved dominant bigs, feed Hakeem, Chuck, Shaq etc down low and stand there so it was more common vs today

And lol at the notion it was more physical, another myth that needs to die
    It was more physical.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

today's Lefty

Welcome back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh regardless of era, championship teams are always the same. its the mid and low tier teams who have mostly changed. but the very top teams generally always have balanced attacks (in terms of paint and perimeter scoring), physical defense, and good fundamentals on ball movement, spacing, rebounding, and help defense.

there have always been popular gimmicks, such as SSOL, sheer mass, sheer speed, grind to a halt, PnR spam, superstar spam, moreyball, etc... but teams that solely base their team around one of those never win championships

every era has its style. 80-to-early-90s was lots of points and no defense. mid-90s was slow it down and beat people up who were too good for you to guard. most of 00's was grinding out possessions. early-to-mid-10's was all about spacing. and now its fast-paced and quick 3s to bury your opponent quickly, or to make improbable comebacks. and i'm sure its going to change pretty soon again. each style has its fun points, and boring points. its just a matter of personal preference, not that any of them were necessarily a superior style. it was just different styles that came as a result of adjusting to the different types of talent that was coming into the league. if suddenly low post offense becomes the popular thing again, and we have 4-5 shaq-like players dominating the league and winning all the championships, then the style will have to change once again.
    This is exactly what I believe will happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, today NBA...........shoot a 3 is the first option, 2nd option is a drive floater if the 3 is not open. Thats it in a nuts . No other offense to really speak about. Ive seen players have a 3 on 1 break and the PG or SG pulls up a 3 with noone under to rebound. Garbage.

Real NBA>Todays ChuckBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was more physical.
    yes according to highlight compllation videos, but the game was actually soft

Thread Information