Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ made great reads in the 4th. Him running the offense won us the game at the end. He’s getting there playmaking wise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

KJ been taking acting lessons? He's a natural at this... Feels legit like a State Farm commercial.
    Spurs really went 4-1 on a roadtrip, with two of those wins against both LA teams, immediately after a season of consistently ting the bed anywhere outside the AT&T center huh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh boy
    That's some of that Indiana stupidity coming through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Walker could be a 20ppg scorer, but he's not the play-maker DeRozan is at this point, and neither is Murray. I think a White, Walker, Johnson perimeter could work, but that has obvious uncertainties. I do wonder if Lonnie would be good in the Zipper series like Parker was in his prime. He has similar speed and midrange shooting, and that's a great set to build looks for the other young guys.
    If people don't remember, this is what the Zipper series looks like:

I haven't looked to much into it, but tonight, I think the Spurs were running a lot of Weave actions. This is what that looks like:

If Pop is going for that egalitarian "hydra" offense that folks like Dejounte talk about, I get why this set would be a stable. It basically gives driving opportunities by creating uncertainty in who's going to drive. My issue with it is that it doesn't threaten the basket. No matter who the play is for, they still have to get to the rim, and because so many folks were part of the primary action, there's not a lot of off-ball complexity to give guys open looks.

For completeness sake, here is the Motion Weak offense the team ran during the M3 era:

You can see all of the options playing out, from low-post to PnR to up-cut to corner, to high post and on. Basically, everyone on the team had their own option, and the offense would go like, "Hey is Diaw open? Then what about Danny? Then what about Tony? Then what about Tim?" and so on. They didn't even have to call plays. The offense just gave guys the looks they'd want all the time, and everybody knew whose option it was at any time and where they have to be to take advantage of it. Certainly, elite BBIQ played a role, but the key was repe ion. The Spurs ran that kind of set so many times for years that they guys knew what to do without thinking about it. That let them make snap decisions to whip those flashy passes to open shooters. I feel like this Spurs team could do something like that, using an offense that works for people's strengths rather than relying on one-on-one ball. Hopefully they figure something out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh boy
    Hill is making me sick with that. Like if the league tells you not to do something, then you're the one who can step out if you don't like it. They don't have to let you do whatever you want FFS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If people don't remember, this is what the Zipper series looks like:
    Great content, Chino, thanks as always. Silly question maybe: what does "Zipper" mean in English? As in, what part of that offense makes it be called "zipper"? Never heard that term before, and google's just showing me pants

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t expect Lonnie to have picked up the offense when Demar is out. Maybe he’ll have more touches in the 2nd lineup when White comes back. He really could average in the 20’s given more touches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great content, Chino, thanks as always. Silly question maybe: what does "Zipper" mean in English? As in, what part of that offense makes it be called "zipper"? Never heard that term before, and google's just showing me pants
    Wait, I got it, players moving up and down the paint like a pant's "zipper", huh? I always knew that as "fly" or "flyer", TIL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you know how Danny Green starts a lot of those clips near the basket and runs up to the top of the arc to get the pass? That action is called a "zipper cut" because he's "zipping up" the half-court diagram. The Spurs usually ran the triple-screen variant the videos starts with for Parker, and they called that play "The Loop". Fans might remember that term more.

EDIT: I see you've basically worked it out. Yeah, it's that first cut that gets the name, but there are other up-cuts are part of the action.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    26 assists and only 4 turnovers for the team. Holy .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh boy

No one's forcing you to play bruh. You can leave that $8mil on the table and go do you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    26 assists and only 4 turnovers for the team. Holy .
    They've been on a crazy-efficient streak passing the ball. A lot of that is just good and comes from being smart and unselfish. A lot of it though, comes from them not driving to the rim enough. They are settling for outside shots too much, and those don't usually result in turnovers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In other news, WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you know how Danny Green starts a lot of those clips near the basket and runs up to the top of the arc to get the pass? That action is called a "zipper cut" because he's "zipping up" the half-court diagram. The Spurs usually ran the triple-screen variant the videos starts with for Parker, and they called that play "The Loop". Fans might remember that term more.

EDIT: I see you've basically worked it out. Yeah, it's that first cut that gets the name, but there are other up-cuts are part of the action.
    Yeah lmao, second language brain fart, forgot zipper is an actual word... I was going along the lines of "is it because the player's "zipping" by running fast on the court? Nah, that's too stupid..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In other news, WTF?
    Aren't we playing the Rockettes next?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In other news, WTF?
    He should probably stick to black jerseys the rest of the season.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing yeah. I want the mother ing Coyote yelling at Lonnie to take those shots, if that's what it takes

Glad the team recognizes and seemingly addresses Lonnie's passivity. It's a hole in his game and one of the only steps separating him from eventual s om.
    Hole in his game? Quote from last game kind of summed up how i feel Lonnie needs to change his thinking.

Lonnie Walker IV said his approach tonight was more aggressive. Said their previous game he was more "nonchalant" and this game focused on being aggressive and not worried as much about "being the nice guy."

If he keeps up this nice guy approach , then lower the expectations

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In other news, WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Went over to the Rockets board to see the meltdown. Wow, how things change quick.

Christian Wood went from being their next great star to comments such as, "Christian can't guard his own shadow."

L M F A O

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh and his post game interview

Tim MacMahon @espn_macmahon

James Harden says Rockets are "just not good enough ... I love this city. I literally have done everything that I can. I mean, this situation is crazy. It’s something that I don’t think can be fixed."
    10:10pm · 12 Jan 2021 · TweetDeck

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
    4m
    James Harden's aware that the Rockets are continuing to discuss trade scenarios with teams, although no deal is imminent, sources tell ESPN. Houston's asking price remains steep, as you'd expect it would for a player of Harden's caliber.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    running the loop for Lonnie would make a lot of sense since he's super fast and got a sweet jumper. Running motion weak would work with this roster as well, they just need more time to gel so everybody knows which spots to be in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

James Harden says Rockets are "just not good enough ... I love this city. I literally have done everything that I can. I mean, this situation is crazy. It’s something that I don’t think can be fixed."

4m
    James Harden's aware that the Rockets are continuing to discuss trade scenarios with teams, although no deal is imminent, sources tell ESPN. Houston's asking price remains steep, as you'd expect it would for a player of Harden's caliber.
    WOW. Those comments are cancerous. Jeez.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hole in his game? Quote from last game kind of summed up how i feel Lonnie needs to change his thinking.

Lonnie Walker IV said his approach tonight was more aggressive. Said their previous game he was more "nonchalant" and this game focused on being aggressive and not worried as much about "being the nice guy."

If he keep up this nice guy approach , then lower the expectations
    Maybe hole in his game isn't the right expression? Flaw would be more appropriate, I guess. The issue remains the same, semantics aside, and I'm glad not only he, but also the coaches/teammates are taking notice and trying to work towards changing it. I don't think it's so much a "nice guy" approach, more so a shyness thing, or a contact aversion thing. Either way, the team's ceiling is clearly higher when he's playing aggressively. Rock on, Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

4m
    Right after most delusional Rockettes fans were getting their hopes up with the good start and solid teammates for Harden ... The amount of "Harden will see he's got great teammates and stay!!" kind of comments I've read in the past two weeks was disgusting, nice to see Harden himself making it clear that his stance hasn't changed tbh. Thanks as always for the content, Ace, good

Thread Information