Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every draft class 20 on average make it in the NBA, half of those are potential primaries. We have 4 maybe 5 potential primaries in the past 5 drafts.

The core young 4 are flawed prospects that made leaps to their game to be 1 of 10 potential primaries in their class, they are well behind and they caught up.

They are addressing their ceilings this season, DJ and Lonnie with their improved feel for the game, White with the improved pull up and KJ with top tier strength.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll have a go at a pessimistic take since this seems the thread for it.

Spurs are bottom 10 in FG%, bottom 10 in 3PA and bottom 5 in FTA. They barely pass the ball in offensive possessions or have any kind of structure both offensively and defensively. On top of that none of the young players has an even average PER ( I think Murray might have juuust cracked it after last night ) and their advanced stats generally look quite bad.

Not sure if this is good or bad tbh. Is it a team that's getting results while not being 100% and having injured players, or a terrible team that's had some luck?
    Bottom 10 in FG% = We've been blowing lay-ups like crazy + missing wide open looks from 3, which may be attributed to our guys not being natural shooters
    Bottom 10 in 3PA = This shouldn't count against the Spurs. Just because you have a certain style of play doesn't mean you should get penalized for it.
    Bottom 5 in FTA = Refs not willing to blow their whistle in favor of the Spurs

Curious why these three stats were the ones you chose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom 10 in FG% = We've been blowing lay-ups like crazy + missing wide open looks from 3, which may be attributed to our guys not being natural shooters
    Bottom 10 in 3PA = This shouldn't count against the Spurs. Just because you have a certain style of play doesn't mean you should get penalized for it.

Largely agree with your observations, especially about refs whistles. Hopefully this changes, because Spurs are driving to the rim more than ever, create more shots than any other team from drives, yet rarely go to the line.

Chose these 3 particular stats because generally teams that are inefficient offensively and not even middle of the pack defensively aren't on the right track.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LA shooting 43% from the field has something to do with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well
    they’re young

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So is OP saying we should use our time machine and redo our picks, or trade them all and start over?
    start with who the OP is and then that's all you need to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad thread le. I'd say if you drafted today you'd take all of those players mentioned (except Poetl), at, or above where they were chosen. We still haven't had a top 10 pick in the draft since Duncan, yet we've reloaded reasonably well. Are any of those guys superstar talents? I'd say that's inconclusive. No one thought Kawhi was a superstar his first two years in the league. But I think the indications are there that White, Walker, Murray, Johnson and Vassell could all eventually be stars. From my perspective we've gone 5 for 5 on talent vs. order in the draft. Luka is the outlier, but he may develop as well. As for Vassell, he didn't have summer league or G-league to hone his game at all, yet he's holding his own. Guy's going to be good.

I'd have to give our FO and scouts an A+ for how they've managed the last few drafts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's two ways to look at the young guys here:

1. Are they meeting/beating expectations for a bunch of low 1st rounders? Absolutely. Don't like the fact that Murray is overpaid, but it is what it is, but hopefully we can flip him into an asset.

2. Are they going to bring us back to prosperity? No, not by themselves and adding more mid-late 1st round NBA picks wont help, nor does tanking in drafts that are 1-3 player drafts, at best.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's ample positive comments and substance, you miserable idiots just didn't like the source. The criticism is always especially laughable when it comes from clueless and/or vanilla types, which unfortunately comprises the majority of the board.

My guy, I agreed -- broadly speaking -- with what you wrote. The Spurs don't have any surefire studs amongst their youngsters. Notable strides have been made, as you admit, but too early to anoint anyone.

I did find it funny that you tried to dress it up as if any of it is a hot take. Of course if young players don't continue to develop the team won't improve. That's true for any team in any sport

Eh. First off, I don't think that's true. Show me these "most teams" you speak of. Secondly, the players you're referencing (Murray and White) were late first round draft picks. The fact that they didn't emerge as stars by the end of their rookie contract is a weird complaint and isn't comparable to teams that have been stuck in the lottery for years. Murray and White were a product of The Gutless Worms Era The Golden Era, which meant they were drafted late, didn't have an opportunity to play right away and, for better or worse, would take time to develop. As we've seen with someone like Keldon Johnson who was drafted into a post-championship window team, the evaluation process will speed up naturally.
    But not without being unnecessarily combative/hostile.

I didnt, that's just your interpretation of virtually everything I type. You're predisposed to it, so it's all just confirmation bias for you and your followers at this point. Now you're being intentionally obtuse.

As in, most re-building teams. Let's get something straight for the reading comprehension impaired: I wasn't criticizing the picks or rate of development in general. Considering where they were picked, they were already a collective success before the season. I'm just saying, the metrics say they haven't been as good as the perception.
    Last edited by TD 21; 01-13-2021 at 05:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This post is basically "Imma make up what I think y'all think about these players and then powerfully disagree."

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the most important part, tbh. I don't think any of the youngsters is past the point where it's safe to even call them a surefire above average starter going forward but there are enough encouraging signs that it allows that hope to remain. Keldon, for example, has shown that his bubble performance wasn't a total fluke caused by the small sample size ... and that alone is a good development.

The only player on your list trending the wrong way is Poeltl ... but the NBA as a whole is trending away from his playertype so that shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone who has paid attention. Plus, as has been noted, he started slowly the last two seasons.

I don't have much of any issue with your writeup other than the le. Outside of a few hopeful Spurs fans, I don't think the general perception of the youngsters is wrong. It's not like any of the players receive any type of star-in-the-making type of hype.

the only star hype I’ve gotten is Lonnie when someone with the team said they thought they had “Jimmy Butler 2.0”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My take so far is nearly every team has so much young talent these days ... Spurs do not seem to have something special yet ... despite this I love watching the young guys play and improve while getting some impressive wins as well

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only star hype I’ve gotten is Lonnie when someone with the team said they thought they had “Jimmy Butler 2.0”
    Someone that works for the team said this? If so, was it recent, or when he was drafted?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs fans: dont tank or trade for a top pick in a draft, its not worth it

the same spurs fans: what do u expect from a mid to late draft picks??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you could redo the NBA draft of each one of those picks with what we know now, do the Spurs still get any of those players? Nope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs fans: dont tank or trade for a top pick in a draft, its not worth it

the same spurs fans: what do u expect from a mid to late draft picks??
    Literally which Spurs fans didn't want to trade for a top pick in the draft? We just went over a possible situation of this with GSW's #2 pick, and the overwhelming consensus here was that the Spurs should go for it, with the major distinction being which prospect was worth that pick, where posters naturally had different opinions. I don't think I read a single comment saying "it's not worth it", and would appreciate a link to it.

Y'all make up the weirdest narratives to find things to complain about, tbh.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So is OP saying we should use our time machine and redo our picks, or trade them all and start over?
    Calm your man s he’s just saying they aren’t as good as they’re hyped up to be

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calm your man s he’s just saying they aren’t as good as they’re hyped up to be
    Chut up bish!

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about no u little lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need to over complicate things. Spurs don't have anyone to replace White's floor leadership.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The growth of the youth has been great, its just the vets and Pop that are keeping this team down in mediocrity

Thread Information