Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really surprising that a team with so many young guys that try to play fast is on pace for a record breaking pace in terms of least amount of turnovers, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC is a .500 team when they were left for dead. They play tough and have a good coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally premature lmao but if that’s the Lonnie we get whenever Demar is gone then we need to trade Demar pronto imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally premature lmao but if that’s the Lonnie we get whenever Demar is gone then we need to trade Demar pronto imo.
    I mean, yeah, I hear you about it being premature, but Walker being able to carry a bulk scoring load would be a pretty huge development for the Spurs going forward.

Only two games but Walker has surprised in a good way. He's not even really hitting on all cylinders yet puts up 20+ like it's NBD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny thing is, it's increasingly looking like there's no reason this isn't the Lonnie we could be getting every night if DD wasn't here, tbh. At first I was thinking, even though I'm high on him already, that it was just a hot scoring night, a fluke of sorts due to his good shooting. But both his 20pt games, not to mention season-high 25, coming in the two immediate games after DD sits out? Nah. We'll see if he keeps it up, but it passes the eye test for sure.

And the best part, is that the huge part of DD being out for Lonnie is simply an increase in the amount of touches that he gets, and an increase in his role. There's hardly been a change in his game, beyond the fact that he's looking to finish on his drives more instead of passing out, and maybe taking a bit more shots. No game has looked like it was just him being red hot from deep (in fact, I'd say we're far from seeing Lonnie's true peak as a shooter - his stroke is magnificent) and couldn't be replicated. It's just a matter of Pop looking him in the eye, and telling him "you're the man. Take those shots".

I'll also say, he definitely wasn't ready last season, and even this season might be too early for him to shoulder DeMar's load on a night-to-night basis. Can't forget DD has been leading offenses for a decade plus. I'd rather we trade another one of our vets, Mills probably, and keep DeMar until the season ends. Lonnie can grow and get better under a low spotlight, hone his skills as secondary playmaker, then take over the reigns as the true SG that he is starting from next season. People forget he's a whole 3 years younger than Manu was as a rookie...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not even really hitting on all cylinders yet puts up 20+ like it's NBD.
    This is the big thing for me, tbh. Guy is putting up 20 in his sleep. Not even a first option (at least not whenever Chucky Mills is on the court ), but his timely 3's and eagerness to now finish on his drives is already enough for high scoring games. I truly wonder what his limits are if given an even bigger role - he still looks a little too hesitant and deferring, even with DD out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great grades and great win tonight. Going 4-1 for this trip should be a real lift for their confidence. Gracias! The lack of turnovers to assists ratio is damn impressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. They played with more energy tonight and did not let go. I’m excited with everyone’s development. But especially Lonnie for the last two games. Lonnie really took the opportunity given him and showed what he can do. He is far from a finish product. But when he finally realized his potential, this guy will be special. Lonnie is just freakishly quick to the basket. I think Pop should give him more touches and free reign with the 2nd unit.

Poeltl is finally getting his mojo back. He seems more relaxed out there and it shows.

Keldon continues to attack the basket and getting the calls finally. 8 free throws. I just love this kid.

I have no complaints with everybody. The shots were not going in earlier but they hung in there. They were patient and just continued their game plan. And that’s the Spurs that I know. Keep on pounding the rock!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid Dub against a .500 team on the road and missing two key players. It was also good to see the team execute down the stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar doesn't just score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this makes no sense. Having both DeMar and Lonnie still makes the team better instead of having just one of them. Ideally you want to stagger them, so one of them is always on the floor. That way you keep the scoring punch for the entire 48 minutes. A DeRozan/Walker wing duo can give a lot of defenses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this makes no sense. Having both DeMar and Lonnie still makes the team better instead of having just one of them. Ideally you want to stagger them, so one of them is always on the floor. That way you keep the scoring punch for the entire 48 minutes. A DeRozan/Walker wing duo can give a lot of defenses
    I get that, I kinda agree with you but I think with Demar being gone, the youngins especially Lonnie would feel more responsible to step up and carry some of the offensive load. With Demar here, imo It’s inevitable that the young guys won’t feel the need to take the next step, they’ll just try to fit in with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar doesn't just score.
    Very true. He also gets madly frustrated, tears off his jersey, goes brainless under pressure, and gets stupid technical fouls. But I'm sure that with more experience Lonnie can learn to do all that. /blue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very true. He also gets madly frustrated, tears off his jersey, goes brainless under pressure, and gets stupid technical fouls. But I'm sure that with more experience Lonnie can learn to do all that. /blue
    Lol...very accurate...having a ball dominant guy with a one dimensional game like DeMar holds back the growth of our youth because:

1. He always feels like he needs the ball in key moments (even tho he isn't good in them)...so the young guys don't learn how to close

2. Because he (and lma) are divas, you see our young guys second-guessing their decisions on offense because they're either traumatized from pop benching them for taking a "bad" shot, or they're worried that DDR or LMA will pout about their touches

3. DDR isn't taking this team anywhere...he is in the downside of his career and we know he won't improve...so the smart thing to do is trade him for assets that we can use to build an iden y when it comes to our team... because as of now there's no philosophy...just an assortment of talents that have no direction, and two "stars" who both not only have antiquated games, but don't compliment each other

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan at his best is easily the teams beat playmaker, controls the pace well on offense and can carry the offense in slow periods by creating gosnown opportunities (ie get to the line at will. sweet post moves.) and then there are games where he is unslobbable

On Offense

his defense, well, if he can stay attentive and keep his feet moving then thats the best we can hope for tbh

on offense id like to see demar be baby bron the facilitator with the younguns. resist being ball dominant

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades! I especially rely on grades for games in Memphis and OKC as they’re black outs for me. Im loving what Lonnie is doing. I had big expectations for him when he was drafted. I think the best part about this team and the biggest difference from last year is that they’re learning from their mistakes. Last season, they’d run back a loss almost as if it didn’t matter. They bounced back against a team similarly skilled as the Wolves and answered in the final minutes. If they continue to show up against the contenders and learn from the let down games, these guys might exceed even the most homeristic predictions from before the season started

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lonnie should come off the bench with vassel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid grades.

lonnie actually being aggressive and finishing at the rim is a beautiful sight. Thursday and Friday game against Houston is going to be interesting. Yes they haven’t been playing the greatest but they have talent. I’m excited to see how we do against them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its so frustrating watching Lonnie play. He just needs to stay aggressive and attack. He can have games like this consistently if he had Keldon's energy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last two games were definitely a "wakeup" moment for Lonnie. Like Derrick, it ALL depends whether he can stay injury free while playing aggressive. Hopefully the Spurs staff have the training methods to help them do this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, yeah, I hear you about it being premature, but Walker being able to carry a bulk scoring load would be a pretty huge development for the Spurs going forward.

Only two games but Walker has surprised in a good way. He's not even really hitting on all cylinders yet puts up 20+ like it's NBD.
    This tbh. His ceiling as a scorer really can't be overstated enough. He's a 3 level scorer that makes it look absolutely effortless. His finishes are still a bit on the finesse side and he hasn't utilized the pull up midrange enough (which has looked really good). Once he cleans that up, I'm not sure if you can cap his ceiling as a scorer anytime soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This tbh. His ceiling as a scorer really can't be overstated enough. He's a 3 level scorer that makes it look absolutely effortless. His finishes are still a bit on the finesse side and he hasn't utilized the pull up midrange enough (which has looked really good). Once he cleans that up, I'm not sure if you can cap his ceiling as a scorer anytime soon.
    Oladipo like

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It might be risky but 'if' someone would trade us an upper end 4 for DDR we'd have to do it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might be risky but 'if' someone would trade us an upper end 4 for DDR we'd have to do it
    DDR’s value is capped at a late first round pick by a contender at the trade deadline in the absence of a sign and trade or commitment to resign with bis new team. Maybe even less given the current covid related cir stances.

Thread Information