Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA and Rudy are washed, can't trade them for anything.

I still think Demar is a good player, but just an awful fit with the young guys. How could it possibly play out?
    Spurs are still 2 years away from being a serious playoff team. Demar won't make the difference and elevate the team to like 4-6th seed. Young players need to learn how to close games out.
    He's just slowing their growth.

And 2 or 3 years down the road, Demar shouldn't be anything more than a 6th man for a serious playoff team.
    Just get some value for him, plenty of teams would be interested. Even a S&T is possible.

Spurs don't have a single useful defensive player over 6'6 right now. Can't hope to make the playoffs like that. Even if you do, it's a first round sweep by an LA team. Worst case scenario, no matter how you put it.
    I'd rather watch Keldon/Lonnie/Vassell take 20 shots every game than have a false hope of making the playoffs for a couple more months.

Patty should also go, but we all know that won't happen. I'm sure there are some desperate contenders that would give up a pick for him.
    Poeltl is an embarrassment, should be traded before everyone catches up on how awful he is.

So frustrating to be a fan of the only lottery team that constantly favors washed up veterans over young talent.
    Not to mention that who knows if the season will even end, every team that's a first round exit or worse should get rid of valuable veterans.

A bit of a rant, but I had to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA and Rudy are washed, can't trade them for anything.

I still think Demar is a good player, but just an awful fit with the young guys. How could it possibly play out?
    Spurs are still 2 years away from being a serious playoff team. Demar won't make the difference and elevate the team to like 4-6th seed. Young players need to learn how to close games out.
    He's just slowing their growth.

And 2 or 3 years down the road, Demar shouldn't be anything more than a 6th man for a serious playoff team.
    Just get some value for him, plenty of teams would be interested. Even a S&T is possible.

Spurs don't have a single useful defensive player over 6'6 right now. Can't hope to make the playoffs like that. Even if you do, it's a first round sweep by an LA team. Worst case scenario, no matter how you put it.
    I'd rather watch Keldon/Lonnie/Vassell take 20 shots every game than have a false hope of making the playoffs for a couple more months.

Patty should also go, but we all know that won't happen. I'm sure there are some desperate contenders that would give up a pick for him.
    Poeltl is an embarrassment, should be traded before everyone catches up on how awful he is.

So frustrating to be a fan of the only lottery team that constantly favors washed up veterans over young talent.
    Not to mention that who knows if the season will even end, every team that's a first round exit or worse should get rid of valuable veterans.

A bit of a rant, but I had to do it.
    Lots of truth bombs in there, great post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there something wrong with the AT&T Center rims? We consistently shoot like crap at home even when we get wide open looks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is soft. goes to patty/derozan/aldridge like a pacifier when a game is close, no matter how well anybody else is playing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty mills for a 1st rounder

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What sucks is whenever DWhite is back he’ll be taking minutes from Lonnie and Devin probably
    I’m wondering what happens to the closing lineup when DWhite gets back. Wouldn’t put it past Pop to continue to run Patty out there.

This man started Bryn Forbes last season. I got low expectations.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our defense is mind boggingly terrible and we have one of the softest frontcourt in the league

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets exploited how the Spurs have no rim protection. Lamarcus or Poetl can't defend the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is soft. goes to patty/derozan/aldridge like a pacifier when a game is close, no matter how well anybody else is playing
    Aldridge broke pop when he made him shift the offense to passing to lma on every possession simply because he asked for a trade...then gave him an extension before that season even started...pop in his prime would have shipped him out for a bag of chips simply for having the audacity to demand a trade after playing like in the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true. I think Pop lost the game trying to play that closing lineup too much. Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge and this year's Mills are way too many ball-dominant guys on the court to make consistently good offense. , Johnson in this game was also just running at the basket whenever he had a chance. That Pop called a timeout only to draw up a stupid DeRozan iso was terrible. It just shows how thin the team is at the margins.
    Really fascinating how you continually keep a blind eye to the defense and always attribute all losses to our offense. Mind-boggling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when Pop used to draw plays for players instead of acting like he's drawing on the clipboard and telling Demar go 1-1?
    He drawed up the play to get Demar the ball. I think he was hoping for a switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs gave up three 3s in a row that gave Houston all the momentum. It really feels like teams will get a good 3 point shot on us down the stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true. I think Pop lost the game trying to play that closing lineup too much. Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge and this year's Mills are way too many ball-dominant guys on the court to make consistently good offense. , Johnson in this game was also just running at the basket whenever he had a chance. That Pop called a timeout only to draw up a stupid DeRozan iso was terrible. It just shows how thin the team is at the margins.
    USG% tonight:

1. Lonnie Walker - 29.6%
    2. Keldon Johnson - 27.2%
    3. DeMar DeRozan - 20.9%
    4. LaMarcus Aldridge - 19.8%
    5. Patty Mills - 17.5%
    6. Dejounte Murray - 17.4%
    7. Rudy Gay - 17.1%
    8/9. Devin and Poetl - 12.6%

https://www.nba.com/game/hou-vs-sas-...core#box-score

NBA Average is 20%

LaMarcus ranks #53 in usage among all NBA players with an average of 23.7%
    DeMar ranks #59 in usage among all NBA players with an average of 23.3%
    Dejounte ranks #67 in usage among all NBA players with an average of 22.8%
    Patty ranks #88 in usage among all NBA players with an average of 20.5%

https://www.basketball-reference.com...stats::usg_pct

The Spurs are the only team next to the Raptors without a player averaging 25+% USG from any of its rotational players.

The ball is being shared evenly among players, better than 90% of the entire NBA. This stat could even go lower if DeMar didn't take it upon himself to be the closer in games.

For additional comparison, if we look at any of the currently decent teams without a "true star" like us, for example the Pacers-- they have three guys above 24%: Sabonis, Brogdon, and Oladipo at 27%. For a team without an established star, the Spurs are sharing the ball as well as any team could have. For a team with "ex-stars" in Aldridge, DeMar... that's impressive.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-15-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does you starting center on grab 2 rebounds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does you starting center on grab 2 rebounds?
    Because LMA is slow to rotate and nobody boxes out (Houston had 13 box outs compared to Spurs' 5).

https://www.nba.com/game/hou-vs-sas-...core#box-score

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, just watched the game. I can't believe we lost. Spurs defense is trash giving up too many threes.

Also, why is Mills always out there? He's a sieve on the defensive side of the ball. Chuck, chuck, chuck and poor defense is what he usually gives. If he's not on that night, I don't think he should be playing in the 4th quarter closing the games.

What is the strategy with Mills? If he's allowed to keep chucking and puts up 6th man of the year numbers on offense while playing poor defense, are the Spurs actually planning on paying him? That money needs to be saved for the youth and/or better free agents. I sure as hope the Spurs aren't planning on paying him if his offensive numbers look good at the end of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, just watched the game. I can't believe we lost. Spurs defense is trash giving up too many threes.

Also, why is Mills always out there? He's a sieve on the defensive side of the ball. Chuck, chuck, chuck and poor defense is what he usually gives. If he's not on that night, I don't think he should be playing in the 4th quarter closing the games.
    Part of me thinks it's to raise his trade value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of me thinks it's to raise his trade value.
    Thanks for the reply. I just did an edit asking what you guys think is the Spurs strategy with Mills. You don't think the Spurs would be stupid enough to pay him big money if he ends up putting up 6th man of the year numbers on offense, do you? If they're looking to trade him, then I don't mind him chucking, but if not, they better not be looking to pay him in the off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the reply. I just did an edit asking what you guys think is the Spurs strategy with Mills. You don't think the Spurs would be stupid enough to pay him big money if he ends up putting up 6th man of the year numbers on offense, do you? If they're looking to trade him, then I don't mind him chucking, but if not, they better not be looking to pay him in the off-season.
    The Spurs seem high on Tre Jones and that indicates to me that he's the successor to Mills. I don't see a scenario where both are on the team long-term. Doesn't make sense to have two midgets on the team. The Spurs usually have just one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs seem high on Tre Jones and that indicates to me that he's the successor to Mills. I don't see a scenario where both are on the team long-term. Doesn't make sense to have two midgets on the team. The Spurs usually have just one.
    So you definitely think they are showcasing him? The other thing that makes me worried is that the TNT commentators were saying that Pop was talking very highly of Patty's play this season. That doesn't sound like Pop is looking/wants to trade him. I'd love it if he was gone and would rather play the more defensive minded player such as Tre Jones right now. Vassell also needs more playing time IMO. Spurs defense is pretty porous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you definitely think they are showcasing him? The other thing that makes me worried is that the TNT commentators were saying that Pop was talking very highly of Patty's play this season. That doesn't sound like Pop is looking/wants to trade him. I'd love it if he was gone and would rather play the more defensive minded player such as Tre Jones right now. Vassell also needs more playing time IMO. Spurs defense is pretty porous.
    How else would you get other teams' attention?

It's car salesman 101.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game should have finished with LA, Demar, Murray, Keldon, and Walker. Drive to the bucket and get a foul minimum.

Spurs will get better once White returns. He is that solid controller of the team IMHO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How else would you get other teams' attention?

It's car salesman 101.
    Yeah, true. I hope you are right.

Game should have finished with LA, Demar, Murray, Keldon, and Walker. Drive to the bucket and get a foul minimum.

Spurs will get better once White returns. He is that solid controller of the team IMHO.
    I would have much preferred that closing line-up to playing Mills. Pop loves playing Mills all the time.

I'm not thinking about White at all. He's not playing right now, so we have to look at the guys who are here now and what they can do to help/contribute to getting wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there something wrong with the AT&T Center rims? We consistently shoot like crap at home even when we get wide open looks
    sure that's why all the other teams low % shooters hit 3s against us all the time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure that's why all the other teams low % shooters hit 3s against us all the time

It's really weird though. To your point, other teams shoot lights out in our gym but our guys can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Thread Information