Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only a few relevant teams who could trade a 1st - Phi, Bos, Den, maybe Jazz. You're right that it's unlikely because it'd be difficult to get the contracts to work, but theoretically Philly could do something with Danny's contract, they have a few other smaller expirings. Bos have that TE. Difficult with Denver, maybe something around Harris's contract but it's 2 years. Jazz - nothing workable. Slim pickings.
    1st round picks are rare, expiring vets are abundant ans young talented guys like Collins, Aaron Gordon, Bagley, Lavine etc etc are potentially on the trading block. Our access to a 1st is not slim pickings, that assumes we are calling the shots. We have no leverage. It's not slim pickings for us we are just leftovers at a buffet for those teams you mentioned above.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could be worth trying to get a 2022 first instead, especially if the extra wait can be used to bargain for fewer or no protections on the pick. More teams should have 2022 picks available to trade than 2021 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could be worth trying to get a 2022 first instead, especially if the extra wait can be used to bargain for fewer or no protections on the pick. More teams should have 2022 picks available to trade than 2021 picks.
    15 teams can’t trade ANY first not just 2021

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's just crazy...but it also means the other 15 teams have multiple 1st's they can trade though right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s wild if true.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can't be right. I thought the rule was that a team can't make a trade that leaves it with two consecutive future years without a first round pick. If a team has a 2021 and 2023 first, regardless of if it is their own or not, they can trade a 2022 first. There should be plenty of teams able to trade, for example, a 2024 first.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dr...rafts/detailed

This site details future trades. The teams that wouldn't be able to deal their 2022 first are Brooklyn, Dallas, Denver (though they can trade their 2021 first), Detroit, LA Lakers, Minnesota, Phoenix (cause they don't have one to trade, it's going to OC), Portland, Utah, Washington. 10 out of 30, and that's only for 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could be mistaken, does anyone have access to ESPN insider? https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...pick-right-now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk if it’s exactly 15 teams it might be, but I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about if Bradley Beal was to demand a trade not many contending teams could make an offer for him because most of the playoff teams have traded away all their future picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk if it’s exactly 15 teams it might be, but I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about if Bradley Beal was to demand a trade not many contending teams could make an offer for him because most of the playoff teams have traded away all their future picks
    Trading away a ton of future picks for a 2nd/3rd star is very much needed in order to be able to contend now. When everyone else is doing it but you're not ( Phi, Bos, Den ), then you're at a significant disadvantage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading away a ton of future picks for a 2nd/3rd star is very much needed in order to be able to contend now. When everyone else is doing it but you're not ( Phi, Bos, Den ), then you're at a significant disadvantage.
    I'm still hoping some teams are looking at DeRozan and/or LMA as "bargain stars" in that same vein. If a team like Denver is willing to offer some legit value for DMDR, I hope PATFO recognizes the opportunity and goes for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still hoping some teams are looking at DeRozan and/or LMA as "bargain stars" in that same vein. If a team like Denver is willing to offer some legit value for DMDR, I hope PATFO recognizes the opportunity and goes for it.
    If Denver can keep Porter Jr healthy then something like Harris + filler + 2021 1st for DDR could be useful for them, however I doubt the Spurs do it if they're still with a chance to make the playoffs come the trade deadline.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Houston Rockets general manager Rafael Stone explained last week why he prioritized a bundle of first-round picks and not a current All-NBA player like Ben Simmons in a James Harden trade, he said it was because, "In the NBA, picks -- especially high picks -- are the best currency."
    Those valuable picks, the lifeblood of so many blockbusters, are suddenly in very short supply.

Two developments over the past couple of years have frozen numerous teams out of trading picks for years on end. Currently, 15 teams are either out multiple first-round picks, forbidden from trading more, or have their picks locked -- "en bered" in front-office vernacular, which means they can't trade them for multiple years.
    The March 25 trade deadline was already set to challenge buyers as the new play-in tournament means 20 teams can make the "postseason" this year, incentivizing teams on the fringes from giving up. But coupled with the scarcity of picks available, the nature of trades could change for the foreseeable future.

EDITOR'S PICKS

The NBA has a long history of legislating measures to protect teams from themselves. From the "Stepien rule" in 1982, which prohibited trading first-round picks in consecutive years, to limits on rookie and star contracts, to recent changes in the draft lottery that discourage tanking, one rule is particularly germane in this discussion: teams can only trade picks seven years into the future -- up to the 2027 draft for the current league year.
    In the fall of 2017, there was an item on the league's preseason board of governors meeting agenda that called for a vote on a rule that would ban trading pick swaps to teams that already owed future first-round picks to other teams. Basically, a "Brooklyn Nets rule" dating to the infamous 2013 trade with the Boston Celtics that led to the swap of the pick that became the No. 1 in the 2017 draft.
    Despite a lobbying effort by several teams, the vote was taken off that agenda. As such, superstar trades that have included multiple first-round picks plus pick swaps have continued unabated. The NBA has seen four of them in roughly 18 months (the Anthony Davis, Paul George, Jrue Holiday and Harden deals).
    The other development is the new, flatter draft lottery, enabling teams to climb from further back into top spots. In 2019, the first year of the revamped odds, the New Orleans Pelicans jumped from sixth to first and the Lakers from 11th to fourth. Last year, the Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls took advantage of improved odds to rise into the top four.
    As a result, when teams trade first-round picks with protections, they've added more restrictions to prevent being burned by an unexpected leap in the new lottery format. The Detroit Pistons and Portland Trail Blazers each traded first-rounders that had sliding protections for seven seasons.
    Half the league is frozen out of trading first-rounders

With 2028 draft picks unable to be included in trades until the start of next season, here is a look at the teams with little or no flexibility when it comes to dealing first-round picks.
    TEAM NOTE
    BKN Can't trade any
    DAL Can't trade own until 2027
    DEN Can trade only own in 2021 or 2027
    DET Can't trade any
    GS Can't trade own until 2026
    LAC Can't trade any
    LAL Can't trade any
    MIA Can't trade any
    MIL Can't trade any
    MIN Can't trade own until 2024
    PHI Can't trade own from 2025-27
    PHX Can't trade own until 2027
    POR Can't trade any
    UTAH Can't trade own until 2026
    WAS Can trade only own in 2021
    This means neither of them can trade a first-rounder right now because they don't know when the pick will convey, and the Stepien rule locks them out of trading more. Plenty of teams are in similar jams:

• The Phoenix Suns, because of the three years of protections on the 2022 pick they sent to Oklahoma City for Chris Paul, can't trade a first-rounder until 2027. The Utah Jazz, because of the years of protections they put on a pick they sent to Memphis for Mike Conley, can't trade a first until 2026. The Dallas Mavericks, because of the two firsts they sent the New York Knicks for Kristaps Porzingis plus three years of protections, can't trade a first until 2027.
    • The Washington Wizards, because of a string of protections in the pick sent to Houston for Russell Westbrook, can trade this year's first, but it couldn't be protected and they can't trade any others. Considering the talent in the upcoming draft, a team like Washington that has a chance of being in the lottery is unlikely to trade an unprotected pick this season.
    • The Miami Heat owe their 2021 first to Oklahoma City and their 2023 first with three years of protections to the Thunder as well. Because of the Stepien rule and an uncertainty of when those picks can convey, the Heat also can't currently trade a first-rounder.
    • Because of star acquisitions that required multiple firsts and the Stepien rule, the LA Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks, Lakers and Nets also can't trade any first-round pick right now.

Seven teams are totally locked out of the draft-pick market this season at the trade deadline -- and considering Washington's situation, it might as well count as the provisional eighth. Discussions with those in the league believe a list this deep has never happened.
    With the going rate to acquire star players being so high, the lack of supply could inhibit the market for the next star who wants out. One consequence of all this, league executives predict, is that the pick swaps themselves become more commonplace in trades.

A flurry of first-round picks changed hands in the James Harden and Jrue Holiday trades. Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty ImagesAmending old trades is another possibility, something that has already started. When the Bucks wanted to make their trade for Holiday, they were unable to trade the needed three unprotected first-rounders to New Orleans because of a protected first-rounder owed to the Cleveland Cavaliers starting in 2022.
    The Bucks had to convince the Cavs to unprotect the pick, ensuring it would convey in 2022, so they would be allowed to move picks in 2025 and 2027 in the Holiday trade.
    But nothing is free. Milwaukee had to pay Cleveland a second-round pick to amend the trade.
    This puts the teams holding protected picks in solid position. When the Heat had brief talks with the Rockets about a Harden trade, the only way they could've included their own future first-rounders would've been to call the Thunder and agree on a new price to unprotect the picks in addition to what they'd have to trade to the Rockets.
    Focusing just on the upcoming trade deadline, only a few contending teams have picks in this year's draft that can be traded: the Philadelphia 76ers, Celtics, Toronto Raptors and Denver Nuggets.

But even that comes with caveats. Because the Nuggets owe a pick with protections to -- you guessed it, the Thunder -- starting in 2023, this is the last year they can trade a first until 2027. Because the 76ers owe a pick with protections to -- you guessed it again, the Thunder -- starting in 2025, they can trade 2021 or 2023 firsts but no others.
    When next season starts, the 2028 picks will become available for the trade market, though that's so far off into the future it's hard to assign value to them now. And a few picks will probably convey in the 2021 draft that will loosen some teams' restrictions.
    But if an NBA team wants to acquire a first-round pick in the near future, it may find the market rather tight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather see this than go for Drummond

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3xw3v6p

Here's a trade I could see NY putting on the table (they'd be including an unprotected or lightly protected 1st as well).

They still have cap room and can accept an unbalanced trade and DDR should secure them a playoff spot. We get to let the kids run, pick up an asset, and save a little money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him for Beal. It’s better than resigning Derozan. It’s a gamble that a key free agent will sign here so why not try to acquire Beal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him for Beal. It’s better than resigning Derozan. It’s a gamble that a key free agent will sign here so why not try to acquire Beal?
    Lol please elaborate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would probably require 3 1st's and couple pucks swaps and maybe a youngster.... I don't think we are close enough to a le to push all of our chips (or most of our chips) in on a move like that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beal is young. What? 26? 27? His contract is pricey, but he has shown he can be a star. DeRozan doesn’t fit well and there is a good chance he’ll walk after this off season. Why not try to get someone as great as Beal who is under contract who can improve this team. I know Washington won’t trade straight up, but a 1st and someone like Walker might be sufficient. I’d hate to get rid of Walker, but in order to get someone like Beal it’s gonna cost. Spurs have to take a risk some time if they wanna improve.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beal is young. What? 26? 27? His contract is pricey, but he has shown he can be a star. DeRozan doesn’t fit well and there is a good chance he’ll walk after this off season. Why not try to get someone as great as Beal who is under contract who can improve this team. I know Washington won’t trade straight up, but a 1st and someone like Walker might be sufficient. I’d hate to get rid of Walker, but in order to get someone like Beal it’s gonna cost. Spurs have to take a risk some time if they wanna improve.
    Ok a 1st and Walker + DDR.... I'm sure we'd do that...but why would they take less than holiday brought to Nola... ? It's not realistic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close. Washington will look for a Jrue/George type of deal. Spurs aren't good enough to be able to afford to dump all of their future picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh. no. I'd literally rather extend DeRozan, then cut him than trade for Drum.
    Could you explain using a working example of how this would work and how Cleveland would fall for it?

I don't do 5D checkers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People just pulling trade ideas out of their ass. Bradley beal isn't going anywhere unless someone gives up a minimum 3 first rd picks and a promising talent. Even that is just setting the bar, and it's low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're all delusional if you think the Spurs are gonna trade DeRozan. Didn't you see how Pop and RC practically built this team around him? DD is the team's primarily ballhandler and facilitator. Meanwhile, Pop will not a make another blockbuster deal involving DeRozan after it took them years to stabilize the team after Kawhi and Green left. If it isn't obvious by now, the Spurs are trying to get to the playoffs while developing their young guys. Keldon and Murray have breakout seasons as we speak.

Thread Information