My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Failure to return calls to Nets.
    What a massive got. Are NBA owners really so spineless as to put up with this ? Coaches and fellow players also?

Kyrie Irving’s absence came as a surprise.

The Nets suited up for their nationally televised win over the Philadelphia 76ers without either of their superstars. Durant is in quarantine after a COVID-19 exposure. As for Irving? Here’s what head coach Steve Nash said pregame.

Nash: ‘I don’t know’

“I don’t know,” Nash said when asked why Irving was absent. “I just found out. I just sent him a message in the last half hour. I haven’t heard back yet. Obviously thinking about him and hope all is well. It’s a private matter.”

That was in the hour leading up to tip-off. Irving was officially listed as out for personal reasons.

Irving to miss more games?
    There’s speculation that Irving decided to take a mental health day in the aftermath of the tumult of the last two days around the U.S. Capitol invasion and the Jacob Blake decision. There’s also a report from The Athletic’s Joe Vardon that Irving “is OK, but didn’t know when he would return.”

The Nets announced after the game that Irving isn’t flying with the team for Friday’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies.

Whatever the reason and however long Irving is out, he didn’t bother to consult his head coach ahead of time or respond when Nash checked in.

Kyrie Irving didn't inform Steve Nash of his absence or respond when his head coach checked in.

Irving’s challenged Nash’s authority before
    It’s a situation that’s not going to quell concerns that Irving doesn’t respect Nash in his role. Irving had this to say in the preseason about the rookie head coach he used to play against.

“I don't really see us having a head coach,” Irving said in October while suggesting a collaborative approach to coaching decisions. “KD could be a head coach, I could be a head coach.”

Irving walked back those comments in December in the days leading up to the season.

“I think I’ve got to take back my comments in terms of the head coach back a few months ago,” Irving said. “But it’s just like, man, we have such a great synergy. Everyone feels like we’re coaching one another to be better, so I’m grateful for that.”

After the season tipped off with a win over the Golden State Warriors, Irving led a locker-room speech delivering the game ball to Nash

On one hand, it comes off as a nice gesture. On another, it looks like a passive-aggressive way to assert who’s actually in charge of the Nets locker room. Handing out game balls generally falls under the coach’s purview.

NBA: Kyrie Irving didn't tell Steve Nash he would miss game (yahoo.com)

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Stephen a Smith was right when he said this guy should retire

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing Stephen a Smith was right when he said this guy should retire
    Maybe he'll fall off the edge of the earth that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    remember when this pos was just a pos, then he wins a ring, he is still a big pos

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was fined just under a million dollars. It's the biggest fine I can think of since the malice at the palace

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole collective of the NBA needs to weed out all these prima donnas before the league is completely sacked with losers like Kyrie.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

holy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was fined just under a million dollars. It's the biggest fine I can think of since the malice at the palace

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Lmao extensive time away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie is a ing nut job. got needs to gtfo if he can't suit up just because "he doesn't feel like it". outta here with that .

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyrie is a ing nut job. got needs to gtfo if he can't suit up just because "he doesn't feel like it". outta here with that .
    As I mentioned earlier, he should just sail away somewhere and fall off the edge of the earth.

Thread Information