Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like calling Aldridge post ups to get him going , counters what this season is about. Pop slowing the game down again to get anything from LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a reason Phil Jackson called him and his staff the simulator crew. He’s never had a feel for the game.
    Remind me where Jackson is coaching now. He hasn’t been able to get a gig in nearly a decade, because he only has one tool in his tool box: the triangle. Oh, and he also got into a spat with the biggest star in the league.

Phil called them the simulator crew because of an overly developed sense of self importance. His “coaching” consists of absolute reliance on the inventor of the triangle being on his staff, and the ability to find two teams with multiple All NBA players who had both already been to the conference finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said, for one of the few times, ever, I’ll put this one on Pop. He needed to get Aldridge off the floor late, and failed to do so. He didn’t even necessarily need to bring in Poeltl. Gay is probably big and mobile enough to at least stay in front of Wood.

Do better, Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said, for one of the few times, ever, I’ll put this one on Pop.
    He started and gave big minutes to Bryn Forms for 150 of 152 games and you say "for one of the few times, ever"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as longtime Spurs fans, y'all should know Pop's way of thinking by now. He coaches like this is the military. Mills has been here for 10 years, he's a military veteran, so he will always be out there instead of Walker who's only been here for 3 years. Skillset does not go into the evaluation. Even on defensive posessions at the end of games Mills will be out there, which is absolutely idiotic.

Aside from that Pop drawing up a play has become a joke. When was the last time he drew up a successful play? Was it that Belinelli 3 against the Kings last season? He let DeRozan go 1-on-1 against the Rockets best defender, PJ Tucker. All he had to do is call for one screen to get Tucker off DeRozan and that shot would've been a lot easier.

Additional to that, Pop has been had the team come out flat for years now. I don't think a lot of players take his motivational speeches serious anymore. And if we had a lead at halftime, we come out flat in the 2nd. Back then when it happened he had Manu and all he had to do was sub in him and he'll give the team the neccessary energy, that is gone now.

Pop is also not as experienced as a coach as people think. He coached Aldridge like he was Duncan, he coaches DJ like he's Parker, he coaches White like he's Manu and he's using DeRozan like he used to use Nephew when he became the #1 option. He's had Duncan/Ginobili/Parker for most of his coaching career and clearly doesn't understand how to change his approach without them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as longtime Spurs fans, y'all should know Pop's way of thinking by now. He coaches like this is the military. Mills has been here for 10 years, he's a military veteran, so he will always be out there instead of Walker who's only been here for 3 years. Skillset does not go into the evaluation. Even on defensive posessions at the end of games Mills will be out there, which is absolutely idiotic.

Aside from that Pop drawing up a play has become a joke. When was the last time he drew up a successful play? Was it that Belinelli 3 against the Kings last season? He let DeRozan go 1-on-1 against the Rockets best defender, PJ Tucker. All he had to do is call for one screen to get Tucker off DeRozan and that shot would've been a lot easier.

Additional to that, Pop has been had the team come out flat for years now. I don't think a lot of players take his motivational speeches serious anymore. And if we had a lead at halftime, we come out flat in the 2nd. Back then when it happened he had Manu and all he had to do was sub in him and he'll give the team the neccessary energy, that is gone now.

Pop is also not as experienced as a coach as people think. He coached Aldridge like he was Duncan, he coaches DJ like he's Parker, he coaches White like he's Manu and he's using DeRozan like he used to use Nephew when he became the #1 option. He's had Duncan/Ginobili/Parker for most of his coaching career and clearly doesn't understand how to change his approach without them.

i agree with you on a decent amount of points but the military analogy is way off base in my opinion.

in the military they have jobs/rates and rank for a reason. Just because you’ve been in a branch for “X” amount of years doesn’t automatically give you complete authority over someone. There is a thing called situational authority in the military that is very real. no matter how long your tenure or high you are ranked doesn’t mean you can tell someone who is trained in a certain job you know nothing about what to do. Of course you must respect the persons rank but it is a reason there are chain of commands in the military.

a competent supervisor in charge isn’t going to automatically give a job to the person who is longer tenure, they are going to give it to the person who has the qualifications. Actually the rules state this as so in any branch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree with you on a decent amount of points but the military analogy is way off base in my opinion.

in the military they have jobs/rates and rank for a reason. Just because you’ve been in a branch for “X” amount of years doesn’t automatically give you complete authority over someone. There is a thing called situational authority in the military that is very real. no matter how long your tenure or high you are ranked doesn’t mean you can tell someone who is trained in a certain job you know nothing about what to do. Of course you must respect the persons rank but it is a reason there are chain of commands in the military.

a competent supervisor in charge isn’t going to automatically give a job to the person who is longer tenure, they are going to give it to the person who has the qualifications. Actually the rules state this as so in any branch
    I give you that, but I wasn't neccessarily talking about ranks. More like Mills is the battle tested soldier, who's been in many battles, while Walker is a newbie. That kind of analogy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills lack of ability on D should be reason enough to keep him glued to the bench in the last 5 minutes of a close game. If it's the third quarter and we're trading buckets, than yeah, fine. But when it's crunch time and it's really all about stops, he needs to be watching, not playing.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season we need to develop our young players. The vets chasing a new contract is distracting. I see that a lot of posters wanted Pop to play more of the young players at the end…we might’ve still lost but I just want the young guys to get experience. Realistic expectations are important this year, and that includes Pop being Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with the OP. We can't give away the games we should win. This game negates the Laker victory, and it didn't have to happen. We're not the team from 4 or 5 years ago that could coast through the first half of the schedule and still win 55 games. This team needs to be desperate every game if they have a shot of the playoffs.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills lack of ability on D should be reason enough to keep him glued to the bench in the last 5 minutes of a close game. If it's the third quarter and we're trading buckets, than yeah, fine. But when it's crunch time and it's really all about stops, he needs to be watching, not playing.
    With White out, Vassel needs way more minutes but they are going to Mills. I appreciate Mills for his dedication to the Spurs, he is a lifer, but he still needs a few less minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remind me where Jackson is coaching now. He hasn’t been able to get a gig in nearly a decade, because he only has one tool in his tool box: the triangle. Oh, and he also got into a spat with the biggest star in the league.

Phil called them the simulator crew because of an overly developed sense of self importance. His “coaching” consists of absolute reliance on the inventor of the triangle being on his staff, and the ability to find two teams with multiple All NBA players who had both already been to the conference finals.
    Preach.. I've always thought Phil Jackson is the luckiest SOB to get 3 of the most dominant players in the NBA and Tex with his brilliant triangle offense, and takes all the credit for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad that Spurs lost last night to the lowly Rockets with Mills closing it with the Vets. I hope that was a smack in the coaches' face. That experiment didn't get them to the playoffs last year and he went back to it? Shame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop emoji needs to be updated with his new snow white flowing locks!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. This loss is on Pop. His decision to go with Mills and Aldridge was horrible. The Spurs were carried by the young guns and it should’ve remained that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's been done for a long time now unfortunately.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Mills closing games still is ing insanity. I guarantee when White comes back, Mills will still be the closer. the old man can't help himself. I really hope a contender trades for Patty so Pop won't be tempted to continue leaning on his pets when the young guys need reps in close games like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills closing games still is ing insanity. I guarantee when White comes back, Mills will still be the closer. the old man can't help himself. I really hope a contender trades for Patty so Pop won't be tempted to continue leaning on his pets when the young guys need reps in close games like this.
    Couldn't agree more. Mills playing at all is only tolerable insofar as his trade value is raised. When's the trade deadline? If this scrub is still on the team after that, I might have to stop following the games as closely. I already suffered through an entire season of the Chucky Mill$ show, I don't think I can take another one. The silver lining is, it gets us closer to the lottery with each L that he spearheads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC Wombat wasnt even a closer the first few games of the season. Once it was established that he was hot to start the season, Pop just couldn't help himself.

The worst part is he's an automatic closer, regardless of how he's playing now. That hot start gives him so much leeway. He could struggle like he did against HOU and Pop would still give him like 25 games as the closer to try to "regain his form".

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losses don't even feel bad anymore, tbh. As long as Johnson and Vassell played well, I'm good.
    This is exactly how I feel. I am watching for specific players more than ever before.

Thread Information