Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop and Patty deserve Fs. Stupid decision to leave Mills in the game in the 4th. Told my wife Houston will comeback because of Mills’ defense or lack thereof.
    Agreed. Patty has been playing great this season but last night he was obviously off, and started pressing later in the game to get himself going and try to play hero.

Stupid decision on his part when you've got Johnson and Walker getting whatever they want, but it's partially on Pop because that's Patty's role when he is on the floor. You can't force shots when you are on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Really not sure why people post stuff like this. Timvp is just like any other guy. He's ordinary like you and me. He doesn't have a degree or specialization in basketball. These grades aren't official for anything. No one is going to take these grades and use it for anything else. Doesn't make any sense to criticize the grades, especially when you aren't offering your own.
    Some posters seem to think every player either deserves an A+ or an F- with no imbetween.

Aldridge had some good moments, and a lot of bad ones. He was getting abused on defense, but also hit some shots late in the game to try to keep the Spurs afloat. I could justify a D, but a C- is certainly fair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More national recognition for KJ:

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on LJ, Pop deserved a big fat F for the fourth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are people here expecting Flopovich to get an F when SniffVP didn't give him F's for starting Bryn Forbes 2 years straight?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Pop had figured out that the old guys are, well...old.

I'd of much rather watched our young guys go down swinging than to go with essentially the same line-up and game plan that cost us so many games in the 4th quarter last season. Give Johnson or Walker that last shot. I called DeRozan's miss, exactly like he did it, before it came out of his hand. Had he been hot all night I might have forgiven Pop, but it was obvious to everyone that it wasn't DeRozan's...or Patty Mills night. And Patty needs to be a role player, and that role isn't to be on the floor late in games. We got out-hustled last night and all of our veterans didn't come to play.

I really was proud of Pop for turning the corner and actually putting some trust in the youth movement. Last night's Q4 play-calling and rotations down the stretch proved me wrong.

Boo....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Really not sure why people post stuff like this. Timvp is just like any other guy. He's ordinary like you and me. He doesn't have a degree or specialization in basketball. These grades aren't official for anything. No one is going to take these grades and use it for anything else. Doesn't make any sense to criticize the grades, especially when you aren't offering your own.
    Did you post the same thing for the people who said the grades were great ? Cause these grades aren't official or anything. No one is going to take these grades and use it for anything else. It doesn't make sense to congratulate the grades, especially when you aren't offering your own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you post the same thing for the people who said the grades were great ? Cause these grades aren't official or anything. No one is going to take these grades and use it for anything else. It doesn't make sense to congratulate the grades, especially when you aren't offering your own.
    Nice try, but I think the point went over your head. If someone made a post with *grades* (good or bad) I disagreed with, I wouldn't waste my time to critique it. Their opinion, timvp's opinion, my opinion, are all on equal ground. timvp's grades aren't holy and true nor did he claim it was to warrant your nonsense post. He's not a basketball savant. I'm not a basketball savant. We're all average joes. It doesn't matter if the grades were positive or negative. This isn't grade school. Humble yourself and think at a higher level, please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice try, but I think the point went over your head. If someone made a post with *grades* (good or bad) I disagreed with, I wouldn't waste my time to critique it. Their opinion, timvp's opinion, my opinion, are all on equal ground. timvp's grades aren't holy and true nor did he claim it was to warrant your nonsense post. He's not a basketball savant. I'm not a basketball savant. We're all average joes. It doesn't matter if the grades were positive or negative. This isn't grade school. Humble yourself and think at a higher level, please.
    That being said, Pop should get an F

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I've ever seen Pop with an F tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't catch the game, looks like I didn't miss much when will Pop learn that for young guys to get better at closing, they need to start closing games instead of always having to rely on vets...

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst part of this team is how boring they are to watch.

They should be running up and down the court, shooting a bunch of threes. Instead, we get heavy doses of derozan and Aldridge. Yawn inducing mediocrity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst part of this team is how boring they are to watch.

They should be running up and down the court, shooting a bunch of threes. Instead, we get heavy doses of derozan and Aldridge. Yawn inducing mediocrity
    They're exponentially more fun to watch than last season, tbh, I don't know what kind of games you're looking for. The Spurs will never be one of those teams "running up and down the court, shooting a bunch of threes" because it's simply not the philosophy of the team (and I personally like them better for it, tbh). The vets are overplayed and that sucks, but apart from that, the youth has been quite exciting to watch this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're exponentially more fun to watch than last season, tbh, I don't know what kind of games you're looking for. The Spurs will never be one of those teams "running up and down the court, shooting a bunch of threes" because it's simply not the philosophy of the team (and I personally like them better for it, tbh). The vets are overplayed and that sucks, but apart from that, the youth has been quite exciting to watch this season.
    This guy gets it.

I don't understand why people want us to become a ty version of the Rockettes when we have spent the last 15 years trashing Pringles-ball.

The only players who should really be gunning away from three are White, Mills, and maybe Lonnie. Johnson has shown he can hit them if needed but he doesn't strike me as a volume shooter and is better going to the rim.

DeRozan shooting threes has helped his game but he is still not a sharpshooter from there. Murray is barely over 30% from three.

Aldridge seems to have completely forgotten how the to shoot a basketball. And I'd be satisfied if I don't see Lyles on the floor anymore this season.

Just "running and shooting a bunch of threes" doesn't work if you don't have the personnel.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that the team is really fun to watch when the young guys are running the show. And they do plenty of running, as we've seen yesterday.

Then Pop trots out his lineups with 3 of Patty/DDR/Rudy/LMA and it reverts back to 2003.
    *A bad 2003 team, not 2003 Spurs, just to be clear.

Iso chucking, no sense of urgency, awful rotations, awful pnr defense. Opponents start making every shot and the whole game collapses.

Even having 2 of DDR/Rudy/LMA on the floor at the same time makes us an awful defensive team, 3 of them at the same time is just a disaster.
    Poeltl mitigated some of it last season, but now that he looks like he's a 15 year vet who's about to retire, it's a layup drill every single game. If the primary defender gets taken out off the dribble or gets stuck on a screen, everything falls apart. Two passes and it's a wide open shot. Every single game. Devin is the only one who's somewhat consistently making good rotations and plays as a help defender. We need a defensive anchor badly. Either a PF or C, doesn't matter.

LMA is just done, negative on both ends of the floor if he's not having one of his hot shooting nights.
    Patty really convinced himself he's a 20ppg scorer and Pop will never tell him to stop chucking. He's also a negative asset when his shot isn't falling, as we've seen yesterday.
    Rudy is beyond washed. Has his moments here and there, but his current ability doesn't deserve more than a vet minimum.
    Demar is in contract year and he's actually trying to play defense even though he's still awful. He adjusted his game and is letting the young guys take over when they're hot. But he just doesn't fit with them. Unless the other team has a useless wing that just sits in the corner, Demar is a liability on every defensive possession.

Sure, if Demar leaves, the roster would be worse short term. But experience isn't something you can trade for. It's better to have the young guys learn from their mistakes this season, than have them defer to Demar for another couple of years and not be ready to be the first option when it's time to take the next step in the playoffs.

4 expiring vets are so bad for the future of the team that I'd be happy if all of them walked at the end of the season, even if we get absolutely nothing in return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said, Pop should get an F
    this

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What used to set the Spurs apart from other teams was the willingness to adapt to change. The corner three, small ball, 3 and D on the wing. Now they’re just archaic and it’s embarrassing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 expiring vets are so bad for the future of the team that I'd be happy if all of them walked at the end of the season, even if we get absolutely nothing in return.
    I'm starting to think the same thing. If all of the vets walked and we got nothing, I don't think I'd be that upset about it at all. That 4th quarter line-up was atrocious. He ing loves Patty Mills like he loved Bryn Forbes. Awful biased coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What used to set the Spurs apart from other teams was the willingness to adapt to change. The corner three, small ball, 3 and D on the wing. Now they’re just archaic and it’s embarrassing.
    Ehh, the youth is playing pretty modern basketball, tbh. The archaic stuff is mostly the vets, who I also wish were off the team and probably will be by next season. Beyond that, the youth is pretty well adapted to how the league's currently playing, with the major differences being the amount of 3's we take (and make), which as Dex points out is due to a lack of quality volume shooters, and the outdated defensive schemes, which are further made worse by really poor play by our big men. Overall though, there's just not the level of talent for some league-storming offensive - nor defensive - sets, tbh.

Also, I'd say the most important thing that set the Spurs apart from other teams over time has always been having their iden y in defense, tbh. That's been really untrue for this season, but still miles better than the last one. Baby steps...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans can be so reactionary

If the Spurs hit a three on that last possession, there'd be whines that Pop deserved an A and not a C-. But DeRozan missed the shot so Spurs fans want Pop to get an F instead of a C-. Good stuff

Complaints about relying on DeRozan, Aldridge and Mills down the stretch ring a bit hollow considering that's been the alignment all season and it has previously worked out well. (I complained about it too so I'm equally as guilty, tbh.)

The bigger issue with Pop's coaching came prior to the closing push, IMO. With DeRozan and Aldridge struggling so much, they should have played less -- particularly in the first three quarters. Pop has been doing just that more often than not ... but not last game, for whatever reason -- even though DeRozan and Aldridge were really struggling.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=LeBowen;10405910]I think that the team is really fun to watch when the young guys are running the show. And they do plenty of running, as we've seen yesterday.

Then Pop trots out his lineups with 3 of Patty/DDR/Rudy/LMA and it reverts back to 2003.
    *A bad 2003 team, not 2003 Spurs, just to be clear.

Iso chucking, no sense of urgency, awful rotations, awful pnr defense. Opponents start making every shot and the whole game collapses.

Even having 2 of DDR/Rudy/LMA on the floor at the same time makes us an awful defensive team, 3 of them at the same time is just a disaster.
    Poeltl mitigated some of it last season, but now that he looks like he's a 15 year vet who's about to retire, it's a layup drill every single game. If the primary defender gets taken out off the dribble or gets stuck on a screen, everything falls apart. Two passes and it's a wide open shot. Every single game. Devin is the only one who's somewhat consistently making good rotations and plays as a help defender. We need a defensive anchor badly. Either a PF or C, doesn't matter.

LMA is just done, negative on both ends of the floor if he's not having one of his hot shooting nights.
    Patty really convinced himself he's a 20ppg scorer and Pop will never tell him to stop chucking. He's also a negative asset when his shot isn't falling, as we've seen yesterday.
    Rudy is beyond washed. Has his moments here and there, but his current ability doesn't deserve more than a vet minimum.
    Demar is in contract year and he's actually trying to play defense even though he's still awful. He adjusted his game and is letting the young guys take over when they're hot. But he just doesn't fit with them. Unless the other team has a useless wing that just sits in the corner, Demar is a liability on every defensive possession.

Sure, if Demar leaves, the roster would be worse short term. But experience isn't something you can trade for. It's better to have the young guys learn from their mistakes this season, than have them defer to Demar for another couple of years and not be ready to be the first option when it's time to take the next step in the playoffs.

4 expiring vets are so bad for the future of the team that I'd be happy if all of them walked at the end of the season, even if we get absolutely nothing in return.[/QUOTE

Great post could not agree more wit you. Sometimes you have to take a couple of steps back in order to go forward again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn’t make you any ‘Aussie-er’ dropping in every post FYI.
    seen

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ehh, the youth is playing pretty modern basketball, tbh. The archaic stuff is mostly the vets, who I also wish were off the team and probably will be by next season. Beyond that, the youth is pretty well adapted to how the league's currently playing, with the major differences being the amount of 3's we take (and make), which as Dex points out is due to a lack of quality volume shooters, and the outdated defensive schemes, which are further made worse by really poor play by our big men. Overall though, there's just not the level of talent for some league-storming offensive - nor defensive - sets, tbh.

Also, I'd say the most important thing that set the Spurs apart from other teams over time has always been having their iden y in defense, tbh. That's been really untrue for this season, but still miles better than the last one. Baby steps...
    Yes, the vets are the entire problem. They don’t need to be the focus/iden y of this team. That’s pop’s choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the vets are the entire problem. They don’t need to be the focus/iden y of this team. That’s pop’s choice.
    I can agree wholeheartedly with you on this. I'd go as far as saying that Pop identifies himself, and the team, with the vets, and we're on the cusp of a hard culture reset next season or the next one, whenever Pop lets go of the helm, and the team inevitably shakes off these low-value vets in favor of either more young players, or hopefully high-quality vets. There's a lot of things that are hanging on by Pop's thread right now, tbh, that wouldn't be so if he wasn't running the team. At least in my view of the team.

Thread Information