Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish the Spurs will be in a situation this game again where Pop is holding his cute little clipboard and calling for a Derozan midrange shot that will miss again. The more he embarrasses himself, the better I feel.
    Looks like it'll be a fun season for you to watch, I doubt we're anywhere near the end of that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, White was the engine of the bubble offense, and this current offense does look like a head-less chicken running around, so maybe there's a correlation there? It's also funny to suggest the Spurs should run more half-court offense, when they don't have the personnel for it in the slightest. Our starting PG cannot run a halfcourt offense, he can barely get the ball to LMA on the post and call it a day. How is slowing things down going to help the team, when the team's strengths lie in pace and athleticism, with multiple young players capable of outrunning the opponent?

I'd certainly love a bit more structure to the offense, but I doubt it's the same you're after. My kind of structure is the vets get no more than X amount of shot a quarter, and have to pass the ball after they've filled up the quota . Seems like that would stop some of the embarrasing chucking going on these games...
    The Spurs totally have the personnel to run in the half-court. They just can't do it AND play the way "star" Murray wants to play. He needs to stop being a primary ball-handler and scoring option. He basically has to score at an unsustainable level to justify the touches he takes right now. I don't know how many possessions in the first half turned fell apart as soon as Murray touched the ball and decided to iso or call a PnR. That in particular needs to get out of his game. If he just attacked when he had the advantage, made cuts, shot open threes and got rebounds and put-backs, I think he'd be doing really well. But there's zero-reason for him to be running the show with DeRozan on the court. He's not as good at passing or scoring, so it's basically just the team getting a worse DeMar for those possessions.

I don't know why folks think young guys isoing is somehow better than vets doing it. The vets at least have a history of being good at it to fall back on. I personally don't want to watch Johnson barrel into the paint to get his shot blocked anymore than I want to watch Gay get his post-up blocked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA’s effort...smh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA useless on both ends

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Wood ever kicked it out of a deep post catch? Why isn’t there a hard double??

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016 David West > 2021 LMA, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is so damn good at finishing at the rim. That is super impressive for such a young player. Dude just goes 100 MPH all the time which is definitely a damn skill because everyone can’t do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus has been atrocious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon is so damn good at finishing at the rim. That is super impressive for such a young player. Dude just goes 100 MPH all the time which is definitely a damn skill because everyone can’t do that.
    ‘I’ve started to see variation in his finishes today. Euros to floaters, a soft bank shot off a half spin. Exciting to see. Just keeps getting better at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs totally have the personnel to run in the half-court. They just can't do it AND play the way "star" Murray wants to play. He needs to stop being a primary ball-handler and scoring option. He basically has to score at an unsustainable level to justify the touches he takes right now. I don't know how many possessions in the first half turned fell apart as soon as Murray touched the ball and decided to iso or call a PnR. That in particular needs to get out of his game. If he just attacked when he had the advantage, made cuts, shot open threes and got rebounds and put-backs, I think he'd be doing really well. But there's zero-reason for him to be running the show with DeRozan on the court. He's not as good at passing or scoring, so it's basically just the team getting a worse DeMar for those possessions.

I don't know why folks think young guys isoing is somehow better than vets doing it. The vets at least have a history of being good at it to fall back on. I personally don't want to watch Johnson barrel into the paint to get his shot blocked anymore than I want to watch Gay get his post-up blocked.
    So, we don't have the personnel for running a half-court offense . I'm in the same bout as you, re DJ and his role on the team, but it's plenty obvious that he's been anointed as the PG of this team, which effectively means we do. not. have. the personnel to run those complex sets. For now at least, though I doubt he's traded in the near future. I guess if you asked Pop why DJ handles the ball those possessions, he'd tell you it's either for him to gain experience and learn how to do it in the future (which makes some sense, only that I don't think DJ will ever evolve into being at least average at running an offense), or simply that "he's the PG of the team, of course he's running the offense". Either way, the end result is the same - at least with Pop at the helm.

That's the allure of a bubble offense, tbh. It allows the Spurs to play fast, younging-spearheaded, not-vet-centered offense, with our current personnel. On a separate note, I don't think DeRozan is good enough to run a true (aka, offensively efficient) half-court offense. He doesn't go much farther than drive-and-kick, which is easy enough to gameplan against once the D knows what's up. That's why the "hydra style" offense is alluring, but Pop seems -bent to put the nail on the coffin of that by actively icing Lonnie and company, in favor of vet ISO shots. I don't really know why... But it's clearly not working.

Also, for your last point, I entirely disagree. I'd rather have a Lonnie ISO than a DeMar ISO all day, every day. Will it bring us as many points per try? No. Will it win us as many games? Probably not. But is it better in the long run to have the youngings face these high-stakes situations, make mistakes, and learn from them? Absolutely. A loss (or win) like last game against the Rockettes', where only the vets are closing out the games, is of little use to San Antonio long-term. I already know what DeMar will do in the clutch, and it's not leading us to any les anytime soon. How about we give the ball to Keldon and see him develop? Not that crazy of an idea, IMO.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Mills is just going to keep chucking and chucking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty looking like a damn AK47 out there with his gunning. Fool is cold as

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay and patty have been nothing short of pathetic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6th man Patty has regressed to 15th man, some terrible desicions. We can't shoot for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    look these refs...ridiculous

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills running an offense is truly poetry in motion.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man wtf happend to patty

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    this is embarrassing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another scoring drought...

4:56 Patty Mills makes two point shot 63 - 69

1:04 - 3rd
    NBATV 1 2 3 4 T
    HOU 30 23 18 71
    SA 21 29 19 69

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a stupid lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This vet lineup Pop has come up with is disgusting ��

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The vets are horrible on this team.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf is ddr still doing on the court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan looks awful, what the is this lineup doing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate that Pop ruined Patty Mills for me. Use to be one of my favorite players of all time until Pops love affair with him soured my view.

Thread Information