Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

I hate drafting players for fit, but Vassell was the better fit of the two as well. Halliburton is a PG. Same height, but Vassell plays bigger as a wing.

His defense has a chance to be elite too.
    Incoming "but the Spurs don't ackshually have a PG on the team!!!" comments, tbh

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would probably be 11-5 right now tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe the agent mentioned that he didn't want to go to any Team inside the Top 10... Even so, that's sacrificing a lot of money to go to a team like the Kings instead.... I would 100% rather go to the Warriors than Sacramento but... that's on him.
    do you really think they had to call the Warriors and tell them not to pick him?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton would just either get DNPs or he'd sit in the corner while FIBA Patty chucks shots.

I think he's a good player, but I also think Devin can be special. We just need not to lose our minds and wait for the vets to leave in the summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton would just either get DNPs or he'd sit in the corner while FIBA Patty chucks shots.

I think he's a good player, but I also think Devin can be special. We just need not to lose our minds and wait for the vets to leave in the summer.
    This right here. I hate this thread and the old Scola one. (Althouth Scola eventually had a pretty good, above average career. Plus an Olympic stud. Hliburton is just a rookie on a ty team that grants him minutes.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes every good rookie that ever lived was only good if they weren't on bad teams first.

Vassell was a good pick. Tyrese would have been good too. Both things are true and it's okay to admit that, Slurpers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I love our guy Devin Vassell, who looks to be a high IQ player and contributes to winning basketball, Tyrese Haliburton just seems to have the "IT" factor of confidence and poise that you don't see most rookies possess.

I know we have too many guards but you guys act like he's 6'2" or something... he's still got good size at 6'5" and in a league that's moving towards smallball and positionless basketball, he could easily slide into the 3 spot. If Tyrese is who we "really wanted" (best player available) but Vassell was the better fit, we should have gone with Tyrese. Size is basically a toss up on them.

Plus, Tyrese will probably be even better than Lonnie Walker at end of this season. LW is due for a big contract extension. I'd let LW walk and let Tyrese, who is on a rookie deal, take his spot for the next 3-4 years.

Again, I ask, any Popsuckers gonna do some damage control on this one?
    We need to quit with this small ball narrative...the league isn't moving towards small ball...small ball has never worked...it's moving toward versatile ball...bit make no mistake,big teams win...even the warriors were on the bigger side...the one time they lost on their run is when their big man got injured... So us having a 6'4 PF isn't us catching up with the rest of the league... It's us being stupid... Big, versatile ball wins...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems him wanting to drop to the Kings was agent talk. He mentioned GS, CHI, NY and DET as his target destinations in the JJ Red podcast.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again I ask, any pop suckers gonna do any damage control on this one? Wasted a lottery pick. Just like we wasted a pick on Luka lmfao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again I ask, any pop suckers gonna do any damage control on this one? Wasted a lottery pick. Just like we wasted a pick on Luka lmfao.
    whatcha you talking about Devin Vassell has been great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched him against the Knicks tonight. He looks really good, but I don't know where he'd play on this team. It would mean getting rid of someone we already had. Vassell is an instant fit with what we need, plus factors as an exceptional defender while Haliburton is not great in that area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP reaching hard on this one...

Has a brain of a roach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a defensive small forward and Vassell is ing superior in that regard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton has been balling but I like Devin for our team. I think if he got more consistent minutes he would be putting up good numbers. For the amount of time he gets he always produces positively

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 years from now when Devin is making another all defensive team and we are looking back at Haliburton wondering why he peaked in his rookie season, I'll remember this thread fondly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 years from now when Devin is making another all defensive team and we are looking back at Haliburton wondering why he peaked in his rookie season, I'll remember this thread fondly.
    Agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hard to gauge players that get significant minutes on sub-par teams. especially when we just get highlights or box scores.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's playing meaningful minutes? What is the Kings' record?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton, with all the hype, will be a Tyrese Evans.
    Come on, we have a higher ceiling with Devin Vassell and he fills the defensive wing that Spurs always look for and key part of championship run, Ninja Elliott, Bruce Bowen, Kawhi and now Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton, with all the hype, will be a Tyrese Evans.
    Come on, we have a higher ceiling with Devin Vassell and he fills the defensive wing that Spurs always look for and key part of championship run, Ninja Elliott, Bruce Bowen, Kawhi and now Vassell.
    i don’t think it’s fair to compare Haliburton to Tyreke Evans. Tyreke got his numbers due to really good athletic ability on a bad team. The Kings aren’t great this season but they aren’t bad also. Not to mention Haliburton is more of a high basketball IQ type of player.

I think Haliburton will be a solid to good player (baring injuries) in the NBA for a long time. Where as Evans kinda peaked his (besides the one season in Memphis) rookie season. I mean Evans had some other good years in the NBA but his numbers never got much better than his rookie year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the long run it think Vassell will prove to be better than Haliburton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don’t think it’s fair to compare Haliburton to Tyreke Evans. Tyreke got his numbers due to really good athletic ability on a bad team. The Kings aren’t great this season but they aren’t bad also. Not to mention Haliburton is more of a high basketball IQ type of player.

I think Haliburton will be a solid to good player (baring injuries) in the NBA for a long time. Where as Evans kinda peaked his (besides the one season in Memphis) rookie season. I mean Evans had some other good years in the NBA but his numbers never got much better than his rookie year.
    Haliburton could very well be the ROY, like Evans, with the draft picks under performing, except for Melo. And that's a compliment. Evans carved a long NBA career. Nothing against Haliburton. He's a great kid.
    But going to the other point, Devin addresses Spurs need. I don't know why people want another guard when Spurs are heavy on guards, and Tre in the 2nd round was a steal too! Tre, once he makes those outside shots, and his forms are great so I don't see why he wouldn't, would be a solid player. Nash/Stockton IQ on how he distributes and set offense. I think we got really solid drafts this year and wouldn't want anybody else than what we drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I like Vassell as well, but no need to on Haliburton on this. There's no indicator that he's playing at his peak, nor that his game will age badly or is one-dimensional; his shooting has proven to translate to the NBA, even with that odd shooting motion, and he's a really high-IQ player, which always tend to have long careers in the league as opposed to athleticism-based prospects. His defense is one of the better in terms of overall Kangz defense, and I know because I've been watching a lot of their games. They are, bluntly put, a mess. I really can't understand thinking Luke MF Walton is the right choice to coach a young, developing team with playoffs aspiration... But it's looking like another lost season for Sactown.

I'm not saying your initial proposition can't come true, and Vassell definitely looks like a savant defensively, but there's just as much a chance of the opposite happening: Vassell's limited offensive game lowering his ceiling into a defensive roleplayer, whilst Hali's offensive arsenal, offensive IQ, shooting and offense-running turning him into a star or close to it, which isn't that much of a stretch given the modern, guard-heavy and shooting-heavy NBA. The only thing I'm certain of, is that scenario probably doesn't happen while he's on the Kings...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to give these players at least five years and then we can judge them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP wasn't really looking for any intelligent discussion... he was looking for any mistakes that the Spurs have made and then point it out to rile people up. Unfortunately, this is a big miss for the guy. Let's wait another week before he makes another obnoxious topic talking about "The Spurs should have done this...!".

Thread Information