Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton could very well be the ROY, like Evans, with the draft picks under performing, except for Melo. And that's a compliment. Evans carved a long NBA career. Nothing against Haliburton. He's a great kid.
    But going to the other point, Devin addresses Spurs need. I don't know why people want another guard when Spurs are heavy on guards, and Tre in the 2nd round was a steal too! Tre, once he makes those outside shots, and his forms are great so I don't see why he wouldn't, would be a solid player. Nash/Stockton IQ on how he distributes and set offense. I think we got really solid drafts this year and wouldn't want anybody else than what we drafted.

you’re preaching to the choir when it comes to Vassell. I like the pick and was one of the people early on who wanted us to draft him. It’s well do ented on this very site that I liked Vassell for us before the draft. Lmao

i think the draft hasn’t been that bad though. It’s been some solid players getting a decent amount of run so far. Avdija, Patrick Williams, Pritchard, Maxey, have all been pretty decent and it’s a few more guys that have been solid also. I didn’t even name guys like Bane, Wiseman, Melo, and even Anthony Edwards has had a few flashes of brilliance.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Haliburton was selected by the Spurs in lieu of Vessel and Vessel was selected by Sacramento than I believe there's a good chance that most people that are saying this will be saying that the Spurs should of selected Vessel in lieu of Haliburton because Vessel would of been playing more minutes, therefore showing more of what he can do in the court and Haliburton would of bot been given the opportunity to show his game because Pop would of not giving him the consistent playing time that a player needs to progress. Look at Keldon last season. Herro and P.J. Washington came out of Kentucky just like Keldon and they both got consistent minutes to show what they could do and Keldon did not until the bubble at the end of the season. If Pop would've played Keldon earlier, he would be further along in his progression right now. Some players are able to spread their wings a little more and play more freely to release more of their talents once they move on from the Spurs. Ginobili would've most likely been a constant allstar if on another team during his career but probably wouldn't won as many les. Spurs are more of a system team and I like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like both guys, but I don't see where this silly "Haliburton will peak in his rookie year" stuff is coming from. He's not even 21 yet, and playing great.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t have an issue with Vassel. The thing that I wonder is which teams were trying to trade up for Haliburton. Could they have traded back a few spots and still got Vassel and picked up an asset? Of course, if Vassel was so far above the next guy on their list that they felt they couldn’t risk it then I can live with that. It’s just so rare that the Spurs have leverage like they did for the 10 minutes they were on the clock I would have liked to see them use it.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like both. I’d love to have both on the team. But Vassel offers the chance to be part of an elite defensive team we are developing, so not as exciting but could be something special. And defense was definitely the focus of last draft, so let’s see how the team overall does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean if we go forward with DJ, White, Vassell, KJ, and Poetl that is a of a defensive line up going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know who has a similar game to Haliburton, and is probably attainable? Tomas Satoransky. Haliburton is more of a scorer, but Satoransky's shooting percentages are a hair better, and he averages more assists per 36 than him, and that's Haliburton's one big statistical advantage over Vassell. A trade for either DeRozan or Aldridge before the deadline would give the Bulls an insane amount of cap space for next off season, and is something they might consider. Satoransky has one more year on his contract after this year.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_...&p2yrfrom=2021

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t have an issue with Vassel. The thing that I wonder is which teams were trying to trade up for Haliburton. Could they have traded back a few spots and still got Vassel and picked up an asset? Of course, if Vassel was so far above the next guy on their list that they felt they couldn’t risk it then I can live with that. It’s just so rare that the Spurs have leverage like they did for the 10 minutes they were on the clock I would have liked to see them use it.
    Apparently Boston and Dallas. There might have been a bit of a chance that Vassell could have dropped to Boston's spot with NO being fixated or Lewis, but Sacramento likely get him anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again I ask, any pop suckers gonna do any damage control on this one? Wasted a lottery pick. Just like we wasted a pick on Luka lmfao.
    Dude.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Devin becomes a good rotational player and does not bust but Haliburton ends up being a better player, I can live with that. Now down the road if Haliburton is lighting up the league and Devin is playing in China than yeah, come in and run smack. If they're close, be happy with what you got.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin is going to be a good player and have a long NBA career absent an injury. He has a ton of upside. He would have better numbers, but because he is a rookie, he gets limited minutes. In three years, the Spurs are going to look smart for drafting him.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s just say the decision betwee Tyrese and Vassell was tough, and that they took all the time at the draft when it was their turn for a reason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s just say the decision betwee Tyrese and Vassell was tough, and that they took all the time at the draft when it was their turn for a reason.
    Brian hinted the same thing post draft. Same tier players then tiebreaker is position of need. Tyrese may well be the better player but we have more upside and versatility with Vassell. White and Hali have also a lot of overlap in skillset and weakness. We have secondary ballhandlers in patty and white , we don't have a team defender wing like vassell. This allows us to mix and match depending on matchups between him Keldon , Lonnie and Luka.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not faulting PATFO at all for going with the bigger need over another guard, but damn this mf is good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the record show that I was one of the only people in the Draft Thread last summer that was upset that the Spurs took Vassel over Halliburton

Damn. Can’t believe we passed on Halliburton, a true PG who’s 6’5, plays good Defense, shoots the 3 at a high clip, and is a good passer. Really wish we would’ve drafted him. He’s already better at every aspect of the game than DJ and he doesn’t seem to obsess over Instagram like Murray does. There’s a reason the analysts are saying the Kings got the steal of the night. Spurs blew it tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still have high hopes for Vassel though. Just think Halliburton is a more impactful player and he fell right into our laps. Could’ve been special tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add this to poops screw up list

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the record show that I was one of the only people in the Draft Thread last summer that was upset that the Spurs took Vassel over Halliburton
    I didn't know much about him, but now that I've seen how it's played out so far, I would have taken him and traded one of the other guys later in the season (White for example).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton would have been my choice if it were up to me, tbh ... and his offensive game has translated even better than I thought it would. Great IQ, great court vision and passer, deep range -- a lot to like about Haliburton on offense.

That said, advanced stats say Haliburton has been a disaster on defense. I haven't watched him enough to confirm he's been bad on D but given his skinny body and lack of strength, that was always a worry with him.

If Haliburton is legitimately a bad defender, then I think the Spurs made the right choice. I wouldn't enjoy a return to the Forbes/Belinelli years, even if Haliburton would have been a major asset on offense.

Vassell would have been my number two choice. So far, advanced stats say his defense has been great. Eye-test says his defense has been very good. He was really good offensively in the preseason and we've seen glimpses that he's more than a 3-and-D prospect.

Too early to tell which player will be better but I'm happy with Vassell. In a redraft situation, both of them probably jump over a number of players taken before them including Hayes, Jalen Smith, Okoro and maybe Avdija and Toppin.
    Tbh, Haliburton's defense didn't look bad. He's skinny but he fights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As with any Pop coached team, what would Haliburton's minutes be in comparison to Vassell's?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As with any Pop coached team, what would Haliburton's minutes be in comparison to Vassell's?
    Haliburton is a 6 point scorer on the Spurs due to minutes restrictions and also would have had his confidence broken by Pop.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will he get the same amount of playing time as Vassel now? Or worse due to the logjam?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, we should have taken the Marfan Demigod, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyrese is a far superior scorer and distributor to devin. Hopefully spurs arent kicking themselves in a year or two

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a big Devin fan. He's going to be good.

No matter who we pick its getting really frustrating having to wait 3 years for them to get meaningful minutes. A slight exageration but not much.

Thread Information