Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd argue that the Spurs system would've slowed Halliburton's development if he were our pick.
    He would get the yips and not have the rhythmic flow he's granted with the Kings.

Defensively, Vassell is a savant. Unreal instincts. He's still adjusting to the complexities of Pop's schemes, yet, is often telling the older guys what schemes they are running and where to be.

Haliburton is great, no doubt. I believe the Spurs picked the right player for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah well, that's the point. I don't see Haliburton as a franchise type player, and since he's a ball dominant one, I would rather have an impactful off ball player (like Vassell), than a "not good enough" playmaker.
    So far this year, Haliburton's Usage Rate is actually pretty low, at 17.7%. That's a bit higher than Vassell's (13.2%), but still lower than DeRozan, Murray, White, Gay, Walker, and KJ. I see Haliburton more as a glue guy than a ball dominant guy, but at this point I think the Kings probably get better as he increases his usage rate.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../SAS/2021.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../SAC/2021.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall acting like Vassell is a limited offensive player. He's not Danny Green on offense. I dont see his usage "skyrocketing" next year, but theres no reason prime Vassell (5-7 years from now) wont be a huge part of the teams offense, imho.

He has the tools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great discussion I’m impressed with most of the analysis even from 2k5. Minimal b*tch @ssness. This is only a discussion because Pop is done. I don’t even blame Mills anymore it’s not his fault he’s a midget. Pop not playing Vassell has to rank up there with biggest Pop blunders. Best shooter on the team and one of the best defenders. Hopefully Pop is gone once he breaks that all time wins record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton with 29 minutes-16 points,3 boards,6 dimes and 4 triples.....meanwhile vassell is a garbage man

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton with 29 minutes-16 points,3 boards,6 dimes and 4 triples.....meanwhile vassell is a garbage man
    Patience, Keldon barely played his rookie year and now looks like the 5th best player in his class. Pelton has Keldon at 4th best and Shcmitz at 5th best.

https://tv5.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...star-potential

Vassell already mentioned at 6 on Peltons board.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patience, Keldon barely played his rookie year and now looks like the 5th best player in his class. Pelton has Keldon at 4th best and Shcmitz at 5th best.

Vassell already mentioned at 6 on Peltons board.

Agreed. Vassell didn't get stuck in the D-League like most of the Spurs rookies, so that in and of itself is an accomplishment. Plus, he had no summer league and his role in the offense has been to stand in the corner. That will change with time, but they are basically running no plays for him when he is in the game, he doesn't handle the ball much, and he is forced to sit in the corner 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i really think that one would have to do some sort of comparison to gauge which system works best before declaring the spurs method a total bust. don't get me wrong, it's frustrating as to watch rudy and patty stink it up on so many nights while devon and luka sit on the bench, but i'd like to see how players that get immediate playing time fare 3 o4 years down the road in terms of development versus how players who spend time in the g-league or on the bench do 2 or 4 years down the road. take a guy like eubanks, for instance. he was just a towel waving guy for the past couple of years and i'd say his game is significantly better than what we did get to see of it in spot time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Vassell didn't get stuck in the D-League like most of the Spurs rookies, so that in and of itself is an accomplishment. Plus, he had no summer league and his role in the offense has been to stand in the corner. That will change with time, but they are basically running no plays for him when he is in the game, he doesn't handle the ball much, and he is forced to sit in the corner 3.
    "With young wings, I always think it's important to become really good at the role-player skills before being unleashed as any type of shot creator. That's the path that we've seen players like Brown, Kawhi Leonard and even OG Anunoby to some degree take with great success. " -from the article

- good teams put their wings through that process so I don't mind the corner 3 and D route, Keldon did graduate from it. And Mikal Bridges which is Vassell closest comp went through it just fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "With young wings, I always think it's important to become really good at the role-player skills before being unleashed as any type of shot creator. That's the path that we've seen players like Brown, Kawhi Leonard and even OG Anunoby to some degree take with great success. " -from the article

- good teams put their wings through that process so I don't mind the corner 3 and D route, Keldon did graduate from it. And Mikal Bridges which is Vassell closest comp went through it just fine.
    I don't think anybody is really saying they want Vassell to be anything but a role player as a rookie. But Pop won't even play him. Dude had a really nice game without the vets and then doesn't see any playing time immediately afterwards. That's where the real frustration is with him. Not that he isn't as good as Hal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hyper extended knee? That injury sucks. I got it playing basketball as well, and my knee swole up like a grapefruit. I was basically out of commission for 6 weeks. I was in a of alot of pain and needed pain killers for this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hyper extended knee? That injury sucks. I got it playing basketball as well, and my knee swole up like a grapefruit. I was basically out of commission for 6 weeks. I was in a of alot of pain and needed pain killers for this one.
    Looks exactly like Jamal Murray’s ACL. No contact at all, just collapses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fractured his wrist in college.

Let's see what the diagnosis is for this one.

Maybe similar to White or worse, and he's made of glass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully for him and the Kings it isn’t that serious. He has played really well as a rookie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need Vasselline's defense more than Haliburton's offence tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    • Dude has been a monster thisnyear. Glad hes knee is going to be ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Vassell will prove to be the better championship piece in the long run. The elite 3 and D wing that every championship team needs. A future Bruce Bowen, Danny Green type. While I see Haliburton as a future flawed borderline all-star that doesn't quite have what it takes to be a primary piece on a contender. What player would you rather have comes down to personal taste and/or cir stances. If the Spurs gets their franchise player in the upcoming years, we will be more than happy with Vassell. If not, then we might be kicking ourselves for not picking Haliburton.

Thread Information