Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am glad we have Vassell....I could give a rat's ass about Haliburton. The only ruing I will be doing this season is the failure to unload LMA on the Warriors for Wiseman and the failure to find a quality trade with Detroit for Wood, especially since we have Brian Wright now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton only looks so good because he is surrounded by the dysfunction of the kings tbh...somebody has to look normal out their for them...
    Tyreke Evans. Started off as a rookie 20/5/5, and everyone said he’d be the next Jordan. He pretty much got worse every year, and is no longer in the NBA. He’s 31. When you play for a team, you put up numbers because no one cares about you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People around here have been ing for ages that the Spurs never draft any long wings, and once they do they suddenly want to draft the second coming of Patty Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton would have been my choice if it were up to me, tbh ... and his offensive game has translated even better than I thought it would. Great IQ, great court vision and passer, deep range -- a lot to like about Haliburton on offense.

That said, advanced stats say Haliburton has been a disaster on defense. I haven't watched him enough to confirm he's been bad on D but given his skinny body and lack of strength, that was always a worry with him.

If Haliburton is legitimately a bad defender, then I think the Spurs made the right choice. I wouldn't enjoy a return to the Forbes/Belinelli years, even if Haliburton would have been a major asset on offense.

Vassell would have been my number two choice. So far, advanced stats say his defense has been great. Eye-test says his defense has been very good. He was really good offensively in the preseason and we've seen glimpses that he's more than a 3-and-D prospect.

Too early to tell which player will be better but I'm happy with Vassell. In a redraft situation, both of them probably jump over a number of players taken before them including Hayes, Jalen Smith, Okoro and maybe Avdija and Toppin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Sacramento has a historically terrible defense, maybe the worst we've ever seen. Halliburton contributes to that.

I think in 30 games this isn't a question. Halliburton looks like a fantastic player in many ways, but Vassell should have grown into his role and more. You already see his offensive threat emerging and he's already impactful on defense after barely more than a handful of games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton would have been my choice if it were up to me, tbh ... and his offensive game has translated even better than I thought it would. Great IQ, great court vision and passer, deep range -- a lot to like about Haliburton on offense.

That said, advanced stats say Haliburton has been a disaster on defense. I haven't watched him enough to confirm he's been bad on D but given his skinny body and lack of strength, that was always a worry with him.

If Haliburton is legitimately a bad defender, then I think the Spurs made the right choice. I wouldn't enjoy a return to the Forbes/Belinelli years, even if Haliburton would have been a major asset on offense.

Vassell would have been my number two choice. So far, advanced stats say his defense has been great. Eye-test says his defense has been very good. He was really good offensively in the preseason and we've seen glimpses that he's more than a 3-and-D prospect.

Too early to tell which player will be better but I'm happy with Vassell. In a redraft situation, both of them probably jump over a number of players taken before them including Hayes, Jalen Smith, Okoro and maybe Avdija and Toppin.
    In the second game of the pair with HOU, the offense was sputtering yet again, and he took a pass on the left perimeter, dribbled just inside the paint, rose up without hesitation, and stuck like a 12 foot jumper. It seemed like an isolated play, but that seemed to snap the team out of it’s funk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really shouldn't reply in this thread because I am unfamiliar with Haliburton and like Vasell, but the only relavent should have drafted threads should involve that waste of space Luka who is as worthless as a spitoon with a hole in it. If I was Keldon i would be dubious of a front office that drafted him before it drafted me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really shouldn't reply in this thread because I am unfamiliar with Haliburton and like Vasell, but the only relavent should have drafted threads should involve that waste of space Luka who is as worthless as a spitoon with a hole in it. If I was Keldon i would be dubious of a front office that drafted him before it drafted me.
    Creating drama where it isn't needed. Glad Keldon is humble and loves his teammates. He's always happy to see Luka.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no problem with Keldon or Luka. I have yet to see anything in Luka than a G-Leaguer. In fact if the G-League had all-stars I doubt he could be one. Yet our FO drafted him in the first ahead of Keldon. I have seen more from Metu which wasn't much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any rookie in Pop hands will not perform well.
    SAS is not the best team for rookie players, Pop is not like Spoelstra or Brad.

Vassell or Haliburton in Pop hands will be the same results

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, there's a thread for that, dummy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no problem with Keldon or Luka. I have yet to see anything in Luka than a G-Leaguer. In fact if the G-League had all-stars I doubt he could be one. Yet our FO drafted him in the first ahead of Keldon. I have seen more from Metu which wasn't much.
    Detroit drafted Darko. What is your point? You're trying to create trouble over nothing. Why should Keldon be pissed off? It's stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like DV tbh. He's been the best defender on the team so far. Shown flashes of improvement already, especially offensively (nice pull up moves the last few games).

No summer, no training camp, shortened training camp....the physical skills are there and has shown good BBIQ so far...I think he's gonna be an above average player in this league tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I love Devin's defense and his BBIQ, so I am happy with the pick so far. I just want him to actually get more court time. I'm already that confident in having him out on the floor as much as possible. He's not phased by much of anything out there, and just plays like he's been here for a while already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Massively stupid statement. Metu was given many chances over two seasons. He always looked either lost, or completely a black hole. Luka played one real game, 31 minutes, scored 16, grabbed 6 boards, and hit 3 out of 5 three pointers. He was always going to be a two year project. Do you randomly pull things out of the oven when you think they should be done, and start eating them?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Massively stupid statement. Metu was given many chances over two seasons. He always looked either lost, or completely a black hole. Luka played one real game, 31 minutes, scored 16, grabbed 6 boards, and hit 3 out of 5 three pointers. He was always going to be a two year project. Do you randomly pull things out of the oven when you think they should be done, and start eating them?
    No. SD pulls them out of his ass and tries to feed them to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has a weird jumpshot and there were tons of reports that his agent was telling teams he didn't want to be drafted by them.

for all we know, the Spurs were one of them. even if they weren't, that's not really a Spurs move.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I truly don't understand how anyone saw a future in the NBA for Metu. He never looked like an NBA player to me.

Forbes didn't either for a while, but I thought he had improved enough to be a 10th man while with the Spurs. Too bad they were starting him. His play with the Bucks has been underwhelming to say the least, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs drafted Haliburton the Spurs FO will be trashed left right and centre in ST. The guy needs the ball in his hand to be effective and with the number of guys on the Spurs handling the ball he will be Forbes 2.0 w/o the 3 pt shooting. Even Lonnie does not gets to touch the ball with DDR back in the side. Anyway it was rumoured that he wanted to be on the Kings and refuse to give several teams his medical, we would not want a Kawhi 2.0 incident few years down the road.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

According to Hollinger’s ratings the Kings have the worst defense in the league by far yet their D is 4.5 points per 100 possessions worse with Halliburton. Of course, just being around that dumpster fire can’t be helpful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has a weird jumpshot and there were tons of reports that his agent was telling teams he didn't want to be drafted by them.

for all we know, the Spurs were one of them. even if they weren't, that's not really a Spurs move.
    I believe the agent mentioned that he didn't want to go to any Team inside the Top 10... Even so, that's sacrificing a lot of money to go to a team like the Kings instead.... I would 100% rather go to the Warriors than Sacramento but... that's on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Hollinger’s ratings the Kings have the worst defense in the league by far yet their D is 4.5 points per 100 possessions worse with Halliburton. Of course, just being around that dumpster fire can’t be helpful.
    Yeah, Sacramento's defense has been really terrible so far this season. Historically bad. It's too early to say how much of that is Haliburton's fault. Early returns aren't good but, then again, Cory Joseph's on/off defensive numbers are similar and he's actually a good defender so we have to wait for the sample size to increase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having watched a couple of Kings games, including the one last night against the Pels, I can safely say that conclusions should not be drawn on Haliburton's defensive woes this season. The Kings are truly, disgustingly bad on defense, all kinds of defense, they can't stay with anyone man-to-man and have little understanding of zones, they miss rotations almost every play and have awful weakside help. Hali, beyond some blocks here and there (he had a pretty spectacular one at the rim last night that's bound to be overshadowed by the loss), hasn't exactly been stellar on D, but he's pretty swift on his feet and has potential as a help defender due to high-IQ reads that help him anticipate passes and play passing lanes. Of course, those gambles for steals coupled with his unimpressive wingspan are bound to be high risk plays, many times leaving his defender wide open with no chance for him to recover on time, so he'll have to learn in time how and when to make those gamble plays.

Overall, the Kings couldn't stop a G-League team if their lives depended on it. Luke Walton is a joke of a coach (or maybe he's just unlucky with the defense...? ). But Haliburton remains one of the only bright spots for the team, next to Fox who is a star in the making (though way overpaid at the max, he'll severely hinder the Kings' ability to build around him taking so much of the cap, and I can pretty easily see him demanding a trade after 2-3 years if things don't take a turn for the better), and Bagley, who had one of his better games last night.

It's always sobering to watch other teams in the league besides the Spurs, tbh. It brings a lot of perspective to watching our games, and the team's progress and struggles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its not popovich its brian wright he tanked the pistons & is doing the same to the spurs........he was a blm/liberal take the spurs had to hire him for astatic reasons

this is really stupid. Is this another derp alt?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton only looks so good because he is surrounded by the dysfunction of the kings tbh...somebody has to look normal out their for them...
    This.

I hate drafting players for fit, but Vassell was the better fit of the two as well. Halliburton is a PG. Same height, but Vassell plays bigger as a wing.

His defense has a chance to be elite too.

Thread Information