Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I love our guy Devin Vassell, who looks to be a high IQ player and contributes to winning basketball, Tyrese Haliburton just seems to have the "IT" factor of confidence and poise that you don't see most rookies possess.

I know we have too many guards but you guys act like he's 6'2" or something... he's still got good size at 6'5" and in a league that's moving towards smallball and positionless basketball, he could easily slide into the 3 spot. If Tyrese is who we "really wanted" (best player available) but Vassell was the better fit, we should have gone with Tyrese. Size is basically a toss up on them.

Plus, Tyrese will probably be even better than Lonnie Walker at end of this season. LW is due for a big contract extension. I'd let LW walk and let Tyrese, who is on a rookie deal, take his spot for the next 3-4 years.

Again, I ask, any Popsuckers gonna do some damage control on this one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, if anything, Klay Thompson shouldn't have injured himself, otherwise, we would've acquired Wiseman and unloaded LMA but them's the breaks.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    its not popovich its brian wright he tanked the pistons & is doing the same to the spurs........he was a blm/liberal take the spurs had to hire him for astatic reasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its not popovich its brian wright he tanked the pistons & is doing the same to the spurs........he was a blm/liberal take the spurs had to hire him for astatic reasons
    Huh. That was a ty take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

stop eating paint chips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way, Devin would be contributing just as much if not more if he was given the same amount of minutes as Halliburton is getting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we need another thread about this?

This year's Brandon Clarke? (Rehashed topic over and over)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way, Devin would be contributing just as much if not more if he was given the same amount of minutes as Halliburton is getting.
    You're already seeing it from Devin. Pop obviously is slow to throw rookies into the fire and he's getting time. The Kings don't work the same way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen Tyrese play but I'm really excited by Devin. Dude may already be the best defender on our team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Haliburton too, but Advanced Stats are absolutely lovin' Vassell so far: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Edit: Sorry, that's just the generic page, I thought it was the rookie page. Click on Rookies under the Years of Experience category to see what I'm referring to.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 01-16-2021 at 08:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I love our guy Devin Vassell, who looks to be a high IQ player and contributes to winning basketball, Tyrese Haliburton just seems to have the "IT" factor of confidence and poise that you don't see most rookies possess.

I know we have too many guards but you guys act like he's 6'2" or something... he's still got good size at 6'5" and in a league that's moving towards smallball and positionless basketball, he could easily slide into the 3 spot. If Tyrese is who we "really wanted" (best player available) but Vassell was the better fit, we should have gone with Tyrese. Size is basically a toss up on them.

Plus, Tyrese will probably be even better than Lonnie Walker at end of this season. LW is due for a big contract extension. I'd let LW walk and let Tyrese, who is on a rookie deal, take his spot for the next 3-4 years.

You can woulda coulda shoulda anything, but I choose to celebrate the player we have and the fact that's he's pretty damn good, for a rook and has a ceiling that makes for more excitement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Haliburton too, but Advanced Stats are absolutely lovin' Vassell so far: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...layer-ratings/
    Once his threes start dropping, there's no looking back. They look really good so far, just haven't fallen. He's close to an instant rotation player already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like the Devin Vassell pick so far also. At worse the guy will be a solid rotation player and he is already that so far....

he has shown to be able to put the ball on the deck a little bit which is a plus. The sad thing though is when White comes back I have a feeling the young man isn’t gonna get many minutes. When he should obviously be taking Patty’s minutes if he doesn’t have his shot going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll go against the grain of the thread so far, and half-agree with OP: I also think we should've drafted Haliburton instead of Vassell, tbh. But I disagree with OP's evaluation of Haliburton as a player.

First of all, he doesn't have nearly enough length nor strength to be able to play the 3 like Vassell (or Lonnie) does. He's a combo guard at best. I'd have loved him on the Spurs due to his passing prowess (already on display for the Kings), his IQ on both sides of the ball (also on display given his impressive steals and plays, if y'all have watched the Kings this season, y'all know what I'm talking about), and his overall hustle and grit as a player. The only thing I wasn't - and am not - sold on, is his shooting, because I don't think his shooting motion is sustainable at the NBA level, and I don't trust prospects whose shooting form has to be reworked post-drafting. It can work out, I guess, but most times it fails miserably, and that's with small tweaks being made. Hali has an overall fugly form that should be worked from the ground up, tbh.

Having said that, he's playing excellently so far, and already one of the Kings' best players (not much of a high bar, I know). I just can't resist the high ceiling/low floor draftees, instead of the opposite spectrum which Vassell represents, in general, and especially for where the Spurs are right now; they should've been swinging for the fences instead of settling for the "safe" pick in Devin (and I know many posters here see more "potential" to Vassell than a 3-D prospect, I'm just not buying it yet).

As Dejounte says, though, definitely not something that should be beaten to death like the Luka/Clarke debacle, tbh. Vassell is playing good basketball right now and I'm grateful for it. Just hope that, should we end up in the lottery again this season, we don't go for the high floor-low ceiling prospect, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He is 185lb and that looks to be his playing weight.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buy or sell - at the end of this year, Tyrese will be a better player than Lonnie Walker?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buy or sell - at the end of this year, Tyrese will be a better player than Lonnie Walker?
    Why does that matter?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does that matter?
    Because the "too many guards" argument goes out the window. 1 guard out, 1 guard in.

Cheaper. We can sign a big. Lots of things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different players in different situations where one will have more freedom to showcase their potential and the other will have to play more restrained compared to what their current skills might be.

Sell. Hard. Haliburton is lonzo with a bit more polish down the line best case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This premise doesn't make any sense - the "buy or sell" is wrongly used here, to my understanding of the phrase. What am I supposed to "buy"? Lol. But anyways.

By the end of the season, Lonnie will be (as he's always been) the player with the higher ceiling between the two. Though he's lacking in BBIQ for now, he's still the much, much more athletic prospect, has better length, speed that can consistently break down a defense, has the MUCH better shooting motion which is practically a must in today's NBA, and has the better defensive potential due to his physical prowess. Haliburton has (and probably will always have) the better IQ and passing ability, and maaaybe the better help defense, but that's about the extent of where he trumps Lonnie.

Overall, typical case of high floor/low ceiling prospect and vice versa. If all three were available in a single draft, though, I'd probably take Lonnie -> Hali -> Vassell, if that helps to answer your question somewhat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol.........I won’t even partake in this foolishness! Please bump this in a year and a half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen Haliburton, but Vassell is an elite defensive player. Haliburton will have to be a very special player to be more impactful than Vassell.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, if anything, Klay Thompson shouldn't have injured himself, otherwise, we would've acquired Wiseman and unloaded LMA but them's the breaks.
    Astatic?

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton only looks so good because he is surrounded by the dysfunction of the kings tbh...somebody has to look normal out their for them...

Thread Information