Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is rediculous Keldon has to guard the opposing team’s best player almost regardless of position. He should be feasting on guys that play the 2/3 on both ends of the court not expending his energy on bigs.
    Is it more exhausting though? Rather than chasing guys off-ball, he's using the strength in his chest to be a wall against bigs. Seems chasing guys would tire your legs more and affect you more overall than stopping a big with your strength. Just my thoughts though, I don't know for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it more exhausting though? Rather than chasing guys off-ball, he's using the strength in his chest to be a wall against bigs. Seems chasing guys would tire your legs more and affect you more overall than stopping a big with your strength. Just my thoughts though, I don't know for sure.
    Good point. Probably both tiring in different ways though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that’s why I’m not hard on KJ when his shot isn’t falling because we all know he’s busting his ass on defense and if your legs go, so does your shot. It’s also why I want Vassell to start and Lonnie to come off the bench but that’s just me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird how playing the guys that are doing well that game during the 4th qtr led to a victory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sugus: Some good points although going to Lonnie isn't the full answer. When the vets show they aren't playing well take them all out and mix and match the youngsters. We're gonna lose some games anyway, so show different looks with the rest of the bunch and try to run at every opportunity. Might win some games by running teams into the ground by the 4th quarter. Not many teams can run for 48 minutes and the more superstar vets with some miles on them are in the game, the more their legs start to go. You have to get someone like LeBron out of the game for as many minutes of rest as possible.

We ought to be the best conditioned team in the NBA and play like it.

Returning to the movement and passing offense of 2015 would also help these young Spurs wear out the opponent.
    Last edited by wildbill2u; 01-17-2021 at 02:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those second units with Patty and Gay are just cringe worthy. They are so ball dominate and seem to force everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to find a way to get Devin more PT, he needs more reps. He just has a knack for the ball, it seems that all the loose balls go his way. You can tell he knows he can make an impact on both sides of the court, has a very quiet confidence about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to find a way to get Devin more PT, he needs more reps. He just has a knack for the ball, it seems that all the loose balls go his way. You can tell he knows he can make an impact on both sides of the court, has a very quiet confidence about him.
    Won’t happen this year unless we see more injuries. Hopefully we move on from DDR and Mills this offseason and he becomes the full time backup 2/3. At some point we need to rebalance this roster and exchange a guard or two for a perimeter 3/4 and a big. Not holding my breath given PATFO’s recent ineptness in doing anything but scout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you ever played basketball? Guarding in the post is a wrestling match, that is tiring as

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you ever played basketball? Guarding in the post is a wrestling match, that is tiring as
    Yes, I play and running around is tiring as too, especially full court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said: tiring in different ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    guarding a big is at least tiring the same way, especially when you undersized. You gotta take into account that fighting for position is the most important thing when guarding a big man, besides having to do the same when you are fighting for rebounds

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes it’s a lot more exhausting. If he was guarding AI he would probably switch on most the screens. And if he kept getting beat by Curry it would mostly be on the embarrassing/psychological side of getting beat up. Getting beat up in the paint and expecting to shoot some threes on the other end sounds tough too. . I like his drives to the paint but he needs to refine his perimeter skills for efficiency and longevity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For comparisons' sake:

In game 1 vs the Rockets, LaMarcus matched up against Wood for a total of 7 minutes and 27 seconds. Wood was able to shoot 10 times, and made six of them for a total of 17 points.

In game 2 vs the Rockets, Keldon matched up against Wood for a total of 6 minutes and 34 seconds. Wood was able to shoot five times, and made only one of them for a total of 6 points (4 points were from free throws).

https://www.nba.com/game/hou-vs-sas-...core#box-score

https://www.nba.com/game/hou-vs-sas-...core#box-score
    It's too bad that the Spurs will probably end up with a record bad enough to overlook him, but Keldon should be getting some serious second team all-defense consideration. He can seriously guard 1-5 and hold his ground against most matchups, incredible versatility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sugus: Some good points although going to Lonnie isn't the full answer. When the vets show they aren't playing well take them all out and mix and match the youngsters. We're gonna lose some games anyway, so show different looks with the rest of the bunch and try to run at every opportunity. Might win some games by running teams into the ground by the 4th quarter. Not many teams can run for 48 minutes and the more superstar vets with some miles on them are in the game, the more their legs start to go. You have to get someone like LeBron out of the game for as many minutes of rest as possible.

We ought to be the best conditioned team in the NBA and play like it.

Returning to the movement and passing offense of 2015 would also help these young Spurs wear out the opponent.
    Agreed, and I hoped Pop would be on his "mad scientist" ways in regards to rotations this season, but he's disappointed me thus far. The vets play too much most games, and it's especially damaging when they clearly haven't brought it that night, but still are kept on the floor. I would love for the Spurs to play like you describe, but they've been underwhelming in terms of "running opponents out the gym", outside of the last Rockettes game when their rotation clearly wasn't up to par. At this point, another aspect preventing the Spurs to effectively play even more up-tempo is that they aren't very good at finishing plays in transition offense, often looking clueless or fumbling things up, so the increased pace and defensive stops here and there aren't always capitalized on.

Lastly, I don't think we have the personnel for the '14-15 kind of passing or motion offense. People really underrate how hard that kind of team game is to pull off, both needing multiple high IQ and pass first players, and also great coaching and offensive/defensive schemes that utilize the skillset of the players involved. I don't see DJ, Rudy, nor LMA, and to a lesser extent Lonnie, Keldon, being able to play and pass like that effectively. Who knows, maybe after Pop steps down, our next coach will try some of that... Crossing my fingers, but I don't see it (though I'd love it). The first thing we'd need to do to get on that track, would be sign or draft a high quality passing big to play in the high post, someone like Vucevic would be incredibly but obviously unrealistic to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, and I hoped Pop would be on his "mad scientist" ways in regards to rotations this season, but he's disappointed me thus far. The vets play too much most games, and it's especially damaging when they clearly haven't brought it that night, but still are kept on the floor. I would love for the Spurs to play like you describe, but they've been underwhelming in terms of "running opponents out the gym", outside of the last Rockettes game when their rotation clearly wasn't up to par. At this point, another aspect preventing the Spurs to effectively play even more up-tempo is that they aren't very good at finishing plays in transition offense, often looking clueless or fumbling things up, so the increased pace and defensive stops here and there aren't always capitalized on.

Lastly, I don't think we have the personnel for the '14-15 kind of passing or motion offense. People really underrate how hard that kind of team game is to pull off, both needing multiple high IQ and pass first players, and also great coaching and offensive/defensive schemes that utilize the skillset of the players involved. I don't see DJ, Rudy, nor LMA, and to a lesser extent Lonnie, Keldon, being able to play and pass like that effectively. Who knows, maybe after Pop steps down, our next coach will try some of that... Crossing my fingers, but I don't see it (though I'd love it). The first thing we'd need to do to get on that track, would be sign or draft a high quality passing big to play in the high post, someone like Vucevic would be incredibly but obviously unrealistic to get.
    The 14 style beautiful game basketball that people latch onto (game 5 really) is largely unsustainable over the course of 48 minutes, and absolutely unsustainable over the course of a typical season. So much running, passing, cutting, moving, that requires so much focus and execution it would be impossible to do at a high level over the course of a season.

That being said- games like the Twolves loss where we stand around and look bewildered at a 3-2 zone and do nothing to probe the defense but pass the ball around the perimeter and dribble make me want to throw my phone out of the window.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Where all our common fans at?

But no, go ahead, ignore what players have to actually say...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Most of this board is dumb casuals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge seems a bit disinterested (maybe its an injury or not in shape) but looks like he is waiting for the season to end so he can go back to Portland. We may not get much for him at this point (I'm thinking maybe 2 2nd round picks for a former all star) but a least his salary comes off the books and maybe do something with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Those second units with Patty and Gay are just cringe worthy. They are so ball dominate and seem to force everything.

you ain’t never lied those two be gunning like crazy. When they are hitting shots it’s tolerable but when they are off it is so damn ugly.

you can literally tell when Rudy has made up in his mind that he is going to shoot while watching the game. Lmao. If I can tell then I know the defense can also.

Sometimes though you need guys like that, especially with the young players rolling with them but they’ve gotten too shot happy so far this season. Maybe once they get more confidence in the other bench guys they will slow down a bit... hopefully
    Last edited by D-Robinson 50 fan; 01-18-2021 at 12:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I remember after Kawhi won with Toronto one of the few good things he said about the Spurs and Pop was they helped him not skip steps in his process to becoming the player he is today. He had some of his most efficient seasons with the Spurs and even DeRozan is having some of his most efficient seasons with the Spurs.

the coaching staff outside of Pop sometimes being slow to trust young players know what they are doing and understand the impact a veteran can have in assisting the young players.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge seems a bit disinterested (maybe its an injury or not in shape) but looks like he is waiting for the season to end so he can go back to Portland. We may not get much for him at this point (I'm thinking maybe 2 2nd round picks for a former all star) but a least his salary comes off the books and maybe do something with that.
    I think he's out of shape considering he always seems to start seasons a little out of shape, and he's probably especially out of shape after not playing a game for 9 months. I think you hold onto him until he shows he's got value to a contender. You won't get anything for him while he's out of shape so why trade him now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 14 style beautiful game basketball that people latch onto (game 5 really) is largely unsustainable over the course of 48 minutes, and absolutely unsustainable over the course of a typical season. So much running, passing, cutting, moving, that requires so much focus and execution it would be impossible to do at a high level over the course of a season.

That being said- games like the Twolves loss where we stand around and look bewildered at a 3-2 zone and do nothing to probe the defense but pass the ball around the perimeter and dribble make me want to throw my phone out of the window.
    Agreed on both counts. People have way too high of an expectation for the team in terms of playstyle. Having said that, I'd love for the team to incorporate some actual structure, set plays, because those are the ones you pull out when the defense has adjusted to your drive-n-kick and your shots aren't dropping well enough to defeat the zone. Having a high post facilitator that can dish out to cutting players is something I've been wanting to see on the Spurs for a few years now, we really need that kind of passing big to unlock the athletic youngings' potential.

BRB, looking at next years' draft prospects...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's the GameThread for the game in 45 mins? I would make it but I'm still pinked

Thread Information