Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the White House declined to pursue a unified national strategy,

governors faced off against lobbyists, health experts and a restless public consumed by misinformation.

The path to beating the coronavirus was clear, but Kelley Vollmar had never felt so helpless.

Vollmar knew a mandate requiring people to wear masks could help save lives.

She pressed the governor’s office to issue a statewide order, and hospital leaders were making a similar push.

Even the White House, at a time when President Trump was sometimes mocking people who wore masks,

was privately urging the Republican governor to impose a mandate.

Ms. Vollmar found herself under attack.

A member of the county health board called her a liar.

The sheriff announced that he would not enforce a local mandate.

After anti-mask activists posted her address online, Ms. Vollmar installed a security system at her home.

For nearly the entire pandemic,

political polarization and a rejection of science

have stymied the United States’ ability to control the coronavirus.

governors and local officials
    who were left in charge of the crisis squandered the little momentum the country had as

they sidelined health experts,

ignored warnings from their own advisers and, in some cases,

stocked their advisory committees with more business representatives than doctors.

a lack of federal coordination in distributing doses has emerged as a troubling roadblock.

Trump administration largely delegated responsibility for controlling the virus and reopening the economy to 50 governors, fracturing the nation’s response.

a fuller picture of all that went wrong:

• The severity of the current outbreak can be traced to the rush to reopen last spring. Many governors moved quickly, sometimes acting over the objections of their advisers. The reopenings nationally led to a surge of new infections that grew over time: Never again would the country’s average drop below 20,000 new cases a day.
    • Science was sidelined at every level of government. More than 100 state and local health officials have been fired or have resigned since the beginning of the pandemic. In Florida, leading scientists offered their expertise to the governor’s office but were marginalized, while Gov. Ron DeSantis turned to Dr. Scott W. Atlas, a Trump adviser, and others whose views were embraced in conservative circles but rejected by scores of scientists.
    • While the president publicly downplayed the need for masks, White House officials were privately recommending that certain states with worsening outbreaks require face coverings in public spaces. But records show that at least 26 states ignored recommendations from the White House on masks and other health issues.

In South Dakota, Gov. Kristi Noem, boasted to political allies about not requiring masks even as her state was in the midst of an outbreak that became one of the worst in the nation.

Mr. Trump had left them without the political support they needed as they urged the public to accept masks and social distancing.

“The single biggest thing that would have made a difference was the clarity of message from the person at the top,”

Without a national strategy from the White House, it is unlikely that any state could have fully stopped the pandemic’s spread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/u...aths-2020.html

ing mortally stupid Confederate / red state politics by ignorant, sociopathic FreeDumb advocates

When USA was in dire need of Presidential guidance and leadership, all y'all mofo rednecks had elected mofo Trash.

400K dead, y'all happy? yep, 74M of you mofos voted Lord Voldemort again.

( btw, vol de mort In French is literally "flight of death" )

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    New thread boner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Called it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Called what? Covid not regularly dangerous to anyone under 50. Ift less than flu.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Called what? Covid not regularly dangerous to anyone under 50. Ift less than flu.
    Not dangerous vaxbois

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ gossip

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not dangerous vaxbois
    Pcr fail

My Team