Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t need him but I do wish the spurs would take chances on high ceiling guys
    Part of a player’s ceiling is “will he be in the league in 5 years”. KPJ had these red flags during the draft process, and they’re now manifesting. Talent wise, he was probably top 10 in his class, but he dropped nearly out of the first round because of those red flags.

Oh, and no more players with murdered fathers. He probably has a ty, manipulative uncle waiting in the wings, too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't touch him... We don't need to introduce a locker room problem to a young team that seems to have a good professional vibe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly sounds like he has whatever Brandon Marshall has. If a team can get his head right, they might basically get a mid-first for free. Would say SA can't be that team, but they're getting closer to where they could afford a pro-rated min, and they seemingly need a guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly sounds like he has whatever Brandon Marshall has. If a team can get his head right, they might basically get a mid-first for free. Would say SA can't be that team, but they're getting closer to where they could afford a pro-rated min, and they seemingly need a guard.
    . In what universe do the Spurs need a guard?

KPJ brings nothing positive to the table that we don’t already have covered by our young guys. Only bad things could happen by acquiring him. He exploded over having his locker location changed. How do you imagine him reacting to Pop sitting him for a few games?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porter Jr might figure things out someday, but it's clear that he hasn't done so yet. Pop won't touch this guy unless there's no doubt he has gotten over himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn't get enough of an opportunity here (besides the other reasons already mentioned.) Too many mouths to feed right now at that position. I'd rather have a fringe role player like David Nwaba who could thrive with us if someone got hurt or the opportunity presented itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . In what universe do the Spurs need a guard?
    The one where they have two out and another with a hand problem. The only healthy guard who's not in the rotation is Jones, and he's not going to replace any of the wings if they lose another.

KPJ brings nothing positive to the table that we don’t already have covered by our young guys. Only bad things could happen by acquiring him. He exploded over having his locker location changed. How do you imagine him reacting to Pop sitting him for a few games?
    Do you know what happened with Marshall? He did the same things until he was diagnosed and got treatment. Mental illness is a real thing that can be treated. I'm not saying that he's some great prospect, nor is he a productive borderline star like Marshall was. But he's talented, and if the team is going to look at signing another guard for the 15th spot anyway, then he could be that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he just doesn't like his touched without his permission. Some people are OCD that way.

But with all the legal problems, I want no part of him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get over yourself then give us a call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear Jimmer Fredette is still available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he just doesn't like his touched without his permission. Some people are OCD that way.

But with all the legal problems, I want no part of him
    We all can be particular about things sometimes, but I wouldn't throw away a chance at a multi million dollar career because someone touched my stuff.

There is a difference between OCD and just stupidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So to be clear, I don't really care about Porter. I didn't look for the Spurs to draft him, and I'd rather the team find a PF than a guard for that last spot. I think a lot of people are looking at the current rotation and not seeing the pipeline for what it is. The 2021-2022 rotation looks like:

Murray, Jones
    Walker (expiring), White
    Johnson, Vassell
    Samanic
    Poeltl, Eubanks

(Weatherspoon and KBD as RFAs)

So there's certainly room for another guard, if not two. Many of us want the team to find a long-term solution at PF and potentially play Johnson at the three. But there's no guarantee that they'll do that next off-season or even that they WANT to do that. If Keldon plays the four so White or Vassell starts, then you end up straight-up needing a bench wing. They might draft one, but then Jones might not be an NBA player. And maybe Walker doesn't come back because PATFO decides they don't want to pay him. We're talking about a spot which currently isn't getting used and may end up not being used. Securing some long-term depth is a worthy goal, even at the two.

Is Porter that guy? Strictly on the court, he could be. He basically performed at the same level last year as Lonnie did. Neither had a great overall season, but they both flashed plenty of potential. The main differences in their seasons is that Porter got more MPG but fewer games. In terms of their abilities, Porter isn't the shooter Walker is. You can tell in their forms where Kevin's release looks lower, slower and more bersome. But Porter didn't struggle with confidence issues like Walker has. He attacked more often and sought contact ala Johnson. He wasn't completely inept defensively either, averaging the same combined blocks and steals per minute as Walker did last year. Add in that KPJ is actually bigger than LW due to the latter's long neck, and it's not an obvious no that Porter could help the Spurs.

Obviously I really like Walker. He's probably the young player I'm riding with most right now. But the Spurs may well have to look to replace him, maybe even this very season if a trade shows up that they like. Getting Porter for free would be kind of amazing, since it could make replacing Lonnie less of an off-season priority. But you really only get guys for cheap by taking fliers on them when they have things wrong with them. As far as I know, the legal issues aren't what people are saying they are. If he's just an ass hole, then it makes sense to write him off. But he wouldn't be the first basketball player to struggle with a legit mental problem, and folks acting like he just needs to "man up" or "get over himself" are kind of jumping the gun. Yes, ultimately, even if he has some illness, he'd have to be willing and able to take the steps to fix it. But as like a 20-year-old, he may not yet have the perspective to realize what's happening to him psychologically. Marshall was significantly older when he figured it out. Dude got into his own legal problems and even tore his arm up punching a TV before even got the help he needed. Hopefully the Spurs do their homework, whether they decide to buy or not. Part of rebuilding is stepping out of your comfort zone to try new things. So they should be open-minded when it comes to talent.

And FFS, they wanted Josh Howard for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obligatory highlights vids, btb:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So to be clear, I don't really care about Porter. I didn't look for the Spurs to draft him, and I'd rather the team find a PF than a guard for that last spot. I think a lot of people are looking at the current rotation and not seeing the pipeline for what it is. The 2021-2022 rotation looks like:

Murray, Jones
    Walker (expiring), White
    Johnson, Vassell
    Samanic
    Poeltl, Eubanks

So there's certainly room for another guard, if not two. Many of us want the team to find a long-term solution at PF and potentially play Johnson at the three. But there's no guarantee that they'll do that next off-season or even that they WANT to do that. If Keldon plays the four so White or Vassell starts, then you end up straight-up needing a bench wing. They might draft one, but then Jones might not be an NBA player. And maybe Walker doesn't come back because PATFO decides they don't want to pay him. We're talking about a spot which currently isn't getting used and may end up not being used. Securing some long-term depth is a worthy goal, even at the two.

Is Porter that guy? Strictly on the court, he could be. He basically performed at the same level last year as Lonnie did. Neither had a great overall season, but they both flashed plenty of potential. The main differences in their seasons is that Porter got more MPG but fewer games. In terms of their abilities, Porter isn't the shooter Walker is. You can tell in their forms where Kevin's release looks lower, slower and more bersome. But Porter didn't struggle with confidence issues like Walker has. He attacked more often and sought contact ala Johnson. He wasn't completely inept defensively either, averaging the same combined blocks and steals per minute as Walker did last year. Add in that KPJ is actually bigger than LW due to the latter's long neck, and it's not an obvious no that Porter could help the Spurs.

Obviously I really like Walker. He's probably the young player I'm riding with most right now. But the Spurs may well have to look to replace him, maybe even this very season if a trade shows up that they like. Getting Porter for free would be kind of amazing, since it could make replacing Lonnie less of an off-season priority. But you really only get guys for cheap by taking fliers on them when they have things wrong with them. As far as I know, the legal issues aren't what people are saying they are. If he's just an ass hole, then it makes sense to write him off. But he wouldn't be the first basketball player to struggle with a legit mental problem, and folks acting like he just needs to "man up" or "get over himself" are kind of jumping the gun. Yes, ultimately, even if he has some illness, he'd have to be willing and able to take the steps to fix it. But as like a 20-year-old, he may not yet have the perspective to realize what's happening to him psychologically. Marshall was significantly older when he figured it out. Dude got into his own legal problems and even tore his arm up punching a TV before even got the help he needed. Hopefully the Spurs do their homework, whether they decide to buy or not. Part of rebuilding is stepping out of your comfort zone to try new things. So they should be open-minded when it comes to talent.

And FFS, they wanted Josh Howard for years.
    We have the full 15 players signed to NBA contracts, plus our maximum 2 two way contracts. Who do you propose cutting from an NBA contract? He’s not signing a two way, not after being a first rounder like 18 months ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have the full 15 players signed to NBA contracts, plus our maximum 2 two way contracts. Who do you propose cutting from an NBA contract? He’s not signing a two way, not after being a first rounder like 18 months ago.
    Um, the Spurs should be at 14 plus the two-ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, the Spurs should be at 14 plus the two-ways.
    You are correct. I was thinking back to training camp, when they kept 16 right up to the bitter end. They then cut Zeller AND Metu in quick succession.

Still don’t want KPJ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one where they have two out and another with a hand problem. The only healthy guard who's not in the rotation is Jones, and he's not going to replace any of the wings if they lose another.
    You don't base long term needs on relatively short term injuries.

Murray, Jones
    Walker (expiring), White
    Johnson, Vassell
    Samanic
    Poeltl, Eubanks

This is how the '21-'22 rotation looks . . .

?, ?
    Johnson/Vassell
    Poeltl/?
    White/Walker
    Murray/?

Think Lyles has a good chance to be re-signed and compete with Samanic for backup "PF".

Mills could easily be re-signed too, which would obviously fill backup PG.

The types of guard(s) you're describing the need for are depth/fringe ones, like Jones and Weatherspoon.

Porter Jr. theoretically makes sense if Walker is not going to be extended, in which case it makes sense to trade him. Let's face it though: They're not tocuhing him with a ten foot pole and they don't need to with four young, rotational wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't base long term needs on relatively short term injuries.
    White's not really a short-term thing given his history, and Weatherspoon is a free agent. The team could definitely use some depth right now and could probably justify carrying that depth the whole year given how many guard they play.

This is how the '21-'22 rotation looks . . .
    Basically the same except you put ???? instead of guys who are still under contract.

I don't disagree that some guys will get re-signed. But that's not a guarantee. If Johnson is just going to be a PF from now on, then the guard they'd need would be the eighth- or ninth-man. At this point, we should accept that PATFO wants the roster they have for the most part. They might well think that this small-ball will be a thing for years.

Let's face it though: They're not tocuhing him with a ten foot pole and they don't need to with four young, rotational wings.
    You never NEED to take fliers on guys. Doing so works best when you have the freedom to cut or bench a guy who's not working out but also have gaps for them to get minutes every once in a while. At this point, we don't know who will be long-term players for the team and who might be traded in the interest of getting those pieces. It would be nice for the Spurs to be able to make a trade for a young building piece using one or more of their guards while still having enough prospects there to be good long term. The Spurs should not look at Murray, White, Walker, Johnson and Vassell and think they're going to have that group for years and years on second and even third contracts. That's bad resource management.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't need anyone who believes he's a modern day slave.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White's not really a short-term thing given his history, and Weatherspoon is a free agent. The team could definitely use some depth right now and could probably justify carrying that depth the whole year given how many guard they play.

Basically the same except you put ???? instead of guys who are still under contract.

I don't disagree that some guys will get re-signed. But that's not a guarantee. If Johnson is just going to be a PF from now on, then the guard they'd need would be the eighth- or ninth-man. At this point, we should accept that PATFO wants the roster they have for the most part. They might well think that this small-ball will be a thing for years.

You never NEED to take fliers on guys. Doing so works best when you have the freedom to cut or bench a guy who's not working out but also have gaps for them to get minutes every once in a while. At this point, we don't know who will be long-term players for the team and who might be traded in the interest of getting those pieces. It would be nice for the Spurs to be able to make a trade for a young building piece using one or more of their guards while still having enough prospects there to be good long term. The Spurs should not look at Murray, White, Walker, Johnson and Vassell and think they're going to have that group for years and years on second and even third contracts. That's bad resource management.
    I know, but I mean no ruptured/torn Achilles or ACL/MCL, etc. Weatherspoon is irrelevant. That spot could be plenty of random guards, including him (Thomas?). Sure, a 10 day type wouldn't hurt, but in the grand scheme they don't need one.

Right because Samanic, for example isn't going to be the starting four just because he's the only one currently under contract.

Johnson isn't going to be the nominal four unless they inexplicably re-sign DeRozan. The current rotation is moreso a product of, within' reason, getting the best talent on the floor. This wasn't some grand plan years in the making.

I'm saying, a few years ago Porter Jr. could have made a lot more sense. Agreed with the rest, but if one (probably comes down to Johnson) can emerge as go-to type, they can and probably will try to get by with them long term, with the possible exception of Walker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nyet, Nunca, non....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was 6-9 or taller then you might have a point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know, but I mean no ruptured/torn Achilles or ACL/MCL, etc. Weatherspoon is irrelevant. That spot could be plenty of random guards, including him (Thomas?). Sure, a 10 day type wouldn't hurt, but in the grand scheme they don't need one.
    They may need one. Right now, they literally can get by with the healthy guards on the team, but if they had another wing prospects, that player may well be getting minutes. Walker, for example, might've sat out a game or two with his hand had the rest of the rotation been healthy.

Right because Samanic, for example isn't going to be the starting four just because he's the only one currently under contract.
    And that's fine. I'm just saying that we aren't disagreeing on that.

Johnson isn't going to be the nominal four unless they inexplicably re-sign DeRozan. The current rotation is moreso a product of, within' reason, getting the best talent on the floor. This wasn't some grand plan years in the making.
    Eh, I think this was intentional after the bubble performance. I agree that if Lyles were better or the team had a good PF, they might be playing bigger. But I also think Pop likes playing small and looking at this shapeless offense. There's no guarantee that he won't try to do it next year or at least be willing to do it if the right PF doesn't find his way to the roster. For all we know, they draft another small next year and can't get any legit four in free agency. We've already seen that Lyles-level players aren't enough to get Pop to play bigger.

I'm saying, a few years ago Porter Jr. could have made a lot more sense. Agreed with the rest, but if one (probably comes down to Johnson) can emerge as go-to type, they can and probably will try to get by with them long term, with the possible exception of Walker.
    Yes, KPJ would've made more sense before Vassell was drafted. But maybe that could actually help the team take a chance on him. They don't need him and may never need him, so they aren't really risking anything by taking him. If he makes an issue, just cut him without having to worry about his spot in the rotation. But it's not like there's no way he can't just be better than any of the guys on the roster anyway. He has similar potential to Walker, which means he could be the first option over Murray, White, Vassell or even Johnson if things work out. In the very least, he looks to have the potential to be a sixth man. The Spurs used to have crazy depth to where their third string could win games. You get that by not being afraid to have redundancy at positions and locking into talent to cheap long-term deals. Eubanks may or may not be an example of that depending on if he can still develop. But Porter definitely could be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I think this was intentional after the bubble performance. I agree that if Lyles were better or the team had a good PF, they might be playing bigger. But I also think Pop likes playing small and looking at this shapeless offense. There's no guarantee that he won't try to do it next year or at least be willing to do it if the right PF doesn't find his way to the roster. For all we know, they draft another small next year and can't get any legit four in free agency. We've already seen that Lyles-level players aren't enough to get Pop to play bigger.
    Sure it was intentional . . . given the current roster construct. But that's different than being a long term plan. I suspect the only way it is, is as I said: They inexplicably re-sign DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure it was intentional . . . given the current roster construct. But that's different than being a long term plan. I suspect the only way it is, is as I said: They inexplicably re-sign DeRozan.
    I think it'll depend on Johnson more than DeRozan. Even if DMDR leaves, White will be there to take his place. I hope you're right, but I think it's something they're willing to do, especially if they make the playoffs that way this year.

Thread Information