Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Similar idea to the "Best teams to never win a Super Bowl" list, but that's already been discussed inside and out. What are some of the most talented teams on paper that y'all have seen that just didn't pan out that year for whatever reason? Not talking about teams like the 06 Chargers or 11 Packers who were great but choked in the playoffs. I'm talking about teams that looked like they were Super Bowl contenders during the preseason, but underachieved during the actual season.

A few off the top of my head:

2011 Eagles - Probably the most obvious one. Everyone by now knows about the "dream team" who added a bunch of high-profile free agents to the explosive 2010 team. Not really sure why exactly this one fell apart, I just remember them promoting the Offensive Line coach to Defensive Coordinator for w/e reason. That, and presumably a lot of the big name FAs didn't really fit the scheme. They did get somewhat hot toward the end of the year but barely missed the playoffs

2008 Cowboys - Coming off a 13-3 season and actually improved significantly on paper. Had a very good draft where pretty much all of their picks went on to be productive members of the team. On top of that, they signed Pacman Jones, Zach Thomas, Tank Johnson, and traded picks for Roy Williams during the middle of the season. Extremely talented team on paper. They probably get into the playoffs if not for Romo missing three games and beating the 2-14 Rams but still...this season was pretty much all on The Bot. Failure to get Roy Williams involved in the offense and the inability to adjust after the league figured out his offense by bracketing Terrell Owens. This was also the season that TO would eventually cause the usual locker room problems toward the end. They had a tough schedule and the Giants/Eagles were both really good, but zero excuse for this team to not atleast get a Wild Card spot.

2005 Chargers - I honestly think this may have been the best team I've ever seen to not actually make the playoffs. This 9-7 season was sandwiched between a 12-4 and 14-2 season. Prime LT/Brees/Gates, Merriman wins DPOY. They had a 28-point win at Foxborough, shredded the Giants who won the NFCE that season, and beat the 13-0 Colts at Indy. Main problem was that they had a horrific schedule (I think second toughest in the league). Also, Gates was suspended in a close season-opening loss against Dallas that probably would have gone the other way if he had played.

2019 Cowboys ​- Obviously, I'm a bit biased with these Dallas picks. Very similar to 2008, however one main difference was that the 2008 NFCE was very tough whereas last season's division was straight garbage. The Redskins and Giants were fighting for the #1 pick, and the Eagles were decimated with injuries. Still, a healthy and talented (on paper) Dallas team struggled to beat quality teams then sh!t the bed @ Philadelphia in Week 16 in a game that was basically for the division. The Bot was rightfully canned afterwards. Completely inexcusable to not win the division

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    The Niners back in 2014/15 still had an extremely stacked roster that got derailed thanks to Kraep. If they had an average QB they go to the SB that year.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    The Carson Palmer/Ochocinco/TJ Houzyamama Bengals teams that always had a ton of talent and did jack squat, mainly due to Marvin Lewis.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    The Carson Palmer/Ochocinco/TJ Houzyamama Bengals teams that always had a ton of talent and did jack squat, mainly due to Marvin Lewis.
    Yep, I can't believe that group only made the playoffs in 2005 and were all but finished just a few years later. The 2009 Bengals made the playoffs more because of their defense

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    I don't know about teams, but Vick is the biggest waste of individual talent. He was half a brain away from being the undisputed GOAT.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    I don't know about teams, but Vick is the biggest waste of individual talent. He was half a brain away from being the undisputed GOAT.
    He should have just been used as a "gimmick RB" kinda like how Jackson is now tbh. Of course the league wasn't as innovative 15 years ago, but he would've atleast made it to the SuperBowl just to get shutdown by the Patriots. Problem is that he tried to appease whitey by trying to prove himself as a pure pocket passing quarterback. No way he ever sniffs the GOAT discussion though tbh imho

I remember Roy Williams entire tenure as a cowboy just being god awful.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    2000 Redskins

The previous season the team went 10-6 and even won their Wild Card game. First season for new owner Daniel Snyder. Heading into the following season the team made a big splash in free agency.

Signing Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, Jeff George and Adrian Murrell.

Additionally the team drafted future Pro Bowlers Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels with the second and third overall picks. This after packaging some picks from the Saints-Ricky trade to select Champ Bailey in 1999.

Additions to a roster already possessing Stephen Davis, Larry Centers, Brad Johnson, Michael Westbrook, Irving Fryer, Dana Stubblefield, Darrell Green and Dan Wilkinson

So what happened? Team started 6-2 but fell apart down the stretch finishing the season with an 8-8 mark. They lost 6 games by a TD or less.

My Team
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Post Count
    Talent is just as much mental as it is physical. That's why the greatest players of all time dominate at a cerebral level.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    95 Vikings and 09 Vikings are better than the teams on that list, tbh.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    95 Vikings and 09 Vikings are better than the teams on that list, tbh.
    Well tbh, I had in mind teams that came into the season with high expectations but underachieved during the regular season. I wouldn't say the 09 Vikings qualify. They were damm good ( I remember them dismantling Dallas in the playoffs), but still went 12-4 and lost a close game to another great team in the NFCCG. Therefore, they pretty much met expectations.

I'm not familiar with the 95 Vikings though, since I only started watching football around 00. How good was that team in your opinion?

2005 Eagles and 2007 Ravens come to mind as well. Both teams came into their respective seasons as Super Bowl contenders, but injuries and locker room meltdowns completely derailed both teams

Post Count
    95 vikings were 8-8 not 15-1

too bad they didnt have james naismith to help them get over the hump

Post Count
    deleting posts after being exposed for being a re

EDIT: derp deleting another post

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    98. Blue Santa gs responding with his bitter ass alt.

Too bad your mom would be a nasty ass hump.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count

Don't be flattered. You're unimportant.

Post Count
    Don't be flattered. You're unimportant.
    but apparently important enough for you to repeatedly delete posts to figure out another way to respond to me, only to still be equally stupid

weirdo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Maurice Clarett

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    2005 Colts were unquestionably the best team in the NFL that year and they flamed out against the Steelers. The field was so weak that year

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Arizona will be the next team to make this list

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Arizona will be the next team to make this list
    or the niners if they dont convert in the near future

Believe.
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Just like a Cowboys fan to overrate his teams. “Looked better on paper.”

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Just like a Cowboys fan to overrate his teams. “Looked better on paper.”
    i think the thread is pretty straightforward......if that still doesn't make sense to you, then it might be time for you to consider suicide as a viable option imo

Thread Information