My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    President Donald Trump was right to take a "tougher approach" to the threats of China, according to Secretary of State-nominee Tony Blinken on Tuesday.

"President Trump was right in taking a tougher approach to China," Blinken told senators Tuesday during his confirmation hearing, as the New York Post reported. "I disagree very much with the way that he went about it in a number of areas, but the basic principle was the right one, and I think that's actually helpful to our foreign policy."

Blinken added more agreement with outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo with regard to the Chinese government's treatment of Uighur Muslims as "genocide."

Also, Blinken said "there's been a strong and long bipartisan commitment to Taiwan," and his diplomatic approach will continue with "the commitment to Taiwan" as "something that we hold to very strongly."

"Part of that commitment is making sure that Taiwan have the ability to defend itself against aggression," Blinken added. "And that is a commitment that will absolutely endure."

Back on China, Blinken called the country a "techno autocracy," saying it "seeks to, in effect, become the leading country in the world — the country that sets the norms, that sets the standards."

"Whether the techno democracies or the techno autocracies are the ones that get to define how technology is used — the technology that dominates all of our lives — I think is going to go a long way to shaping the next decades," Blinken said.

"We have a very strong interest in making sure the techno democracies come together more effectively so we are the ones doing the shaping of those norms and rules."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he would've been right on COVID, he might still be president and Arizona wouldn't be blue... c'est la vie...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expect said 2 million in USA die from covid
    Not 1/4 there yet and now shots out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what was said:

"You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April."

"China is working very, very hard. I have spoken to President Xi, and they’re working very hard. And if you know anything about him, I think he’ll be in pretty good shape. They’re — they’ve had a rough patch, and I think right now they have it — it looks like they’re getting it under control more and more. They’re getting it more and more under control. So I think that’s a problem that’s going to go away."

"…when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

"It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear. And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We’ll see what happens. Nobody really knows"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden neocons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fully expect Biden to get rid of all the Chinese tariffs sooner rather than later. Time will hold me accountable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China Warns Taiwan 'Independence Means War,' Ramps up Military Presence Around Island
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information