Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't doubt that he's probably really good at it, maybe he's borderline nuts but knows how to get someone's computer up and is nice about it,
    I get older people requesting me to fix their computers at shop
    Some want tell oct nov to have them fixed so ducks can fix them
    I also fix some remotely if they need something and not in Yuma
    May no it be good at English and typing but can fix computers !
    Nope. Ducks sounds like an Indian tech guy who promises to fix your perfectly fine computer for the fine fee of 500 dollars.

his clientele are old people? This age group are the scammers target audience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US workers been getting screwed for 55 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as others have inted out, one size fits all wages don't work because economic conditions are discontinuous from place to place.

https://cepr.net/this-is-what-minimu...-productivity/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as others have inted out, one size fits all wages don't work because economic conditions are discontinuous from place to place.

https://cepr.net/this-is-what-minimu...-productivity/
    Basically what I was going to say. Walmart and McDonalds can afford to pay their employees a livable wage. A locally-owned grocery store in Rural America probably cannot.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because democracts do not run it and give the money to illegals
    And
    Give inmates millions
    no

it’s not a highly sought destination to live.

You have found a good in age, stay there. I think it’s cool that so many people continue using old computers so there is a supply for your services. Someday you could own a business that kids computers running for some of these very large financial ins utions. Hold that thought and then discard it. Vanguard and the Bank of London will not be moving to Yuma

can ducks fly? or could you just migrate... you could rent a place in London Paris or New York and then just migrate back to Yuma for the weather and feeding. Or maybe you need to think like a condor and not like a duck?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I'm glad you've done well for yourself and not going to knock you on that, but 267k here is just the 20% downpayment for the mortgage, tbh
    One of the benefits of my move tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what happened in mid '60s?

Revenue Act of 1964

In January 1963, Kennedy presented Congress with a tax proposal that would reduce the top marginal tax rate from 91 percent to 65 percent,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Act_of_1964

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rent-by-state

https://advisorsmith.com/data/coli/

https://money.com/average-income-eve...te-real-value/

$15/hour = $30K Gross

$23/hour = $46K Gross

$15 for the entire country is stupid, but Repugs love to screw blue cities where $15 is not sufficient

$15 should be the floor in poor (rural red regions) but hiked up in metro areas.

10Ms of people would come off public assistance, saving states $100Bs
    just begging for hyperinflation. Your economics sense is re ed.

Smart move: Keep the $7.25 for the whole country, allow cities (not states though) to incorporate minimum wages. People can choose which cities to live and work in, but not always states. And definitely not on the federal level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the benefits of my move tbh
    Plus VA state income tax is 5.75% compared to 13.3% in California.

Due to the extremely high COLA and state income tax, 23 an hour W2 might be a necessity in the big cities/big suburbs in CA (LA, SD, SF, OAK, SAC, etc) but shouldn't be statewide. Poor places like the CA-99 corridor, Porterville, etc would just get worse with a $23 an hour W2 minimum wage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus VA state income tax is 5.75% compared to 13.3% in California.

Due to the extremely high COLA and state income tax, 23 an hour W2 might be a necessity in the big cities/big suburbs in CA (LA, SD, SF, OAK, SAC, etc) but shouldn't be statewide. Poor places like the CA-99 corridor, Porterville, etc would just get worse with a $23 an hour W2 minimum wage.
    the taxes barely factor into the equation from my perspective. even if VA's state income tax was twice CA, it doesnt come near the difference in property value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the taxes barely factor into the equation from my perspective. even if VA's state income tax was twice CA, it doesnt come near the difference in property value
    if state income tax in Virginia was 26.6%, on top of your IRS and FICA (SS, Medicare) taxes; you'd definitely "feel it", tbh.

But yeah, the difference between a $900K 4bed/2.5 bath starter home in suburban SoCal / $1.3 million for the same in suburban Bay Area vs. $400-450K for the same in Virginia is a boon for relocating east.

The drawback is mainly felt this time of year though. No snow in Cali. No driving in ice in Cali. But hey, at least gas is cheap in Virginia!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if state income tax in Virginia was 26.6%, on top of your IRS and FICA (SS, Medicare) taxes; you'd definitely "feel it", tbh.

But yeah, the difference between a $900K 4bed/2.5 bath starter home in suburban SoCal / $1.3 million for the same in suburban Bay Area vs. $400-450K for the same in Virginia is a boon for relocating east.

The drawback is mainly felt this time of year though. No snow in Cali. No driving in ice in Cali. But hey, at least gas is cheap in Virginia!
    if the tradeoff for paying an additional 13% in income taxes was a can get a home for 1/3 or 1/4 of the price, i'd take that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the tradeoff for paying an additional 13% in income taxes was a can get a home for 1/3 or 1/4 of the price, i'd take that
    I think you can only write $10K in state and local income tax off your IRS taxes under the Trump 17-18 tax law

Hope Biden repeals it asap tbh.

I think people in VA/Michigan/PA/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Georgia felt the pain of that part of the Trump tax bill, as Will Hunting alluded to last year a few times, and that caused a lot of usual non voters and GOP voters in those states to vote against Trump in November.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just begging for hyperinflation. Your economics sense is re ed.

Smart move: Keep the $7.25 for the whole country, allow cities (not states though) to incorporate minimum wages. People can choose which cities to live and work in, but not always states. And definitely not on the federal level.
    you should check what hyperinflation means tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you should check what hyperinflation means tbh
    Large scale inflation in any case. Inflation and Keynesian economics are 2 cancers that must be fought at this time even harder than the pandemic itself.

Trump did NOT do a good job and he proved himself to be just another Keynesian economist. I don't trust Biden to really do any better but at least it's good to get the orange man out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Large scale inflation in any case. Inflation and Keynesian economics are 2 cancers that must be fought at this time even harder than the pandemic itself.

Trump did NOT do a good job and he proved himself to be just another Keynesian economist. I don't trust Biden to really do any better but at least it's good to get the orange man out.
    Keynesian spending is a tool in a toolbox.In a demand shock you need robust public spending to prevent debt-deflation and economic destruction. Right now it's a great idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keynesian spending is a tool in a toolbox.In a demand shock you need robust public spending to prevent debt-deflation and economic destruction. Right now it's a great idea.
    why are you discussing basic economics with Andy? It's clear he has no idea what he's talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are you discussing basic economics with Andy? It's clear he has no idea what he's talking about.
    I like to set a marker next to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better to have deflation than inflation. I miss the 55 cent burgers from Jack in the Box (very early Obama admin era) and when the Dollar Menu was the Dollar Menu and not the Dollar Menu & More Menu. Also the 5 dollar footlongs and milk under $1.50 a gallon.

Also, interest rates must be raised, because right now buyers just don't have a chance to buy a house at a fair price. Responsible, low-risk savers don't even have an opportunity to earn interest on their hard-earned money in the bank. Just unfair.

As president I would set a mandatory Fed interest rate floor at 3% via executive order. We need more foreclosures and less irresponsible borrowing because right now there is almost zero inventory. Trump ed up the economic cycle's natural ebb and flow because the natural ebb / trough was coinciding with his bid to get re-elected. Stupid stimulus crap. Trump is a hypocritical idiot

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically what I was going to say. Walmart and McDonalds can afford to pay their employees a livable wage. A locally-owned grocery store in Rural America probably cannot.
    With regard to McDonald's, I think this is also a big misconception.

Most McDonalds and other "corporate" restaurant chains that get used in these conversations are franchise based. While there are some restaurant groups that own hundreds or thousands of franchise locations, there are many other instances where the McDonald's you go to may be owned by some local guy. This is especially common in rural areas.

They pay Franchise dues and food costs, and they're often required to keep prices below a normal level of profitability because of requirements by the franchisor. And unless they're in a populous area, they might only bring in $5K-$10K of business a week, which is fine based on the cost of living in those places. But asking those people to pay their staff $23 an hour, or even $15 an hour, is ludicrous. At $23 an hour it's not unlikely they'd be paying a cook more than they make themselves. People love to say "Well if you can pay the CEO $23 bajillion dollars you can pay a dishwasher $23/hour" but those paychecks aren't coming from the same pool of money.

Meanwhile, we all love to talk about supporting local, but someone with enough expertise in food, marketing and branding, to start their own original restaurant concept is probably making a lot more money than your rural Dairy Queen owner in Gun Barrel City, TX (especially when they sell their restaurant concept to a larger firm).
    Last edited by Spurminator; 01-20-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There should be federal standards for minimum wage versus cost of living, but the actual amount should be determined by municipalities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There should be federal standards for minimum wage versus cost of living, but the actual amount should be determined by municipalities.
    yep

even $15/hour nationwide isn't good policy imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep

I don't know about that. There should be a floor, IMO. In an ideal world, you would index the minimum wage with inflation, otherwise, employees are always getting the short end of the stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep

Wish more democrats thought like you tbh.

Minimum wage should be jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Not state to state or especially at the federal level. I'm not a fan of any federal minimum wage, but keeping the $7.25 federal minimum is okay I guess.

But obviously in a place like San Francisco a $25/hour W2 minimum wage would make sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about that. There should be a floor, IMO. In an ideal world, you would index the minimum wage with inflation, otherwise, employees are always getting the short end of the stick.
    there should be a floor, but as spurminator pointed out, that floor could vary by locality. so the nationwide floor ideally would only be as high as the lowest locality. i dont know that $15/hr makes sense everywhere based on cost of living

Thread Information