Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    "barely has hits"

Stevie from 72-80 is one of the greatest creative runs from any artist ever.
    Guess that's what I get since I grew up listening to 104.5 (before the 2013 change), 99.5, and 106.7 (after 2012).

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Guess that's what I get since I grew up listening to 104.5 (before the 2013 change), 99.5, and 106.7 (after 2012).
    I didn't hear him much either until college or later. Most of his greatest songs aren't very radio friendly, they're either too long or even too proggy sometimes.

Start with the Innervisions album and go from there.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I didn't hear him much either until college or later. Most of his greatest songs aren't very radio friendly, they're either too long or even too proggy sometimes.

Start with the Innervisions album and go from there.
    Album? So you can just up and watch a full album on Youtube these days?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Generally I use Spotify.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People are overthinking this, it's Stevie Wonder and I'm not sure its all that close. No artist ever had a run like he did. He wrote, composed and played most of the instruments on most of his songs. As, I Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer, Superwoman, and For Once In My Life are personal favs tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only one I've heard is "Supers ious" and it's a fine pop song. But it's not worthy of my camry playlist.
    So when you qualified your list by number of "hits", you actually meant songs that you liked.
    Got it.

And to categorize Supers ious as a "fine pop song" is beyond re ed.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Uh, yeah. You can.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hendrix was arguably the most talented musician of all time; he could play 2 guitars, one held in either hand, one for thrashing soloes and the other for the rhythmic power chords

But he's dead.

I just never really considered Stevie Wonder. McCartney and Lennon were both big as individual artists in the 70s but Lennon was sadly cut short
    Obviously biased, but I legit think Hendrix was the most talented musician ever. He literally released 3 of the 100 greatest albums in a span of a 1 year and half. The stuff he was working on before he died was incredible. He bounced around from classic rock, psychedelic rock, popular rock, funk, R&B, and Soul-- with Blues being the base of his style-- and was incredible at all of them. Also criminally underrated singer and songwriter tbh.

Wonder isn't as talented as Hendrix but certainly the best living musician IMO. McCartney obviously had an incredible career but his solo stuff doesn't compare. Dylan obviously doesn't have much of a voice but songwriting alone is worth consideration.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hendrix was arguably the most talented musician of all time; he could play 2 guitars, one held in either hand, one for thrashing soloes and the other for the rhythmic power chords
    The re ed takes never stop with you. Hendrix was great but he wasn't technically a great or overly talented musician. He broke ground and is clearly among the top few most influential guitar players of all time.
    But compared to the guys that came after him, he's not even close on a talent level. Whether you define that as musicianship, technical ability, or songwriting.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    While not the top spot obviously, a good candidate could be Billy Corrigan.

Pumpkins were one of the most successful grunge/alternative band of the 90's and Corrigan is a musical genius. Dude played every instrument on track on ever album essentially, ontop of writing most of their catalog.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Pumpkins were one of the most successful grunge/alternative band of the 90's and Corrigan is a musical genius. Dude played every instrument on track on ever album essentially, ontop of writing most of their catalog.
    Didn't that group break up because the male guitarist and the female bassist fell in love then broke up or something?

#DontDateYourCoworkers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Man, I don't know. Playing multiple instruments doesn't make one a musical genius. And he wasn't technically brilliant in any of them. He wrote great songs imo but that's pretty subjective. There's too many people that don't get his music as compared to someone like McCartney where most people do get it. Even if they don't like it.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Man, I don't know. Playing multiple instruments doesn't make one a musical genius. And he wasn't technically brilliant in any of them. He wrote great songs imo but that's pretty subjective. There's too many people that don't get his music as compared to someone like McCartney where most people do get it. Even if they don't like it.
    It's especially amazing when you consider his brain was stretched out swiss cheese from all the mass amounts of pot he smoked.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's especially amazing when you consider his brain was stretched out swiss cheese from all the mass amounts of pot he smoked.
    I don't know what you're talking about.

But the reality is that musicians that become successful young have a much better shot at becoming great.
    Once those guys don't have to get second jobs, it means they can focus more and more on their music.
    At that point, your whole life revolves around music and you can practice as much as you want.
    Not to mention having enough gigs where you're playing constantly anyway.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I don't know what you're talking about.

But the reality is that musicians that become successful young have a much better shot at becoming great.
    Once those guys don't have to get second jobs, it means they can focus more and more on their music.
    At that point, your whole life revolves around music and you can practice as much as you want.
    Not to mention having enough gigs where you're playing constantly anyway.
    That's definitely not untrue.
    I had a girlfriend in the Cincinnati metro area who was actually one of Corey Feldman's angels a few years back.
    She'll never become one of the "great" ones even though she's a fantastic singer and performer, simply because she's now in her early 30s and has to juggle with a daughter and impoverishment and juggling bartending jobs/various gigs/loss of income due to COVID-19.
    I really feel bad for her. Even after she called me a " boi" after I told her I had to go back to Texas.
    Mara was special.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

He's got hits. He plays an insane amount of instruments. He can compose. He can write. He has awards.

He ticks all the boxes. Not saying he's THE guy, but a fair and accomplished candidate.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    He dieded, though

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Didn't that group break up because the male guitarist and the female bassist fell in love then broke up or something?

#DontDateYourCoworkers
    No. Not at all. Not even close.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's definitely not untrue.
    I had a girlfriend in the Cincinnati metro area who was actually one of Corey Feldman's angels a few years back.
    She'll never become one of the "great" ones even though she's a fantastic singer and performer, simply because she's now in her early 30s and has to juggle with a daughter and impoverishment and juggling bartending jobs/various gigs/loss of income due to COVID-19.
    I really feel bad for her. Even after she called me a " boi" after I told her I had to go back to Texas.
    Mara was special.
    Personally, I think that musical ability is not as rare as it's often represented. All the network talent shows kind of back this. And YouTube as well.

Being financially successful at it is pretty much now a function of getting the right breaks. And a big part of that is being fairly attractive.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Personally, I think that musical ability is not as rare as it's often represented. All the network talent shows kind of back this. And YouTube as well.

Being financially successful at it is pretty much now a function of getting the right breaks. And a big part of that is being fairly attractive.
    100% Agreed with your post. So many talented singers/musicians (like the ex of mine I'm talking about) at gigs working for peanuts because they aren't lucky to have gotten the right breaks and met the right people. At the opposite end of the spectrum you have this autistic ladyboy got from Canada with near-zero talent but fantastic connections who gets lucky and hits the top of the pop charts 11 years ago.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He's got hits. He plays an insane amount of instruments. He can compose. He can write. He has awards.

He ticks all the boxes. Not saying he's THE guy, but a fair and accomplished candidate.
    No doubt that he's very accomplished. But playing an insane amount of instruments isn't rare for people who have the luxury of spending their whole time playing instruments. It's not that difficult for an accomplished guitar player to move to bass or piano. And vice versa. The notes and theory are the same. Give that person enough time on any instrument, and they'll probably figure it out enough to be good. At least passable for pop music.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    No doubt that he's very accomplished. But playing an insane amount of instruments isn't rare for people who have the luxury of spending their whole time playing instruments. It's not that difficult for an accomplished guitar player to move to bass or piano. And vice versa. The notes and theory are the same. Give that person enough time on any instrument, and they'll probably figure it out enough to be good. At least passable for pop music.
    I find it quite impressive for people who have a full time day job and can also be insanely good musicians despite other stuff on their plate, where they can't be full time musicians and they're not millionaires or billionaires.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    My Cincinnati ex is a great musician and deserves a mention ITT. https://twitter.com/maramoon1988 ; https://www.instagram.com/maramaramoon/?hl=en

She'll never "make it big" and she relies on go fund me's to survive through the pandemic,

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My Cincinnati ex is a great musician and deserves a mention ITT. https://twitter.com/maramoon1988 ; https://www.instagram.com/maramaramoon/?hl=en

She'll never "make it big" and she relies on go fund me's to survive through the pandemic,
    She's not even your friend according to Facebook.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    She's not even your friend according to Facebook.
    Link my facebook

I bet you have the wrong guy, per par

Thread Information