NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Bono deserves a mention

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I'd put Paul McCartney over him. I love Stevie Wonder, no doubt, especially his early works, but you need to clarify your terms. Paul as part of the Beatles had a much larger following, more sales, more hits. George Strait has a ton of number 1 hits. There are plenty living musicians like Hetfield and Elton John who have a dog in the race. Steve Perry, Madonna, Phil Collins, Smokey Robinson... Plenty of living talent... Springsteen.. But the loss of Prince removes one of the greatest.
    When you get to the McCartney, Dylan, Springsteen, Wonder plane, it's hard to diminish anything. At that point I think it's really down to "wow" factor, which is what I get from Stevie more than the others (having nothing to do with his blindness, just how exciting and original he was.)

I guess if I had to pick one tangible thing in Stevie's favor over McCartney, I'd credit Stevie Wonder for the fact that when he took singular creative control (versus recording what Motown wrote for him, backed by studio musicians), he went on the best creative run of his career. When Paul McCartney took control (went solo, didn't have Lennon and Harrison adding input), his output got worse. On the other hand, there are dozens of absolute classic Beatles songs where Paul was clearly the alpha. So that's why they're 1A and 1B for me.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    When you get to the McCartney, Dylan, Springsteen, Wonder plane, it's hard to diminish anything. At that point I think it's really down to "wow" factor, which is what I get from Stevie more than the others (having nothing to do with his blindness, just how exciting and original he was.)

I guess if I had to pick one tangible thing in Stevie's favor over McCartney, I'd credit Stevie Wonder for the fact that when he took singular creative control (versus recording what Motown wrote for him, backed by studio musicians), he went on the best creative run of his career. When Paul McCartney took control (went solo, didn't have Lennon and Harrison adding input), his output got worse.
    Well his Wings weren't the Beatles,

but let's not act like Paul & Linda's music weren't very good because they were far better than what John & Yoko were putting out in the post Beatles 70s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Well his Wings weren't the Beatles,

but let's not act like Paul & Linda's music weren't very good because they were far better than what John & Yoko were putting out in the post Beatles 70s.
    Paul/Wings was definitely better than John solo or John/Yoko but that's not saying much.

I do like a lot of Paul's 70's stuff (Ram, Band on the Run, McCartney II) but I'm not convinced any of us would have ever heard it if it didn't have his name attached to it.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Paul/Wings was definitely better than John solo or John/Yoko but that's not saying much.

I do like a lot of Paul's 70's stuff (Ram, Band on the Run, McCartney II) but I'm not convinced any of us would have ever heard it if it didn't have his name attached to it.
    I liked a lot of his music that didn't make the pop charts like the "Uncle Albert and Admiral Halsey" song

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I liked a lot of his music that didn't make the pop charts like the "Uncle Albert and Admiral Halsey" song
    That one actually hit #1 on Billboard.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    That one actually hit #1 on Billboard.
    Really? I thought that one was a little *out there*. It was definitely unconventional / one of a kind.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Really? I thought that one was a little *out there*. It was definitely unconventional / one of a kind.
    The power of the McCartney brand.

Also the "hands across the water" part is a real earworm.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    The power of the McCartney brand.

Also the "hands across the water" part is a real earworm.
    My favorite was the whole nonchalant/ acid trippy/ pothead/ lazyass younger generation part:

"Admiral Halsey notified me
    He had to have a birth or he couldn't get to sea
    I had another look, and I had a cup of tea
    And a butter pie...!
    Linda: 'A buttah pie?'
    (* Paul groans* ...the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie"

So goes to show you that the Millennial generation weren't the first carefree, nonchalant, "lazy", non-hardworking generation in modern civilization. Those were baby boomers at the age roughly of today's millennials, insubordinate of their depressionary and prior aged superiors. Now the roles are reversed. Interesting how age changes people's minds and how they are wired, tbh. The older you get, the more authoritarian and more you favor hard work over foodstamps.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Then there's Nickelback of course.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    David Blaine

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Then there's Nickelback of course.

Worst band of the era. Worse than foo fighters and my chemical romance, who were both also awful.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Adam Levine deserves a mention?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Adam Levine deserves a mention?
    No.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    yes, Robert Plant is still alive.

And the Scorpions too
    Did you say Zeppelin and Scorpions in the same breath?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Did you say Zeppelin and Scorpions in the same breath?
    Lol if you don't think the Scorpions are in' awesome. I don't know what to tell ya.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Lol if you don't think the Scorpions are in' awesome. I don't know what to tell ya.
    Their in the 70s was great, you probably like the crap from the 80s tbh

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Their in the 70s was great, you probably like the crap from the 80s tbh
    I actually prefer their ballads from the late 70s, early 80s over their more hard glam-metal hits later on. From about 2003-2005 "Lady Starlight" was my favorite song in the world. It was technically 1980 but was in the style of some of their late 70s works... like born to touch your feelings.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Carolina State Wolfpack
    Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Mike Shinoda....

RIP Chester

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Before opening the thread, first name that came to mind was Stevie. His song catalogue is ridiculous. His reach of influence through genres is near ominous. He had innate talent to create mainstream honey melodies and still push the envelope with different musical sounds. I believe he was songwriting hits for other people as well. He’d be my pick as well.

If Prince were still alive, I’d lean towards him over Stevie. But Stevie isn’t far behind.

Two names I’d throw in the mix, but neither is quite the vocalist as guys like Stevie or McCartney. As far as just pure musical talent, whether you like his music or not, John Mayer is an incredible guitarist. I don’t even really listen to his stuff much at all. But just pure, natural talent, he’s exceptional. And the other name is Pharrell. Also not notable as a vocalist, he’s more of the modern musician who is as much a deejay producer type as he is a musician. But he is in fact a multi-instrumentalist who does more than make beats. I do think he’s a musical genius. But perhaps more of a Quincy Jones type musical genius rather than a Stevie Wonder one.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Billy Joel deserves a mention ITT.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys
    Good call but probably too short of a run. Real big shame that he lost his mind during the Smile sessions.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No. Not at all. Want to try and explain?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Worst band of the era. Worse than foo fighters and my chemical romance, who were both also awful.
    Almost every member of that group is richer than almost every name mentioned in this thread.

Do you really wonder why everyone s on you, you got?

Thread Information