Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Paul/Wings was definitely better than John solo or John/Yoko but that's not saying much.

I do like a lot of Paul's 70's stuff (Ram, Band on the Run, McCartney II) but I'm not convinced any of us would have ever heard it if it didn't have his name attached to it.
    Yeah, you're completely wrong. Lennon was making far better music than McCartney up to the day he dieded.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Their in the 70s was great, you probably like the crap from the 80s tbh
    I thought they were good through Love at First Sting which was 1984.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Almost every member of that group is richer than almost every name mentioned in this thread.

Do you really wonder why everyone s on you, you got?
    Not that I disagree with you as to the bands, but I don't think you can grade by wealth. Otherwise, you've got to consider e Girls and like that.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not that I disagree with you as to the bands, but I don't think you can grade by wealth. Otherwise, you've got to consider e Girls and like that.
    It's quantifiable. Only objective way to look at something like this.

And, by today's standards, the e Girls are ing Mozart.

The only "real" musicians of today (if "Artistry" and "skill" matters) are the producers. Rap/hip hop has completely lost it's meaning/message and artistry. Rock died in my teenage years.

Music, and the actual creative artistry created within, is nearly dead. Generation apologists will claim "evolution" or whatever fits their narrative, but the actual art and talent required to have an opinion impactful to matter is gone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The only "real" musicians of today (if "Artistry" and "skill" matters) are the producers. Rap/hip hop has completely lost it's meaning/message and artistry. Rock died in my teenage years.

Music, and the actual creative artistry created within, is nearly dead. Generation apologists will claim "evolution" or whatever fits their narrative, but the actual art and talent required to have an opinion impactful to matter is gone.
    I don't think there is a completely objective way to look at this. Like you said, today it's driven by the producers. And for a large part of bands, the writers. So you can't really say that just because a certain group sold x many records, they're good musicians. Because in many cases, they didn't write or contribute .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Yeah, you're completely wrong. Lennon was making far better music than McCartney up to the day he dieded.
    Lennon only made 4 even listenable original albums: Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games and Double Fantasy. Only 2 of those have any cultural relevance today. That doesn't count his 1975 album of bad covers from the 50's.

The rest of his output (and even some of the stuff on those albums) was experimental caterwauling that barely qualifies as music. He took the last half of the 70's off and then made Double Fantasy which was a 50/50 album with Yoko Ono. And it sucked. Got the typical postmortem sales and nostalgia bump but no one is going back and rocking "Just Like Starting Over." He had one Billboard #1 song while he was alive, and that was a duet with Elton John at a time when Elton could record himself farting and top the Hot 100.

He was musically irrelevant after the Imagine album in 1971. Boomers made "Imagine" a hymn after he died but people are starting to come to grips with what an overrated song it is. Meanwhile, Band on the Run has held up for 50 years as probably the best Beatles solo album, and the culture is also starting to reassess McCartney albums like Ram and McCartney II and discovering that those are holding up a lot better than other stuff. He always had an uphill battle against the music critic establishment that liked Lennon better, but people will be doing "Silly Love Songs" at karaoke long after we're all dead.

But like I said, I don't know that Paul (or Lennon) would have had much solo success if they weren't ex-Beatles.
    Last edited by Adam Lambert; 01-28-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    Name
    Allan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Good call but probably too short of a run. Real big shame that he lost his mind during the Smile sessions.
    the 2004 smile album is a masterpiece

there's a live video performance of it on the interwebs and it's the bomb

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    the 2004 smile album is a masterpiece

there's a live video performance of it on the interwebs and it's the bomb
    I love it but it's really a 1967 album re-recorded. He's a genius, no doubt. 1964-1967 was a monster run.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I thought they were good through Love at First Sting which was 1984.
    My favorite of theirs is Lovedrive, for me that was their peak but I am a Michael Schenker fan.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My favorite of theirs is Lovedrive, for me that was their peak but I am a Michael Schenker fan.
    Yeah...as a whole, starting with Lovedrive, I think the albums got slightly worse to LAFS. Then really fell off. That being said, I still liked LAFS.
    Which is why I really enjoyed World Wide Live. Kind of captured greatness from of all 4 of those albums.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...as a whole, starting with Lovedrive, I think the albums got slightly worse to LAFS. Then really fell off. That being said, I still liked LAFS.
    Which is why I really enjoyed World Wide Live. Kind of captured greatness from of all 4 of those albums.
    I take this back. Was just looking at the tracks for each album. I think I do like Love at First Sting better than all of them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Best thread in number of years

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Underrated list

#1 Hit writing machine John Rzeznik

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Bono deserves a mention
    I think U2 as a whole deserves credit. Best band list. Bono has become somewhat of a figurehead. But these 3 songs stick out to me

80s

90s

2000 and beyond

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    True regarding hip hop. But it was inevitable in this high tech age. Those guys were telling hood stories back then. Now there is no need for that as everyone has a cellphone with a camera and platform that they probably do not deserve

What I do not understand is why rock died the way it did. Today's generation likes to bob their head and skip all the deep lyrical content. So I think rock would be pretty big for Generation Z if it ever reignited. They'd love a Nirvana type band that can't be understood.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    True regarding hip hop. But it was inevitable in this high tech age. Those guys were telling hood stories back then. Now there is no need for that as everyone has a cellphone with a camera and platform that they probably do not deserve

What I do not understand is why rock died the way it did. Today's generation likes to bob their head and skip all the deep lyrical content. So I think rock would be pretty big for Generation Z if it ever reignited. They'd love a Nirvana type band that can't be understood.
    Rock shifted towards Alternative, which has never been better. When I compare my favorite Rock songs from 80s thru 2010s. I notice steady increase of one hit wonders. To me it signifies less influence by record industry. The songs are arguably more creative and outside the record company box

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Young people today have easy, on demand access to the past 60 years of rock and roll. They are listening to that, and they don't need, or necessarily want, new bands. Nirvana, Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc are huge with teens and college-aged people right now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

#1 Hit writing machine John Rzeznik

Last edited by FrostKing; 01-29-2021 at 04:18 AM.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    But like I said, I don't know that Paul (or Lennon) would have had much solo success if they weren't ex-Beatles.
    Julian Lennon sounds just like his dad. The little half one sounds like opening a can of spoiled mackerel, though.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Rock shifted towards Alternative, which has never been better. When I compare my favorite Rock songs from 80s thru 2010s. I notice steady increase of one hit wonders. To me it signifies less influence by record industry. The songs are arguably more creative and outside the record company box
    Meh, one hit wonders have been around for a long time. Look at Richie Blackmore's Rainbow (Dio the singer) and Tommy Tutone... eight six seven-five three oh nine!

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Meh, one hit wonders have been around for a long time. Look at Richie Blackmore's Rainbow (Dio the singer) and Tommy Tutone... eight six seven-five three oh nine!
    Rainbow wasn't a one hit wonder.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Rainbow wasn't a one hit wonder.
    And their biggest "hits" weren't even with Dio.

This is a perfect album though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    Tim Henson

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Then there's Nickelback of course.
    the nic cage of music

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i dont think their overall library is nearly as good, but from a "greatest hits" perspective UFO is probably a lot better than most give credit for. rock bottom is a guitar masterpiece, and that was just after schenker joined

Thread Information