Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Young people today have easy, on demand access to the past 60 years of rock and roll. They are listening to that, and they don't need, or necessarily want, new bands. Nirvana, Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc are huge with teens and college-aged people right now.
    well for people who like that genre of music, there isn't a lot of contemporary stuff to refer to. I think Muse was probably the closest thing who had a really strong peak, but havent put anything relevant out in years now. they almost felt like a Queen tribute. otherwise you're just looking at old bands that just happen to still be around

i will give my hot take that Wolfmother's debut album is the best rock album that's come out since Appe e for Destruction, but they didnt follow it up well and the band basically fell apart

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    well for people who like that genre of music, there isn't a lot of contemporary stuff to refer to. I think Muse was probably the closest thing who had a really strong peak, but havent put anything relevant out in years now. they almost felt like a Queen tribute
    And a Radiohead tribute in the beginning.

You're right about the lack of contemporary rock, but not sure how much of that is chicken/egg. Music as a whole has been fragmented since Napster to such a point where there may just not be as much demand for a great new rock band. There's still a lot of interesting stuff happening in metal, but it's hard for a more traditional rock band to gain a popular foothold because frankly it's hard not to sound like something everyone's already heard. It's almost like the best bet is to pull a Greta Van Fleet and purposefully ape a classic band to generate buzz.

The new music that becomes mainstream (hip hop, pop, etc) tends to appeal to people who are less interested in the music itself than keeping up with popular culture.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i dont think their overall library is nearly as good, but from a "greatest hits" perspective UFO is probably a lot better than most give credit for. rock bottom is a guitar masterpiece, and that was just after schenker joined
    I listen to Phenomenon all the time, love UFO with Schenker. Obsession and Lights Out are also great. Rock Bottom is pretty much a perfect song imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    I make band

Singer: Stevie
    G: Clapton
    Bass: Flea
    3rd: Slash
    Drummer: Barker (Baker almost)

Post Count