Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big fan of Wagner. I'm all for him getting drafted. But if we aren't in the lottery I fear he will be gone by the time the spurs draft.

I'd like to see the spurs take a gamble on herb jones in the 2nd round. He is a defensive gem, has playmaking abilities, is unselfish and has now added a three point shot.

With a little added strength he can guard 1 through 5.

He's a hard worker and gets better every year.

Love what I see. He's on the older side, so it would be a Derrick White-type pick. But the skills definitely stand out. I can't say that for much of the currently first round projected picks. From where we are likely to pick, Herb is a decent consolation prize. I say I'd even reach for him if we have a late 1st.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo the need is inside but il would be happy with Wagner. I like his at ude and IQ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Love what I see. He's on the older side, so it would be a Derrick White-type pick. But the skills definitely stand out. I can't say that for much of the currently first round projected picks. From where we are likely to pick, Herb is a decent consolation prize. I say I'd even reach for him if we have a late 1st.
    I've seen him as a 36th pick on one mock draft and undrafted on all others. I think the tourney is going to give him a lot more exposure.

When its all said and done I dint think he will be around late in the second. He could wind up a later first rounder once he's run through the pre draft process of being analyzed.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Michigan alum and I follow the basketball program, so I watch most of the games. So I’ve seen plenty of Franz these last two seasons. I haven’t read every post in this thread, but most of what’s been said is pretty spot on.

He’s a legit 6’9 plus. The freshman center inson is listed at 7’1 and while he’s certainly taller, Franz is not much shorter. He looks like he’s really close, in fact, possibly 6’10ish. He generally guards the opposing 2-3-4, whichever is the best or most potent offensive player. He was pegged by some college hoops analysts as a breakout candidate this season and while he’s been solid, he hasn’t quite been the type of star some expected. He started the season not hitting the three in the first few games. So his percentage doesn’t accurately reflect how good of a shooter he is. He’s a very good shooter with very good mechanics. Not like a Ray Allen, Brad Beal type. But if he’s open with time to set and square up, good bet he’ll make a high percentage of them. Several reasons why he hasn’t broken out offensively. As I said, he started the season cold from the three point line. Also the freshman inson started the season so dominantly on offense and Livers has consistently been really good offensively as well that Franz has not been a primary scorer in many of the games. He doesn’t hunt shots. And he doesn’t get down on himself or get upset if he doesn’t get a lot of touches or shots. Basically, he plays within himself and within the flow of the offense. He does pretty much everything well.

His best trait might be defense. Tho I don’t know how it will translate in the NBA against better athletes. Part of the reason he’s so good on defense at least at this level is not necessarily his size or athleticism, although size helps and he is a good athlete, but it’s his effort. He wants to defend. He likes to defend. He takes pride in playing defense. Whatever analysis you make on his game, I’d be sure to include that he plays hard. The kid plays hard. For however valuable you believe effort is.

I don’t view him as an NBA star, and I do think so many NBA front offices try to find potential s om in the lottery, even at the possible expense of bust potential. So I don’t know how high he may end up getting drafted. Middle first round in the teens is possible, but so is the second round imo. But I do think he’d be a great role player in the NBA, as long as he gets a fair shot with a team.

Trying to think of the best current NBA comparison, and I came up with Nic Batum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michigan alum and I follow the basketball program, so I watch most of the games. So I’ve seen plenty of Franz these last two seasons. I haven’t read every post in this thread, but most of what’s been said is pretty spot on.

He’s a legit 6’9 plus. The freshman center inson is listed at 7’1 and while he’s certainly taller, Franz is not much shorter. He looks like he’s really close, in fact, possibly 6’10ish. He generally guards the opposing 2-3-4, whichever is the best or most potent offensive player. He was pegged by some college hoops analysts as a breakout candidate this season and while he’s been solid, he hasn’t quite been the type of star some expected. He started the season not hitting the three in the first few games. So his percentage doesn’t accurately reflect how good of a shooter he is. He’s a very good shooter with very good mechanics. Not like a Ray Allen, Brad Beal type. But if he’s open with time to set and square up, good bet he’ll make a high percentage of them. Several reasons why he hasn’t broken out offensively. As I said, he started the season cold from the three point line. Also the freshman inson started the season so dominantly on offense and Livers has consistently been really good offensively as well that Franz has not been a primary scorer in many of the games. He doesn’t hunt shots. And he doesn’t get down on himself or get upset if he doesn’t get a lot of touches or shots. Basically, he plays within himself and within the flow of the offense. He does pretty much everything well.

His best trait might be defense. Tho I don’t know how it will translate in the NBA against better athletes. Part of the reason he’s so good on defense at least at this level is not necessarily his size or athleticism, although size helps and he is a good athlete, but it’s his effort. He wants to defend. He likes to defend. He takes pride in playing defense. Whatever analysis you make on his game, I’d be sure to include that he plays hard. The kid plays hard. For however valuable you believe effort is.

I don’t view him as an NBA star, and I do think so many NBA front offices try to find potential s om in the lottery, even at the possible expense of bust potential. So I don’t know how high he may end up getting drafted. Middle first round in the teens is possible, but so is the second round imo. But I do think he’d be a great role player in the NBA, as long as he gets a fair shot with a team.

Trying to think of the best current NBA comparison, and I came up with Nic Batum.
    Thanks for chiming in! A Nic Batum on this team would do wonders. I think if he does get drafted by the Spurs, then signs of s om will show. It's the same way Vassell looks like a higher ceiling prospect now than when he was first drafted...the Spurs know how to work with a prospect with a solid blueprint. You find players who know how to play from the get go (I.e. Kawhi & Vassell) then help them develop from there. Two way prospects are unique in their own way and provide lots of value. At this point, it's hard seeing the Spurs draft him but I'm crossing my fingers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo the need is inside but il would be happy with Wagner. I like his at ude and IQ.
    Imho, Wagner would fit our biggest need: that 6'9, 6"10 stretch combo forward to throw at the Lebrons, Kawhis and Durants of this league.

I'm salivating at the defensive potential of a Murray, White, Vassell, Wagner, Poeltl lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imho, Wagner would fit our biggest need: that 6'9, 6"10 stretch combo forward to throw at the Lebrons, Kawhis and Durants of this league.

I'm salivating at the defensive potential of a Murray, White, Vassell, Wagner, Poeltl lineup.

This kid has it all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His game reminds me a little bit of Galinari on the offensive side of things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by Dejounte; 02-19-2021 at 04:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another great game by your boy Franz. Unfortunately ( or fortunately, depends ) it looks like he'll be long gone by the time the Spurs pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another great game by your boy Franz. Unfortunately ( or fortunately, depends ) it looks like he'll be long gone by the time the Spurs pick.
    Clinging onto hope that the Spurs will have an additional first round pick (via trade) come draft time

If not, then I guess I can settle for other NicBatum/Siakam types like Herbert Jones, Ziaire Williams, BJ Boston.

There's obscure prospects that I hope the Spurs go for if they don't like any of the popular ones: Sandro Mamukelashvili, Vrenz Bleijenbergh, JT Thor

IMO, the second best "cultural" fit I've seen is Herb Jones. The guy played with a broken hand for his team and made clutch free throws with his non shooting hand. Everything I've read about the guy is that he's a natural born leader who is all about the team. Only issue I see is that he's old.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-19-2021 at 06:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shh, best thing that can happen to us is that they cancel the entire college season so that this guy stops raising.
    This. It’s the ol’ conundrum. If they’re good enough, they won’t fall to us.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m warming up to Wagner. I like the focus on defense, which seems to be the new focus from the Spurs as well. Seems like he would fit into any team. That’s good, we need players like that. And maybe he has some more upside, even if it’s through his work ethic and not high-end athleticism.

Herb Jones—sounds like another solid option. Teams typically prefer to shoot for boom/bust type players, but I think college upperclassman are undervalued, and honestly, young players need so much development, even if they’re a four-year player, so I see being older as an advantage for late picks, assuming they have a translatable skill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good player. He’ll be long gone by the Spurs pick though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Franz in takeover mode tonight. Geez

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Franz in takeover mode tonight. Geez
    Finally I got a chance to watch him play. I liked it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My boy Franz is going OFF again. 10 points with 10 minutes remaining still in the 1st half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My boy Franz is going OFF again. 10 points with 10 minutes remaining still in the 1st half.

On that first video and few others I've noticed he has some mannerisms of Manu when taking contact/finishing at the basket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article on Franz:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the Spurs also draft someone named Hans ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the Spurs also draft someone named Hans ?
    So they can pump you up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is Rudy's replacement. Dejounte has sold me.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious. Do people not see Luka as the Rudy replacement? Also, if Luka continues to do well, does that complicate their draft priorities? I still go for a big, but would they focus on a backup center instead?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious. Do people not see Luka as the Rudy replacement? Also, if Luka continues to do well, does that complicate their draft priorities? I still go for a big, but would they focus on a backup center instead?
    I see Franz as a plug-in-any-position type player. Imagine if Vassell had better ball handling skills, then you can basically play him 1-4. Franz is the same way. You can find use for players like that anytime. I just think bigs are easy to find for cheap these days, something not worth a first round investment in (unless another long project/ hidden international gem like Luka is available in the 20s). Versatile, do it all types like Franz are rare.

Unfortunately, it's not likely Franz will be there when we pick unless we make a trade for another pick in the late lottery.

Thread Information