View Poll Results: What's the best choice ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Drummond

8 18.60%
  • John Collins

22 51.16%
  • Richaun Holmes

7 16.28%
  • Lauri markannen

6 13.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's clear that the Spurs need a good inside guy for the future, Aldridge is done and poetl is a back up imo.

In next fa the spurs will have a lot of money with only a few teams who can offer a Max contract ( OKC, New York, Chicago, Charlotte...)

So who you got between those four ?

My order is Holmes/markannen/Drummond/Collins, i will argue after why I have this order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dre and Holmes are 5s, John and Lauri 4s 1- John 2- Lauri 3- Dre 4- Holmes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dre and Holmes are 5s, John and Lauri 4s 1- John 2- Lauri 3- Dre 4- Holmes
    I agree

Then you play poetl or another C alongside markannen or Collins ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins then Markkannen then Holmes then nothing then finally Drummond.

Collins is the best/most actualized and just feels like a really good fit with the guys already on the roster. He's obviously worth the max.

Markkannen is still more potential than production, but he might be acquirable if the team is willing to offer big money this summer or offer some value for him this season.

Holmes has been a center, and while Wood is doing well, the Spurs are already invested in a decent option there and could easily draft one soon. I think at his best, Holmes has been better than Poeltl usually is, but it's not consistent.

Nothing isn't ideal, but maybe they could sell cap space for assets? At least it's not them signing...

Drummond is an empty-stats player. Rebounding really does matter, but don't be fooled by talk that he's some winning player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree

Then you play poetl or another C alongside markannen or Collins ?
    this..
    I think Jakob could work, I just don't know what the level of this team would be

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should have probably added a price tag on each. Richaun for the max is terrible compared to having John for the max. Richaun will likely be had for way under the max.

Lauri's garbage from the times I've seen him.

John's the best player of the bunch but would probably lock us in another cycle of mediocrity if he's one of your top paid players.

Richaun is good but at a certain price threshold.

Drummond would have to come really cheap for me to consider him.

If Tillman and Precious are getting solid minutes as rookies, not sure why we can't address that need in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There not too many max bigs. The center position is down too jokic, Gobert, embid, towns off the top of my head. Is Collins naturally a 4?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have seen zero Cavs games this year so I have no idea if Drummond is having a solid year. BUT I did see his highlight on Shaqtin a fool and that was enough for me to say no.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d take Drummond. Give me 19 pts 15 reb 3 assist and 2 blocks on 49% shooting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like both Lauri and John Collins but I can’t see the spurs targeting them imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Collins the most out of all them and he's the youngest of the bunch, but I've watched a couple Kings games this season and I really like what I've seen out of Holmes. LM has a lot of potential and can stretch the floor but injuries have really slowed him down.

Not a chance the Spurs land any of them tbh, but it is clear as day we need a big man and in a hurry. I don't even like Jakob as the future back up center never mind starting center. It's 2021 you have to at least be able to shoot and stretch the floor or at least be a junk yard dog and just be tough and unfortunately he's neither.
    Last edited by emanueldavidginobili; 01-21-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond for the max, easily. He’s the perfect center for this team, especially if both Murray and White start. The P&R between them would be just as fun to watch as the beautiful game. Teams wouldn’t know who to stay on. Stick your big to Drummond and Murray/White get an open lane.

To think that Cleveland got him for Brandon Knight, John Henson, and a 2nd round pick....

Also, I know I called Christian Wood being a stud back in 2018, but I’ve been a fan of Holmes for longer (2016)

Trade Kyle to Philly for Richaun Holmes. We got our backup 3
    btw I was talking about Bertans here being our backup 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Greg Brown and you have a Collins-type for less money and a better character. And make Markkanen an offer to get a shooting 5. He‘s not perfect, but shouldn’t cost that much. Low risk - if it works out: high reward.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tough question, imo it strongly depends on $$. collins is the best player but its highly probable that two of the rest or one of them+olynyk would be available at the same prize.
    Last edited by spurspl; 01-22-2021 at 07:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Greg Brown and you have a Collins-type for less money and a better character. And make Markkanen an offer to get a shooting 5. He‘s not perfect, but shouldn’t cost that much. Low risk - if it works out: high reward.
    Agreed. People here are quick to give away money for instant gratification like I wonder how many car payments they have
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-22-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I watch Drummond play the more I like him but only if the price is cheap because why he does 3 things at an elite level, it is only 3 things, and he has more than 3 things he does at a very poor level.

Ideally it would be Collins at the 4 Allen at the 5

Then Collins at the 4 then Drummond at the 5

Then Collins at the 4 then Homes at the 5

Then Collins at the 4 Lauri at the 5

Then Lauri at the 4 then Holmes at the 5

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. People here are quick to give away money for instant gratification like I wonder how many car payments they have
    Plus: How would DJ and Derrick react to a max for a guy like Collins, while they both are way under 20 mill? That could go the wrong way. Collins is no star player who gets them over the hump. Why paying him the max? I think it's better to build a strong foundation and trade for a real star when someone is available. Or get lucky in the draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I watch Drummond play the more I like him but only if the price is cheap because why he does 3 things at an elite level, it is only 3 things, and he has more than 3 things he does at a very poor level.

Ideally it would be Collins at the 4 Allen at the 5

Then Collins at the 4 then Drummond at the 5

Then Collins at the 4 then Homes at the 5

Then Collins at the 4 Lauri at the 5

Then Lauri at the 4 then Holmes at the 5
    Can they pay Collins & Allen/Drummond, if they want to extend Keldon, Lonnie & Devin after their rookie contracts? If they want one of Allen/Drummond they have to trade Poeltl, because it makes no sense to have him on the team then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap management is about opportunity cost. Folks acting like the Spurs should be worrying about moneyballing contracts seem to think of salary management like balancing a personal budget. The Spurs don't gain anything by being below the cap for multiple years. The team may or may not be able to draft a good PF, but that has no bearing on whether they should sign one in free agency. Having two good PFs and trading one is hardly the worst outcome on the planet.

Plus, no, guys who play like Collins aren't readily available. 20/10 players are relatively rare, especially when talking about stretch bigs with decent athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can they pay Collins & Allen/Drummond, if they want to extend Keldon, Lonnie & Devin after their rookie contracts? If they want one of Allen/Drummond they have to trade Poeltl, because it makes no sense to have him on the team then.
    It's bad money to extend five smalls, so this scenario is a nothingburger to me. They can afford to completely use up their cap space and extend Walker or Johnson and then choose between Murray and Vassell in four years. And this is ignoring the possibility of trading any of the extended guys or Poeltl, which they absolutely should do for the sake of their long-term financial help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins Drummond Holmes Lauri (don’t know lauri can play 5)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap management is about opportunity cost. Folks acting like the Spurs should be worrying about moneyballing contracts seem to think of salary management like balancing a personal budget. The Spurs don't gain anything by being below the cap for multiple years. The team may or may not be able to draft a good PF, but that has no bearing on whether they should sign one in free agency. Having two good PFs and trading one is hardly the worst outcome on the planet.

Plus, no, guys who play like Collins aren't readily available. 20/10 players are relatively rare, especially when talking about stretch bigs with decent athleticism.
    You may be right, but I wouldn't pay him. He already demands more touches and got suspended last season. He definitely is not the character guy the Spurs normally prefer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Below the cap for multiple years" is not the case. A couple of our players will be due for an extension and there's always free agency next year. Being below would apply for a year at most. No reason to blow our load this year.

Collins scoring 20 is mostly from the spacing he'll never get here but that's a separate topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing John Collins to a max just extends what the Spurs have had the past two seasons with DeRozan-- a highly paid, high usage rate guy as your #1 option, not setting the world on fire with defense, leading to slightly-better-than-average results-- a playoff spot without HCA, and an early exit. Collins and DeRozan together on the floor for 30+ mpg each in the future would guarantee the Spurs are not an elite or even average defensive team. I think there's a natural tendency when we hear 20/10 guy to think of Timmy, but Collins will never have the effect on winning that Timmy did. He won't even have a Manu level influence, and giving him the max only raises the statistical probability that the Spurs don't eventually max out a true max player.

Thread Information