Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, with this lingering wrist injury, Lonnie remains a high upside enigma. Do we extend him? If so, wonder if they coul do it relatively cheap like less than DJ and White? That'd be a lot of money locked in 3 young guards
    you absolutely keep him. Move DeRozan and make him the main scorer next year. I think they can resign him for less than DJ and White, which could be quite the bargain in the long run. On the other hand he's managed by Klutch Sports so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie's shooting is essential

Lock him up before next year somewhere between poeltl and dejounte money. It will prove itself to be a steal by ASB 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to keep him but can foresee scenarios where he goes elsewhere either by trade or FA.
    Get well soon Lonnie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie's shooting is essential

Lock him up before next year somewhere between poeltl and dejounte money. It will prove itself to be a steal by ASB 2022.
    I would happily lock him up, but I'm not paying him more than Poeltl money... He hasn't shown anything like the level of performance Poeltl showed before we re-signed him. From performance, we should be paying him much less than Poeltl (like $5M/year). Lonnie won't sign an early extension for that, so I expect him to hit RFA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depending on who we draft he might be expendable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would happily lock him up, but I'm not paying him more than Poeltl money... He hasn't shown anything like the level of performance Poeltl showed before we re-signed him. From performance, we should be paying him much less than Poeltl (like $5M/year). Lonnie won't sign an early extension for that, so I expect him to hit RFA.
    you're projecting the talent you expect to see once the contract kicks in

MLE type money for Lonnie Walker AFTER next season... not next season, AFTER next season will prove itself to be a steal.

When he breaks out next year his RFA will be costly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

MLE type money for Lonnie Walker AFTER next season... not next season, AFTER next season will prove itself to be a steal.

What's stopping Lonnie from breaking out now is his head. You can't pay him for potential; that's at best a 50-50 shot if it ever gets fixed. If you pay him big time, that will reduce the chance of him breaking through that barrier in his head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's stopping Lonnie from breaking out now is his head. You can't pay him for potential; that's at best a 50-50 shot if it ever gets fixed. If you pay him big time, that will reduce the chance of him breaking through that barrier in his head.
    10 million AAV is not big time money in today’s nba. It’s what you pay for a solid rotation player and borderline starter.

ive seen more than enough from Lonnie to project that opening night 2022 he is worth that. Best 3 point shooter not named Mills on this team, can shoot off the bounce which is very rare on this roster, scored double digits in the last 12 of 13 games.

since he’s gone down the spacing is obviously broken. Nail him down. If he doesn’t figure it out you have a movable contract tied to a high upside young player you can flip for a pick down the line. The potential upside of him figuring things out and being locked into a bargain deal is the no brainer move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMelo Ball's wrist injury keeping him out long-term is a data point that supports this theory.

Less Lonnie going forward makes it much less likely the Spurs trade Mills, unless they get offered a great return. Both Lonnie and Mills are best suited for microwave roles off the bench, but I can't see Pop wanting a rotation with neither of those two.

LaMelo BROKE HIS WRIST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

exactly this. People should remember how DJ looked last season and how he looks this season. Completely different player and I see Lonnie getting there too, he's already improved his finishing arount the rim

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly this. People should remember how DJ looked last season and how he looks this season. Completely different player and I see Lonnie getting there too, he's already improved his finishing arount the rim
    Agree with both of you. He could be cheap next summer and he is progressing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Absolutely agree with this.... is it a gamble? Yes, but the downside is minimal compared to the upside and we are in a position where we should take calculated gambles on young talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His next season contract can’t be changed in any way. While his extension must be done before next season, it won’t kick in until after, like Derrick this year. He signed his extension before the season, but it won’t kick in until next season. He’s still a real value.

It’s a risk on both parties. If you wait for him to ABSOLUTELY proves himself next year by not reaching an extension agreement, he will hit RFA, and you may have to match offers.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2-6 since he went down. Second most valuable player on the team behind Dejounte, tbh. The fact that the tiest eye for talent on the forum, exstatic, hates him makes me all the more sure that he’s that good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2-6 since he went down. Second most valuable player on the team behind Dejounte, tbh. The fact that the tiest eye for talent on the forum, exstatic, hates him makes me all the more sure that he’s that good.
    I think I could make an argument that he's more valuable than DJ (although not necessarily better at the moment) because his talent level is higher and therefore his ceiling is higher..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie needs to shoot the ball when open, drive to the rim and finish when closed out on, and swing the ball around the horn almost never. He also needs to stop playing Forbes level defense.

It’s kind of weird that two of our highest first rounders, Lonnie and Luka, are the most passive of the six young players. Lonnie has reached less of his ceiling than any of the six. Devin hangs his hat on defense, and is a lot more willing to let it fly than Lonnie, and with good results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw, does anyone happen to have an update on our so called "overrated offball guard" ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pointed that out to someone yesterday (about Lonnie, not Ex). Maybe LWIV is more valuable than people thought. The second unit is sh!t right now. Watching Patty chuck threes and everyone else standing around on offense make me realize how much Lonnie's needed to spur the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people thinking this soft dude going down is the reason the team went to

He wasnt even starting or closing. No consistency. Terrible defensive IQ. I'm not saying he's trash but he's not close to mattering THAT much either.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I could make an argument that he's more valuable than DJ (although not necessarily better at the moment) because his talent level is higher and therefore his ceiling is higher..
    Sadly I don’t believe he will reach his ceiling here by being the 3rd or 4th option every minute he’s on the floor. Exstatic pointed out that him and Luka are the most passive out of the 6 young players... maybe that’s because Pop despises them and will pull them after any small mistake they commit. Murray, White, Keldon, and Vassell all got guaranteed playing time early in their careers. Lonnie was fetching gatorades for Marco and Forbes his first two years and Luka is buried behind Eubanks and Rudy.

I pointed that out to someone yesterday (about Lonnie, not Ex). Maybe LWIV is more valuable than people thought. The second unit is sh!t right now. Watching Patty chuck threes and everyone else standing around on offense make me realize how much Lonnie's needed to spur the offense.
    Yup. If the starters get down early, it’s a guaranteed L right now. That second unit isn’t closing leads anytime soon with Patty running a half court offense Teams are letting Patty chuck up after screens and it’s working for them

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at people thinking this soft dude going down is the reason the team went to

He wasnt even starting or closing. No consistency. Terrible defensive IQ. I'm not saying he's trash but he's not close to mattering THAT much either.
    I think we got burned with the White signing and I think we will get burned if we throw money at Walker - I like him as a person but as a basketball he has a long way to go. For starters he is a terrible defender always looking lost and late on switched and only seen a slight improvement - On offense he is super SOFT he doesn't take it to the rim and the few times he does he can't finish and the dude has to be yelled out to shot the wide open 3 ball.

My main concern with White and Walker is they have shown they are injury prone - I always feel Walker it going to tear his knee and White foot is going to fall off for some weird reason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly I don’t believe he will reach his ceiling here by being the 3rd or 4th option every minute he’s on the floor. Exstatic pointed out that him and Luka are the most passive out of the 6 young players... maybe that’s because Pop despises them and will pull them after any small mistake they commit. Murray, White, Keldon, and Vassell all got guaranteed playing time early in their careers. Lonnie was fetching gatorades for Marco and Forbes his first two years and Luka is buried behind Eubanks and Rudy.

Yup. If the starters get down early, it’s a guaranteed L right now. That second unit isn’t closing leads anytime soon with Patty running a half court offense Teams are letting Patty chuck up after screens and it’s working for them
    I agree with that... there's a way you deal with players who aren't born alphas to build them up and get them to reach their potential.... but we don't do that here...or maybe we just don't know how..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think Lonnie is a least a bit under appreciated around here. But still... as long as Pop is running things as if Duncan is going to save the day for him we'll continue to stagnate. Pop is in the way of progress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie frustrates the heck out of me but it’s apparent he’s been missed offensively. This teams lack of shooters can’t afford any of them to miss significant time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we got burned with the White signing and I think we will get burned if we throw money at Walker - I like him as a person but as a basketball he has a long way to go. For starters he is a terrible defender always looking lost and late on switched and only seen a slight improvement - On offense he is super SOFT he doesn't take it to the rim and the few times he does he can't finish and the dude has to be yelled out to shot the wide open 3 ball.

My main concern with White and Walker is they have shown they are injury prone - I always feel Walker it going to tear his knee and White foot is going to fall off for some weird reason.
    I do think we got burnt a bit on the White signing, but not for the reason you're implying - I don't think he's overpaid at all (he's getting about what most starters on other teams make, and he's definitely starting material, or at least a really good, bench-leading 6th man depending on role), but his contract doesn't fit the timeline of the team, who should be en route to at least a year or two of tanking. Having said that, it's also true that, even if you're tanking, there's a minimum amount of money that has to be spent by teams, and DW's contract plays into that. It's not like we could pay him nothing - and letting him hit RFA wouldn't have been much better IMO, especially after his bubble run.

Overall, it's just really hard to evaluate the pieces on the team right now, because they're so misfit with one another. It's not yet clear to me whether the starting backcourt of Dejounte/White cannot work, or if it's just a matter of DeRozan making most lineups around him unplayable: we saw this last game - Dejounte out should've meant the offense would be better ran and smoother, and DeMar got his 20 points and made the passes he made, White also made a good amount of shots, yet they still got blown out by Cleveland. The starting unit as a whole is trash, we know that much, and I personally think DeMar is trash... Not ready to call it on White yet, at all.

Lonnie's on a similar boat with his ceiling, role, and abilities still mostly unclear, but IMO he's much less of a "burn candidate" than White. His low production means he won't command much money, and an early extension this season is an absolutely good move, considering next season the Spurs might be all-out tanking, and he'll be getting a much bigger role when the vets are (hopefully) shipped out. Lock him up, tbh.

Thread Information