Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With that said, nobody should be giving up on the guy. They just need to lower their expectations. Lonnie's primary issues are two main things: lack of toughness and weak defensive principles. These are serious issues, probably moreso than the weaknesses our other guys have. Like someone said, it's very similar to DJ and how everyone thought he was a lost cause. However, I think DJ was able to solve his problems by 1) getting stronger, thereby improving his finishing ability and 2) becoming faster. It was not a mental thing for DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Lonnie can be special but, we expected him to be a Donovan Mitc type and he’s looking more like an Iman shumpert lol he’s just gotta work on his confidence and for the love of god his finishing around the rim

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weaknesses: Lacks defensive intensity, especially off the ball, as he has a habit of floating around the court instead of remaining engaged … Looks lost at times on offense when the ball isn’t in his hands … Needs to have the ball in order to be a threat offensively, but likely won’t be the primary option on offense, will need to develop his off the ball game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I think he just needs more time to develop. Right now Pop is challenging him defensively by letting him guard the opponents best player, where he is getting cooked on a nightly basis. Offensively he’s learning how to play off ball. He does a good job shooting, but I‘d like to see him move more to get open and cut to the rim.

I also think he would be better suited for coming off the bench and getting his touches there. He still needs to improve his finishing, but I think he will get there by next season. He’s definitely not a defensive stopper, but maybe he‘ll improve by guarding these tough match ups

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LW4 has flashes of being a DWade lite player, but he's still raw which is one of his issues. Also, what exactly is his role on this team? To be like BB12, except that LW4 has athleticism? Unsure if this is LW4'S strengths though, and if he's sold on that role or not, and this could be holding his
    full potential back. Another is his confidence which is inconsistent. He is soft, especially when going into the paint as a scorer, as if he is afraid of the contact. This makes me wonder if he's still hasn't gotten over his injury from his rookie season from a mental standpoint. Defensively, meh. I think he was asked to take on the challenge just because of his athleticism, but I think that deep down inside, it's not his real passion, maybe. But he's too inconsistent with his motor aggressiveness and this, I believe goes back to his confidence level. But it's on him to continue to learn on and off the court. Everyone develops and matures differently from a time standpoint. As he and the coaching staff evaluate his strengths and weaknesses, this should prompt him in the offseason, to work on his game for improvement. Hopefully in two or three years, we may see a more mature and polished player that we/he are looking forward for him to be! There are lots of variables to this, but the bottom line is, if he wants to be a winner and have a successful NBA career, it's on him to go out there and get it, though. GSG!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie could be special but he must put forth real effort; he has the tools! He must get mentally tougher.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest issue is that he rarely imposes himself. He just runs around while worse players keep chucking.

I really thought he's finally starting to figure it out after those 2 games when Demar was out, but then he just reverted back to passive role.
    He'll be due for an extension soon and we need to know if he's worth it or not.
    In their current state, this roster is an easy sweep for LA teams even if they make the playoffs. There's literally nothing to gain.

Lonnie can start, but his minutes needs to be staggered so he's in charge of the offense when Demar is on the bench. Especially while Derrick is out.
    Instead we have to watch FIBA Patty shamelessly chuck every single game, washed up Rudy and his iso chucking with Jakob being useless because noone can utilize his great screens properly.

It's not a coincidence Spurs won most games when Patty/Rudy didn't do much ballhandling, but just had spot up shots.
    Watching those two black holes on offense is agonizing. Especially considering their lack of defensive impact.

I'd rather see Lonnie, Keldon and Devin chuck 20 shots a game each than watch the washed up veterans win a couple more games that will ultimately lead to nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weaknesses: Lacks defensive intensity, especially off the ball, as he has a habit of floating around the court instead of remaining engaged … Looks lost at times on offense when the ball isn’t in his hands … Needs to have the ball in order to be a threat offensively, but likely won’t be the primary option on offense, will need to develop his off the ball game.

Change le of thread. Sounds like he is an “appropriately” rated offball guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he just lackys physicality on both sides of the ball. on offense he is terrified of contact and on defense he just lacks intensity. which sucks because he has the tools and enough skill to be something... a guy who can drop 20 ppg as a designated scorer of sorts, while also playing solid defense using his good length and quickness. but none of that has manifesting with the exception of glimpses of him being a natural scorer (those games where demar was out)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Lonnie and I hope he pans out but he's proven to be a mental midget as a basketball player. Hope he figures it out soon because he has the tools.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn people already turning on waker after begging and begging them to start him.

Dude's in his second full year with the team, he's still raw but is developing. Dudes has developed so much from last year.

stop ing, and let him develop. maybe after the 3 year than start complaing and ing, you weakass es.

this ^

if GM's listened to these armchair experts - spurs would have zero les!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the first time he’s getting consistent minutes in his career. He’s already gotten better at shooting 3’s and not being afraid to shoot them. He’s green but he’ll continue to improve he already has improved

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lonnie is going through a lot and to be honest he is going to have to fight through a lot of demons to reach his true potential. I think him coming out that he was a victim of abuse at a young age has impacted him probably more then most could ever understand. You add his knee injuries just adds more complexity to him finding a good place within himself. He has a long journey and it is going to take years for him to work on himself but I wish him the best and just want him to try and find peace in the journey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a boarder line rookie type at this stage. And now he’s playing with an awkward lineup of vets on contract and other young guys looking for playing time. I’ll assume he continues to get better gradually over the course of this year and will make the proper jump next year just like Dejounte this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you draft guys with high potential like Luka and Keldon you really need to give them a minimum of 3 years before you try to give up on them. In all honesty it’s probably 3-5 years especially these young kids coming in at 18 or 19 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker is a late first rounder thrust into a starting role on a team that badly, badly needs a scoring punch. He's better suited coming off the bench and cannot live up to the team's needs right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you draft guys with high potential like Luka and Keldon you really need to give them...
    Competent coaching.

Which the Spurs lack at this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans expect so much that our high picks would end up like another Tony or Manu. But TP and Manu were lucky they had DRob, Timmy that took all the pressures away and let them play in their comfort zone. Our current roster doesn’t have that, not enough to win games, and so we start looking from Keldon, DJ, Lonnie, and what fans want to believe that they could be the steal of the draft. I’m equally guilty, and so becomes frustrated when they don’t live to our high expectations, especially when they are forced to start playing outside of their character to get the win. Personally I’ll try to learn to lower my expectations and accept that it takes time. I’d be happy if they win, but I cannot be so disappointed if they lose. GSG!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think he is overrated. I haven’t seen anybody say he is a great player on this board or any place else.

I will say his inconsistency and timidity is very disappointing for someone with the physical ability he possesses though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its call being Patience, something that most of the folks here don't know about. Lonnie wasn't a top 5 pick, he was late teens pick. Its gone take time and patiences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walkers issue is that he has no fire. Most of the time, he just drifts around, and when he gets the ball, he always hesitates, because he seems to woolgather, and not be aware of where everyone is on the floor. If Devin is considered to have high processor speed, Lonnie’s issue is low processor speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just agreeing to all the BUTS expressed about LWIV... such as talented & athletic BUT weak & timid. Also, I agree he has some problems from his past, haircut notwithstanding, but if he needs to get his together, take an unpaid sabbatical and get some help. If he wants to keep the millions he’s getting paid, then suck it up buttercup and play ball with some fire in your belly.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think he is overrated. I haven’t seen anybody say he is a great player on this board or any place else.

I will say his inconsistency and timidity is very disappointing for someone with the physical ability he possesses though.
    I might be getting some of this wrong but I am pretty sure I have seen several here say that he was a future all star. Some will put potential or something else by it but I have seen others that dont. I have seen many that wanted to trade DJm this summer over him saying he was much better. Now that this season has started most have pulled away from that but people were still overstating how good lonnie was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might be getting some of this wrong but I am pretty sure I have seen several here say that he was a future all star. Some will put potential or something else by it but I have seen others that dont. I have seen many that wanted to trade DJm this summer over him saying he was much better. Now that this season has started most have pulled away from that but people were still overstating how good lonnie was.
    There were many on this board proclaiming him the next D Wade now its looking like he may be the odd man out depending on what this off season holds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still believe he can become an All-Star, maybe even a franchise player. He just has a high ceiling. The good thing about his timid play might be that we can extend him for cheap, then give him more responsibility once the vets are gone. That seems to be ideal

Thread Information