Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much off this thread is "why won't the spurs rebuild as fast as i want".

The team was built around derozan and this draft will be the first post all star talent we have. We'll find out how much they really like murray.

This team can tank plenty next year. If our b and c players upgrade year by year then there's no urgency. The team has the most to lose from mediocracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dallas has a 22 year old putting up 28points 9 assists and 8 rebounds.
    NO has a 20 year old giving them 26 points on 62% shooting. They are even starting to play him now as a point forward and he put up 28, 15, and 8 on his first try in a win.
    Memphis has a young stud in Ja Morant and even with their second best player injured all year, they have a better record than us.
    We better hope that Houston chooses the wrong guy in the draft and he is a bust (which is totally possible) bc if they get another young star like everyone besides the Spurs have, that puts us in the bottom future wise going forward.

We have a buncha c and B- players going forward. Spurs fans be wearing shades with how bright our future is going forward once we draft Devin Vassell 0.2 in this year's draft.
    This is such a stupid, spur-of-the-moment way to look at things, and it's really pervasive here in SpursTalk, perhaps because it allows posters to continue ting on the team.

Yes, Dallas has a franchise player in Doncic. Zion's looking mighty good. Ja is great as well (though I'm lower on him than Luka/Zion). There's other franchises you haven't named, like Atlanta, that also have more promising-looking players than are on the Spurs' roster right now. But how did those franchises come to get those players? How many years of sucking, whiffing on prospects, blatant tanking, or flat-out sucking did it take for those teams to get those players? Dallas hasn't done in the playoffs since '11, and had to wait out Dirk's twilight years before taking to the bottom (and getting extremely lucky with stupid FOs in ATL, PHX and SAC) to draft Luka. But at least they managed to win a le with their last star.... Pelicans and Grizzlies have been sucking ever since their inception. Between both teams, they literally only have 1 DIVISION le, Pels' from 2008, after which it's been losing season after losing season, even after getting a franchise talent in AD.

Stop looking at the small picture. The Spurs were winning les more recently than some of these ty teams were making the playoffs! We're riding Pop's twilight years now. For worse or worse-r, he's earned the right to retire in his own terms, and the FO/ownership clearly agrees. Once he's gone, we'll maybe suck, draft higher, and see what comes of it. The sky isn't falling because we don't have that talent right this second - what's the hurry? Teams draft high-level prospects every year, and incompetent FOs squander away those opportunities every year as well. It's incredibly stupid to say X or Y team has an outright better future than the Spurs (which is my entire gripe with this thread, not with you particularly, my guy) just because they have a better talent on their team, because it takes SO MUCH MORE than that single talent to actually win a championship, which is every team's end goal at the end of the day, not talent ac ulation.

Once again: the Spurs have won les more recently than any of these teams that "has a better future" and, contrary to popular belief, it was not due to top-end star talent alone, or even mainly (especially given a le run as special and collective as '14). And due to this, I feel confident in saying the Spurs have a better chance of ringing again before these other teams, too. Stop being preys of the moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is such a stupid, spur-of-the-moment way to look at things, and it's really pervasive here in SpursTalk, perhaps because it allows posters to continue ting on the team.

Yes, Dallas has a franchise player in Doncic. Zion's looking mighty good. Ja is great as well (though I'm lower on him than Luka/Zion). There's other franchises you haven't named, like Atlanta, that also have more promising-looking players than are on the Spurs' roster right now. But how did those franchises come to get those players? How many years of sucking, whiffing on prospects, blatant tanking, or flat-out sucking did it take for those teams to get those players? Dallas hasn't done in the playoffs since '11, and had to wait out Dirk's twilight years before taking to the bottom (and getting extremely lucky with stupid FOs in ATL, PHX and SAC) to draft Luka. But at least they managed to win a le with their last star.... Pelicans and Grizzlies have been sucking ever since their inception. Between both teams, they literally only have 1 DIVISION le, Pels' from 2008, after which it's been losing season after losing season, even after getting a franchise talent in AD.

Stop looking at the small picture. The Spurs were winning les more recently than some of these ty teams were making the playoffs! We're riding Pop's twilight years now. For worse or worse-r, he's earned the right to retire in his own terms, and the FO/ownership clearly agrees. Once he's gone, we'll maybe suck, draft higher, and see what comes of it. The sky isn't falling because we don't have that talent right this second - what's the hurry? Teams draft high-level prospects every year, and incompetent FOs squander away those opportunities every year as well. It's incredibly stupid to say X or Y team has an outright better future than the Spurs (which is my entire gripe with this thread, not with you particularly, my guy) just because they have a better talent on their team, because it takes SO MUCH MORE than that single talent to actually win a championship, which is every team's end goal at the end of the day, not talent ac ulation.

Once again: the Spurs have won les more recently than any of these teams that "has a better future" and, contrary to popular belief, it was not due to top-end star talent alone, or even mainly (especially given a le run as special and collective as '14). And due to this, I feel confident in saying the Spurs have a better chance of ringing again before these other teams, too. Stop being preys of the moment.
    This post rivals that Jeff McDonald tweet where he said something like “the Spurs have won enough, let someone else have their turn.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did you even look at the name of the thread you are posting in? C'mon Sugus don't be THAT guy
    And yes it was due to top talent alone. We had the greatest player of all time at his postion. We had Kawhi who played at an MVP level. We haven't done once we lost these two people. Your counterpoint in a thread about the future of our division is to bring up stuff from 2014? Might as well have brought up the 99 championship too while you are at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still maintain that those teams will probably it up. Dallas was allegedly supposed to be le contenders this year and can't even make it into the playoffs without a play in game. Memphis has a lot of talent, but same . Ja is great, but what happens is Ja bolts? Houston doesn't have a brighter future and somehow managed to make every single wrong move for years in order to ruin a team that had a top 3 player. NOLA has Zion who is good, but they haven't proven either.

I would 100% want to have Luka, Zion or Ja on this team. They are all really good prospects. But I also expect those teams except Dallas to it up. Cuban knows how to keep a star, so I think they'll be fine eventually, but people have been singing Memphis praises for years and they have yet to even make the playoffs. NOLA has a track history with transcendent bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still maintain that those teams will probably it up. Dallas was allegedly supposed to be le contenders this year and can't even make it into the playoffs without a play in game. Memphis has a lot of talent, but same . Ja is great, but what happens is Ja bolts? Houston doesn't have a brighter future and somehow managed to make every single wrong move for years in order to ruin a team that had a top 3 player. NOLA has Zion who is good, but they haven't proven either.

I would 100% want to have Luka, Zion or Ja on this team. They are all really good prospects. But I also expect those teams except Dallas to it up. Cuban knows how to keep a star, so I think they'll be fine eventually, but people have been singing Memphis praises for years and they have yet to even make the playoffs. NOLA has a track history with transcendent bigs.
    Red is SO salty about NOLA trading him, and implied that there is anger towards the FO in their locker room. They’ll implode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh I agree that they will it up. All of them are ty organizations with ty mistakes on their resume. Houston is unproven everywhere and for all I know, sucks everywhere. From owner to GM to Coach to Players.

Dallas has a history of ing up franchise players. Like if Dirk didn't go god-mode in 2011, Cuban would have zero rings with an all-time great. Carlisle is a good coach but the GM hasn't really proven to be good at anything other than being smarter than Atlanta. Trading all those 1st rounders for Porzingas was at the time/ and still today, a dumb move. Luka isn't going to win in Dallas, but he will make a few WCFs before he leaves them at age 28.

NO has so many issues that I don't even know where to start. Tbh this makes me respect Chris Paul a heck of a lot more The dude is the Larry Brown of players where he will turn perennial losers into playoff teams. But the owner is cheap, the fans are fickle, had the wrong GM several times, and the wrong coach as well. Can David Griffin turn it around? Idk. Hiring Stan Van Gundy was a weird choice to me and I don't have much faith in him as a coach. More than likely, Stan won't work out and Zion will be wasted. Zion will get an injury bc that's what happens to players in NO, they get injured for some reason. I hope that Zion turns down his extension and goes to a contender tbh bc he isn't going to win in NO.

Memphis is another badly run organization that has hired John Hollinger before. How stupid is that. They fire good coaches, are always injured, and never make any splashes in free agency. Ja is going to get zero help in Memphis unless JJJ turns into an all-star or they draft a miracle player with like the 16th pick bc they won't pay for anybody good.

Spurs always had the advantage in players, coaches, GM, and owner. Now I feel like we are like Houston. A buncha unproven people who are potentially going to run the whole show once Pop retires. So for my man Suggs, that is what really scares me. It's not just that we don't have talent on the court. It's that we don't have talent in any part of the organization. Owner-unproven (and potentially an F bc they really pissed off Timvp with the Golden St trade), GM-unproven but has made a ton of mistakes, Coach (all-time the 3rd greatest) but ranges alot and seems more on the C- side than not. And once he retires (this year?) our coach will be unproven, and all of our young players are unproven as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you even look at the name of the thread you are posting in? C'mon Sugus don't be THAT guy
    And yes it was due to top talent alone. We had the greatest player of all time at his postion. We had Kawhi who played at an MVP level. We haven't done once we lost these two people. Your counterpoint in a thread about the future of our division is to bring up stuff from 2014? Might as well have brought up the 99 championship too while you are at it.
    Of course I did, I've posted in here many times before, saying the same thing. I disagree with the premise of the thread.

It was due to the combination of top talent, and the ability to make the most of it. I'm saying that teams who might now look to have the more promising future due to just the existence of top end talent, doesn't mean they necessarily have the better odds of winning a le, or being a contending team, in the "far far future" (as stated by the OP as being the point of the thread - again, not the "right now"). That's what I'm saying. Those teams and the Spurs are in different parts of their rebuilds, we still have a few years of waiting out to do, whether fans like it or not (unless Pop decides to retire , which imo isn't too likely).

I'll say though, that my post was worded unnecessarily impolitely and absolute-ist. I woke up to some bad news and was not on best behavior, I apologize my guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I agree that they will it up. All of them are ty organizations with ty mistakes on their resume. Houston is unproven everywhere and for all I know, sucks everywhere. From owner to GM to Coach to Players.
    Then why imply they have the better future in the "far far future", tbh? Raw talent alone is worth jack in the hands of owners or FOs unable to build around them. It's also why it's so naive to say Timmy would have won 6+ rings in another organization - even if he alone had the talent to do it.

Spurs always had the advantage in players, coaches, GM, and owner. Now I feel like we are like Houston. A buncha unproven people who are potentially going to run the whole show once Pop retires. So for my man Suggs, that is what really scares me. It's not just that we don't have talent on the court. It's that we don't have talent in any part of the organization. Owner-unproven (and potentially an F bc they really pissed off Timvp with the Golden St trade), GM-unproven but has made a ton of mistakes, Coach (all-time the 3rd greatest) but ranges alot and seems more on the C- side than not. And once he retires (this year?) our coach will be unproven, and all of our young players are unproven as well.[/QUOTE]

I see, that's a better argument than the other team's talent's one. I can agree with that. I think the Spurs still have a better caliber player development program, and drafting departments, than their compe ion, which shows itself in that the Spurs' picks have by and large overproduced as compared to their drafting positions, especially the really late picks. That alone gives them a big edge - and it's a part of why I say you can't just look at it "right now" to say the Spurs have the worse future. They can tank next season (rumored to be another loaded class), get their #1 guy, and have already the ability of surrounding him with a very good group of young, two-way supporting cast. Suddenly the Spurs are genius... Or so we (I at least) hope, tbh. I'm feeling pretty good about the odds of winning the lottery after watching the Pels' #1 pick after losing AD

The coaches and FO could come and go, I'm not too sold on either Wright or Coach Becky to argue for them. But those are not the entire Spurs organization, there's a lot more people that make this a competent organization and again, as much as they're trashed in this forum, and all trolling aside, they've managed to do pretty well given the ty cir stances of recent years and having to recover from Nephew's departure, which we're still feeling the ripples of with the LMA . That's why I'm higher on the Spurs' future than say, the Mavs', even if they have Luka on their team right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then why imply they have the better future in the "far far future", tbh? Raw talent alone is worth jack in the hands of owners or FOs unable to build around them. It's also why it's so naive to say Timmy would have won 6+ rings in another organization - even if he alone had the talent to do it.

Spurs always had the advantage in players, coaches, GM, and owner. Now I feel like we are like Houston. A buncha unproven people who are potentially going to run the whole show once Pop retires. So for my man Suggs, that is what really scares me. It's not just that we don't have talent on the court. It's that we don't have talent in any part of the organization. Owner-unproven (and potentially an F bc they really pissed off Timvp with the Golden St trade), GM-unproven but has made a ton of mistakes, Coach (all-time the 3rd greatest) but ranges alot and seems more on the C- side than not. And once he retires (this year?) our coach will be unproven, and all of our young players are unproven as well.
    I see, that's a better argument than the other team's talent's one. I can agree with that. I think the Spurs still have a better caliber player development program, and drafting departments, than their compe ion, which shows itself in that the Spurs' picks have by and large overproduced as compared to their drafting positions, especially the really late picks. That alone gives them a big edge - and it's a part of why I say you can't just look at it "right now" to say the Spurs have the worse future. They can tank next season (rumored to be another loaded class), get their #1 guy, and have already the ability of surrounding him with a very good group of young, two-way supporting cast. Suddenly the Spurs are genius... Or so we (I at least) hope, tbh. I'm feeling pretty good about the odds of winning the lottery after watching the Pels' #1 pick after losing AD

The coaches and FO could come and go, I'm not too sold on either Wright or Coach Becky to argue for them. But those are not the entire Spurs organization, there's a lot more people that make this a competent organization and again, as much as they're trashed in this forum, and all trolling aside, they've managed to do pretty well given the ty cir stances of recent years and having to recover from Nephew's departure, which we're still feeling the ripples of with the LMA . That's why I'm higher on the Spurs' future than say, the Mavs', even if they have Luka on their team right now.[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry that you had bad news on your end. That's never any fun waking up to that.

I think we are going to win the lottery as well. I feel like we are due, or at the very least we get a Top 3 pick and some dumbass teams take a Lonzo and Fultz instead of a Jayson Tatum. Karma for all the times the league (Stern) screwed us over.

I just think continuity is the way to go. I know it's a rare thing to have all at once and we had lightning in a bottle for 2 decades, but after watching us butcher David Robinson's career (early on) I know how important good GMs and coaching is on players. It's why I'm so worried bc we could very easily go back to those ways. Most people don't remember Robinson having 6 coaches in 5 years and all the chaos and tyness that was the Spurs ownership. They just know the glory days and assume it will always be that way.

btw Idgaf that we are losing and I'm all for Pop going after the record, but could we atleast CLOSE out games with our youth instead of our vets??

GOATS of a feather the golden era's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I Think this is the correct take. I am much higher on our talent that most obviously. Granted, there is no generational talent on the roster, but we are already compe ive and will be so moving forward in my estimation. Vassel will be better next year, and you add in a possible additional lottery talent, the roster looks real good. There is a reason we have stood firm on our in house talent, I trust our process. I doubt we make much wave in free agency, but that is our history. LMA being the biggest fish, and leaving a bit of a foul test in our mouths probably points to no other big fish for a while, even if we were contenders. My only gripe this year has been not playing Luka more consistently, as he is part of this group and with the direction of the team deserves more minutes than Rudy really.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry that you had bad news on your end. That's never any fun waking up to that.

I think we are going to win the lottery as well. I feel like we are due, or at the very least we get a Top 3 pick and some dumbass teams take a Lonzo and Fultz instead of a Jayson Tatum. Karma for all the times the league (Stern) screwed us over.

I just think continuity is the way to go. I know it's a rare thing to have all at once and we had lightning in a bottle for 2 decades, but after watching us butcher David Robinson's career (early on) I know how important good GMs and coaching is on players. It's why I'm so worried bc we could very easily go back to those ways. Most people don't remember Robinson having 6 coaches in 5 years and all the chaos and tyness that was the Spurs ownership. They just know the glory days and assume it will always be that way.

btw Idgaf that we are losing and I'm all for Pop going after the record, but could we atleast CLOSE out games with our youth instead of our vets??
    Thanks my guy. Yeah, I'm sorry I was "that guy" for a hot sec - again, the vitriol wasn't @ you directly, but that view of "top talent alone is the only thing that makes a team's future better" really irks me for a lot of reasons, and it's somehow really prevalent in ST.

Agree on all counts, tbh, we think alike in those terms. I definitely value continuity on the roster, especially in regards to the young guys (which is partially because, despite wanting the FO to sell high on Dejounte this off-season, I'm torn up about it due to the effect it'd have in the locker room). As for the FO quality, well, that's just not something me or you can control, so I choose not to worry about it for the time being. For all the "mistakes" Wright has supposedly made so far, none of them have turned out to be catastrophic or near it (I'm talking Vlade picking Bagley over Doncic, "catastrophic", now that's a move that sets a team back decades, unlike ST hyperbole). I too have my doubts in terms of the FO's ability to eventually build around a superstar talent, despite not having lived through those Robinson "dark days" - but at the point where we have that superstar, it's probable that at least two of Pop, Wright, or RC are no longer on the Spurs - so I'm not particularly worried about that at this moment. It's the same as the coaching... I don't really trust Becky to be a top-tier coach in the league, but as far as coaching a rebuilding team for the time being, she should be just fine tbh.

As for closing out games with the veterans, that's just as inexplicable to me as it is to you. It's so bothersome to think that Pop will wait until just the moment where we slip mathematically out of the playoff pictures to actually sit the vets and play the youngings 20-30MPG..... Some games, it really does look like he's stealth-tanking but we know better. He's just way past his time tbh, which is exactly why I don't -yet- bother too much with the future of our FO/coaching: the next "great Spurs" in terms of both players and coach/executives, are more than likely not on the team yet. I'll personally leave my cliffjumping for the "far, far future" as OP noted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Think this is the correct take. I am much higher on our talent that most obviously. Granted, there is no generational talent on the roster, but we are already compe ive and will be so moving forward in my estimation. Vassel will be better next year, and you add in a possible additional lottery talent, the roster looks real good. There is a reason we have stood firm on our in house talent, I trust our process. I doubt we make much wave in free agency, but that is our history. LMA being the biggest fish, and leaving a bit of a foul test in our mouths probably points to no other big fish for a while, even if we were contenders. My only gripe this year has been not playing Luka more consistently, as he is part of this group and with the direction of the team deserves more minutes than Rudy really.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm high on some of our talent too - yet the question of "To tank, or not to tank" is really tough to answer: I can see both sides of the coin. Ideally, I'd love to do a soft-tank of one year following Pop's retirement (maybe next season?), get that #1 guy, and then you already have a supporting young core cast to build around him. But it's hardly as easy to do as it is to say.

And yeah, that's the argument I'm trying to make - the Spurs are already in the rebuilding process, whether fans want to see it or not. The multiple instances where the Spurs could load up on short-term talent to make playoff runs, but didn't, is proof enough; posters can say, with reason, that they should've shipped out the vets for minor assets. I think the FO simply saw the value the vets bring to the team right now in terms of experience, leadership, and "winning ways" (and yes, I puked in my mouth a little bit writing that, don't quote me on it ) outweighs those minor assets that could be had by just tearing the team down. I'm not saying that's the "right call", but it's clearly the direction the FO sees as correct for the time being.

Luka's playing time has too been a grip for me this season... It feels like the Lonnie situation all over again, I even find myself making the same comments I was making last season in regards to that. No excuse from Pop on that - especially in a game like yesterday's against the Magic: we were up 20+ IN THE FIRST QUARTER!! How do you not even give the kid a chance until 6m left in the fourth?!?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Your counterpoint in a thread about the future of our division is to bring up stuff from 2014? Might as well have brought up the 99 championship too while you are at it.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yes, Dallas has a franchise player in Doncic. Zion's looking mighty good. Ja is great as well (though I'm lower on him than Luka/Zion).
    you're catching on, it only took you three months

mavs have luka
    griz have ja
    pels have zion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I look sideways at anything the Mavies do given my proximity and dislike of that team. Cuban could not keep multiple s e X u a l harassers out of his front office for over 20 years. He literally had to hire a female team president for optics. Why did Cubes get to stay an owner of that team? Other owners have been drummed out of the league in the recent past. Looking the other way for that long tells me Cubes is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is or he condones the actions of his 20 year team president Ussary. The official team photographer also did some creepy stuff.

Dirk was in Dallas before Cubey owned the team. The Mavies are one of the few teams to BLOW UP an NBA Championship roster in 2011. The Atlanta Hawks are stupid and that's why they have Luka D. End of story. I don't think Luka D is big on conditioning - he is supremely gifted offensively. A mediocre defender. He may have injury issues long term given the lack of conditioning. Besides Luka, the Dallas roster is not that great. I hate KP as a player. The exceedingly tall guys like that tend to break down very quickly and he has already had major leg injuries.

I think the Spurs have the supporting players right now for a very good team in the near future. They don't have THE GUY yet. That is usually the biggest challenge.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 04-17-2021 at 06:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're catching on, it only took you three months
    I'm still waiting for you to catch up to the fact that the Spurs are on a completely different point of their rebuild than those other teams, and can/will draft a similar franchise talent given the years-of-sucking that those other franchises endured too, given they have all their picks and an excellent drafting department... How many months has it been, now?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    sugus mentioned how it takes more than single talent to win it all... yeah, it does... but the spurs don't even have that. talent is the most important factor too.

d white isn't a #1 option and neither is murray.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    the spurs don't even have some solid core either.

and dear god if they resign demar...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    This guy has no clue why people are excited about the team because he doesn't even watch the ing games. People should stop paying attention to this moron.
    It’s time to close this thread
    Should have been closed the moment it was posted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom Line Up Front:

1. FO is a farce and has been for four plus years
    2. HOF Coach is semi-retired
    3. Too many wings and not enough size or shooting
    4. There seems to be no plan to address at least 1-3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom Line Up Front:

1. FO is a farce and has been for four plus years
    2. HOF Coach is semi-retired
    3. Too many wings and not enough size or shooting
    4. There seems to be no plan to address at least 1-3
    welcome to pops world

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We really have come down to bumping this thread after every loss, huh? None other than OP himself too bumping his own thread, after saying by his own word that it was about the "far far future" and not the immediate results, when confronted about a moving goalpost...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    We really have come down to bumping this thread after every loss, huh? None other than OP himself too bumping his own thread, after saying by his own word that it was about the "far far future" and not the immediate results, when confronted about a moving goalpost...
    just keep acting like i didn't already tell you this:
    this thread is about the future.

i'm bumping it now because despite the spurs trying their best this season, they're almost behind the mavs and grizzlies in the standings. that's how bad things are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sugus mentioned how it takes more than single talent to win it all... yeah, it does... but the spurs don't even have that. talent is the most important factor too.

d white isn't a #1 option and neither is murray.
    „but they are all good character guys. That’s what matters most“

Thread Information