Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have the 6th worst record in the league and we are out punching our weight class? It's nice that we are having close games, but this is the NBA unless you reeeally suck then you are going to be in a buncha close games. People didn't pay attention to that fact when we were winning in the Big 3 era but we had a buncha close games. Teams don't scout us or give aa flying flip about us so they mail it in until they have to actually try. We are an easy w. There aare many positives about the season besides record and I agree with a lot of them. But we aren't better than our record
    I was agreeing with you but now I’m not clear on what you are b!tching about. I think our record is appropriate but I expected it to be worse; we should be closer to the Pistons/Magic given our level of talent. At least our guys are playing hard, morale remains level with a lottery pick on deck.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-25-2022 at 04:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was agreeing with you but now I’m not clear on what you are b!tching about. I think our record is appropriate but I expected it to be worse; we should be closer to the Pistons/Magic given our level of talent. At least our guys are playing hard, morale remains level with a lottery pick on deck.
    Tough day. I guess I was ing just to

Things I like from our team recently is we are shooting the 3 ball finally. For the most part our guys play hard. DJ has been a great watch all season. We got rid of Forbes finally! Primo played. Vassell looks nice. And lastly maybe a team is actually willing to trade with us and we accept?

This season hasn’t been a hard one to watch tbh. It’s been a lot of fun. Frustrating to see them lose but at least we are finally playing to all our strengths. Just need 9 more for Pop and that’s good enough for me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough day. I guess I was ing just to

Things I like from our team recently is we are shooting the 3 ball finally. For the most part our guys play hard. DJ has been a great watch all season. We got rid of Forbes finally! Primo played. Vassell looks nice. And lastly maybe a team is actually willing to trade with us and we accept?

This season hasn’t been a hard one to watch tbh. It’s been a lot of fun. Frustrating to see them lose but at least we are finally playing to all our strengths. Just need 9 more for Pop and that’s good enough for me
    haha I agree with all of this homie!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think we're a bit better than the record suggests we are, but not much. I definitely don't think this team is a .500 team. DEFINITELY don't think they're top 5 in the west (I mean what the ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems clear there is only one All-Star level on the roster, which is Murray, and barely any plus players after him. Poeltl is very good, but limited, more of a good anchor than who can swing games. I feel like we've seen the best from White already, Keldon is incredibly limited, Walker is meh, and Vassell is dubious in my mind. I doubt he'll become the dynamic force some project him to be. Primo is the only one who might get to where Murray is right now and the question is keeping Murray long-term.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't view the point differential as an indication that they're close to being a solid team, more like they're a clear step above the terrible teams. But that's not an accomplishment because those teams either have or at likelier to have higher ceiling young talent + extra picks going forward.

Meanwhile, the closest thing they have to a star can't manufacture efficient offense, virtually no on outside of him can create it period and their supposed defensive potential hasn't come to pass because they're too small and still forced to play designated shooters who are defensive liabilities in outsized roles because of the inability of their core to space the floor.

It seems clear there is only one All-Star level on the roster, which is Murray, and barely any plus players after him. Poeltl is very good, but limited, more of a good anchor than who can swing games. I feel like we've seen the best from White already, Keldon is incredibly limited, Walker is meh, and Vassell is dubious in my mind. I doubt he'll become the dynamic force some project him to be. Primo is the only one who might get to where Murray is right now and the question is keeping Murray long-term.
    White, Poeltl and arguably Murray have graduated to young veterans, while Walker IV is a replacement player.

That leaves Johnson, Vassell, Primo and maybe Collins who qualify as notable youth.

They only have three legit starters (obviously Murray, White, Poeltl) and three other surefire rotation players (Vassell, Johnson, McDermott) period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't view the point differential as an indication that they're close to being a solid team, more like they're a clear step above the terrible teams. But that's not an accomplishment because those teams either have or at likelier to have higher ceiling young talent + extra picks going forward.

Meanwhile, the closest thing they have to a star can't manufacture efficient offense, virtually no on outside of him can create it period and their supposed defensive potential hasn't come to pass because they're too small and still forced to play designated shooters who are defensive liabilities in outsized roles because of the inability of their core to space the floor.

White, Poeltl and arguably Murray have graduated to young veterans, while Walker IV is a replacement player.

That leaves Johnson, Vassell, Primo and maybe Collins who qualify as notable youth.

They only have three legit starters (obviously Murray, White, Poeltl) and three other surefire rotation players (Vassell, Johnson, McDermott) period.

Pretty good analysis gents. Honestly. So what do we do about it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty good analysis gents. Honestly. So what do we do about it?
    At this point, I don't think there is much to do. Of course they should be amendable to trading White, Poeltl and even Murray, but I doubt they'd find a trade they perceive to be worth their while and it's not like the team is too good with them to not have at least a decent chance at a top few pick, so as ever expect inertia to win out.

Get a projected near immediate offensive centerpiece like Banchero, have Primo and Collins upgrade the replacement level play of Walker IV and the backup center carousel and they could be firmly in the middle class with upward mobility in short order.

Don't and they'll be spinning their wheels until they luck into that piece. Their bet seems to be that it'll happen developmentally, a la Parker, S bag and to a lesser extent Murray.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    spurs can't win and the spurs can't tank, they're stuck.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    what's worse is the spurs aren't stuck as pretender, they aren't one piece away. they're stuck in the worst place to be stuck in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking through the Grizz’s cap situation if they can salary dump Steven Adam’s final year ~18mm in 22/23 they should have about 45mm in cap this offseason (assuming they let Kyle Anderson walk). They own all their own FRPs and 3 future FRPs from Utah 22, LAL 22 and GS 24. That Lakers pick would easily be the 11th of 12th.

Top 3 team in the West with 3, 2022 FRP’s and tons of cap. Scary.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Looking through the Grizz’s cap situation if they can salary dump Steven Adam’s final year ~18mm in 22/23 they should have about 45mm in cap this offseason (assuming they let Kyle Anderson walk). They own all their own FRPs and 3 future FRPs from Utah 22, LAL 22 and GS 24. That Lakers pick would easily be the 11th of 12th.

Top 3 team in the West with 3, 2022 FRP’s and tons of cap. Scary.
    ja has been great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did the Rockets not manage to get anything for Gordon?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    this thread may no longer be true, this thread was always about executing trades & acquiring picks, and that's what what the spurs did.

with that being said, i haven't had time to go over the players & picks the spurs got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thread may no longer be true, this thread was always about executing trades & acquiring picks, and that's what what the spurs did.

with that being said, i haven't had time to go over the players & picks the spurs got.
    Your esteemed analysis is awaited with bated breath.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Your esteemed analysis is awaited with bated breath.
    very true, someone in the another thread wanted me to bump this one.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i would still rather be the grizz or mavs. or pelicans (with a healthy zion, obviously).

rockets gonna have a nice, high draft pick and a huge expiring contract next season.

i also think murray will still want out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see what they can do with this year's draft pick. It will top 5 and they can use their other picks and perhaps poetl or KJ to move even higher. That's the Spur's chance to draft that game changing talent they need. Trading White ensured they finish the season with the worst record possible while adding draft assets. Correct strategy.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    spurs also haven’t been great at drafting.

hopefully they consolidate some picks for bradley beal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HOU have the worst for sure. Passing on Mobley for Green is some Kangz level franchise killer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs also haven’t been great at drafting.

hopefully they consolidate some picks for bradley beal.
    Beal is a 6ft4 sg that hasn't shot well for two years. He also couldn't lead his team to the play in despite having a 10-3 start. I don't get the love for Beal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beal is a 6ft4 sg that hasn't shot well for two years. He also couldn't lead his team to the play in despite having a 10-3 start. I don't get the love for Beal.
    If I’m Beal, I’m absolutely opting out given there are no free agents on the market. And I hope another team with cap space grabs him so the Spurs can focus elsewhere.

When looking at various teams’ futures, don’t underrate cap flexibility and draft assets going forward:
    • The Porzingis situation absolutely screwed with Dallas, and they had to take back gross contracts like Bertans just to dump him. They’ll have to maneuver (give up draft capital) just to be able to surround Luka with complementary pieces. And their firsts are tied up until the pick to the Knicks conveys (they can always drop protections).
    • Houston is in cap for another year because of Wall, and some of their younger guys will be closer to being extended by the time they have space.
    • Pelicans all hinge on Zion. They’ve made their bed between CJ and Ingram, so won’t have a lot of cap flexibility.
    • Memphis looks great. Good thing this isn’t football where divisions matter!

I agree the Spurs have one sure-fire keeper in Murray, a lot of young guys that can go either way, and only one more year of cheap Poeltl after this. But they also have no bad contracts, and in fact a lot of contracts that are assets. They have three first rounders now besides their own. And they have potentially more cap space than any other team in the offseason. At least 20 GMs in the league would kill to be in the position the Spurs are in right now.
    Last edited by cjw; 02-11-2022 at 09:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I’m Beal, I’m absolutely opting out given there are no free agents on the market. And I hope another team with cap space grabs him so the Spurs can focus elsewhere.

When looking at various teams’ futures, don’t underrate cap flexibility and draft assets going forward:
    • The Porzingis situation absolutely screwed with Dallas, and they had to take back gross contracts like Bertans just to dump him. They’ll have to maneuver (give up draft capital) just to be able to surround Luka with complementary pieces. And their firsts are tied up until the pick to the Knicks conveys (they can always drop protections).
    • Houston is in cap for another year because of Wall, and some of their younger guys will be closer to being extended by the time they have space.
    • Pelicans all hinge on Zion. They’ve made their bed between CJ and Ingram, so won’t have a lot of cap flexibility.
    • Memphis looks great. Good thing this isn’t football where divisions matter!

I agree the Spurs have one sure-fire keeper in Murray, a lot of young guys that can go either way, and only one more year of cheap Poeltl after this. But they also have no bad contracts, and in fact a lot of contracts that are assets. They have three first rounders now besides their own. And they have potentially more cap space than any other team in the offseason. At least 20 GMs in the league would kill to be in the position the Spurs are in right now.
    Yes in terms of draft capital, young players and cap space we have alot going for us.

Why i’m most hopeful now is that there seems to finally be a much needed shift in PATFO’s strategy. Brian Wright’s chas y belt has been removed.
    Last edited by KingKev; 02-11-2022 at 10:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WE STAAAAACKED (with picks)

Thread Information