Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh my bad. Looked it up and shaq straight up signed. I for some reason thought he forced a sign and trade.

As for bottoming out, lakers only had one real bottom out ever and that’s Kobe’s doing. All the other times the lakers got back before bottoming out because stars force their way there or they get some incredibly advantageous trades.
    There was another bad patch, post Magic, pre Shaq/Kobe of four or five years. In the time the Spurs have been in the NBA, the Lakers have missed the playoffs more than we have. I think a lot of the shine has come off their brand. They have missed the playoffs seven of the last ten years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread seemed like the best place for this

lol rockets
    Drew was feeling himself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was another bad patch, post Magic, pre Shaq/Kobe of four or five years. In the time the Spurs have been in the NBA, the Lakers have missed the playoffs more than we have. I think a lot of the shine has come off their brand. They have missed the playoffs seven of the last ten years.
    The post magic spell wasn’t that bad. They barely missed the playoffs once and was middle tier low end playoff team the rest of the way. It’s purgatory for sure but ain’t bottoming out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The post magic spell wasn’t that bad. They barely missed the playoffs once and was middle tier low end playoff team the rest of the way. It’s purgatory for sure but ain’t bottoming out.
    It was for Showtime. Dell Harris lost his job over it, and the fans were carrying torches and pitchforks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was for Showtime. Dell Harris lost his job over it, and the fans were carrying torches and pitchforks.
    And they attracted Shaq and Kobe out of it.

I am not sure what the issues were the last few years, perhaps with an increasingly digital world players no longer feel they need to be in LA to make it into the entertainment industry. But the lifestyle, opportunities to be seen, the glamour is still unmatched in another NBA city, or any North American city, period.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelicans with terrible loss to a team that was a year or two away from trying. Would love to see Thunder rip through the Wolves as well and put them out of their misery (also get that Thunder pick out of the lottery!)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelicans with terrible loss to a team that was a year or two away from trying. Would love to see Thunder rip through the Wolves as well and put them out of their misery (also get that Thunder pick out of the lottery!)
    Yeah, but the problem with that is that it gives Utah TWO lottery picks, their own and Minny’s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they attracted Shaq and Kobe out of it.

I am not sure what the issues were the last few years, perhaps with an increasingly digital world players no longer feel they need to be in LA to make it into the entertainment industry. But the lifestyle, opportunities to be seen, the glamour is still unmatched in another NBA city, or any North American city, period.
    Super teams. LA never had the money for a top 3rd player, and LeBron ran off their draft picks, BI, Julius, and DLo who later becomes All Stars so that he could bring in his friends, who were either old or fragile.

The lakers became irrelevant in the decade of super teams.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but the problem with that is that it gives Utah TWO lottery picks, their own and Minny’s.
    Another potential trade partner because Utah will have three first round picks this year.
    Spurs should move on one of those lottery picks in a trade with that Toronto pick next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheering for Miami over Chicago slightly reduces the ping pong balls that Utah (and possibly New Orleans) can accrue. Difference of a few percent in getting a top four, and slightly under a percent on Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs fine $750k after resting players vs Bulls. The NBA announced the Dallas Mavericks were fined after violating the league's player resting policy and demonstrating through actions and public statements the organization's desire to lose its April 7 game vs. the Chicago Bulls in order to improve the chances of keeping its first-round pick in the 2023 NBA draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related to the future outlook of the CHA pick: The NBA ruled today that Miles Bridges has 10-games left to serve of a suspension related to the felony assault. It was a 30-game suspension, but apparently Bridges magically served 20 of them while not even being under contract, per the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Related to the future outlook of the CHA pick: The NBA ruled today that Miles Bridges has 10-games left to serve of a suspension related to the felony assault. It was a 30-game suspension, but apparently Bridges magically served 20 of them while not even being under contract, per the NBA.
    That doesn't make sense at all. If they were going to consider games as served, why go for 20 as opposed to 15 or 25? Might as well have suspended him for 100 games and give him 82 games served. Would have sent a stronger message from a PR standpoint and in practical terms it'd have ended up being just about the same. And it would have been more logically consistent.

As far as we're concerned, this could make a big difference. A Charlotte team with a healthy Lamelo and Bridges back, plus another year of Mark Williams and hopefully an impactful rookie, should be good enough for a play in spot, and from that point on, a good chance at the playoffs. No. 6 pick outright sounds a little rich right now. This year Brooklyn ended up 6th seed with 8 games above .500, while Atlanta got to the play in in 8th place at exactly .500, which gave them 2 shots at the play in (1 at home), even though they didn't need both.
    Last edited by Ariel; 04-14-2023 at 10:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also pertaining the Spurs future: this offseason is key for the Toronto pick. They've been in the treadmill for a while, and several key players will be free agents: Fred Van Vleet (PO, likely FA), Gary Trent Jr, Poeltl. Plus OG enters the last season of his contract, and he'll either have to be extended (more likely with the increases in the new CBA) or traded. Point being, unless they decide to blow it up and sink to the bottom of the lottery (say 1-5 worst record), if they lose a couple of players via free agency or trade, chances are good that pick will convey in the lottery. I'm hoping someone extends Van Vleet a nice enough offer that he bolts without much of a return, same goes for Gary Trent Jr. They don't have the cap space to replace those players with a top FA, so if that's the case their talent level and depth drop significantly, to where the playoffs would seem like a very unlikely outcome. Lets just hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okc just lost to the timberwolves so no glory for any team in our vicinity unless you drive 7 hours to NO or memphis.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also pertaining the Spurs future: this offseason is key for the Toronto pick. They've been in the treadmill for a while, and several key players will be free agents: Fred Van Vleet (PO, likely FA), Gary Trent Jr, Poeltl. Plus OG enters the last season of his contract, and he'll either have to be extended (more likely with the increases in the new CBA) or traded. Point being, unless they decide to blow it up and sink to the bottom of the lottery (say 1-5 worst record), if they lose a couple of players via free agency or trade, chances are good that pick will convey in the lottery. I'm hoping someone extends Van Vleet a nice enough offer that he bolts without much of a return, same goes for Gary Trent Jr. They don't have the cap space to replace those players with a top FA, so if that's the case their talent level and depth drop significantly, to where the playoffs would seem like a very unlikely outcome. Lets just hope.
    Don't count on it. I'll bet they will be bettter next year than this year. They'll bring back their best players and have a lottery pick to add to it.

Count on next year's Spurs pick from Toronto to not be in the lottery somewhere in the 20's I'm expecting.

I'd rather see the spurs trade that pick for a first round pick from Utah and draft Jalen Hood-Shifino with that pick, get their pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't count on it. I'll bet they will be bettter next year than this year. They'll bring back their best players and have a lottery pick to add to it.

Count on next year's pick to not be in the lottery somewhere in the 20's I'm expecting.
    They ran back everyone from a 6 seed, and fell into the lottery. Their lottery pick has a 93% chance of being #13.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto would have to have a bottom 2 record to have a 100% chance to keep their pick since it is protected 1-6. Any tanking that doesn't get them that low would just be to have a greater chance of jumping into the top 4 (also allowing them to keep the pick), but also giving the Spurs a better pick if the Raptors don't jump into the top 4.

I think they will more likely go the other direction and try as hard as they can to win now. Failing would probably put them around where they are now: late lottery due to losing in the play-in round. That's about as good a scenario as the Spurs can reasonably hope for: an early teens pick that gives Toronto only a very small chance of jumping into the top 4.

If Toronto can manage a top 6 record in the East, or sneak into the playoffs via the play-in, their pick would 100% convey and would likely be in the #17-20 range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto would have to have a bottom 2 record to have a 100% chance to keep their pick since it is protected 1-6. Any tanking that doesn't get them that low would just be to have a greater chance of jumping into the top 4 (also allowing them to keep the pick), but also giving the Spurs a better pick if the Raptors don't jump into the top 4.
    Odds of Toronto's pick conveying per pre-lottery position:
    #
    Conveys
    1 0,00 %
    0,00 %
    7,02 %
    18,93 %
    5 36,05 %
    6 54,15 %
    68,04 %
    73,69 %
    9 79,72 %
    10 86,12 %
    11 90,59 %
    12 92,88 %
    13 95,21 %
    97,59 %
    Playoffs
    100,00 %
    So basically even if they end up #4/#5 there's a realistic chance it conveys, at #6 it's a toss up, and more likely than not from #7 on.
    I think they will more likely go the other direction and try as hard as they can to win now. Failing would probably put them around where they are now: late lottery due to losing in the play-in round. That's about as good a scenario as the Spurs can reasonably hope for: an early teens pick that gives Toronto only a very small chance of jumping into the top 4.
    That's an expensive proposition: Fred Van Vleet is looking for a long term contract at about 30M per year, Gary Trent Jr is looking for 20M-25M, Anunoby is sure to command an extension upwards of 25M, Poeltl is looking for 20M or close, Scottie Barnes will be entering his 3rd season and be extension eligible next year... basically they'd be paying for a contender, for an aging team that proved more than once they're a first round exit at best. They'll have to take a long, hard look and make difficult choices right now, if they run it back it's probably the worst case scenario for them in the long term. I think they ultimately extend Anunoby, re-sign Poeltl, and work out a S&T involving Gary Trent Jr and possibly Van Vleet as well unless he lowers his demands or picks up his PO. Their trade value is low and they'll be over the cap anyways so it's not like they have a lot of leeway to sign free agents, so that should impact their performance in the short term. Not a given, but I could definitely see play out a scenario where we end up with a pick around 8-12.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They ran back everyone from a 6 seed, and fell into the lottery. Their lottery pick has a 93% chance of being #13.
    Still the 13th pick will be a solid player to add to a good core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still the 13th pick will be a solid player to add to a good core.
    That player could be a decent player, but not likely next year. Maybe year three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That player could be a decent player, but not likely next year. Maybe year three.
    If they're set on winning now, they'll take either Hawkins or Gradey . They need shooting in the worst way, and they'd help. Trading one of OG Anunoby / Scottie Barnes for some guard with elite shooting would help. Say Anunoby + filler + picks for Dame, plus a veteran 2/3 who can shoot in a S&T for Van Vleet.
    Dame / Gary Trent Jr / Scottie Barkes / Siakam / Poeltl with Hawkins or off the bench... that's a playoff team (even if barely). But they have to give up something to put it together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they're set on winning now, they'll take either Hawkins or Gradey . They need shooting in the worst way, and they'd help. Trading one of OG Anunoby / Scottie Barnes for some guard with elite shooting would help. Say Anunoby + filler + picks for Dame, plus a veteran 2/3 who can shoot in a S&T for Van Vleet.
    Dame / Gary Trent Jr / Scottie Barkes / Siakam / Poeltl with Hawkins or off the bench... that's a playoff team (even if barely). But they have to give up something to put it together.
    Maybe, but it seems like that has been their path since Kawhi left, and they’ve been on a downward trajectory each year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, but it seems like that has been their path since Kawhi left, and they’ve been on a downward trajectory each year.
    lol those guys were meant to step up after kawhi left, they are what they are...borderline playoff team in the weak east

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question about the Mavs- Did they yank to get a top 10 pick because they want to use it or trade it? Does a rookie really help build around Luka?

Thread Information