Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defensive potential of a team with DJ, White, Keldon, Devin, Luka, and Jakob is really promising. Not sure who you take out for a max-d starting 5, but its a good problem to have. Hard to think out future is bad

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The defensive potential of a team with DJ, White, Keldon, Devin, Luka, and Jakob is really promising. Not sure who you take out for a max-d starting 5, but its a good problem to have. Hard to think out future is bad
    IMO this screams for White to play the Manu role complete with nagging injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs future lineup: DJ 29th pick, Derrick 29th pick, Devin 11th pick, Keldon 29th pick, Luka 19th pick and 6th man Lonnie 18th pick. Spurs 5 years picks, built from within.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thread is getting worse and worse by the day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny, but OP bragged on coming in here often, but he’s on the side of a milk carton for a while now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread will be good for many bumps. No, the Spurs don’t have a top two like Luka/KP, Zion/Ingram or Ja/JJJ. But the depth, flexibility and upside the Spurs trot out is outstanding and should keep them compe ive with those teams. They hit it out of the park on their six first rounders in five consecutive drafts (worst pick being Walker who should be fine as a sixth man) plus the Poeltl trade who’s essentially another draft pick acquired by trade a couple years into his deal.

Spurs also have a ton more flexibility this offseason and still own all of their picks. Some people are acting like a very good, cost-controlled young core plus $50mm in cap space is a bad thing. Are they signing a superstar? No. But they have a lot of other paths to making the team a lot better.

My move would be to scour the league for a team looking to get off a contract and absorb it into cap space (still may have enough left to sign Demar without bird rights) and then also attach LWIV plus the Spurs’ pick to move towards the top of the draft. Essentially reset the clock on that contract and try to get the most upside possible. Hard to do with draft before FA, but that’s why PATFO get paid the big bucks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Set a year man, you have been right a lot of times why not take the risk.
    That is his idea so that 10, 50 years later he could come in and said he foresee it wayyyyyyy before anyone did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny, but OP bragged on coming in here often, but he’s on the side of a milk carton for a while now.
    Oh he's on here alright. Pretty sure he's on his main account posting, "Go Spurs!" and then waiting for consecutive losses to go back to this one to talk trash again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs future lineup: DJ 29th pick, Derrick 29th pick, Devin 11th pick, Keldon 29th pick, Luka 19th pick and 6th man Lonnie 18th pick. Spurs 5 years picks, built from within.
    Tre could also be a good backup if he could sort out his shots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of feel Lonnie is on that "We like him, but we'll risk him in RFA" path that Kyle was on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of feel Lonnie is on that "We like him, but we'll risk him in RFA" path that Kyle was on.
    Unless he takes a discount....I think you're right...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread will be good for many bumps. No, the Spurs don’t have a top two like Luka/KP, Zion/Ingram or Ja/JJJ. But the depth, flexibility and upside the Spurs trot out is outstanding and should keep them compe ive with those teams. They hit it out of the park on their six first rounders in five consecutive drafts (worst pick being Walker who should be fine as a sixth man) plus the Poeltl trade who’s essentially another draft pick acquired by trade a couple years into his deal.

Spurs also have a ton more flexibility this offseason and still own all of their picks. Some people are acting like a very good, cost-controlled young core plus $50mm in cap space is a bad thing. Are they signing a superstar? No. But they have a lot of other paths to making the team a lot better.

My move would be to scour the league for a team looking to get off a contract and absorb it into cap space (still may have enough left to sign Demar without bird rights) and then also attach LWIV plus the Spurs’ pick to move towards the top of the draft. Essentially reset the clock on that contract and try to get the most upside possible. Hard to do with draft before FA, but that’s why PATFO get paid the big bucks.
    I don't think enough people understand this point right here. Also too, we are young, exciting, and we move the ball. It's not far fetched to believe a superstar type player may find that attractive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling Lonnie will be a little more humble about his worth than your typical young upcoming free agent. He's wholesome, has a house in SA, probably thankful for all the things SA has done for him. I think he sees DJ and White and knows he's not better than those two, so he'll be more willing to accept a lower offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling Lonnie will be a little more humble about his worth than your typical young upcoming free agent. He's wholesome, has a house in SA, probably thankful for all the things SA has done for him. I think he sees DJ and White and knows he's not better than those two, so he'll be more willing to accept a lower offer.
    Hope you're right. What do you think Lonnie's extension should be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully somewhere between $10 mil to $14 mil. About the same as guys like Marcus Smart, Robert Covington, Jeremy Lamb are making...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie’s value in a potential RFA situation is an absolute enigma until next year

I’m not opposed to a pre season extension in similar value to Jakob’s deal- a 3 year MLE type commitment for the team to give him some vote of confidence, while allowing for the possibility that he breaks out in his last rookie deal year and you have him locked up at a bargain deal.

That scenario aside- if he builds on this year a little bit and has a nice showing in 2022, something like 15 points on respectable efficiency, closer to 40% from 3. He’ll get some offers in the range of 17 million or so with the hope that he develops into a star. He could also regress next year or stagnate and have a limited market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like 4/15 per with incentives for 6MOTY or even All Defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully somewhere between $10 mil to $14 mil. About the same as guys like Marcus Smart, Robert Covington, Jeremy Lamb are making...
    What if i told you Lonnie is ranked 249 in terms of WAR and Raptor out 250 rotation players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen so far, he gets less than Poeltl money...

Also, people need to have a serious look at cap dynamics for the long term, given some of the contracts they are proposing...

My own opinion. 1) The tax line is going to be ~ 125 million (SAS are not likely to pay the tax). 2) To win the league you need at least a big 2, who (barring rookie contracts), are going to be expensive (>50 million between them). 3) That leaves <$75 million for the next 13 spots. 4)MLE is ~$10 Million; we have to be very careful about throwing around $ MLE level contracts around...

Assume our "top 2" are an FA (or Derozan) + DJ for $50M. Poetlt $9M, White $16M. We got $ 50M for the next 11 spots... We will want to sign Keldon - he'll want at least White money... We also have Luka (potentially also looking at money) and Vassel. (Not to mention Tre, who looks good...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if i told you Lonnie is ranked 249 in terms of WAR and Raptor out 250 rotation players.
    I know advanced metrics say he's bad, don't need to see those when you can easily see it in real-time that he's bad. But I think a little re-configuration of his playstyle and I think he can flip those metrics upside down. (Not saying he'll be elite, but maybe a solid role player)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen so far, he gets less than Poeltl money...

Also, people need to have a serious look at cap dynamics for the long term, given some of the contracts they are proposing...

My own opinion. 1) The tax line is going to be ~ 125 million (SAS are not likely to pay the tax). 2) To win the league you need at least a big 2, who (barring rookie contracts), are going to be expensive (>50 million between them). 3) That leaves <$75 million for the next 13 spots. 4)MLE is ~$10 Million; we have to be very careful about throwing around $ MLE level contracts around...

Assume our "top 2" are an FA (or Derozan) + DJ for $50M. Poetlt $9M, White $16M. We got $ 50M for the next 11 spots... We will want to sign Keldon - he'll want at least White money... We also have Luka (potentially also looking at money) and Vassel. (Not to mention Tre, who looks good...).
    The tax line will be higher than 125M in future years...

DDR $30M (3 year deal)
    White $17M
    Dj $16M
    Poeltl $9M
    Lonnie $ 15M (if we extend)

That's $87M, if the cap comes in at your $125M that still leaves $38M for the rest on rookie scale and minimum contracts. We should be fine and at some point we'll have to trade a couple of the young guys to balance things out.
    Last edited by mo7888; 03-03-2021 at 11:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is not like Kyle Anderson where his potential is capped by his physical ability. There's still a few directions where Lonnie can take his game to, if he's smart enough to pull it off.

Mental ability is easier to overcome than physical.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-03-2021 at 12:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like 4/15 per with incentives for 6MOTY or even All Defense.
    Are you saying 4 years, $15 per year, or 4yrs, $15M total?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can make up profiles on Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, if Luka pans out we gonna be decently stacked.

Murray
    Vassell
    Keldon
    Samanic
    Poeltl

White
    Walker
    Lyles

Also, no but, with DJ and Luka the Spurs' popularity among the ladies will increase exponentially.

Thread Information