Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, if Luka pans out we gonna be decently stacked.

Murray
    Vassell
    Keldon
    Samanic
    Poeltl

White
    Walker
    Lyles

Also, no but, with DJ and Luka the Spurs' popularity among the ladies will increase exponentially.
    Samanic is a heartthrob. Speaking of throb, exactly what's happening in my pants right now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is not like Kyle Anderson where his potential is capped by his physical ability. There's still a few directions where Lonnie can take his game to, if he's smart enough to pull it off.

Mental ability is easier to overcome than physical.
    Yeah, Lonnie is an enigma. Will he be the next Zach LaVine (looking less and less likely), Jordan Clarkson, Jamal Crawford (handles aren't strong enough), Alec Burks, Jeremy Lamb or a flame out/bust?

I'm hoping for the Clarkson or Crawford tier (6THMOY level) and not a guy that shows glimpses but never reaches that level (Burks & Lamb).

And his advanced metrics have been complete dog , shows that he still has a lot to learn/improve on and maybe needs his role adjusted further to have positive impact.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    everyone acting like i didn’t already post this
    you're missing the point of this thread. spurs could end this season with the best record in the division and my point would still stand.

this thread is about the future, future. not weeks or months. spurs need to do what OKC did and move their vets. especially instead of letting them walk for nothing.

spurs move demar, la, rudy for the right assets and i take this thread back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    538 did a draft analysis based on difference of expected WAR for a draft slot to actual performance. The Spurs ranked #3 since 2010 behind the Nuggets (Jokic at 41) and the Pacers.

Draft Track Record Since 2010
    Display
    rows
    Team Draft Value vs. Expectation Best Pick Worst Pick
    Nuggets +32.1 Nikola Jokic (41) Emmanuel Mudiay (7)
    Pacers +25.9 Paul George (10) T.J. Leaf (18)
    Spurs +24.0 Kawhi Leonard (15) Lonnie Walker (18)
    Pistons +22.4 Khris Middleton (39) Stanley Johnson (8)
    Rockets +19.0 Chandler Parsons (38) Terrence Jones (18)
    Raptors +18.1 Pascal Siakam (20) Bruno Caboclo (20)
    Warriors +16.9 Draymond Green (35) Ekpe Udoh (6)
    Heat +16.0 Josh Richardson (40) Norris Cole (28)
    Jazz +14.5 Rudy Gobert (27) Enes Kanter (3)
    Pelicans +5.1 Anthony Davis (1) Austin Rivers (10)

They rated Lonnie as the Spurs worst draft choice in the last 10 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everyone acting like i didn’t already post this
    No, it's you who doesn't understand, tbh. Your thread post is that Spurs have the worst future in their division - yet you think moving a couple of vets is going to net them enough assets to change that (false) fact? How much do you even expect to get out of the vets, tbh? I'd say in a best case scenario, they all return 4 mid-to-late FRP, which is nice but not franchise-changing by any means. Your premise was stupid, and trying to derail the original statement of the thread with another equally head-scratching hypothetical isn't any better.

So yeah, this thread's probably getting bumped for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is aging well.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread has the worst future in its forum.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is not like Kyle Anderson where his potential is capped by his physical ability. There's still a few directions where Lonnie can take his game to, if he's smart enough to pull it off.

Mental ability is easier to overcome than physical.
    I disagree mental is very hard to overcome. KA is a smart player and could make up for some of his physical problems because of it. Also mental can creep back in as opposed to if you overcome physical it is harder to lose. so do you ever really overcome mental?

I also think people are wanting to pay Lonnie to much on here. some are even saying give him the extension to see if he pans out. Your going to give someone (10-15 mil) what most have been posting to see if a player pans out? This or signing a max player this is not a max player is a good way to end up in cap trouble.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    No, it's you who doesn't understand, tbh. Your thread post is that Spurs have the worst future in their division - yet you think moving a couple of vets is going to net them enough assets to change that (false) fact? How much do you even expect to get out of the vets, tbh? I'd say in a best case scenario, they all return 4 mid-to-late FRP, which is nice but not franchise-changing by any means. Your premise was stupid, and trying to derail the original statement of the thread with another equally head-scratching hypothetical isn't any better.

So yeah, this thread's probably getting bumped for a while.
    this thread has always been about moving the vets. that why's why i mentioned them in the first post

this is what i've always thought: the spurs future with white, murray, KJ + whatever they get for demar, la, rudy > the spurs future with white, murray, KJ + getting nothing for demar, la, rudy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thread has always been about moving the vets. that why's why i mentioned them in the first post

this is what i've always thought: the spurs future with white, murray, KJ + whatever they get for demar, la, rudy > the spurs future with white, murray, KJ + getting nothing for demar, la, rudy
    Is getting Blake Griffen for DDR and Rudy Gay better for the Spurs than letting their contract expire and sign a FA of the Spurs choice with Cap to extend their own youngsters? Also how does this relate to other teams in the division

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You should think about making less sensationalistic les for your threads, then, might've gotten a better result.

Secondly, and you can disagree with me here, but you're missing the opportunity cost of letting the vets stay on the team to help mentor and coach the young players. Once again, what's your best case scenario in a trade for the vets? They're not bringing more than 2 late FRP's in the best of scenarios, realistically, so the Spurs are perfectly well served by keeping them instead of having to draft yet another middling talent who might someday turn into a useful piece. There's absolutely a point where you can have too many prospects to develop, but only one ball; and likewise, a team filled with only young players is destined to fail, with no veteran wisdom to guide them and no hierarchical structure in the locker room due to all the youngings trying to alpha-male the situations.

There's a lot of scenarios where the Spurs' future is better by keeping these vets. , we're seeing right now the positive effects that they have on Murray, Keldon, Luka. , I'd say that right now, there's a better chance of the Spurs re-signing DeRozan, than there is of them trading away one of the vets... Might want to brace for impact

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as if spurs' future depends on d white, d murray, and kj
    this thread is about trading the vets

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, it probably doesn't. It likely depends on who they get with their eventual lottery picks. It definitely isn't going to depend on dumping guys this year though.
    lmao here's SpursTalk's resident B-T-M.

That's right! B-T-M: Bad Take Machine!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    538 did a draft analysis based on difference of expected WAR for a draft slot to actual performance. The Spurs ranked #3 since 2010 behind the Nuggets (Jokic at 41) and the Pacers.

Draft Track Record Since 2010
    Display
    rows
    Team Draft Value vs. Expectation Best Pick Worst Pick
    Nuggets +32.1 Nikola Jokic (41) Emmanuel Mudiay (7)
    Pacers +25.9 Paul George (10) T.J. Leaf (18)
    Spurs +24.0 Kawhi Leonard (15) Lonnie Walker (18)
    Pistons +22.4 Khris Middleton (39) Stanley Johnson (8)
    Rockets +19.0 Chandler Parsons (38) Terrence Jones (18)
    Raptors +18.1 Pascal Siakam (20) Bruno Caboclo (20)
    Warriors +16.9 Draymond Green (35) Ekpe Udoh (6)
    Heat +16.0 Josh Richardson (40) Norris Cole (28)
    Jazz +14.5 Rudy Gobert (27) Enes Kanter (3)
    Pelicans +5.1 Anthony Davis (1) Austin Rivers (10)

They rated Lonnie as the Spurs worst draft choice in the last 10 years.
    That's a weird ass choice considering he became a rotation player pretty early on his career. For example, Samanic (up to this point) is objectively a worse pick than Lonnie. Picked just 1 position later and still can't crack rotation minutes.

Do you know what criteria did they use?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a weird ass choice considering he became a rotation player pretty early on his career. For example, Samanic (up to this point) is objectively a worse pick than Lonnie. Picked just 1 position later and still can't crack rotation minutes.

They use the ulative WAR for their first contract (4 years). So players that break out in their 5th year wouldn't see the benefit; likewise a player that under performs for 2 years (Lonnie) would be more likely to be worse than a player that underperforms for 1 year (Luka).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If I had to guess, it might be actual NBA production. Luka rotted on the bench all year last year, but after the Spurs were eliminated from the playoffs, he played starter/rotation minutes in the last game, and dropped 16/8 with 3 three pointers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I had to guess, it might be actual NBA production. Luka rotted on the bench all year last year, but after the Spurs were eliminated from the playoffs, he played starter/rotation minutes in the last game, and dropped 16/8 with 3 three pointers.
    Considering the Spurs have had a few firsts never play in the NBA (LJC and Nikola) it has to be based on actual NBA production? I always take all 538 things with a grain of salt - good work, but some holes. Also don’t understand it if based on actual NBA production as Anderson was technically picked ten years ago and injuries messed up development. Can’t penalize Spurs for that. They must adjust for that. Unbelievable track record all things considered, and really no complete whiffs in the entire Duncan era outside of the guys who never played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think it is time to explore trades for Walker IV if bringing back DDR is the intent (which is looking more likely).

a 5 player rotation at the 1-3 of DJ/DDR/Keldon White/Vassel with Tre playing spot minutes or getting the show with injuries makes sense to me. Walker could be used towards the addition of a backup big wing who can play the 4 or just a a true 4/5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think it is time to explore trades for Walker IV if bringing back DDR is the intent (which is looking more likely).

a 5 player rotation at the 1-3 of DJ/DDR/Keldon White/Vassel with Tre playing spot minutes or getting the show with injuries makes sense to me. Walker could be used towards the addition of a backup big wing who can play the 4 or just a a true 4/5.
    Keep in mind, Mills could go this off season. That's 20 mins to make up. Walker and Vassel as your backup wings is a good start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao here's SpursTalk's resident B-T-M.

That's right! B-T-M: Bad Take Machine!
    I know you use most of your few posts to nip at my heels ineffectually nowadays, but you do realize that that take aged well, right? Like hate me if you want, but if you're going to obsess over my posts to the point of bumping a post I made weeks ago, at least try to read them first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    iT wAs aBoUt tRaDiNg tHe VeTs

What a pathetic backpedal. Own your take and hold your place in ST lore with some sort of dignity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What a pathetic backpedal. Own your take and hold your place in ST lore with some sort of dignity.
    The guy was never serious about it. He only posts bull like that to rile people up. I've never seen him exhibit any type of knowledge about the current Spurs outside of the names of the players on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . Player development is also limited by time and staff. So having a glut of guaranteed salary talent would actually ruin the team and lead to them becoming an Orlando or sacramento. I'm actually very pessimistic about OKC. They've traded all their talent, so players will get the mindset " i must get good enough to leave this team". The Spurs have had a few disgruntled players, but i think the current team will mostly stick (so far Murray, poertle, and White have extended their contacts)

Having derozan and lMA is luxury that is finally paying dividends. It's literally unprecedented for the Spurs to be this young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly. Haven’t seen this much backpedaling, spin, and gaslighting since Trump left office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Haven’t seen this much backpedaling, spin, and gaslighting since Trump left office.
    Gregg Abbott? Ted Cruz?

Thread Information