Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know, we don't give anything about awards and so on, but how offen can we hope for this award?

Kudos to Arcadian...Just thought it would deserve it's own thread.

Rookie tracker

Wembanyama: 15/5/2/2/1
    Miller: 13/3/2/0/0
    Henderson: 11/3/4/0/0
    Holmgren: 11/4/3/1/0
    Lively 16/10/1/1/1
    Hopefully it won't be a real race but a walkover for Wemby.
    And btw if you missed it: The 65 game minimum doesn't matter for this award (even though playing less while others play a full season should be hard to overcome).
    Last edited by mudyez; 10-26-2023 at 07:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 2

Wembanyama 21/12/1/2/3
    Miller 17/6/2/1/1
    Henderson 7/3/2/1/0
    Holmgren 16/13/2/1/7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miller has been more effective than I thought so far. Both he and Chet have more veteran teams with great PGs. Neither will be focal points on offense.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN really hyping Wemby over Chet on Sportscenter tonight even though Holmgren had a monster game too, including a three to claw them back to a tie game with like 1:30 left and 7 blocks.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure he'll win ROY, not if Pop keeps yanking him needlessly. Pop is probably going to have alot of us pulling out our hair this season when it comes to this. It's as if though Pop has always found gaudy stats offensive or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet will be his biggest comp. The rest of the kids from Wemby’s draft class look so meh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is a legit and his team is going to do some damage this year I don't see them tanking per usual

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is disqualified after getting embarrassed by Andre Drummond, of all people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN really hyping Wemby over Chet on Sportscenter tonight even though Holmgren had a monster game too, including a three to claw them back to a tie game with like 1:30 left and 7 blocks.
    and the game recap on nba.com also makes you think Wemby is the greatest thing ever ... they did not mention his shooting struggles nor showed his FG% in the end ...

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet will definitely be more efficient. He knows he is not the 1st or 2nd option with SGA and other on the team. He will focus on rebounding and blocking shots. His points will come without forcing it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is becoming the go to guy in the 4th and he’s very willing to carry the team vs Chet as 3rd option at best in OKC. I think that will play well, plus Wemby is being hyped as the next global face of basketball, the NBA will cash in on Wemby and should suit them well if he wins the ROTY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure he'll win ROY, not if Pop keeps yanking him needlessly. Pop is probably going to have alot of us pulling out our hair this season when it comes to this. It's as if though Pop has always found gaudy stats offensive or something.
    Yeah, Pop has that "don't worry about awards, worry about getting better at ude" and that is fine with the personality of the typical Spurs star but we aren't winning a ring this year so it would be nice to through the fans a bone and play him enough that he earns ROTY.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and the game recap on nba.com also makes you think Wemby is the greatest thing ever ... they did not mention his shooting struggles nor showed his FG% in the end ...
    It's kind of weird seeing a Spurs player get the Kobe treatment from the media now. Meanwhile on Sportscenter they ran through the OKC game quickly like Holmgren's 7 blocks were just something to mention in passing. Reminds me so much of 20 years ago when the national media couldn't give a about the juggernaut the Spurs had built and then called them accidental champions when they won it all. Thank god for free streams these days because the Thunder are a of a lot of fun to watch.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wemby should be averaging 30 mins a game and 20 plus points a game....If not our coaching will be failing
    him to bring out his true potential....We need to do a better job of getting him the ball when hes in the paint...
    Hes unstoppable in there

Believe.
    Post Count
    I couldn’t believe Wemby played so few minutes in an overtime game! Pop afraid to open his Christmas present apparently. But as much as I like Chet, I don’t see anyone overcoming Wemby for RotY. Wemby is by far the best player on his team and the number one option. Chet is maybe the third option at most. But OKC has such a good team. Chet really pushes the team over the top. Exactly what they needed. But I mean Wemby is the Alien. He 7’5” and he heats up like Kobe. WTF seriously!?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seven blocks is nothing to be overlooked. Vic sitting almost the entire second quarter was another Pop mystery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to get over himself if Vic is to have a chance at sniffing RoY.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only obstacle to this is Pop.

The coaching staff only need to remind pop of one thing: wemby on the floor = winning
    wemby on the bench = losing

From there Pop has to strategically plan his timeouts carefully, along with the other teams timeouts to ensure Wemby gets max minutes of rest - but most of his "rest" should be during timeouts - NOT during crucial stages of the game.

Last night was a perfect example of this: pop subbed wemby out IMMEDIATELY after that monster under the rim dunk -

and then Houston called a timeout - followed by a CHALLENGE - and when the game returned to play (after a timeout AND a challenge delay) wemby was STILL on the bench.

Just total dropping of the ball. Sure, the players need to get the memo that wemby is the unicorn and needs to be involved in every play - but pop needs to get the memo that it will be wemby - not pop - who will be responsible for the success of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not hard to suggest that Holmgren is a better interior defender. He also has a significantly better perimeter defense around him capable of funneling offense into him. His role is as their stretch-5 while Victor defends the perimeter more.

Victor clearly has conditioning concerns right now. Maybe he'll never be able to play full games. Probably he will, but Pop is keeping this in mind. I also think Pop wants to see how the team plays together without Wemby. They want to win games, but also need to develop these players and units.

Holmgren is also 20 months older than Wembanyama and has been in the league for a full year already. He's never going to be the focus of the Thunder offense. He has very set duties while Victor's are still in flux.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Pop has that "don't worry about awards, worry about getting better at ude" and that is fine with the personality of the typical Spurs star but we aren't winning a ring this year so it would be nice to through the fans a bone and play him enough that he earns ROTY.
    Yupp, agreed. Get some sort of excitement going while of course still progressing the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not hard to suggest that Holmgren is a better interior defender. He also has a significantly better perimeter defense around him capable of funneling offense into him. His role is as their stretch-5 while Victor defends the perimeter more.

Victor clearly has conditioning concerns right now. Maybe he'll never be able to play full games. Probably he will, but Pop is keeping this in mind. I also think Pop wants to see how the team plays together without Wemby. They want to win games, but also need to develop these players and units.

Holmgren is also 20 months older than Wembanyama and has been in the league for a full year already. He's never going to be the focus of the Thunder offense. He has very set duties while Victor's are still in flux.
    Big +1 about the conditioning concerns.

People wanting Wemby to play more aren’t reading his body language right. He’s got a long rookie season ahead of him.

Spurs fan, be patient. Unlike Timmy, Wemby’s not going to have another formerly MVP-level elite player barely past his prime (DRob)to lean on. He’s got Pop and that’s it - and Pop knows it. Contrary to some ppl’s opinion, Wemby no doubt is appreciative of the blows coach is giving him, at least at this point.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 11 by B-R WS, very small sample size.

1) Chet Holmgren
    2) Derek Lively II
    3) Cason Wallace
    4) Britany Miller weird sort for WNBA player, must be Brandon.
    5) Sasha Vezenkov
    6) Anthony Black
    7) Kevonte George
    8) Jordan Hawkins
    9) Marcus Sasser
    10) Tourmani Carrara
    11) Victor Wembayama

38 out of 38) Scoot Henderson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby will win it just out of scoring, which is the main thing people check. And he'll easily be a 20+ scorer this season. Chet is closer to his final self than Wemby who will get more and more comfortable as the season goes... Add in a few 30+ games, plus how clutch and "I've never seen that before" he is, and there's no real contest. Chet is a nice player and will get his stats, but he can't compete vs. the show Vic is putting on the court every night that gets you out of your seat... On that baseline (under the basket) dunk late in the 4th, ,you can see a couple of CEOs or whatever standing up, jumping and yelling on the opposite sideline like crazy kids... That's what Wemby does for you.

Last edited by JPB; 10-28-2023 at 03:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet with easy baskets...hope we can make it as easy for Wemby once we find our offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chet playing really well within OKCs system...he will put up numbers, as will wemby. but they will do it in very different ways and in different situations

chet also really has no business guarding jokic

Thread Information