Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, any one could say good things about the Spurs core and you'd dismiss it altogether anyway.

I don't base the conclusion on a podcast, it just confirms what is clear to me so I thought to share it here. The Spurs are hardly as bad as their record is, and much closer to cohesiveness and winning than most realize.

Have you been catching the future GOAT, tbh?
    It's an interesting discussion, to me, because part of why the Spurs "young core" rates so highly is because it has Wemby on it. If not for him, where would it rank? This seems like a bit of a semantic argument, but I think it is quite important because in many ways Wemby masks other relatively poor roster development decisions. I agree that the Spurs right now are better than their record indicates (and their recent record would back that up), but I would argue it's because Wemby is better than even expected (and expectations were high) and is pulling the team with him. Just imagine where we will be with a better roster around him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miss Cleo
    always taking the bait
    posting emojis that no one can read
    33k later and still posting nonsense If this brings joy to your life, I say keep on posting! 34k is in arms reach…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an interesting discussion, to me, because part of why the Spurs "young core" rates so highly is because it has Wemby on it. If not for him, where would it rank? This seems like a bit of a semantic argument, but I think it is quite important because in many ways Wemby masks other relatively poor roster development decisions. I agree that the Spurs right now are better than their record indicates (and their recent record would back that up), but I would argue it's because Wemby is better than even expected (and expectations were high) and is pulling the team with him. Just imagine where we will be with a better roster around him.
    It is precisely because of Wemby being such a huge part of the core, that the future is brigher than most!

This is due to the fact that Basketball is a 1A-game. Having the superior, best player on the court, is a monumental advantage, much more so than other sports. LeBron is a perfect example. Between having talent spread out into multiple players, or concentrated all in one, you always will take all-in-one, and build around it. A trascendent player bends the game more than any sum of parts can. And Wemby isn't even some Curry - he's a trascendently fluid tall man, in a tall men's game.

I'd rather have Wemby, alone and barren, than the entire Rox's core. Any day of the week. He is simply that good. And I'm not surprised others think similarly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miss Cleo
    Tell us of the future
    Tell us of Primo and Langford and Collins
    You were a joke back then and I see you are still one
    Hey buddy! Good to have you back; still see you on here trying to make friends and fit in. I’m sure everyone can hardly wait for that next primo / miss Cleo post….. don’t look now but your blow up doll needs air!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is precisely because of Wemby being such a huge part of the core, that the future is brigher than most!

This is due to the fact that Basketball is a 1A-game. Having the superior, best player on the court, is a monumental advantage, much more so than other sports. LeBron is a perfect example. Between having talent spread out into multiple players, or concentrated all in one, you always will take all-in-one, and build around it. A trascendent player bends the game more than any sum of parts can. And Wemby isn't even some Curry - he's a trascendently fluid tall man, in a tall men's game.

I'd rather have Wemby, alone and barren, than the entire Rox's core. Any day of the week. He is simply that good. And I'm not surprised others think similarly.
    I don't disagree, but that's also a false choice. We can have both (though not exactly the Rockets core player-for-player, the Spurs will and should still pick players that they like, as we both pointed out in another thread). I think most sane people can view our roster today with an amnesty for any "bad choices" (Primo over Sengun, Vassell over Haliburton) made in the past, since those "bad choices" led us to getting Wemby. However, with Wemby in hand, we must no longer let Wemby's presence excuse bad roster decisions going forward (with that said, there will still be misses - there always are, and they need not each be individually viewed as a fireable offense).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    33k later and still posting nonsense If this brings joy to your life, I say keep on posting! 34k is in arms reach…
    Bringing up my posts like I care. You still keep taking the bait .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bringing up my posts like I care. You still keep taking the bait .
    Yet you respond; a person with that many post clearly has some stuff to get off their chest(and the chest of 5 to 10 more people ) lol. We’re listening…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet you respond; a person with that many post clearly has some stuff to get off their chest(and the chest of 5 to 10 more people ) lol. We’re listening…..
    Still taking the bait lol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still taking the bait lol.
    Ok, you don’t want to talk basketball or facts…cool. Be easy my friend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree, but that's also a false choice. We can have both (though not exactly the Rockets core player-for-player, the Spurs will and should still pick players that they like, as we both pointed out in another thread). I think most sane people can view our roster today with an amnesty for any "bad choices" (Primo over Sengun, Vassell over Haliburton) made in the past, since those "bad choices" led us to getting Wemby. However, with Wemby in hand, we must no longer let Wemby's presence excuse bad roster decisions going forward (with that said, there will still be misses - there always are, and they need not each be individually viewed as a fireable offense).
    I think that is the key takeaway and something I completely agree with. I'm also expecting a busy off-season and, you can take my word for it, I'd be very disappointed to see the Spurs roll into next season without movement of the roster at multiple levels.

But in the end, though I understand your false dichotomy counterpoint, my point remains true. Basketball is a game where 1A talent is simply superior to 2A-2A, and of course better than 3A-3A-3A (or however you want to describe it). The Rox have made some good moves, but they still have the "elephant in the room" problem of lacking the true, 1A talent, and they no longer have a way to tank for it.

So now, they can either hope that one of their players elevates to anywhere close to Wemby's level (lol), a disgruntled star forces their way to Houston (lol), or to eventually consolidate some of their youth into that 1A player/talent (historically very rare outside of disgruntled Kawhi scenarios). That's not a great position to be in, all things considered.

When the dust settles, and it will, I'm taking the Spurs core no doubt in my mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that is the key takeaway and something I completely agree with. I'm also expecting a busy off-season and, you can take my word for it, I'd be very disappointed to see the Spurs roll into next season without movement of the roster at multiple levels.

But in the end, though I understand your false dichotomy counterpoint, my point remains true. Basketball is a game where 1A talent is simply superior to 2A-2A, and of course better than 3A-3A-3A (or however you want to describe it). The Rox have made some good moves, but they still have the "elephant in the room" problem of lacking the true, 1A talent, and they no longer have a way to tank for it.

So now, they can either hope that one of their players elevates to anywhere close to Wemby's level (lol), a disgruntled star forces their way to Houston (lol), or to eventually consolidate some of their youth into that 1A player/talent (historically very rare outside of disgruntled Kawhi scenarios). That's not a great position to be in, all things considered.

When the dust settles, and it will, I'm taking the Spurs core no doubt in my mind.
    At some point, however, we need to acknowledge that there are only so many 1As to go around. Not every team gets one. The Rockets have done a good job assembling a roster with what I would consider three #2s right now, each with the potential (as small as it may be) of elevating to a #1 - though maybe only a 1B. That's about as much as you can ask for, IMO.

Now, the Spurs are lucky in that we landed that #1A (with GOAT potential) and of course that puts us in a different boat. What I like about what the Rockets have done is that they assembled that core talent, then they signed some vets to make that same next step we should look to make next year in my opinion (play-in contention), and they did those Vets deals in a way that fits the timeline of that young core. FVV and Brooks will be rolling off by the time their young core are hitting extensions and (hopefully, if you are the Rockets), have made that leap. That works perfectly well for their team.

My only point was that the Spurs young core is rated so highly because of one element, who thankfully the BB Gods smiled upon us to deliver. Now it's the FO's job to not screw it up from here on out.

Thread Information