Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Will offensive holds be called unlike last years SB

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    100% Agreed. Neither offensive line is really elite (example of elite O-Lines: 2017 Eagles Super Bowl, 2014-2016 Cowboys, 2014 Packers, 2020 Packers before Bakhtiari's injury) but TB's is far better than KC's. Bucs will get some stops in the second half, like they did last game and in their first meeting, even if the Chiefs jump on them early. The Chiefs have the tendency to get figured out on offense in second halves of games this year. It will bite them in the end.

Even Atlanta "figured them out" in the second half of that game the Chiefs needed to clinch the conference regular season le, tbh. Yes, the same Atlanta defense that gave up 400 second half yards to Dak Prescott in the same season.
    Plus, a "home" game for TB. Should be a good game. I just can't see the Chiefs stopping TB more than TB stops the Chiefs. Brady seems to be in a groove and they've got good to great WR from 1 to 4. Then pretty good TE with Brate and Gronk. Neither team has a great running game but I'd have to give the edge to TB there as well.

Will BradyRef make key appearances?

Yes.

Only thing memorable about that Superbowl was one of the Raiders' starting offensive lineman running off to Mexico the day before and getting so drunk he couldn't play

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Only thing memorable about that Superbowl was one of the Raiders' starting offensive lineman running off to Mexico the day before and getting so drunk he couldn't play
    Conspiracy

Raiders strike first but fade quickly. I rewatched. Bucs struggle with hurry up.

Raiders were primed for the Win. Could not overcome Bucs D.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Over/Under: 999.5 pounds combined for this year's Super Bowl head coaching duo?

#FatLivesMatter

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Over/Under: 999.5 pounds combined for this year's Super Bowl head coaching duo?

#FatLivesMatter
    I'll take the under. got.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    first team all pro goes missing right before the superbowl against one of the stacked defenses in NFL history

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    first team all pro goes missing right before the superbowl against one of the stacked defenses in NFL history

In the 2002 NFL season with Bill Callahan in his first year as head coach, Robbins rebounded strongly by starting all 16 regular season games and making the Pro Bowl. Oakland won the AFC west for the third straight year, with an 11–5 record, scoring 450 points (28.1 points/game), 2nd of 32 teams in the NFL. In the 2002–03 NFL playoffs, the Raiders defeated the New York Jets again with 399 total yards, with an offensive line composed of Robbins, Frank Middleton and Mo Collins at guard, Barry Sims and Lincoln Kennedy at tackle. The Raiders then beat with the same offensive line the Tennessee ans in the AFC championship game, gaining 375 total yards.
    Then, inexplicably, the day before Super Bowl XXXVII, Robbins was reported as missing for most of the day before the game after not taking his depression medication. When he resurfaced that night, he was so incoherent that he didn't even know where he was.[2] According to one of his teammates, Robbins didn't even recognize Callahan. Despite this, Al Davis still wanted Robbins in the game, and development coach Willie Brown had Robbins running sprints in the parking lot on the morning of the game to see if he could still play.[3]
    Callahan had initially intended to let Robbins play, but not start. However, he ultimately decided to suspend Robbins for the game after concluding that he was not fit to take the field at all. He initially wanted to fly Robbins back to Oakland, but was unable to get him a plane ticket because he was missing his wallet and identification.[2] He spent 30 days at the Betty Ford Center, during which time he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (or manic-depressive disorder). He'd been diagnosed with depression while at TCU, but it is common for the two to be confused in the early stages. It turned out that he had gone into a manic episode after not taking his medication. According to his wife, Robbins spent most of the day before the Super Bowl partying across the border in Tijuana, Mexico; he had thought the Raiders already won the game and he was celebrating their "victory."[4] With Adam Treu as the starting center, the Raiders were blown out in an ugly loss in the Super Bowl to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 48–21.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    to be fair the raiders tackles got whipped all game, wasnt primarily guys up the middle

but a forgotten note of that superbowl is that with like 6-7 minutes to go the raiders actually got it down to a 2 possession game

tampa had 2 pick-sixes in the last 90 seconds of the game

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    to be fair the raiders tackles got whipped all game, wasnt primarily guys up the middle

but a forgotten note of that superbowl is that with like 6-7 minutes to go the raiders actually got it down to a 2 possession game

tampa had 2 pick-sixes in the last 90 seconds of the game
    To be fair I thought the Raiders 2001 team was a little better, even despite a worse record and a poor showing in December, 01. Should have been the Super Bowl champions that year IMO and trading Gruden was the weirdest trade in sports history.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    To be fair I thought the Raiders 2001 team was a little better, even despite a worse record and a poor showing in December, 01. Should have been the Super Bowl champions that year IMO and trading Gruden was the weirdest trade in sports history.
    was a great trade for the raiders but they didnt do with the draft picks. used the 2 first rounders on Phillip Buchanon and Tyler Brayton

buchanon wasn't bad. he was explosive, a big play guy, but ultimately pretty volatile, kinda like a worse marcus peters. but only lasted a few years on the team

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Conspiracy

Raiders strike first but fade quickly. I rewatched. Bucs struggle with hurry up.

Raiders were primed for the Win. Could not overcome Bucs D.
    I've watched a couple of videos on this. Apparently Callahan had planned to go 'run-heavy' all week leading up to the Super Bowl. This made sense considering the massive size advantage their offensive line had over the small, but quick Tampa D-line. However, the Friday before he decided to ditch that plan at the last minute in favor of a pass-heavy offense. This decision led to a few conspiracy theories. There was some speculation that this last-minute change caused Robbins to go over the edge and triggered his manic episode. Other Raider players even went as far as to say that Callahan intentionally tanked the Super Bowl so that his buddy Gruden would win. This seems ludicrous to me. Intentionally tanking a Super Bowl, which would essentially guarantee you an NFL job for life if it was on your resume. But even when guys like Jerry Rice say that it was likely he tanked, it's hard to outright dismiss it.

IMO, this was one of the most interesting Super Bowls in NFL history considering all the storylines despite the fact that the game itself was forgettable.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I've watched a couple of videos on this. Apparently Callahan had planned to go 'run-heavy' all week leading up to the Super Bowl. This made sense considering the massive size advantage their offensive line had over the small, but quick Tampa D-line. However, the Friday before he decided to ditch that plan at the last minute in favor of a pass-heavy offense. This decision led to a few conspiracy theories. There was some speculation that this last-minute change caused Robbins to go over the edge and triggered his manic episode. Other Raider players even went as far as to say that Callahan intentionally tanked the Super Bowl so that his buddy Gruden would win. This seems ludicrous to me. Intentionally tanking a Super Bowl, which would essentially guarantee you an NFL job for life if it was on your resume. But even when guys like Jerry Rice say that it was likely he tanked, it's hard to outright dismiss it.

IMO, this was one of the most interesting Super Bowls in NFL history considering all the storylines despite the fact that the game itself was forgettable.
    I do remember hearing of this massive strategy overhaul late in the SB week. Great case of cir stance as what if the game isn't played in Southern California allowing Robbins to cross the border and pound margaritas (and Latinas?)

Obviously 18 years ago the media coverage was not as immense. But this was 4 years after Eugene Robinson in Miami. Indeed the games were usually blowouts at that time but some great story lines!

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Antonio Brown, Antoine Winfield, Jordan Whitehead all good to go for all the marbles on the line. All hands on deck. Except the Chiefs' offensive line, of course. I expect Mahomes to get hit a ton and be a sitting duck back there.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Antonio Brown, Antoine Winfield, Jordan Whitehead all good to go for all the marbles on the line. All hands on deck. Except the Chiefs' offensive line, of course. I expect Mahomes to get hit a ton and be a sitting duck back there.
    NFL will cuddle him like last years SB

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    NFL will cuddle him like last years SB
    Dude, get over it. There was no hold on Bosa and Mahomes' play on 3rd and forever was fantastic. The 49ers lost; they chokedPERIOD.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Dude, get over it. There was no hold on Bosa and Mahomes' play on 3rd and forever was fantastic. The 49ers lost; they chokedPERIOD.
    No hold?

He was about to toss his 3rd+ INT of the game

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    No hold?

He was about to toss his 3rd+ INT of the game
    Jet. Chip. Wasp. Tyreek Hill caught it with no 49er in sight. INT? He was wiiiiiiiide open. The corner blew his cover 3 assignment and took the square in route. You're lucky the deep single high safety even made the tackle or it would have been an even bigger rout. 49ers lost, get over it. #DoesItHurt

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Jet. Chip. Wasp. Tyreek Hill caught it with no 49er in sight. INT? He was wiiiiiiiide open. The corner blew his cover 3 assignment and took the square in route. You're lucky the deep single high safety even made the tackle or it would have been an even bigger rout. 49ers lost, get over it. #DoesItHurt
    It would have been 3rd and 25 deep in their own zone. Coming off drive that ended in INT.

He was primed for a 3rd turnover.

49ers choked and Mahomes was cuddled. The two don't have to be exclusive.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It would have been 3rd and 25 deep in their own zone. Coming off drive that ended in INT.

He was primed for a 3rd turnover.

49ers choked and Mahomes was cuddled. The two don't have to be exclusive.
    There was no hold, Mahomes took a 12 step drop back and chucked a beautiful bomb directly into the bucket for a hole in one. Mahomes was great and the 49ers choked, period. Refs were fair on both sides.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    There was no hold, Mahomes took a 12 step drop back and chucked a beautiful bomb directly into the bucket for a hole in one. Mahomes was great and the 49ers choked, period. Refs were fair on both sides.

It was 3rd and Long following an INT. He asked in the huddle if the offensive line could give him enough time. Fisher responded with chokehold on Bosa.

Mahomes was about to cough up the ball a 3rd time in desperation

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

It was 3rd and Long following an INT. He asked in the huddle if the offensive line could give him enough time. Fisher responded with chokehold on Bosa.

It wasn't a hold and it was a deep bomb and the Niners lost. End of story.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count

Probably a hold but that’s not some obvious call the refs missed. Holding is the most missed call in the NFL. I would have much rather seen Jimmy Wop win last year but I don’t think you can blame them losing on the refs not calling every single holding penalty.

Thread Information