Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schumer Plays His Weak Senate Hand … Badly

The Democrat Is the New Majority Leader.

So Why Is Mitch McConnell Still Running the Place?
    From the outside, it looks like majority leading by pleading, not arm-twisting.

You don’t hear that other senators fear Schumer as much as hope that he can stand up to the ever-manipulative tactics of a crafty Mitch McConnell, who has lost the majority leader le, but not its magic to set the agenda.

the real majority leader emerging is centrist Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), who seems repeatedly to forget that he is a Democrat, and who doesn’t mind hanging Schumer and Democratic goals in thin air.

Schumer ... someone who got to this day in a plodding manner, using congressional rules and his ever-present microphone rather than any sense of authoritative aggressiveness.

“Chuck Schumer has finally realized his dream of becoming majority leader. And given the cir stances,
    it’s a bit of a nightmare,”

Schumer does not have the votes of Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.).

The new heavyweight in the Senate is the center, with

Manchin from Democrats meeting up with Susan Collins (R-Maine), and a smallish group from Republicans.

Somehow, they want to buck both parties with their insistence on moderation and politeness

– even as the Capitol is assaulted, even as the coronavirus deaths soar again, even as hunger is growing.

Biden, again, thinks that bipartisanship can be made to work, WT ing

McConnell simply is acting as if he gets a veto over all that passes to the Senate.

He is still acting as majority leader without the le.

Schumer needs to step up to his new job.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/new...postthread&f=8

the feckless, useless ing Dems

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So...McConnell acts like Derp because all the Dems are limp- ed to do anything about it?

LOL Boots' boogeymen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, George Takei.

Really??!?!? A sexual predator talking about "monsters".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Senate is effectively deadlocked over McConnell's filibuster demand

until Schumer and McConnell reach agreement on the Senate's operating rules, Republicans still retain much of the majority they lost last Wednesday.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/962964/senate-effectively-deadlocked-over-mcconnells-filibuster-demand

Schumer folds and keeps filibuster, then McConnell will filibuster/kill every single bill

Schumer doesn't fold, Repugs retain control of the Senate, the commitees, and will filibuster/kill every single bill

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democratic Sen. Sinema Comes Out Against Ending Filibuster:

‘Not Open to Changing Her Mind’

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/de...ging-her-mind/

Schumer's only chance get even one Dem bill passed in next two years is to play as smash-mouth dirty-as-a-Repug,

promise he won't kill the filibuster,

get control of Senate, then kill the filibuster

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-25-2021 at 04:44 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Fillibuster and Pack Court

2 issues that would energize me. I think Democrats can have their way without.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "How would eliminating the filibuster actually work?

The most straightforward way to eliminate the filibuster would be to formally change the text of Senate Rule 22, the cloture rule that requires 60 votes to end debate on legislation.

Here’s the catch: Ending debate on a resolution to change the Senate’s standing rules

requires the support of two-thirds of the members present and voting.

Absent a large, bipartisan Senate majority that favors curtailing the right to debate, a formal change in Rule 22 is extremely unlikely.

A more complicated, but more likely, way to ban the filibuster would be to create a new Senate precedent.

The chamber’s precedents exist alongside its formal rules to provide additional insight into how and when its rules have been applied in particular ways.

Importantly, this approach to curtailing the filibuster—colloquially known as the “nuclear option” and more formally as “reform by ruling”—can, in certain cir stances, be employed with support from only a simple majority of senators.

The nuclear option leverages the fact that a new precedent can be created by a senator raising a point of order, or claiming that a Senate rule is being violated.

If the presiding officer (typically a member of the Senate) agrees, that ruling establishes a new precedent.

If the presiding officer disagrees, another senator can appeal the ruling of the chair.

If a majority of the Senate votes to reverse the decision of the chair, then the opposite of the chair’s ruling becomes the new precedent."

https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020...-eliminate-it/

The "presiding officer of the Senate" is the Vice-Pres of USA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitch McConnell vows to slow the Senate to a crawl if Democrats kill the filibuster

he demonstrated that he will not give up the power that he wielded unfettered for the past six years.

he warned Democrats against making any further moves to try to end the filibuster in an apocalyptic speech on the Senate floor today.

Threatening a “nightmare” scenario if the majority Democrats revive their efforts to end the filibuster, McConnell vowed that there would be “immediate chaos,

“Destroying the filibuster would drain comity and consent

from this body to a degree that would be unparalleled in living memory,”

“The Cons ution requires the Senate to have a quorum to do any business. Right now, a quorum is 51

and the vice president does not count to establish a quorum.

The majority cannot even produce a quorum on their own,

and one could be demanded by any senator at almost any time,”

“Technically, it takes collegiality and consent
    for the majority to keep acting as the majority at any time they do not physically … have a majority,”

“Every Senate Democrat and the vice president could essentially just block out the next two years on their calendar.

They’d have to be here all the time.”

McConnell went on to warn of a “scorched-earth, post-nuclear Senate,” wherein

Republicans could force all confirmations at “even the lowest level,” to move at “a snail’s pace.”

“It would hamstring the Biden presidency over a power grab which the president has spent decades warning against,”

“Taking that plunge would not be some progressive dream. It would be a nightmare,” he said. “I guarantee it.”

https://washingtonpress.com/2021/01/...the-filibuster

Wimpy, corrupt Moscow Mitch is scared, feels he has to talk tough to scare the Dems.

How will Schumer respond?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If the Dems were ever willing to go nuclear, then they’d also have a majority to change whatever rules McConnell is using to drag the senate to a halt. Not really sure Schumer needs to respond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you hear Sen. Cruz tried to have Rep. AOC murdered?

True story

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Dems were ever willing to go nuclear, then they’d also have a majority to change whatever rules McConnell is using to drag the senate to a halt. Not really sure Schumer needs to respond.
    Dems can't go nuclear, they don't have 51 votes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you hear Sen. Cruz tried to have Rep. AOC murdered?

True story
    didn't hear, but wouldn't surprise me one bit...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didn't hear, but wouldn't surprise me one bit...
    Maybe she should meet Rep. Scalise.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Dems can't go nuclear, they don't have 51 votes
    I’m aware, the point is that if they ever had 51 votes to go nuclear, they’d have 51 votes to change whatever other rules McConnell used to obstruct.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure who's Scalise is, but I doubt he was railing traitors to storm the Capitol...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the patriot that shot scalise was just responding to the corrupt deep state that was taking away his health care

so he was just uprising against a corrupt government taking away his family, his health and his
    ”pursuit of happiness”

the difference between this patriot and the traitors who stormed the capitol in a disgraceful failed coup attempt

was that the traitors based all their actions on LIES fed to them by a russian asset cult leader and his treasonous allies

where as the scalise shooter based it on the FACT that rich republican senators actively tried to harm him and his family by removing his chance to health care for the benefit of rich donors who wanted the billions in savings $ while americans died

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you should meet the Republican mob that murdered a cop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah wasn’t that literally right after a Bernie sanders rally where he urged the crowd to take it to republicans and march on them with toughness or else we’re going to lose our country?

Thread Information