View Poll Results: Would you trade both Lonnie and Luka for Collins?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 52.17%
  • No

44 47.83%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more in on Collins than not. I get the drawbacks of him and locking in a core with Murray, White, Poeltl, Johnson and Vassell moving forward, but they've already gone the way of Pacers West and he fits and is probably the best they can do.

It's not bad considering the catastrophic S bag trade and lack of a high pick(s), but it also lacks offensive dynamisim and could lead to being a treadmill team all over again.

It mostly hinges on Johnson becoming a star. Things would then fall into place, including White as Ginobili esque 6th man and closer, with Collins at the five.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d do Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks, and a 2nd for Snell and Collins but I doubt they’d do it.

Spurs will “overpay” for Markkanen or Collins (or both) and honestly with the decline of Aldridge either one is going to be worth it.

If they could somehow convince Aldridge to come off the bench we’d be incredible next year.

Murray
    Vassell
    DeRozan
    Markkanen
    Collins

Mills
    White
    Walker
    Johnson
    Aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d do Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks, and a 2nd for Snell and Collins but I doubt they’d do it.
    well yeah lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs will “overpay” for Markkanen or Collins (or both) and honestly with the decline of Aldridge either one is going to be worth it.

If they could somehow convince Aldridge to come off the bench we’d be incredible next year.

Murray
    Vassell
    DeRozan
    Markkanen
    Collins

Mills
    White
    Walker
    Johnson
    Aldridge
    there is so much wrong with this I do not know where to start.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Murray
    Vassell
    DeRozan
    Markkanen
    Collins

Mills
    White
    Walker
    Johnson
    Aldridge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker and Samanic have the highest ceilings among the youngsters on our team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Murray
    Vassell
    DeRozan
    Markkanen
    Collins

Mills
    White
    Walker
    Johnson
    Aldridge
    Of course they wouldn't do it. Not only not enough value, but they have Capela and Okongwu at C, while trading Poeltl would create a gaping hole at C for a player the Spurs probably have a good chance to sign anyway (he's a finisher, not a creator, but as a young scorer, he probably cares about counting stats and accolades, so the prospect joining a core without an established or obvious go-to scorer in the making, would probably be appealing).

As Chinook mentioned, there's value to acquiring him ahead of time, but only for expendable pieces.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there is so much wrong with this I do not know where to start.
    It is optimistic, no doubt. Financially possible since you’d clear Poeltl’s cap space and bird rights for Mills, DeRozan, and Aldridge.

I just hope the Spurs get to a point where they are as good as that ten man rotations. The realist in me knows we’ll probably take at least a decade to get there. Since signing two “moderate to big” free agents is a pipe dream with this front office.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To clarify, I’m not opposed to the trade. I’d rather move Demar. Regardless, my issue is that the FO will never do this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is optimistic, no doubt. Financially possible since you’d clear Poeltl’s cap space and bird rights for Mills, DeRozan, and Aldridge.

I just hope the Spurs get to a point where they are as good as that ten man rotations. The realist in me knows we’ll probably take at least a decade to get there. Since signing two “moderate to big” free agents is a pipe dream with this front office.
    It is financially improbable/near impossible. Bird rights mean nothing when you consider their cap-holds. Only possible if the Spurs renounce their bird rights thereby alleviating their cap-holds, pursue Collins and Mark for what will cost at least 50m than sign DDR, Patty and LMA for close to the min.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would stand pat personally.
    Sham was always a 2 year project at minimum.

Looking forward to his play with Austin this year.
    It was pretty clear that Keldon was the Alpha of that team last season, and with Devin, I suspect to remain with the main squad;
    he should be the #1 option by default.

A player I wouldn’t mind the Spurs to look at though would be Cody Zeller of Charlotte.
    He is a little injury prone but when healthy is a starting caliber centre whose game would mesh well with the young talent.
    He is only 28.

A little tough to make the numbers work so it might be have to be off-season target/addition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ummm so this will probably the reason why Lonnie won't get traded. These two are like brothers. Not to mention Lonnie bought a house in SA quite recently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be borderline stupid. Lonnie Walker has a higher ceiling than John Collins and Collins is an FA. Also people are way too critical on Luka, the guy has some advanced scoring moves already, it's just defense that he has to work on to get playing time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be borderline stupid. Lonnie Walker has a higher ceiling than John Collins and Collins is an FA. Also people are way too critical on Luka, the guy has some advanced scoring moves already, it's just defense that he has to work on to get playing time
    Collins is a RFA. It's beyond stupid for Atlanta to let Collins go for nothing. Hop off being a Spurs fan and see this through the other team's lens.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends how much Collins asks, but yes. It's getting crowded at guards with Spurs. One of them won't stick long term - DDR, DJ, KJ, DW, LWIV, PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, Collins has a pretty high ceiling, and right now, he'd be the best player on the team under 30

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a quick question, but can Phoenix afford to max out BOTH Ayton and Bridges? Bc if not, that is where I'm looking at if I'm the Spurs. Try to poach talent from other teams. I would trade whoever for either player next season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a quick question, but can Phoenix afford to max out BOTH Ayton and Bridges? Bc if not, that is where I'm looking at if I'm the Spurs. Try to poach talent from other teams. I would trade whoever for either player next season.
    Yes, Paul's deal expires before their extensions kicks in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Close call for me... The fastest way to guaranteeing trouble is signing a non-max player to a max, & I don't know if Collins is a max player, but one advantage he has is he's only been in the league a few years, so his max isn't nearly as high as that of guys like Westbrook or Wall. That's a plus. And I think he'd be easily tradable if it turns out to be a bad fit. But that being said, he's not my favorite target to use the patiently ac ulated cap space on. While putting him between Poeltl & KJ seems somewhat ideal, I also would prefer someone whose defense doesn't need the consideration of hiding-- one reason I was so high on Jonathan Isaac before he got hurt & re-signed. Last year, when Collins was a higher usage rate guy, he was a 20/10 player and his team was pretty bad. This year, he's a lower usage rate player, about 17/8, and his team is at .500... so Collins playing fewer minutes and taking fewer shots has actually been good news for the Hawks, giving a bigger role to two way player De'Andre Hunter. That's a bit of a red flag for me, though I can also see the argument that the Hawks are simply getting better because all of their many young players-- & this includes Collins-- are improving and jelling. Luka and Walker are both really young, having each just turned 21 & 22, and will cost less in the next three years combined than Collins on his own, leaving the Spurs room for another signing... man, it's a really close call, but I think I have to vote no on this and hope the Spurs can find a different route. But that being said, I wouldn't fault them for doing it. I wouldn't label it a bad move by any means, but just not the optimal move in my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All day, every day. That trade would get the Atlanta GM fired btw.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I'd do that, but, Im not convinced ATL doesn't reup him if he can prove he can fetch a max deal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Close call for me... The fastest way to guaranteeing trouble is signing a non-max player to a max, & I don't know if Collins is a max player, but one advantage he has is he's only been in the league a few years, so his max isn't nearly as high as that of guys like Westbrook or Wall. That's a plus. And I think he'd be easily tradable if it turns out to be a bad fit. But that being said, he's not my favorite target to use the patiently ac ulated cap space on. While putting him between Poeltl & KJ seems somewhat ideal, I also would prefer someone whose defense doesn't need the consideration of hiding-- one reason I was so high on Jonathan Isaac before he got hurt & re-signed. Last year, when Collins was a higher usage rate guy, he was a 20/10 player and his team was pretty bad. This year, he's a lower usage rate player, about 17/8, and his team is at .500... so Collins playing fewer minutes and taking fewer shots has actually been good news for the Hawks, giving a bigger role to two way player De'Andre Hunter. That's a bit of a red flag for me, though I can also see the argument that the Hawks are simply getting better because all of their many young players-- & this includes Collins-- are improving and jelling. Luka and Walker are both really young, having each just turned 21 & 22, and will cost less in the next three years combined than Collins on his own, leaving the Spurs room for another signing... man, it's a really close call, but I think I have to vote no on this and hope the Spurs can find a different route. But that being said, I wouldn't fault them for doing it. I wouldn't label it a bad move by any means, but just not the optimal move in my opinion.
    Sure, but they're not going to be able to check every box. He checks enough of them to make sense though, including fitting well with the youth since they're all neutral-plus defenders.

He can start at and space the floor as the four next to Poeltl, then rim run when he's the five and Johnson/Lyles or replacement/Samanic are the four.

They can probably get a more modern four like Gordon (provided the Raptors aren't interested in a DeRozan reunion) instead, but that would make the future offense even more questionable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also to be clear, Collins is having a good defensive year. People are acting like he needs to be hidden, when in reality he can be part of a good defensive team if he has good teammates and a solid scheme. He just can't be an anchor.

Thread Information