View Poll Results: Would you trade both Lonnie and Luka for Collins?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 52.17%
  • No

44 47.83%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.sportstalkatl.com/hawks-...-trade-target/

Seems like the only trade that makes sense for both teams.

It works in the ESPN trade machine : http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Keep in mind, other teams have to get some sort of value back.

Post-trade (before the 2020-2021 season ends):

PG: Murray/ White/ Tre
    SG: Vassell/ Mills/ Q
    SF: DeMar/ Keldon/ KBD
    PF: Collins/ Gay/ Lyles
    C: Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only reason I see a trade centering around Lonnie for Atlanta not working out is if Atlanta sees Lonnie yielding a max contract when his contract ends. If Lonnie does, then this trade makes no sense because the only reason they'd part with Collins probably is because they can't afford him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    makes sense for SA (if they think John might be their future PF), but it doesn't make sense for Atlanta

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not wait for off season and offer him a contract. In this way we might be able to keep Lonnie and see how Luka turns out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not wait for off season and offer him a contract. In this way we might be able to keep Lonnie and see how Luka turns out.
    Because they probably already know they won't pay him the max and they don't want to lose him for nothing? Put yourself in their shoes and not as a Spurs fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    makes sense for SA (if they think John might be their future PF), but it doesn't make sense for Atlanta
    What makes sense for Atlanta?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting White behind Murray
    Joke

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes sense for Atlanta?
    taking into account that they are in win mode now and already have depth in the guard/combo guard slot, certainly Walker doesn't, probably other teams would have better packages to offer, so the best chance for SA would be Collins free agent really wishing to play for Pop.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I love Lonnie I'd make this trade. Collins is a surefire starter/closer and I just don't see Lonnie's BBIQ being enough to start/finish games over our other guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    taking into account that they are in win mode now and already have depth in the guard/combo guard slot, certainly Walker doesn't, probably other teams would have better packages to offer, so the best chance for SA would be Collins free agent really wishing to play for Pop.
    So your answer is hoping Atlanta won't go after the better packages other teams would offer and instead let Collins go for nothing in free agency? Best chance for SA, bad choice for ATL. If Collins' agent was adamant about going to SA, then you'd figure they would find a third time to work with who would take Lonnie. If ATL didn't care about Collins' request to go to SA, they would just go for the best package available.

Also, sending ATL promising players like Lonnie while making sure the salaries match up is going to be very difficult for any team. Which other teams have players on their roster who are still on their rookie contract (and worthwhile enough for Atlanta to trade for) that they'd be willing to depart with for Collins?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is not worth it.

But if ATL chooses not to match SAS offer, that's a different story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your answer is hoping Atlanta won't go after the better packages other teams would offer and instead let Collins go for nothing in free agency? Best chance for SA, bad choice for ATL. If Collins' agent was adamant about going to SA, then you'd figure they would find a third time to work with who would take Lonnie. If ATL didn't care about Collins' request to go to SA, they would just go for the best package available.

Also, sending ATL promising players like Lonnie while making sure the salaries match up is going to be very difficult for any team. Which other teams have players on their roster who are still on their rookie contract (and worthwhile enough for Atlanta to trade for) that they'd be willing to depart with for Collins?
    for the thread question? it would be clearly yes, because it would be a steal for SA (looking at the current level of the players, where NO ONE can guarantee an upside of any of them), looking at the question about both perspectives? undoubtedly, it would be the ONLY way for SA to receive Collins.

ps: obviously looking at the hypothetically offered package, but they would probably accept something like Keldon + Walker / Murray easily.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Collins is their main target for the cap space and they're OK paying him the max or near that then yes, I'd do it. But if they're not prepared to give him the max then it's a bad idea. He may not be worth it but some team will give it to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is not worth it.

But if ATL chooses not to match SAS offer, that's a different story.
    If Collins is SA's plan A all along and their master plan, you would figure they would do everything possible to secure Collins. Otherwise, their plan B would look pale in comparison and probably would be a big drop off.

But then again, these are the Spurs we know, and they tend to not get hung up on their losses and they know to remain flexible for the next opportunity. The Spurs are like master poker players. Low risk turtle-like moves, and they only play their hand when they have 0% chance of losing.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-27-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a tough one... I go back and forth on Collins.. I'm just not sold and when I watched him play last night Hunter was the one that kept catching my eye. He looked like a better stronger 4... Collins is better than anything we've got but giving up assets just to max him out seems questionable.... if I had back channel info from his agent that he'd take $25M instead of a max I'd do it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd prefer to try and sign him in FA and if ATL matches the offer then work out a S&T since iirc their max would be higher than SA's...but I would definitely trade Walker and Samanic for Collins. Lonnie has talent but imo he is too passive to ever really maximize it. Samanic is nothing at this point. So basically trading a solid role player + an unknown young player for a 20/10 player at a position of need? Yes all day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would have done it last offseason, but no matter what, Collins is a RFA this offseason. I’d rather go after him in free agency. Seems like there are some things in our favor. I think there may be a window to do an extend and trade next summer, and I’d probably do that. Do not want to expend assets without being able to lock him up first.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would have done it last offseason, but no matter what, Collins is a RFA this offseason. I’d rather go after him in free agency. Seems like there are some things in our favor. I think there may be a window to do an extend and trade next summer, and I’d probably do that. Do not want to expend assets without being able to lock him up first.
    I agree. And that is why I don’t see the team making a trade for him now. Also, I don’t think they have given up on Luka yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda hard to imagine ATL doing that, Deandre Hunter has looked really good this year, and they have cam Reddish and Bogdan Bogdanovich at the wings, if the spurs threw in a 1st round pick they might do it but spurs wouldn’t imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why when you could try to get Collins in the FA? And still keep Lonnie and Luka, who might still turn out good to great players, nobody knows. What's the rush?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some front office with the gall will trade for him but it won't be the spurs. I really want Collins and i would do this trade in a second but my gut is that SA has no interest in him. At least that is what i'm telling myself so i won't be disappointed when he signs else where.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Collins commits to staying with the Spurs, I would go for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to be a naysayer, I want Collins too but watch the hawks and kings just flip John Collins for Bagley or something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why when you could try to get Collins in the FA? And still keep Lonnie and Luka, who might still turn out good to great players, nobody knows. What's the rush?
    Because Atlanta could very well trade him by the deadline to get value.

Spurs fans want to gain something without giving up something. This is not a dream world.

It's not hard, guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Collins gets moved at the deadline there is less chance he will be available come offseason as that team has given up assets knowing he will cost the max to retain and prepared to offer it. That adds more compe ion because as it stands now only a handful of teams can throw the max at him this offseason: SA, maybe TO if they get creative, NYC, Chicago, Charlotte, Cleveland. Not great options there... a mid season trade brings in potentially more attractive options than joining the Spurs who could compete with the teams above but still has few actual selling points as an organization outside of max contract and starting role.

Thread Information