Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see a lead guard with at least baseline creation for others being viable anymore.
    Same. The "bubble", which was his first extended look, clarified his role/ceiling for me.

Still relatively early, but generally by this point players at least shown flashes or glimpses, beared out by advanced metrics, that indicate they have the potential to be a go-to player and he hasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5th seed after tonight's games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that turned out to be a foul, we would be cussing DJ right now. Was that really the right play or just stay in front of the guy and not risk a foul. Spurs was up 2 pts and just needed a stop.
    I mean the steal was great, but just saying.
    Manu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5th seed after tonight's games

4 thru 13 separated by less than 4 games. I think it's going to be a tight race all year. We'll probably see a couple of teams fade, but I expect 6-12 to stay within 2 to 3 games of each other all season.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're conflating different ideas. A spot-up shooter isn't a black hole. At worst, that player is a chucker. A black hole needs to dominate the ball, and a pure finisher who's behind most guards in touches is definitely not doing that. Walker is not a black hole, whether he assists or not. That's just not a term that applies to him. That doesn't mean that his current role and production isn't replaceable. I wouldn't be as open to Walker trades right now if I thought that. There are ways that trading him could make the team better. That still doesn't make him a black hole, though.

So this is where the conflation comes from. You're applying what Walker is currently, which is a spot-up shooter who doesn't perform well enough at that task to justify him being meh or worse in most other areas, and projecting that onto his development curve. When I say that Lonnie can become an elite guard, I don't mean that he can be a spot-up shooter who doesn't pass. He's already that. I mean he can become a guy who breaks down a defense and then makes a few good passes when him shooting isn't the best option. We're talking about a guy who scores like 25ppg but only tallies like three or four assists rather than a guy who averages seven or eight dimes while scoring in the teens. I think right now, he's not scoring aggressively enough to open the passing lanes to get more assists (and he obviously isn't getting the touches to do that right now regardless). But he has to score first. He's so far from being a black hole right now that he has to become one in order to move past it to be a well-rounded offensive player. He's on the wrong side of the mountain right now, and he might never cross the peak.
    Good points re: Walker.

I would love for him to be much more aggressive. My intuition tells me that he is trying to play a safe game to not make mistakes (fouling and turnovers) and have Pop upset at him. I think he is afraid of stepping on toes as well. Last year in his nuclear Houston game, Patty is the one who told him to take the last shot; Walker was prepared to defer.

I think Walker has a cautious temperament, but he is still improving. I hope that once he feels comfortable with his current role, he will then take the next step up. I see his role as a secondary playmaker with a strong drive and kick game. Learning to finish through contact seems to be the next hurdle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points re: Walker.

I would love for him to be much more aggressive. My intuition tells me that he is trying to play a safe game to not make mistakes (fouling and turnovers) and have Pop upset at him. I think he is afraid of stepping on toes as well. Last year in his nuclear Houston game, Patty is the one who told him to take the last shot; Walker was prepared to defer.

I think Walker has a cautious temperament, but he is still improving. I hope that once he feels comfortable with his current role, he will then take the next step up. I see his role as a secondary playmaker with a strong drive and kick game. Learning to finish through contact seems to be the next hurdle.
    Walker doesn't have the natural instincts of D.White or Vassell. He doesn't have the length of Murray. Doesn't have the size of Keldon.

But, I think he has room to grow. He just defers a lot, but his unselfishness should not be an issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker doesn't have the natural instincts of D.White or Vassell. He doesn't have the length of Murray. Doesn't have the size of Keldon.

But, I think he has room to grow. He just defers a lot, but his unselfishness should not be an issue.
    but he is still the most athletic kid in that group by far, and has the better shooting mechanics.

Thread Information