Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should clarify this doesn’t mean he’s a yes on the final bill, just that he’s a yes on the budget resolution proceeding to a final vote. He’s still not committing to being a yes on the final bill, so we’ll prob hear more hoopla from him about muh bipartisanship right up until the last minute when he votes yay.

He said that Biden should in no way lower his $1.9 trillion ask.
    I stand with Ron Paul and vote for $1.9 trillion sequestration and an additional $1.9 trillion in tax hikes on the uber rich over the next 4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The senate rules are so re ed. All you need is to get a non-elected parliamentarian to determine that a bill fits into the rules of budget reconciliation for it to suddenly no longer require 60 votes for cloture, but somehow the 60 vote cloture rule is considered by half the senate to be a sacred rule that we can’t get rid of (unless the parliamentarian determines a bill doesnt need it). Everything should just be majority rule.
    No, 60 votes is fair, otherwise we'd be a third world country that every time either party gets the slimmest of majorities they enact radical cons utional amendments which spark mass violent riots and corruption. I'd even argue for 67 which is generally the number needed to pass cons utional amendments.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I stand with Ron Paul and vote for $1.9 trillion sequestration and an additional $1.9 trillion in tax hikes on the uber rich over the next 4 years.
    as if Ron Paul ever supported taxing the rich. He was a trickle down supply side re .

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    No, 60 votes is fair, otherwise we'd be a third world country that every time either party gets the slimmest of majorities they enact radical cons utional amendments which spark mass violent riots and corruption. I'd even argue for 67 which is generally the number needed to pass cons utional amendments.
    What the are you talking about? No one is saying cons utional amendments that require a simple majority, just normal legislation. Somehow Western Europe and the rest of the modern world do just fine with majority rule, were the only country with re ed rules about 60% vote for cloture.

You have no idea how government works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as if Ron Paul ever supported taxing the rich. He was a trickle down supply side re .
    Supply side I agree with, trickle down not so much when you consider executives making $11.3 million while "senior managers" that drive the operational success of the company are lucky to make $150K at the ground/office level.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Supply side I agree with, trickle down not so much when you consider executives making $11.3 million while "senior managers" that drive the operational success of the company are lucky to make $150K at the ground/office level.
    Supply side and trickle down are the exact same thing. There’s no difference between the two ideologies. They’re synonyms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the are you talking about? No one is saying cons utional amendments that require a simple majority, just normal legislation. Somehow Western Europe and the rest of the modern world do just fine with majority rule, were the only country with re ed rules about 60% vote for cloture.

You have no idea how government works.
    Even legislation like new deal, healthcare reform, tax cuts, tax hikes, green policies, sanctions/allegiances with foreign countries, declaration of war etc. should be minimum 60% majority of both houses.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Even legislation like new deal, healthcare reform, tax cuts, tax hikes, green policies, sanctions/allegiances with foreign countries, declaration of war etc. should be minimum 60% majority of both houses.
    The Trump tax cuts didn’t get a 60% majority and you had zero issues with them when they happened. It’s revisionist history for MAGA s like you to pretend you ever wanted bipartisanship when Trump was president.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "More than 80,000 people living in West Virginia, where the minimum wage is $8.75 an hour,

will see higher pay if the federal minimum wage is raised to $15 an hour.

But this week, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia made it clear he’s not supportive of the increase."

-- EPI email

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "At least 11 of these 12 centrist Democrats have in the past called for more modest increases in the minimum wage.

Manchin and Coons, as well as Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Jon Tester (D-Mont.), in prior years backed plans to increase the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.

Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-Nev.)
    said in 2016 that she supports a minimum wage of $12 an hour."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...wage-stimulus/
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-04-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "More than 80,000 people living in West Virginia, where the minimum wage is $8.75 an hour,

will see higher pay if the federal minimum wage is raised to $15 an hour.

But this week, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia made it clear he’s not supportive of the increase."

-- EPI email
    will raise the cost of living in WV and/or encourage automation

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    When’s that gonna happen in Seattle? So far it hasn’t.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking from ignorance, you should research the effects of Fed min wage increases, over the decades, and right to today, on unemployment rate, eg Seattle and regions with minimum wage much higher than ( hole Texas') $7.25).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supply side economics has been pretty much thoroughly debunked. Just about every serious study on it seems to pretty much agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supply side and trickle down are the exact same thing. There’s no difference between the two ideologies. They’re synonyms.
    That is pretty much my understanding.

Went looking for specific studies and found a fairly decent 'splainer article that put some minor differences.
    https://www.thebalance.com/supply-si...t-work-3305786
    What annoys me about that article is that it said "reagan put supply side into action" while glossing over the keynesian doubling of defense spending and deficit spending.
    Doesn't do what it is advertised to do. Proponents basically confirmation bias themselves into the position that we are much farther along the Laffer Curve than we almost certainly are.

Kans'as. 'nuff said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this guy doing Moscow Mitch's job for him... where Dems get guys like this? This is why we can't have nice things...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this guy doing Moscow Mitch's job for him... where Dems get guys like this? This is why we can't have nice things...
    Dems should hold off on doing anything significant until 2022 elections. There they have a couple of chances to make him irrelavant. That PA and Wisconsin race look promising.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dems should hold off on doing anything significant until 2022 elections. There they have a couple of chances to make him irrelavant. That PA and Wisconsin race look promising.
    Sorry Reck, this is probably the dumbest thing I read all day. Year one and two of any presidency is when you get things done, especially when you control both chambers.

You have the political capital coming out victorious from the election and that erodes every day you're in power. Barry passed ACA at the end of year two, after working on it the whole year. Trump passed his tax cuts early in year two as well.

Those are the two signature law achievements from the past two administrations.

There's better odds that the GOP flips the House and Senate, and they're not going to have a stupid like Manchin foiling their plans.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Reck, this is probably the dumbest thing I read all day. Year one and two of any presidency is when you get things done, especially when you control both chambers.

You have the political capital coming out victorious from the election and that erodes every day you're in power. Barry passed ACA at the end of year two, after working on it the whole year. Trump passed his tax cuts early in year two as well.

There's better odds that the GOP flips the House and Senate, and they're not going to have a stupid like Manchin foiling their plans.
    Nah you read hater...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

With a 50-50 deadlock and 2 being from red states, good luck.

Barry had his 60 votes. Noncomparable situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the other hand we have the gentlelady from W. Va trying to make the infrastructure deal work. Joe backing down, but its still alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Reck, this is probably the dumbest thing I read all day.
    wreck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How ing stupid you got to be to not realize that in West Virginia you're not getting Bernie Sanders in there?

The real problem is they didn't win more seats now they got to rely on these manchins and sinemas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still salty about Trump’s pants?

How about you counter my argument or shut the up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still salty about Trump’s pants?

How about you counter my argument or shut the up.
    Good luck.
    Thats not gonna happen.

Thread Information