Page 171 of 173 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173 LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 4323
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Talented and coveted.
    Its spare parts that dont work on offense.

UT will never get the best of the best like the blue bloods of basketball unless Beard does what he did at Tech.
    And it may be that the best coach at Texas Tech stayed at Texas Tech.

The last coach that got real talent at UT was Mack Brown. Then he became Grandpa Brown after he got his series of big victories and played in two National Championships. If the kids that Texas just got in the Freshman class on oline dont produce in a year or two then its time to really wonder imo. We got kids that any of the top 5 schools would take on this Oline. By the end of this upcoming year at least one should be starting on what was a horrible Oline that has a year more of experience that Texas mods claim will be much improved. We will see.

The NIL has been a huge advantage for Texas and Texas ATM so far. It should get wilder as we move on unless they do something to change some rules with this and the transfer portal.
    UT has had plenty of top tier players in basketball and football, you're way off. Having them to perform to expectations has been the issue.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    UT has had plenty of top tier players in basketball and football, you're way off. Having them to perform to expectations has been the issue.
    Not to win national championships, especially in basketball. One Kevin Durant for one year is not going to get it done.
    And the expectations, and lets not kid ourselves, are National Championships.
    UT just made an Alabama like haul on the O line because of the NIL. This would never happen without the $ injection. Same with ATM. An alltime great recruiting class in the history of college football since rankings started for an 8-4 team? Who declined to play in a bowl game so as not to get that 5th loss?

We will just disagree here. In football we are not Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson or even LSU. These teams came into our backyard and took/take the very best players. We expect this from Oklahoma. But if we were to look back on Vince Young's last two years and fast forward and say the best players in the State will be going to the schools mentioned... I dont think anyone would believe it. Thats why all the frustration exists now imo. Now if you were and say its the coaches and boosters meddling etc... as the reason we dont get the best, I would have no argument as a big shift has taken place in the players we get.
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-13-2022 at 12:46 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I would also agree we have done very poorly with what we do get, but what we do get is not close to National Championship level.
    Bijan Robinson with a horrible offensive line results in what we saw last year. Bijan getting crushed once opponents figured us out.

I would also say that the stars that go on players from the recruiting sites that are supposed to have these players figured out changes when certain top schools start offering. This is part of the expectation equation in recruiting from a fan perspective. Some of us might think we can look at film and rate players immediately, but in truth we rely on what all the recruiting sites and scouts say that go to the games. And what they have said is the very best players have gone to the schools mentioned above. It also bears out when we look at NC imo.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Not to win national championships, especially in basketball. One Kevin Durant for one year is not going to get it done.
    And the expectations, and lets not kid ourselves, are National Championships.
    UT just made an Alabama like haul on the O line because of the NIL. This would never happen without the $ injection. Same with ATM. An alltime great recruiting class in the history of college football since rankings started for an 8-4 team? Who declined to play in a bowl game so as not to get that 5th loss?

We will just disagree here. In football we are not Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson or even LSU. These teams came into our backyard and took/take the very best players. We expect this from Oklahoma. But if we were to look back on Vince Young's last two years and fast forward and say the best players in the State will be going to the schools mentioned... I dont think anyone would believe it. Thats why all the frustration exists now imo. Now if you were and say its the coaches and boosters meddling etc... as the reason we dont get the best, I would have no argument as a big shift has taken place in the players we get.
    They get very talented big men quite a bit. They don't stay for long, but the ability to get talent is there. 4 C/PFs taken in the lottery the last decade isn't insignificant.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    They get very talented big men quite a bit. They don't stay for long, but the ability to get talent is there. 4 C/PFs taken in the lottery the last decade isn't insignificant.
    True.

But its not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas type depth year in and year out. And I dont expect it to be personally. We are not considered a blue blood basketball school.
    I will give props to Del Conte for getting us they highest rated sports teams overall. But I think we both know football rules and this is where we have had real problems. Our swim teams and baseball, volleyball teams are very secondary in the overall scheme imo.

I think we both went to the school in different time frames. My father got to see Darrell Royal teams win so it has been very disappointing. UT is not a cool school anymore in football. It would be fun to get back there.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    True.

But its not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas type depth year in and year out. And I dont expect it to be personally. We are not considered a blue blood basketball school.
    https://247sports.com/college/texas/...tball/Commits/

I mean, either you haven't really checked or you don't think cracking the top ten like 5 times in the last ten years is duke Kentucky type depth. It should at least be enough for a long run of sweet 16 appearances.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    https://247sports.com/college/texas/...tball/Commits/

I mean, either you haven't really checked or you don't think cracking the top ten like 5 times in the last ten years is duke Kentucky type depth. It should at least be enough for a long run of sweet 16 appearances.
    We dont get the players consistently like the teams mentioned.
    No way we have had their depth. And therefore the consistency really starts to play a role.
    The team with Ford as the guard was the most well rounded team I have "seen" at Texas. And I have not seen this type of team since.
    I have been told that Lemmons put together some good teams (Moore at PG) that had good pieces when they won the secondary tourney in NY.
    Apparently they had some good games against good Houston and Arkansas teams.

Also we have seen that recruiting for kids that can play with each other is important. This year we have seen that play out. They play hard, but have no true top players on offense. So we go very long periods without scoring. No PG that takes people off the dribble, bad three point shooting... FT shooting bad. Those are going to eventually kill you. Like hitting 3s against TCU and then going dead silent. I still have some faith in Beard because despite some really big disappointments this disjointed group has played hard overall.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Colleges producing the most pro players:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/20/mo...cky-statistics

Where is TExas?

1, Kentucky
    2. UCLA
    3. North Carlolina
    4. Duke
    5. Kansas

Did anyone expect Texas in this group? We are not in the Top 10. We dont even make the list.

Its probably better recently with the good one and dones working with very little help (eg. Durant)
    And I agree we should do better. Its just not surprising we have zero NC in basketball. and have made the final 4 once... we may have one more appearance when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. (Like ATms national championship in football.)

The team with Ford as the guard was the most well rounded team I have "seen" at Texas. And I have not seen this type of team since.
    That team was old with a bunch of seniors (Mouton, Ivey, Bod er, Klotz, Thomas, Harris). The problem has been the one and dones. As mentioned we don't reload with McDonald's AAs every year like the blue bloods so the early entrees to the league has hurt us since this team.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That team was old with a bunch of seniors (Mouton, Ivey, Bod er, Klotz, Thomas, Harris). The problem has been the one and dones. As mentioned we don't reload with McDonald's AAs every year like the blue bloods so the early entrees to the league has hurt us since this team.
    And I would imagine role players with Ford at the helm. Ivey made the NBA for a while? So an actual team with a fantastic PG. I dont remember the games that well. I have rewatched some you tubes.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Colleges producing the most pro players:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/20/mo...cky-statistics

Where is TExas?

1, Kentucky
    2. UCLA
    3. North Carlolina
    4. Duke
    5. Kansas

Did anyone expect Texas in this group? We are not in the Top 10. We dont even make the list.

Its probably better recently with the good one and dones working with very little help (eg. Durant)
    And I agree we should do better. Its just not surprising we have zero NC in basketball. and have made the final 4 once... we may have one more appearance when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. (Like ATms national championship in football.)
    using an all-time list to judge the past 10-15 years

no one is saying texas is an all time great team for sending players to the NBA, but they have sent plenty of quality players in recent history. the point is, with the amount of talent sent, the success on the court doesnt compare to it. they should easily be having more sweet 16 appearances than they do.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    using an all-time list to judge the past 10-15 years

no one is saying texas is an all time great team for sending players to the NBA, but they have sent plenty of quality players in recent history. the point is, with the amount of talent sent, the success on the court doesnt compare to it. they should easily be having more sweet 16 appearances than they do.
    Amount of talent has been spread out. Single season Big athletic guys that can block shots other than TJ Ford and Durant. Thats not gonna get it done imo.

And Oh.
    We are judging the past 10-15 years. So just your lifetime.
    Neo's rules.

Would not want to go past Vince young and the success in FOOTBALL in basketball. So 10-15.
    TJ Ford and the semifinals dont count now either.
    Good to know. Thanks Neo.
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-14-2022 at 04:56 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Amount of talent has been spread out. Single season Big athletic guys that can block shots other than TJ Ford and Durant. Thats not gonna get it done imo.

And Oh.
    We are judging the past 10-15 years. So just your lifetime.
    Neo's rules.

Would not want to go past Vince young and the success in FOOTBALL in basketball. So 10-15.
    TJ Ford and the semifinals dont count now either.
    Good to know. Thanks Neo.
    you get more re ed by the day

try reading other people's posts before responding. might help a bit.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    you get more re ed by the day

try reading other people's posts before responding. might help a bit.
    UT is not a blue blood basketball school per their history or the last few years.
    This is my point and they certainly dont get the depth of talent because they dont recruit like the others.
    By the time the tournament comes around, they should be a 4 seed by the talent they have gotten to mathematically be a top 16 team even.
    The reached the so called elite 8 the one time they were a number 2 seed in 2008. What would be expected.
    They failed to get seeded with a team expected to reach the round of 16 once when they were 4th seed since. They were seeded 4 or above exactly 1 time after 2008. Thats 12 out of 13 years or so of not being seeded high enough for consideration as legit?
    So their regular season had already disqualified them from consideration of actually even deserving of getting into the top 16. Thats not even considering not making the tournament which they have zero chance of reaching the top 16. Or final 16...

Now I would agree they should have won 2 in a row in the tourney maybe more than once in the tourney. But they have not, and I believe the team talent level is not good enough to win 2 straight tourney games without a decent amount of luck. And possibly a really good PG to lead like TJ Ford.

I dont expect this years 6 th seed to get into the last 16 with their obvious inconsistent and disjointed offense either.
    By being a 6 seed, they have not been put in a spot not deemed worthy of winning 2 in a row. I hope I am wrong.

Just because you are UT
    does not mean you automatically get great depth of talent anymore. In both sports.
    Just like Worthy and Bijan and maybe Ewers alone are not going to get you to a National Championship.
    All in my opinion of course. No longer a cool school living off a name
    I think people who root for UT and people who dont probably should consider this.
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-15-2022 at 10:48 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    UT is not a blue blood basketball school per their history or the last few years.
    yes and my point was no one said this. but you clearly have a lot of time on your hands to keep making these lengthy replies that no one is going to read because you respond to comments that were never made. have fun

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    yes and my point was no one said this. but you clearly have a lot of time on your hands to keep making these lengthy replies that no one is going to read because you respond to comments that were never made. have fun
    You have read them. But not all the way through.

And it least its something other than your trolling.
    There are people at UT like Blake who are trying to figure this out as well. When you never were considered a great landing spot for basketball, and you have fallen out of that category in football. This is what you get. Years of not being very good. And other teams take a great amount of pleasure in beating a worn out name. That will also end at this rate. The NIL might make the playing field skewed enough to give UT a chance.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    TFloss

God help us...

mean while Horns got a commentment.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    mean while Horns got a commentment.
    has it been identified who commented and what was said? always love to hear comments about the longhorns

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    has it been identified who commented and what was said? always love to hear comments about the longhorns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZsKJ15Dj8 its like 8 minutes.

DL from Houston.

Bobby Burton who moderates most of these videos is really good imo of being realistically pessimistic and excited about UT.
    He is very organized and imo these youtubes are the best if you dont want to do pay sites. The other Utube site (orange bloods) that is consistently available with the fat guy, Geoff Ketchum, is really not very good imo.
    The others concerning Texas football are kind of fleeting, they just kind of come and go.

Once the spring practices start Burton will interview a variety of different "experts". 1)Some that just do recruiting and drive all over the state and country talking to players and their coaches. They are the guys who look at athletic talent. position and HS games and tape. They also try to get a grip on the NIL and transfer portal. 2)Other guests specifically watch UT practice and discuss the type of offense and defense the longhorns might run and give a little insight into the coaching. Kind of hint which coaches they think do a good job and those who dont. (Choate had a bit of warning shot fired at him I believe.) These guests should be important once spring practice begins. 3)And then some guests are national guys who have examined UT compared to other schools.

A small summary of what they (and Burton) have said overall this summer/spring

1. We absolutely need edge players on D that can play run and get to the QB. Think O. Mathis from TCU is a must get. Weakest position along with LB
    2. We have little to no experience at safety and its up in the air.
    3. Think the offensive line will be better but could use a transfer portal OT with experience until the really good freshman get up to speed.
    4. WR is solid getting Neyor and having X, but very thin. Whittington staying healthy would be huge.
    5. TE... weird. No one who is really good at pass catching and blocking, its one or the other. Alabama transfer is really in for passing game. Ja Tavion Sanders looks like he is getting serious about playing.
    6. CB feeling pretty good, lots of people who can be moved around
    7. 2023 recruiting is way early so they have some older videos on everyone we are going after. Arch Manning is a real possibility if we have a "good" season. The Manning's love Sark as they see it. We have a huge recruiting weekend upcoming, lots of kids from all over coming in. So this weekend Im sure this particular You tube group will have lots to say about who did, and who did not show. And then possible commits.
    8. RB loaded

More than you probably wanted. Would be nice if others could share sites and or articles. Again, this coming weekend and the next is where we will know more about 2023

Tell-tell signs a site is dead...

#1 still responding to a thread for last year's recruiting class when that class is signed.

#2 ppl still asking for floss lmao

Time to forget about this site guys

3 posters who onlypost to snark.

Did Owens make it in for the big weekend? I have not heard anything about him.

Did I destoy the site?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yes

Thread Information