Page 35 of 173 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Inside Texas

Let’s recap a highly entertaining afternoon and night on the Texas internet.

Alabama grad transfer Ben Davis makes the long-expected announcement.

The timing of the switch from Todd Orlando’s tight front (three-man featuring two 4i defensive ends) to Chris Ash’s four-man look coincided with Texas landing three defensive linemen ideally suited for the former alignments. To be sure, those guys in the 2020 class were great takes, but not landing a true edge left the program a year behind on transitioning to more ideal personnel.

That has proven to be little trouble for the new staff as it has landed a whopping three players from playoff and National Championship caliber schools. LSU‘s Ray Thornton is already on campus and he’ll soon be joined by Notre Dame’s Ovie Oghuofo and Alabama’s Ben Davis, who just graduated from Alabama.

On top of this, the staff landed four-star high schooler David Abiara between the first and second signing day.

Texas needs to hit on younger guys at the position in order to restock. Thornton and Davis will only have this next season to play. Oghuofo actually has three to play, but might only play two. Texas needs to hit on him in order to bridge the younger talent. They may need another graduate transfer next year, too, but they’ve shown that shouldn’t be a problem.

Dylan Dylan Dylan

Not to be outdone by Steve Sarkisian, Chris Beard added Vanderbilt hoops transfer Dylan Disu as he elected to bring his scoring, length, and rebounding ability home to Texas. This was a huge need as Texas may lose Jericho Sims to....somewhere.

From @Gerry Hamilton: The 6-foot-9 versatile stretch four that led the SEC in rebounding in 2020-21 came out of Pflugerville Hendrickson High as a top 130 ranked prospect in the 2019 class nationally. He picked Vanderbilt over offers from Georgia Tech, SMU, Texas A&M, Stanford, DePaul and Tulsa.

(15.0 points, 9.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Shadrach Banks jumps in the portal

And Denver Harris jumps on Leon O’Neal.

Honestly, I don’t know what the lede is here. That Texas has a chance for Banks, or Harris’ destruction of O’Neal. It would seemingly be the chance to add a high level talent at linebacker, but the sheer wordsmithing offered by Harris in defense of Banks makes it too close to call.

In case you missed it, every UT fan’s favorite A&M safety O’Neal quoted the news of Banks entering the portal with “Little homie couldn’t get open anyway.” To which Banks’ friend and former teammate at North Shore, Denver Harris, replied, “bro you’re naturally a whole weirdo.”

Amazing stuff.

Banks committed to A&M early in the process after having spent a lot of time in Bryan/College Station because of a cousin who attended the school. With the previous staff, Texas was never much of a threat even though Tom Herman fetishized stronger slot receivers. Banks looks to be outgrowing receiver and should be destined for linebacker. Texas and TCU are the two potential landing places we’ve heard.

Zac Swanson late night surprise

It’s not a surprise the 2022 defensive lineman committed but the 10 o’clock late night timing was. Of course he’s from Arizona (Brophy Prep, Phoenix) and nobody really knows what time it is there because most of the state doesn’t observe Daylight Savings Time. @Zona Horn is reading this with a miner’s lamp on right now.

I don’t want to overhype the commitment, but it is a good data point that Sark and his staff can shut down leans if given the opportunity to get players to Austin. This is something we’ll be watching for in June.

Under Mack Brown, Texas was able to flip the script on a number of recruitments because of the experience players had in Austin. Texas may be getting back to that point, but first and foremost the staff needs to land the leans and then win some ballgames.

The overall Texas experience can do a lot of the heavy lifting in a recruitment but the staff will always need to do its part. I think that’s where things are heading.

Swanson’s a good one with a projectable frame to carry 290 pounds. If he keeps most of that stellar quickness off the ball, he could be a good one.

Swanson really reminds me of a younger BRob from the 05 Championship and Vikings. Dude can be a monster as 4i like Moro was on Saturday

Robison was a pretty elite shot putter. Good enough to compete on the Texas T & F team.

Swanson has pretty good genes, but I'm not sure he's in the same athleticism category as Robison.

I will agree Robison or Jared Allen is a better comparison than JJ Watt or the Bosas.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Robison was a pretty elite shot putter. Good enough to compete on the Texas T & F team.

Swanson has pretty good genes, but I'm not sure he's in the same athleticism category as Robison.

I will agree Robison or Jared Allen is a better comparison than JJ Watt or the Bosas.
    Robison was on another level as a player and Athlete no doubt about. Dude was crazy gifted.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    IT:

Texas continues to have talks with Shadrach Banks today. It’s down to Texas and TCU most feel.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Don’t like the comparisons to Robinson or Jared Allen for anyone. We’ve had several that were supposed to be that good and none ever materialized.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It is slow out there today! Thought this was cool.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Matt Coleman going pro...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Matt Coleman going pro...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas offers 2023 Des Moines (IA) Southeast Polk OL Kadyn Proctor.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kadyn-Proctor-46099829/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm guessing these kids should really think hard about jumping so quickly. You only get 1 transfer.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm guessing these kids should really think hard about jumping so quickly. You only get 1 transfer.

I'm also guessing with the July 1 deadline there is no use quitting on the Team, if you don't win the starting job (QB's, etc.). You can't jump anywhere else the same year.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Owasso (OK, Tulsa area) DT Chris McClellan

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-McClellan-46100996/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Free