Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Bobby Burton:

In case you didn’t notice, the bomb that college football needed exploded yesterday.

On the heels of the 9-0 Supreme Court decision announced two weeks ago allowing a scholarship sports player to earn money from his “Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL)” , the intentions of Texas and Oklahoma to play ball in the SEC have been laid bare.

Why the SEC, why the change of heart from years back?

The major negative that most Texas power brokers saw with the SEC a decade ago - and what Mack Brown argued against for ever going to the SEC - has been all but eliminated because of the NIL. Mack also espoused the virtue of an easier path to the college football playoff, something some writers still seem to be too keen on.

As for the impact of the NIL, why should Texas fret about alleged or rumored under the table payouts to players when the most valuable payouts can now be made entirely above board?

But there is more than just one facet to this story.

The maneuverings of Texas Board of Regent chair Kevin Eltife will go down as legendary.

Not only did Eltife and Texas president Jay Hartzell have the foresight to begin their own process late last year, one they kept close to the vest and well before the outcome of the NIL ruling. But they also made the choice to look more deeply into some of the negative myths of the SEC and dig in further, which is something no previous administration had the will or wont to do.

The SEC was chosen by Eltife and Hartzell for multiple reasons, the keybeing geographical proximity for the travel of sports teams and Texas fans and the financial reward for the athletic department.

The ACC and Big 10 were both deemed viable but inferior choices.

As for the Big 12?

As a high-ranking official texted me yesterday, “it was getting boring around here.”

Make no mistake, the outreach of Texas and OU to the SEC is legitimate.

I have confirmed that up and down the list of Texas power brokers, those that are both official and unofficial.

What’s more, it’s interesting to me to see the unanimous approval of the action by those BMDs.

If Texas and OU head to the SEC, the conference will control all major media markets from the state of Texas to Florida.

As it stands right now, the SEC competes heavily in the two major Texas media markets of Dallas and Houston. But as long as Texas and OU remain in another conference, the SEC will never own those markets.

It’s quite different to own those markets, ones where college sports actually matter, from a pricing perspective. And that’s something Texas A&M must get its head around lest it explodes.

As for the Aggies, there is little doubt that they were the reason for the leak yesterday.

Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle first published the scoop. Brent has covered the Aggies for approximately 20 years and I have spoken with him on and off during that time.

While some on here may think Brent is an Aggie shill largely because he covers the Aggies, I absolutely don’t. I think he’s an excellent reporter and has been for decades. He just happens to be on the Aggie beat and has developed unparalleled sources in his time there.

That being said, there is little doubt that Zwerneman’s sources were from high up the food chain or he wouldn’t have run the story.

At A&M, it doesn’t get any higher than Chancellor John Sharp, a former state politician of some renown.

So what is the Texas take on this story becoming public yesterday?

“The Aggies engineered the release to create friction on the process…..which it does,” another high-ranking Texas source texted me yesterday.

The same source however also followed that with, “there is definite mutual interest (between Texas and the SEC).”

The timing of any such move is interesting. I’m not going to pretend to know all the ins and outs, because there are still more questions than answers

Whether that is about the Grant of Media Rights to the Big 12 through 2025 or notifying the Big 12 of Texas’ intention to move from the conference, the speed of these transactions can occur at a lightning pace or a snails.

One of Eric Nahlin’s key sources on this clearly believes things are moving faster, not slower.

There are so many aspects to this story that it’s hard to compile them all in one place or even digest them all in a single day.

But suffice to say, the game is afoot. The bomb has been dropped, and intentions have been made known.

What will the aftermath be?

I don’t know, but get ready for the ride because realignment is here whether you like it or not.

Not that I am or should be the final arbiter of such things. The Texas alumni and fan base will be.

But I for one applaud the move by Eltife and Hartzell. Let’s go.

Where do you stand?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    So what, Texas moves from #5 in recruiting to #4?

Then instead of only having to get through OU every to get to the playoffs, you'll have to get through the SEC teams.

I mean, if aggy had stayed in the big 12 they might have actually been in the playoffs right now instead of the chick fila bowl.

Just saying, although the matchups would be awesome, I wouldn't get all excited from the standpoint of being any closer to a national le game.
    Texas will gain a stronghold on Houston kids. That’s major.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    That makes sense because I'm not sure Houston kids know much about UT football. It's so far away from Austin and all.

How. IMO it will give LSU a better chance.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    year in year out a handful of 4 and 5 star recruits in Texas choose SEC schools simply for the SEC exposure

if this move happens, that alone will improve recruiting just in the state of texas. not only that, but now other recruits outside the state that choose SEC teams for the same reason will now have Texas as an option, who also is arguably the biggest brand in college football. what better way to get national exposure than to play in th SEC for the biggest brand in the nation?

that being said... they really need to start winning and sending more high draft picks to the NFL pretty quickly to take advantage of the likely boost to recruiting and value that this all brings, otherwise it all may fade quickly

How. IMO it will give LSU a better chance.
    Because recruiters can sell the kids will now be playing in the SEC. going against the very top talent. Highest level of exposure. Sark has got to produce wins

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That makes sense because I'm not sure Houston kids know much about UT football. It's so far away from Austin and all.
    No. A lot of them want to play SEC. getting to stay and do it in Austin. Yeah.

SEC more hype than fact. Texas - Georgia, OU -Fla did these games prove how mighty the SEC is?Its money and not much else

No. A lot of them want to play SEC. getting to stay and do it in Austin. Yeah.
    A lot of them want to play for winners Ohio St. Alabama etc. Just like they went to FSU years ago

If you want them in Austin then win and they will come.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    A lot of them want to play for winners Ohio St. Alabama etc. Just like they went to FSU years ago

If you want them in Austin then win and they will come.
    I’m telling you brotha. If everyone wanted just a winner they would all go to Alabama. Of course they can only recruit so many. They want exposure so they can play at the NFL level, SEC gets ALOT of players drafted. Texas is a brand of its own. Put them in the SEC, the recruits will flock to them.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    seriously, it's like a lot of you would be okay losing games as long as you're #1 in recruiting

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    seriously, it's like a lot of you would be okay losing games as long as you're #1 in recruiting

They would compete a lot better than Aggy. Texas would compete a lot better than Georgia, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, etc.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    LMAO

I’m telling you brotha. If everyone wanted just a winner they would all go to Alabama. Of course they can only recruit so many. They want exposure so they can play at the NFL level, SEC gets ALOT of players drafted. Texas is a brand of its own. Put them in the SEC, the recruits will flock to them.
    Flock to Texas only if they win big? I do not see Ohio St, Clemson or OU hurting for recruits they win.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Thread Information