Page 168 of 173 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 4323
    Card man?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    We were told how deep and talented our D line was at the beginning of the year last year. (second only to the RB position)
    We had zero ability on the edge.
    We were told how our d lineman would occupy the opponents O line so the linebackers could make plays.
    Our LBs could not find a RB, no vision. And the Lbs who might have been able to actually read seams were mud slow. Overshown is playing college football again this year because he was bad and he got hurt. We had to put an ex receiver from the NW to play safety... Have either one of our ex safetys "stars" Foster/Amidora been picked up in the portal? Why not... ? 5 and 4 star at S not swooped up immediately?

Surely Patterson can tell if guys our out of position and who can play what on defense.
    We get told that players will be put in a position to succeed and we play LBs next to Overshown who cant even move well. And Overshown just cant find people.
    imo lots of fixing on both O line and D line as well and hope our QBs survive if our O line fails to block again. Its no mistake that our best recruiting for this next year relied heavily on people who can play hopefully play O line. And imo we still need Campbell badly as we might have to have two true FR Olinemen starting.

We really need a good season and play really good games. Or we wont be able to take advantage of the recruiting gifts we were given by coaches switching schools and the NIL money again like we did this year.

Best edge man was hurt most of the season Jones! Do not worry chances we will beat Kansas this year.

Patterson will probably be gone soon. And PK wasn’t exactly put in a good spot. The defense was not good. But the offense sucked too. So Sark is responsible for most of that.
    Hopefully they will pick his brain for 1 year and show him the door. Patterson is an egomaniac. That kind of gets old quick.
    PK was awesome in Washington and in Boise State. He was a big reason Peterson had so much success in both places. He needs a little time but I think we he will make our defense great.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    o!

o!

Get out the wallet !!!

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    Get out the wallet !!!
    I did, unfortunately all I found was an expired coupon for HEB and some lint.

I did, unfortunately all I found was an expired coupon for HEB and some lint.
    Haha. You must not be an Aggie

He's Florida or LSU bound.

That’s what I’m hearing too. But recruiting has been crazy. NIL money has everything upside down. You just never know these days.
    I think Campbell is solid, but I am nervous

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Inside Texas hinting this Morning that Texas more than likely will not be joining the SEC until 2024.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    2023 Notes form IT:

On Tuesday we discussed the landscape from a university perspective, today Eric Nahlin and Gerry Hamilton cover the talent angle for the 2023 recruiting class.

Where is the in-state 2023 class strong and where is this class lacking?

GH: Wide receiver is going to be a strength every year in the Lone Star State as a spread-heavy state with a strong 7v7 presence. The 2023 class is very good with depth at slot receiver types. Defensive line is pretty strong as well. Same thing with cornerback, which should also always be the case in Texas. Depth on the offensive line is lacking in 2023, and it will especially look that way when being judged against stacked classes of 2021 and 2022 on the OL.

EN: I like the D-line quite a bit, mainly because of the defensive end and EDGE options. Wide receiver has a good mix of smaller and bigger receivers. I think some of the slots GH mentions can play inside and outside, which is an added advantage when Steve Sarkisian is recruiting. Defensive back is strong in general, with three top-flight corners already and a number of safety targets who can play at Texas. Off-the-ball linebacker is mostly MIA, but having Anthony Hill as an option is better than in most cycles. There are some intriguing athletes at the position. Evaluation will be extremely important there. Quarterback isn’t a strength, but UT might not enter the in-state market. Tight end is not deep, but Texas shouldn’t have to dig too far down anyway. One thing on O-line, I’m waiting to see how many come to light in the spring. Schools will have their first real spring to evaluate in a couple of years. The current crop isn’t as good as years past but Texas could still have a successful class if it recruits the existing group well.

Every cycle has a certain number of players who aren’t fungible, in other words, once you miss on them, it’s very difficult to replace them. Who are those players in this class?

GH: Rueben Owens at running back. This will be an Texas vs. Texas A&M decision at the end of the day, and the loser of the race will not have a back in the state that can replace the talent level of Owens. Anthony Hill also falls into that category. The linebacker position also lacks high-end depth making Hill’s recruitment a huge one. With Texas struggling recruiting the linebacker position, it’s even more impactful.

EN: I agree on both of those, fortunately Texas can recruit running back nationally. Not comparing Owens to Zach Evans, but it could be like 2020 where UT is forced to go out of state. It worked out well that time. Hill is the one that really stands out because of the need and UT’s issues recruiting the position. I’d add Dalton Brooks to the mix. With Peyton Bowen already committed to Notre Dame, Brooks is the only other elite safety I’ve seen so far. I’ve seen good options, but Texas needs to land at least one elite talent in this class. I also don’t view Jaydon Chatman as fungible — there just aren’t a lot of left tackle candidates in the cycle.

A follow-up, who are the players in the running to be ranked five-stars?

GH: David Hicks is a 5-star prospect. He’s likely to remain a top 10-15 level prospect nationally the entire way barring something unforeseen. Markis Deal, if being evaluated as an offensive lineman, could push to be a 5-star. His defensive lineman athleticism with a tremendous frame provides the opportunity. Deal prefers to be recruited as a defensive lineman, however. The spring camp circuit, testing and spring on the track will be key for some others that could in the conversation.

EN: When Ian Boyd was watching Deal to write about him for a Notebook, his immediate text was, “why isn’t this guy a five-star, again?” Gerry laid out the reasons but that just tells you the upside of Deal on offense. Even Ian can see it! Hicks is a sure-fire five-star. I like Javien Toviano as one as well. Owens is a five-star to me and based on junior film, Johntay Cook is in the running, though probably more of a top 50 player. I go back and forth on Hill as a five-star.

Every class also has players who have the traits, but not necessarily the tape and therefore have more upside than their ranking would indicate. A guy we both liked in 2022 was Michael Ibukun-Okeyode from Rowlett. Who are some guys with higher NFL ceilings than their current rating suggests?

GH: EDGE Enow Etta instantly comes to mind on that Ibukun-Okeyode trajectory. Round Rock defensive tackle and recent Texas offer Ansel Nedore has that look and upside ability. One more is Rockwall wide receiver Noble Johnson, but as a linebacker with edge and space ability. Watch out for North Shore safety Jayven Anderson as a linebacker long term as well.

EN: Etta is a good pick and I’m surprised we haven’t heard more noise between him and Texas. Nedore, too. There’s some Moro Ojomo to him. Braylan Shelby is rated fairly high, but not high enough based on his combo of length and athleticism. Your clip of offensive lineman Ian Reed last night puts him in this category. I really like Flood’s evaluation of Andre Cojoe as well. He has the baseline traits in excess, he’s just still really young.

What players are you higher on after their recently completed junior years? Maybe you were a skeptic at first but now they have your full attention.

GH: On3 was the first to rank Ryan Niblett, so I wasn’t a skeptic. With that said, he is going to push to be a top 40 prospect in this class if he does what is expected on the track this spring. The Eisenhower staff thinks 10.6 in the 100m, 21.0 in the 200m and a 48’0” triple jump are likely this spring. Johntay Cook has gotten back on the daily grind with Margin Hooks, and that was needed. He had some jaw dropping drops early in the season in a loss at Converse Judson. He’s back and focused, looking more like a top 60 level prospect nationally.

EN: I thought cornerback Braxton Myers had a good year. He’s still a safety in my view, but he’s going to be a good college player. I’ve had issues with Jaden Greathouse’s fit dating back to his freshman year, but I’m over it. He just moves too well and should kill it as a flexed receiving option if he finds the right offense.

With the class not being as talented as in previous years, what’s the proper percentage of Texas recruits vs out of state recruits?

GH: Tough call there. Eight of the 27 signees were from out of state in the 2022 class. So much depends on how Texas fares on the field this season, and the chief compe ion for in-state talent. Oklahoma and LSU new staffs, and can Texas A&M ascend on the field under Jimbo Fisher? If Texas handles business and wins eight or nine games, then that OOS number gets smaller. The move to the SEC sell should resonate pretty well too. I’ll say seven of 25 comes from out of state.

EN: Another tough call is, will they go down their in-state board? Not necessarily reach, because we know Sark doesn’t do that, but take guys they really like instead of love. They‘re in good standing with a number of players they’ve offered. With the additions of Tashard Choice and Brennan Marion, I think they’ll look to recruit outside Texas borders a bit more. I think the number will be between 7 and 10. If they land Arch Manning, he’ll count as one, but maybe a handful more as UT would be able to recruit more nationally with him in the class.

Where will the staff have the most success looking for out of state prospects and do any individual recruits strike you as Texas having a legitimate chance?

GH: Has to be Louisiana for me. Closest state, and questions surrounding Brian Kelly at LSU. On300 No. 14 Zalance Heard talks with Bo Davis almost daily. That recruitment will come down to staying strong about being recruited as a defensive tackle, and Nick Saban only offering down the line as an offensive lineman.

EN: Definitely Louisiana, though they’ll try for one-offs in Utah, Florida, Georgia, etc. Heard is a real target, as is corner back Jordan Matthews.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    IT:

What, if anything, did we learn about the staff from the 2022 cycle that will carry over to 2023?

GH: The main thing is that Steve Sarkisian and staff are going to recruit the top targets through the whistle. They proved that they will stay in the fight, and are focused on signing the players they view as the best high school prospects. The Texas staff may be forced to take that strategy outside the state lines more in the 2023 cycle as the in-state crop isn’t quite to the level of the special 2022 cycle and tremendous 2021 cycle.

EN: That’s my main takeaway, too. The resolve to not reach, even as the class labored at times, pairs well in the portal climate where you can address class deficiencies. We saw this specifically at quarterback, where they initially signed Maalik Murphy, a player who will need time to develop; at tight end where they didn’t sign a high schooler; and at wide receiver.

I think we also learned, or confirmed some individual thoughts about the coaches as recruiters. Bo Davis still has the Midas touch and connections in the South. Kyle Flood had some struggles, and required some luck, but when it counted he showed he had good relationships in place to take advantage of that luck. Terry Joseph showed perhaps the most resolve by staying on Terrance Brooks until the very end. Jeff Banks probably didn’t get the credit he deserved on a number of “assists.” He held up his end of the bargain.

On the flip side, we learned Jeff Choate might not be up to the task to recruit the same type of quality of linebacker to Texas we saw in O-line, D-line, and DB recruiting. That’s instructive as Texas prepares to go all out for Denton Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill.

What is UT’s standing in the 2023 cycle as it prepares to officially kick off?

GH: Texas needs to win on the field, period. The staff is liked as personalities and seen in a positive manner. But that doesn’t matter if the wins don’t come this season. Texas is not the “cool school” with the majority of top prospects right now, and there is only one way to change that perception. Texas needs Quinn Ewers to be really good, and the wins to follow.

EN: Fans need to mentally kick the success of 2022 high school and portal recruiting to the curb and buckle up for a roller coaster 2023 cycle. If you don’t believe us, believe Steve Sarkisian who, out of necessity, is already showing much more early aggression this cycle than last.

The costs of 5-7 come due at some point, and that’s going to be this spring and perhaps early summer. That written, the school itself, regardless of coaching staff, sets a high floor. Every cycle UT has natural leans due to academics, location, and tradition. While 5-7 does sting, many coaches do have individual track records they can sell. On top of that, NIL should help medicate some of the aches associated with the disappointing season.

Two new volume recruiters in Brennan Marion and Tashard Choice will also help.

The landscape has changed tremendously in the region in a very short time. Let’s first talk about changes at Texas Tech, TCU, as well as Baylor’s impact after winning the Big 12.

GH: TCU will be the thorn in the side due to its recruiting staff. A lot of recruiting chops on the Horned Frogs staff. TCU will need to have some instant success on the field next season, however. That is because Baylor is established under Dave Aranda, and Joey McGuire will battle hard in the DFW area for the same prospects. Should Texas Tech make a little noise in year-one under McGuire, the job of the TCU staff becomes tougher. Baylor’s Big 12 Championship will certainly help get prospects on campus in the 2023 and 2024 cycles.

EN: New coaches equal new energy, and high school players gravitate to energy (e.g., early returns on Choice and Marion at Texas). Sonny s has a number of young, hungry recruiters, on top of in-state familiarity and a good reputation throughout the state. Dave Aranda has the abrupt turnaround that led to a Big 12 Championship to sell, on top of his own defensive chops and Jeff Grimes’ track record on offense. Joey McGuire has energy, a quality staff by Tech standards, and is incredibly popular in Dallas. He also knows the Baylor sell quite well, having coached there under both Matt Rhule and Aranda.

Both Aranda and McGuire are making a clear push to get in good with the 2023 under-the-radar players, as well as the 2024 class. In particular, Aranda shows a keen, early eye for talent.

Texas shouldn’t be in too many direct battles with these schools, but don’t be surprised when these three schools land their share of players who are good enough to be at UT.

Lincoln Riley departs Oklahoma for USC. In turn, OU hires Brent Venables as head coach and Jeff Lebby as offensive coordinator. How does this new look OU impact UT?

GH: The immediate perception is very tough for the Sooners with the departure of Caleb Williams and offensive friends. With that said, this staff is already doing work in the DFW area with 2023 On3 Consensus four-star QB Jackson Arnold. Oklahoma will compete in Texas, as always, but the meat of the recruiting success will come from Texas and east with the move to the SEC. The big question for the new Oklahoma staff will be replacing the strong state of California recruiting over the last few years. The departure of Riley to USC hurts that quite a bit.

EN: My main takeaway is, with all the losses OU has experienced since Riley departed, their 2023 class is sure to be quite large. This means they can be more aggressive in their willingness to take players UT might like, but not quite love. This could hurt UT, especially if Sark et al don’t gain much traction this spring and summer.

Landing Arnold not only gives Venables a strong foothold in ultra-talented Denton, but also DFW.

OU’s pitch this year, for once, will be style over substance. This isn’t the same team that threatened to make the playoffs every year, but Venables will be able to sell it as such because of how strong that program has been this century. He also retained some members from Riley’s staff.

A similar question regarding LSU. Out goes Ed Orgeron, in comes Brian Kelly and some peculiar staff moves. How do the changes in Baton Rouge affect Texas?

GH: To start, unless it’s Nick Saban the LSU fanbase isn’t going to be completely onboard with a new hire. Brian Kelly will win because he’s a college Hall of Fame level coach. He’s not the best fit personality-wise. He will have a tremendous coaching staff, and win over people over time. With that said, the state is open to more high-level prospects leaving initially. For Texas, the more Kelly struggles early and on the field in year-one, the better. Texas has to have some level of success in the Pelican State with the state of California being tougher with Lincoln Riley at USC.

EN: With the way the staff is structured, I see opportunity for Texas to exploit. Terry Joseph, Bo Davis, and defensive analyst Cordae Hankton have strong relationships throughout the state. In particular, UT should make things interesting with defensive prospects in Louisiana.

The other side of that coin, is, that LSU staff won’t be able to initially poach Texas talent.

Jimbo Fisher was forced to replace defensive coordinator Mike Elko, but curiously losing a successful long-term defensive coordinator didn’t slow down the Aggie recruiting train. Will A&M pick up where they left off and challenge for another No. 1 ranked overall class?

GH: Not sure about No. 1 overall because the state of Texas won’t be littered with 5-stars and top 50 prospects to the level of 2022. With that said, the Aggies are recruiting nationally with tremendous success. The No. 1 class was the latest in five straight top 10 classes. The momentum coming off No. 1 class and beating Alabama with a lot of future NFL Draft selections to come has a “mini cool school” feeling going right now in recruiting. Prospects are more curious than any time in my two decades plus in the business. Texas A&M is extremely serious about doing what Georgia just did, end a drought - and a much longer one.

EN: Credit to the Aggies for their organization and ability to take advantage of the new recruiting climate. They caught a lot of schools napping in their own territory. It’s doubtful they’ll be able to poach the same level of players from hotbeds like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Sweden again, but they are not going away and will have another top 5 class unless Jimbo Fisher hits the point of recruiting stagflation stagnation in his fifth year.

Who are the big, early recruiting battles between UT and A&M?

GH: David Hicks was one, but that has turned into Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma. Markis Deal could be another. Johntay Cook is one the Aggies would love to beat Texas on to grab big early momentum. Rueben Owens would be a big beat down of Texas too, especially with Tashard Choice now in Austin. And then there is Anthony Hill. Hill was thought to be a Texas vs. Oklahoma battle in the closer-to-home race, but the Aggies will be right there. If Texas A&M beats Texas out for Dalton Brooks, the Longhorns fanbase will not be happy. Texas A&M fancied beating out Texas for Johnny Bowens, but the Longhorns staff wasn’t all-in on the San Antonio area upside prospect. That is not the case with the others.

EN: Texas is going to be fine on the offensive and defensive lines, and running back as well. Owens will be a big priority, make no mistake, but UT is positioned well to go out of state and capitalize on Bijan Robinson’s success, not unlike when they pulled Robinson out of Arizona despite a strong instate running back class in 2020. I’m watching Anthony Hill with extreme interest. UT hasn’t recruited linebacker well of late, which makes him even more important. For the first time in a long time, I have confidence UT will recruit wide receiver well, but losing Cook to A&M would be a very bad beat. As it stands right now, with all the new data points, I still feel UT is in a good spot for Cook.

What will a successful 2023 class look like for Texas?

GH: A top 10 class with needs met at linebacker, continued quality depth on the offensive line, and more high end talent on the defensive line. Can’t express enough how big it is to keep signing high-end offensive line and defensive line talent. On the defensive line, it needs to be the talent that Texas will face in the SEC conference. That will be something to watch moving forward. It can’t be two steps down in overall athletic ability in big frames on the defensive front.

EN: Landing Arch Manning and letting the skill talent fall into place. They absolutely have to address wide receiver with elite players, not good ones. To build a program, you have to turn your elite talent into positions that recruit themselves. That means taking advantage of having Bijan Robinson at running back and Xavier Worthy at wide receiver. Find a frontline off-the-ball linebacker and two other prospects who can become that. On the lines, I’m more interested in prospects with high ceilings than high floors. The largesse of the previous class, in conjunction with access to the portal, should allow them time to develop upside players rather than finding those who can play immediately. They need clean-fit corners more so than safeties.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Texas4ever verry nice articles thanks. Only thing I disagre on is Cook there is 3-4 more WRS as good as him.

Get Manning and skill positions will follow.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Look at Mack Brown putting in work at UNC. The best salesman in the college football country bar none

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Look at Mack Brown putting in work at UNC. The best salesman in the college football country bar none
    When he was an announcer it became clearer to me. He is really a very approachable fellow.
    Grandpa Mack is basically a nice guy who enjoys people, so he found the right profession. Salesman.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    When he was an announcer it became clearer to me. He is really a very approachable fellow.
    Grandpa Mack is basically a nice guy who enjoys people, so he found the right profession. Salesman.
    He's the nicest guy you'll ever meet. My friend works for LHN/ESPN, and I have got in free to see basketball games through the back with him and a borrowed press pass. I talked to him for several minutes, and he remembered my name when the conversation ended. All we said was Hey, Mack and he came over to say hi. I can easily see how he would be at home anywhere talking to any recruit. That being said, he needed to go.

Best snake oil sales man bar none. fify

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns